Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 09:26:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Discussion about 10,000BTC Bet (Official)  (Read 104432 times)
bitlane
Internet detective

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

I heart thebaron

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 12:23:11 AM

Would people in this community REALLY bet what they don't have ?

I would guess that over 50% of the bets CAN NOT be paid by the people that made them.

finkleshnorts

Activity: 336

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 12:23:22 AM

Well, so be it.

I for one would LOVE to see everyone's bet money, waiting to pay Matthew.
I would also LOVE to see who has WHAT at stake, out of everyone commenting here.

Most of the people that took the bet with Matthew couldn't pay on the spot, even if they wanted to.

Would you be happy if I dug up my cold wallet and signed a message with it?

Most of the outspoken people, on the Pirate situation, don't even have an iron in the Pirate Fire......

PATHETIC.

I have a stake in Bitcoin, and in this forum. I think that is more than enough.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 12:23:38 AM

He supported and defended the largest scam in bitcoin's history.

What does he deserve?...

He NEVER supported anything other than telling people to PUT UP or SHUT UP.

Yeah PUT UP on a bet he had no intention of honoring.

Yes he is certainly a victim.  Poor him for making false bets...  OH NOES.  What other choice did he have.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 12:23:54 AM

If Matthew loses his bet, he needs to MAKE PEOPLE PROVE THAT THEY HAVE BITCOINS, IN THE AMOUNT OF THEIR BET....otherwise, the bet for THAT person should be VOID.

So now on top of admitting to lying for Matthew in that one possible scenario you want to play the referee in the outcome of bets? Sorry that wasn't part of the agreement. If he loses he pays. If betters lose they pay him. Simple as that.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

PinkyPie

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 12:25:08 AM

He supported and defended the largest scam in bitcoin's history.

What does he deserve?...

He NEVER supported anything other than telling people to PUT UP or SHUT UP.

Looked like he supported the hell out of it on IRC.

Gobbling that Pirate peg...leg...

I dont see the point in trolling Matthew by saying things that are irrelevant to the situation at hand. 7 more hours...just chill.

Well, this is my trolling account... sorta...

Ok, I'll be good.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 12:25:35 AM

If Matthew loses his bet, he needs to MAKE PEOPLE PROVE THAT THEY HAVE BITCOINS, IN THE AMOUNT OF THEIR BET....otherwise, the bet for THAT person should be VOID.

You don't get to set the terms AFTER the bet is won or lost.  Matt could have required an escrow.  Hell the only thing that would have made sense is to escrow funds from both sides. 
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 12:26:00 AM

Let's recap a bit from the other thread.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=101751.msg1113276#msg1113276
If he owes 100% and only pays back 90% without agreement to investors, -that- is fraud and a failure to pay back. I would obviously lose the bet.
If he owes 100% and only pays back 90% but the investors agreed to it, -that- is the agreement and therefor he has paid it back. I would win the bet.
If he owes 100% and pays back 100%, I would win the bet.
If he owes 100% and does not pay anything anything back, I would lose the bet.

I'm trying my best to be smart about my clarifications, but if you need any more clarification, please ask and give examples so I can better explain. This is all on good faith of course, I don't want to get into legal arguments "But you said if he paid back on 12oclock and that was EST not KST" and other bullshit. This is about whether he is a scammer/ponzi or not, not about whether you can cheat the system for a cheap profit.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=101751.msg1128484#msg1128484
Thank you everyone for showing a huge amount of integrity to bet for your beliefs instead of just arguing, defaming, accusing, aggravating, etc. Many of you truly believe Pirate is a ponzi, many of you are simply utilizing my offer for hedging, and still others are simply happy to take a 50/50 chance bet on anything. Regardless, we are at the 10,000BTC mark and thus I am locking the thread so that no more bets can be received here.

I still believe there is a very high chance that Pirate is just doing a business which we don't understand, and my sinking gut, although questioning his lack of professionalism, lateness, etc, reminds me that no one is perfect and it may all just be a series of bad coincidences. I hope I am right and that I am able to prove to the community once and for all that what we don't understand is not always a scam. If I happen to be wrong, I'm happy to have enjoyed this entertaining time with everyone, and I've actually made quite a lot of new friends (as you can imagine).

The original OP states that the bet ends 3 weeks after August 19, 2012, 04:49:20 PM, so that means it ends on September 9th, 2012, 04:49:20 PM KST (Korean Standard Time, local to me). I think I had mentioned a slightly longer deadline elsewhere on IRC out of confusion (September 12th perhaps?), but this is incorrect as you can clearly see. The bet will also end if Pirate has provided proof of paying back all (not 99.9%) of his obligated debts and interests per agreements, whichever comes first.

Good luck to everyone and thank you for participating in this monumental lesson for all of us.
(emphasis mine)

1 day, 18 hours, 39 minutes, 50 seconds from NOW.

8 hours, 14 minutes, 12 seconds

I love the part where people are arguing about why something happened that hasn't happened. Keep the comedy coming! (It's 15 hours left on the bet btw, not 8. This is how lazy the fudding has gotten lately. I am disappoint.)

On the timeline you gave (quoted above) it's now exactly 7 hours, 23 minutes, 45 seconds.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
bitlane
Internet detective

I heart thebaron

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 12:27:06 AM

So now on top of admitting to lying for Matthew in that one possible scenario you want to play the referee in the outcome of bets? Sorry that wasn't part of the agreement. If he loses he pays. If betters lose they pay him. Simple as that.

Matthew offered to take a 2500 BTC bet from me (my Pirate account, at the time). I DIDN'T BET BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE IT.

Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 12:28:53 AM

Matthew offered to take a 2500 BTC bet from me (my Pirate account, at the time). I DIDN'T BET BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE IT.

That is why I bet only 20 BTC even though I am 99% certain that I would win. 

Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 12:30:01 AM

Let's recap a bit from the other thread.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=101751.msg1113276#msg1113276
If he owes 100% and only pays back 90% without agreement to investors, -that- is fraud and a failure to pay back. I would obviously lose the bet.
If he owes 100% and only pays back 90% but the investors agreed to it, -that- is the agreement and therefor he has paid it back. I would win the bet.
If he owes 100% and pays back 100%, I would win the bet.
If he owes 100% and does not pay anything anything back, I would lose the bet.

I'm trying my best to be smart about my clarifications, but if you need any more clarification, please ask and give examples so I can better explain. This is all on good faith of course, I don't want to get into legal arguments "But you said if he paid back on 12oclock and that was EST not KST" and other bullshit. This is about whether he is a scammer/ponzi or not, not about whether you can cheat the system for a cheap profit.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=101751.msg1128484#msg1128484
Thank you everyone for showing a huge amount of integrity to bet for your beliefs instead of just arguing, defaming, accusing, aggravating, etc. Many of you truly believe Pirate is a ponzi, many of you are simply utilizing my offer for hedging, and still others are simply happy to take a 50/50 chance bet on anything. Regardless, we are at the 10,000BTC mark and thus I am locking the thread so that no more bets can be received here.

I still believe there is a very high chance that Pirate is just doing a business which we don't understand, and my sinking gut, although questioning his lack of professionalism, lateness, etc, reminds me that no one is perfect and it may all just be a series of bad coincidences. I hope I am right and that I am able to prove to the community once and for all that what we don't understand is not always a scam. If I happen to be wrong, I'm happy to have enjoyed this entertaining time with everyone, and I've actually made quite a lot of new friends (as you can imagine).

The original OP states that the bet ends 3 weeks after August 19, 2012, 04:49:20 PM, so that means it ends on September 9th, 2012, 04:49:20 PM KST (Korean Standard Time, local to me). I think I had mentioned a slightly longer deadline elsewhere on IRC out of confusion (September 12th perhaps?), but this is incorrect as you can clearly see. The bet will also end if Pirate has provided proof of paying back all (not 99.9%) of his obligated debts and interests per agreements, whichever comes first.

Good luck to everyone and thank you for participating in this monumental lesson for all of us.
(emphasis mine)

1 day, 18 hours, 39 minutes, 50 seconds from NOW.

8 hours, 14 minutes, 12 seconds

I love the part where people are arguing about why something happened that hasn't happened. Keep the comedy coming! (It's 15 hours left on the bet btw, not 8. This is how lazy the fudding has gotten lately. I am disappoint.)

On the timeline you gave (quoted above) it's now exactly 7 hours, 23 minutes, 45 seconds.

This was corrected on IRC and is old news. Check the thread OP and do the math.

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 12:30:18 AM

Here is your statement:

Link: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=101751.msg1128484#msg1128484

Current KST: http://www.timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/asia/kst.html

Sunday, September 9, 2012 at 9:29:23 AM KST

Looks like about 7 hours and 20 minutes or so by my estimation based on your statement.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 12:31:55 AM

Yes and that is your choice for not betting. But because you choose not to bet does not make you the referee to change the rules on the outcome of the bet. Accept that.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

finkleshnorts

Activity: 336

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 12:32:12 AM

"Hi, these are my bitcoins.

honest bob"

Signature: HO8vCjHutq2hSnwoGV0RITRIbfogYurp3xI3XCHaVuixOiKKOp/PJUQ5syBfDwvap7wc7uA3gl66/mpj67w0tPM=

Signed from address 15GRonWihgBEbnTCXDkZKSCeUSfEWnMgdF

Ta da! I'm serious about this bet.

EDIT: The message doesn't include the quotations, it's what's inside of them. Also, this address is  nearly 6 btc short of my total bet. As this is (or was) my cold wallet, I have other addresses that I keep online.
peasant

Activity: 272

Cryptopreneur

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 12:34:15 AM

Are you guys really gonna split hairs over a few hours? The payments are either gonna happen or not. Half a day or so isn't gonna change the outcome. This pettiness is just gonna leave the winner unpaid.
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 12:35:11 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=101751.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=102918.0

Matthew nowhere on the OP did you say that exact time as you just claimed a few posts above this one.

By my standards there is non IRC log posted on this forum saying anything to the contrary of the bet deadline I just posted.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 12:40:45 AM

Are you guys really gonna split hairs over a few hours? The payments are either gonna happen or not. Half a day or so isn't gonna change the outcome. This pettiness is just gonna leave the winner unpaid.

Matt was never going to pay anyone and he was never going to win.  Changing the deadline is just smoke and mirrors.

Trolloollloolloool.  Keep the drama going as long as possible.  In 8 hours or 17 hours or 47 hours he will have some other excuse as to why the bet isn't "yet" decided.

Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 12:42:02 AM

Matthew nowhere on the OP did you say that exact time as you just claimed a few posts above this one.

By my standards there is non IRC log posted on this forum saying anything to the contrary of the bet deadline I just posted.

In what dimension does 3 weeks from August 20, 2012, 12:49:20 AM KST equal September 9th, 2012 at 5PM?

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 12:48:02 AM

In what dimension does 3 weeks from August 20, 2012, 12:49:20 AM KST equal September 9th, 2012 at 5PM?

You know what the obvious confusion of the time doesn't matter at this point given 15 hours is only 8 more than 7.

Would have been nice to have a count down clock...an official one...oh well...

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 12:52:11 AM

You know what the obvious confusion of the time doesn't matter at this point given 15 hours is only 8 more than 7.

Would have been nice to have a count down clock...an official one...oh well...
Not surprised to see that this jackass can't even keep his own lies straight. The answer would be "the dimension YOU were posting from when YOU said that."
But I only see what you guys quote; maybe he's corrected his schizophrenic raving by now.
bitlane
Internet detective

I heart thebaron

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 12:56:29 AM

Ah. A new strategy. I am almost certain that the constant barrage of insults and such will force him to stick around here and pay everyone.

I love the tactics. Keep them up Wink

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 »
  Print  

Jump to: