Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 02:49:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Discussion about 10,000BTC Bet (Official)  (Read 104432 times)
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2012, 02:24:39 AM

This is exactly the level of discourse that this topic deserves.
I am starting to hate money too, LightRider.

It's not about hating money, it's about recognizing its flaws and building a better paradigm.

Paradigm of implementation, not paradigm of concept. Bitcoin is still, at the basic level, a medium of exchange - also known as money.

I'm referring to a resource based economy, which eschews money, as opposed to our current monetary system, which promotes corruption, destruction and death.

Again, paradigm of implementation.

And I've never really understood how anything gets done in a "resource based economy."

We begin to operate on the basis of math, science and reality, as opposed to assumptions, fantasy and false authority.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 02:51:29 AM

I have a feeling that payments will be going out this weekend, so I would advise everyone to get their bitcoins ready for payment to Matthew.

~DonShrents

I have the same feeling, hence why I sent this message to Matt earlier today - just for the record:

"Matt, I already made some side deals to neutralize my bet with you, so in the event pirate doesn't pay I would need the 6K to repay these other people. So right now I'm "all in" with pirate."

So yeah, I've got all my chips on P right now. It seems odd I know, but I think it's actually the most likely outcome based on the evidence as I see it. If I'm wrong I will suffer for it, but I'm taking a stand. As Sherlock Holmes said: eliminate the impossible, and then whatever is left, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

Btw if you happen to know pirate, can you confirm that he has my new withdrawal address for this final account transaction?

ta,
BA
It's impossible that pirate is a scammer?
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 02:57:36 AM

Is matthew still taking bet increases?  Closed out several client accounts today.  Can transfer to BTC on request though the xfer would take a few days since it isn't on gox already.

1750 BTC

1EzdZBu6DJUqScXFbRYbTXPqTcXNAUKAxc

People who aren't willing to roll the dice should stop trolling.  You just look like idiots.  Put at least some skin in the game if you want to mouth off.  it doesn't matter if it's $5 or $5000.

Accepted

DonShrents

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 02:59:57 AM

Is matthew still taking bet increases?  Closed out several client accounts today.  Can transfer to BTC on request though the xfer would take a few days since it isn't on gox already.

1750 BTC

People who aren't willing to roll the dice should stop trolling.  You just look like idiots.  Put at least some skin in the game if you want to mouth off.  it doesn't matter if it's $5 or $5000.

Accepted

Matthew, please inform the Powers that Be when you are finished taking bets, so that final payouts for BTCST can be arranged and completed prior to your deadline.

~DonShrents
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 03:00:28 AM

1750 BTC

Accepted

Matthew, please inform the Powers that Be when you are finished taking bets, so that final payouts for BTCST can be arranged and completed prior to your deadline.

~DonShrents

SHH. I SAID PM ME ONLY.

legolouman

Activity: 504

Decent Programmer to boot!

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 03:09:58 AM

I have a feeling that payments will be going out this weekend, so I would advise everyone to get their bitcoins ready for payment to Matthew.

~DonShrents

I have the same feeling, hence why I sent this message to Matt earlier today - just for the record:

"Matt, I already made some side deals to neutralize my bet with you, so in the event pirate doesn't pay I would need the 6K to repay these other people. So right now I'm "all in" with pirate."

So yeah, I've got all my chips on P right now. It seems odd I know, but I think it's actually the most likely outcome based on the evidence as I see it. If I'm wrong I will suffer for it, but I'm taking a stand. As Sherlock Holmes said: eliminate the impossible, and then whatever is left, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

Btw if you happen to know pirate, can you confirm that he has my new withdrawal address for this final account transaction?

ta,
BA

No, I mean I've thought about this long and hard, and my conclusion is that Pirate will pay this weekend. Evidence includes the fact that his returns are possible, as very trusted bitcoiners know how this could be done. The "impossible" potentials in this case IMO are: (1) Matt actually has this kind of coin and is this crazy or (2) Matt, a key figurehead in bitcoin, would ruin his reputation. I don't think either is likely, so the only final potential is that pirate will pay. Not flawless logic I know, but that's my reasoning and hence why I decided to neutralize my bet. If I'm wrong, I will accept responsibility and eat my losses, and blame nobody but myself.

I have to agree with you. Matt might not always act it, but he is an intelligent individual. As far as I understand, it is very likely Pirate pays out this weekend, or soon.

If you love me, you'd give me a Satoshi!
BTC - 1MSzGKh5znbrcEF2qTrtrWBm4ydH5eT49f
LTC - LYeJrmYQQvt6gRQxrDz66XTwtkdodx9udz
nimda

Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 03:10:17 AM

~DonShrents

ta,
BA

No, I mean I've thought about this long and hard, and my conclusion is that Pirate will pay this weekend. Evidence includes the fact that his returns are possible, as very trusted bitcoiners know how this could be done. The "impossible" potentials in this case IMO are: (1) Matt actually has this kind of coin and is this crazy or (2) Matt, a key figurehead in bitcoin, would ruin his reputation. I don't think either is likely, so the only final potential is that pirate will pay. Not flawless logic I know, but that's my reasoning and hence why I decided to neutralize my bet. If I'm wrong, I will accept responsibility and eat my losses, and blame nobody but myself.
Eat up all the PPTs to 0.5 BTC, and leave a bidwall at 0.4
nazgulnarsil

Activity: 672
Merit: 258

https://cryptassist.io

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 03:19:22 AM

the only possibility as I see it for matt to win is that pirate actually owes a much smaller amount than everyone assumes.  Does anyone actually have concrete data on how much is owed?

THE ONE STOP SOLUTION FOR THE CRYPTO WORLD
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Facebook   /  Twitter   /  Reddit   /  Medium   /  Youtube   /
      ▄▄█████████▄▄
   ▄█████████████████▄
  █████▀▀  ███  ▀▀█████
 ████     █████     ████
████     ███████
███▀    ████ ████
███▄   ████   ████
████  ████▄▄▄▄▄████  ████
 ███████████████████████
  █████▄▄       ▄▄█████
   ▀█████████████████▀
      ▀▀█████████▀▀

▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀                       ▀█▄
▄▄▄▄ ▄█                           █▄ ▄▄▄▄
█   ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███   █
▀▀█▀                                 ▀█▀▀
▄▀                                     ▀▄
▄▄▀▄▄▄▄                                 ▄▄▄▄▀▄▄
█       ▀▀▄                           ▄▀▀       █
█          █                         █          █
█▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀█
▒▀▄       ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██       ▄▀▒
▒█▀▀▀▀▄▄  █              ▀              █  ▄▄▀▀▀▀█▒
▒█      █ ▀▄                           ▄▀ █      █▒
▒▀▄▀▄▄▄▄▀  █▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀█  ▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▒
▒▒▒▀▄▄▄▄▄ █                             █ ▄▄▄▄▄▀▒▒▒
 ▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 03:27:12 AM

Those saying "Pirate must be paying this weekend" did you forget...

a) Matt's bet was that Pirate would pay per the terms on his thread (which included interest up to the hour of repayment)

b) Over a week ago pirate stated he will NOT honor the terms of his contract and suspended interest retroactively back to the Friday of closure.

If hypothetically 3 weeks ago Pirate owed 500K BTC (the # he claimed) and tomorrow he repaid 500K BTC Matt would still lose the bet.   
In the last 3 weeks another 130K (~$1.4 million) extra interest has capitalized.  So Pirate would need to repay ~630K BTC not 500K BTC.

Even if Pirate intended to repay and had the ability to repay, why would anyone think he is going to give up $1.4 million extra dollars just to ensure Matt doesn't lose his bet?

evolve

Activity: 700

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 03:32:06 AM

Those saying "Pirate must be paying this weekend" did you forget...

a) Matt's bet was that Pirate would pay per the terms on his thread (which included interest up to the hour of repayment)

b) Over a week ago pirate stated he will NOT honor the terms of his contract and suspended interest retroactively back to the Friday of closure.

This.

Unless pirate pays all interest up to the minute payment is made, Matt loses the bet. Pirate already stated this would not happen.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2012, 03:32:53 AM

I recall Pirate claiming to have about 500k BTC in discussing playing the market, but I do not recall his saying that amount was owed? Wasn't he supposedly earning half or more as much himself as his depositors were?

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
DonShrents

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 03:33:47 AM

What will happen if Matthew's Server gets hacked and all his bitcoins stolen ?
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 03:35:17 AM

BAM!

BC Systems

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 03:35:53 AM

If his non-existent server with non-existent Bitcoin gets hacked, then you will still not get paid at the end of this bet.
DOH!

Merit: 108

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2012, 03:37:12 AM

What will happen if when Matthew's Server gets hacked and all his bitcoins stolen ?

TROLLOLOLOL I heared he has BTC850000 in a brainwallet.

Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 03:39:04 AM

What will happen if when Matthew's Server gets hacked and all his bitcoins stolen ?

TROLLOLOLOL I heared he has BTC850000 in a brainwallet.

My brain was hacked!

DonShrents

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 03:39:35 AM

Well, since this community if not only famous for insane speculation, but also for convicting people before an offense has actually occurred, it's probably best that we get started on tracking down the eventual scammer/hacker who will be responsible for the future theft of Matthew's bitcoins.

~DonShrents
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 03:40:13 AM

Well, since this community if not only famous for insane speculation, but also for convicting people before an offense has actually occurred, it's probably best that we get started on tracking down the eventual scammer/hacker who will be responsible for the theft of Matthew's bitcoins.

~DonShrents

Hint: Atlas took them

DOH!

Merit: 108

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2012, 03:42:28 AM

Well, since this community if not only famous for insane speculation, but also for convicting people before an offense has actually occurred, it's probably best that we get started on tracking down the eventual scammer/hacker who will be responsible for the future theft of Matthew's bitcoins.

~DonShrents

If his non-existent server with non-existent Bitcoin gets hacked, then you will still not get paid at the end of this bet.
Well, since this community if not only famous for insane speculation, but also for convicting people before an offense has actually occurred, it's probably best that we get started on tracking down the eventual scammer/hacker who will be responsible for the theft of Matthew's bitcoins.

~DonShrents

Hint: Atlas took them

Self-Explanatory.

peasant

Activity: 272
Merit: 250

Cryptopreneur

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 03:46:23 AM

Yeah, seriously. There are quite a few bitter people in bitcoin land. Lets see who gets hustled on the 9th.  Cheesy
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 »
  Print  

Jump to: