Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:50:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help connecting Antminer S5 to bitcoin-qt  (Read 1820 times)
ryager (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 05:06:55 AM

Hi and thanks for reading...

So I have downloaded the latest version of Bitcoin Core v0.10.0 (64bit) running on windows , Installed and ran, I have downloaded all the data and I am configured as a full node (Confirmed).

Now I would like to connect my Antminer S5 to it for solo mining, (I understand that there is no profit in this, however I would like to do it at least one time, to say I know how)

I have started using

bitcoin-qt.exe -server

I am able to connect using the Bitcoin-cli and execute commands no problem

I attempt to connect the miner to XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:3333 , (DEAD)

Huh Can someone help me with this, I have searched and searched and Pounded my head against the wall for days. Huh

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Zich
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2015, 09:03:35 AM

Hi and thanks for reading...

So I have downloaded the latest version of Bitcoin Core v0.10.0 (64bit) running on windows , Installed and ran, I have downloaded all the data and I am configured as a full node (Confirmed).

Now I would like to connect my Antminer S5 to it for solo mining, (I understand that there is no profit in this, however I would like to do it at least one time, to say I know how)

I have started using

bitcoin-qt.exe -server

I am able to connect using the Bitcoin-cli and execute commands no problem

I attempt to connect the miner to XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:3333 , (DEAD)

Huh Can someone help me with this, I have searched and searched and Pounded my head against the wall for days. Huh

This is long time ago i try solo mining, i already forget. I can say that your setting is wrong. It's not using 3333 port, it's using 8332(127.0.0.1:8332). You need to set the username & password on bitcoin.conf file too.

Best way is use solo pool. You don't need to update the chain which using many data & disk space.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 10:10:55 AM

I suggest looking into a solo pool already set up like CK has here - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=763510.0

Again this is if you are wanting to solo mine.   With 1 S5 needless to say chances of solving a block are pretty small if you solo mine.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 10:40:12 AM

I suggest looking into a solo pool already set up like CK has here - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=763510.0

Again this is if you are wanting to solo mine.   With 1 S5 needless to say chances of solving a block are pretty small if you solo mine.

if we assume that the diff will not change(which is highly improbable) he need 2500 days give or take to find a block, on average

not worth it in any case

p.s. -server argument is not needed you can put that in the config(server=1)
ryager (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 12:01:43 PM

Best way is use solo pool. You don't need to update the chain which using many data & disk space.

Thank you for reply and not trying to be rude just seeking clarity, but isn't solo pool like saying go mine in someone's pool, I mean its not really solo mining right?

ryager (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 12:08:14 PM

if we assume that the diff will not change(which is highly improbable) he need 2500 days give or take to find a block, on average

not worth it in any case

p.s. -server argument is not needed you can put that in the config(server=1)

I fully understand that there is no profit in doing this, but for me its kinda like a doctor performing surgery on a cadaver , there is no hope of the cadaver every healing but it is a good opportunity to learn.

BTW thank you for the -server not needed I do have it in the .conf file as well, so I will stop using that.

Shocked
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2015, 02:53:11 PM

Also in your .conf file put the IP address of your S5.  For example let's assume it's 10.0.1.25:
Code:
rpcallowip 10.0.1.25

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
ryager (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 08:23:10 PM

Also in your .conf file put the IP address of your S5.  For example let's assume it's 10.0.1.25:
Code:
rpcallowip 10.0.1.25

Perhaps I am wrong for assuming this, but my antminer is behind a router, so I am using the public IP address of the router for this. (The Bitcoin Core is on a server with a public ip address on the other side of town) I checked my file and I almost thought you hit the nail on the head as there was an extra character in the setting however that did not work  Undecided
aurel57
Legendary

Activity: 1176

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 10:40:11 AM

Thank you for reply and not trying to be rude just seeking clarity, but isn't solo pool like saying go mine in someone's pool, I mean its not really solo mining right?

I would call it solo mining... it just for the .5% fee CK is doing your set up for you.
Zich
Legendary

Activity: 1190

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2015, 01:38:51 AM

It's still solo mine  Grin
I recommend solo.ckpool.org
There is a fee, yes. But only 0.5%.

But since you already updated your chain, here some reading for you: https://www.bcoinnews.com/tutorials/solo-bitcoin-mine-cgminer/
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2015, 09:32:22 PM

Also in your .conf file put the IP address of your S5.  For example let's assume it's 10.0.1.25:
Code:
rpcallowip 10.0.1.25

Perhaps I am wrong for assuming this, but my antminer is behind a router, so I am using the public IP address of the router for this. (The Bitcoin Core is on a server with a public ip address on the other side of town) I checked my file and I almost thought you hit the nail on the head as there was an extra character in the setting however that did not work  Undecided

No, that should be correct.  In your S5 config you should have the pool URL as IP_OF_MACHINE_WITH_BTCD:8332 the user as your rpcuser in bitcoin.conf and password as rpcpassword set in bitcoin.conf.  Your bitcoin.conf file should look something like this:
Code:
server=1
listen=1
rpcuser=jonnybravo0311
rpcpassword=MyPassword
rpcallowip=public_IP_of_your_router

Ensure you have proper port forwarding rules on your router (to allow the traffic over 8332 to go to your S5 from where bitcoind is running) and that you have port 8332 open and port forwarding rules to the machine on which bitcoind is running.

Please note, that you really shouldn't be doing this (accepting RPC connections from an external network) because your RPC password is transmitted in clear text.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
Gws24

Activity: 537
Merit: 524

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 11:32:38 PM

Wasn't there a problem with bitcoind and high hashrate solo mining? If I remember correctly that used to be the case so anything over say 50 GH/s you needed to setup some kind of proxy because bitcoind couldn't generate work fast enough (I believe this was the case with the first avalons). Maybe that's been fixed since then in later bitcoind versions but it might also be an issue.

Much simpler to just use a solo pool as already said but I can fully understand the tinkering part!
Mapuo

Activity: 910
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 30, 2015, 04:36:34 AM

Wasn't there a problem with bitcoind and high hashrate solo mining? If I remember correctly that used to be the case so anything over say 50 GH/s you needed to setup some kind of proxy because bitcoind couldn't generate work fast enough (I believe this was the case with the first avalons).

Yes, getwork protocol is too slow for speed over 30-40 gh. The message was "Pool 0 not providing work fast enough" or something like this.
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 1632

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2015, 06:29:07 AM

cgminer was revamped completely to not use getwork when talking to bitcoind a long time ago and use getblocktemplate support to be able to generate work itself to mine solo to bitcoind/qt. Local work generation is the only way to provide enough work for asic generation miners and most pools normally use stratum which is a much lower overhead template based local work generation protocol. Trying to mine to bitcoin-qt on port 3333 will fail because there is no support for stratum on bitcoin-qt. The best you can do is to use port 8332 (specify it as http:// ) and cgminer will automatically generate work locally on the device running cgminer using getblocktemplate. That said, the controller in an S5 is so low spec a CPU that it will be pushed to its limits to try to generate work in this manner and you're better off using a pool to create streamlined stratum templates of work for you. To that end, I run solo.ckpool.org which does all the work for you and avoids the significant local resources you'd need to dedicate to trying to make your bitcoin connection connected and fast enough to minimise the risk of getting an orphan block in the extremely unlikely event you found a block, only for it to be invalid. Bottom line is you're better off using a dedicated server to do the work for you if you want to solo mine.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: