Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 11:48:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Shorts on Bitfinex at a all time high!  (Read 9833 times)
BayAreaCoins
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 1247

Owner at AltQuick.com & FreeBitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2015, 10:26:07 PM

If this one person was shorting 13,000 bitcoin in OkCoin - it is likely that the total amount is at least 50,000
http://www.reddit.com/r/BitcoinMarkets/comments/33eepx/okcoin_futures_largest_contract_holder_margin/

Isn't it effectively suicide to play with such big sums in a market that's barely liquid enough to support those huge shorts? I mean, his stop seemed a bit poorly placed, if this rather small move has cost him that much! Can't imagine losing that much money!

Ya when you get a position that large with leverage some times even trying to help yourself would kill yourself... best to just let it go tits up I've found.

https://AltQuick.com/exchange/ - Trade altcoins & Bitcoin Testnet coins with real Bitcoin. Fast, private, and easy!
https://FreeBitcoins.com/faucet/ - Load your AltQuick exchange account with free Bitcoins & Testnet every 10 minutes.
ensurance982

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Trust me!

View Profile
April 25, 2015, 10:39:30 PM

If this one person was shorting 13,000 bitcoin in OkCoin - it is likely that the total amount is at least 50,000
http://www.reddit.com/r/BitcoinMarkets/comments/33eepx/okcoin_futures_largest_contract_holder_margin/

Isn't it effectively suicide to play with such big sums in a market that's barely liquid enough to support those huge shorts? I mean, his stop seemed a bit poorly placed, if this rather small move has cost him that much! Can't imagine losing that much money!
Dude is either a retarded greedy bastard that is flat out stupid, making moves w/ inside knowledge or using play money.

I guess so, but don't think that he's necessarily acting on inside knowledge - it's incredibly dangerous to act on inside knowledge using a leveraged position - you might hit your stops before it goes in the direction you expect. I guess it's kinda cynical to call this amount play money, but I guess that's exactly what is is for him/her Tongue

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 25, 2015, 10:43:00 PM

I am not verse with various financial instruments. Can u plz explain in short what are these Shorts, Futures are ?

It means people have borrowed and sold on the market a total of 28531.03 bitcoins hoping to buy them back at a cheaper rate and take profits. It also means these bitcoins will have to be bought back on the market at some point.

More people panicking once the rally gets moving.  Smiley
Let the Bears try to party, the fundamentals are working out strongly in favor of the Bulls.

tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3962
Merit: 1419

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
April 25, 2015, 11:57:03 PM

Once this goes up and stops get hit on the way up, this is gonna be WHOOOSH!  To the moon!

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
fonzie

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 12:40:32 AM

I am not verse with various financial instruments. Can u plz explain in short what are these Shorts, Futures are ?

It means people have borrowed and sold on the market a total of 28531.03 bitcoins hoping to buy them back at a cheaper rate and take profits. It also means these bitcoins will have to be bought back on the market at some point.

More people panicking once the rally gets moving.  Smiley
Let the Bears try to party, the fundamentals are working out strongly in favor of the Bulls.

We have been partying like bosses for more than 16 months now, and we won´t stop before winter starts.
I won´t even mention these few weak attempts from the (clinical dead) bulls to get something going but it would be too embarassing for the traders, the holders, the Bitcoin network, yet for the whole human mankind if all the details of this overhypesed pyramid scheme would get public.
So you should probably just look uninvolved to the ground while everyone else is laughing maniacal BTC go to single/double digits. During these turbulences you might get a chance to sneak out of your town into another country where nobody has heard about your involvement with Bitcoin.
At least the kids won´t spit @ you over there.

"To know death, Otto, you have to fuck life in the gallbladder"
www.hsbc.com  - The world´s local bank
"These FUDsters are insane egomaniacs that just want cheap BTC" - oblivi
RoadTrain
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 01:50:45 AM

32,538.09 BTC Cheesy
Shorting in da house
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3962
Merit: 1419

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 02:42:02 AM

32,538.09 BTC Cheesy
Shorting in da house

Just 32,538.09?

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 06:20:33 AM

Tongue that guy lost around 300k from the falling bitcoin price Tongue shorts are going crazy as usual lol Tongue

How do you know that this transaction is from the guy who got his short margin called? I believe it is just some random big transaction we don't really know the source of. Sure, it could be some early adopter cashing out, but it could just be an exchange shifting around some money.

or: someone with a huge wallet moved 101 BTC.

Interesting. I only now see that the assumed amount if BTC actually transacted is at 101 BTC. I've seen this metric being off a few times with transactions of my own. Is the algorithm behind this figure known? It's always great to read all the wild theories people develop when such a big transaction occurs from time to time. Cheesy

I bet part of the metric is the precision of the output amounts. High precision amounts have higher likelyhood of being the change output. 101 has much higher precision than 69,471.082201.

Ah yes, that makes actually a lot of sense! I unfortunately can't quite remember the transaction where blockchain.info mis-guessed the amount if was transferring. Still interesting to see what this transaction may have accomplished for the owner of the address... maybe cashing out 101 BTC? Cheesy

Yes, he probably moved 101 BTC to an exchange. PREPARE FOR DUMP!!! ;-)

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 06:22:17 AM

yet another ATH in BTC swaps.

I'm still flabbergasted by the amount of USD swaps, though. It's still roughly 4-5 times higher than the BTC ones.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
inca
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 11:08:47 AM

I'm still flabbergasted by the amount of USD swaps, though. It's still roughly 4-5 times higher than the BTC ones.

I wouldn't be. Long swaps well below the ATH from 2014, whilst shorts are breaking new highs chasing diminishing gains.

This is all just noise until the whales going long let the elastic band go and retail shorters learn why shorting a hypervolatile commodity is a seriously stupid idea.
chmod755
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1020

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2015, 12:41:23 PM

I'm not using Bitfinex myself but just looked at their charts. Can you go short on LTCBTC or LTCUSD or both?

NotHatinJustTrollin

Activity: 462
Merit: 107

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2015, 12:42:53 PM

I'm not using Bitfinex myself but just looked at their charts. Can you go short on LTCBTC or LTCUSD or both?
Yes. Both.

RoadTrain
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 02:46:14 PM

I wouldn't be. Long swaps well below the ATH from 2014, whilst shorts are breaking new highs chasing diminishing gains.

This is all just noise until the whales going long let the elastic band go and retail shorters learn why shorting a hypervolatile commodity is a seriously stupid idea.
But long swaps are holding stable while we're grinding lower. While during previous dumps they tended to decrease significantly towards the end of the dump.

I'm not sure how it's important, but the lower we go, the drier are bids (in dollars). So it's making me cautios.
inca
Legendary

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 03:19:01 PM

But long swaps are holding stable while we're grinding lower. While during previous dumps they tended to decrease significantly towards the end of the dump.

I'm not sure how it's important, but the lower we go, the drier are bids (in dollars). So it's making me cautios.

Yep - bitcoin could crash and smash the previous low as it craters.

But if bitcoin doesn't crash and instead holds its ground then those 32000 btc need to be bought back and will probably fuel the fire that ignites us breaking the downtrend over the next few weeks/months technically. I can see a situation where bitcoin rises 100% in a single day off the back of some newsflow (probably ETF or wall street related) due to a combination of shorts closing or getting margin called as big bids start rolling in pushing the price up relentlessly.

In retrospect it will be obvious that dreaming for single and double digit bitcoins was nonsense. That the market was massively oversold, massively over shorted after a year long bear market and was due a big snap back to reality.
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 03:20:34 PM

Miners haven't been mining at such great loss for a long time, so they hold or they short. Most of them are smart and know the market is collapsing, so they short, causing more pressure for the market to go down, causing them to have to short more, causing more pressure. See this market CAN only crash, there isn't even potential to go up.

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
inca
Legendary

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 03:23:26 PM

Miners haven't been mining at such great loss for a long time, so they hold or they short. Most of them are smart and know the market is collapsing, so they short, causing more pressure for the market to go down, causing them to have to short more, causing more pressure. See this market CAN only crash, there isn't even potential to go up.

Hedging mining supply is one thing. Destroying the market value of the commodity you produce is quite another. You don't hedge your supply by market selling 8000 coins into the orderbooks on an exchange.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

There's a flaw in your logic:

Miners don't have to increase their hedging volume when price drops.

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2015, 07:22:18 PM

Are you guys purposefully ignorant? There is a chart intended to compare the value of swaps on this very site.

Oh of course the amount of Bitcoins required for a certain amount of value in swap lingo went up when prices went down.

If you want to judge the sediment you guys are using the wrong chart.

https://bfxdata.com/sentiment/longshort
Total Active Long Swaps vs Short Swaps vs BTCUSD price (shorts expressed in USD equivalent): displays the total sum of all active swaps on bitfinex. the green area is the total sum of USD swaps over time (i.e swaps used for long positions, margin traders use USD swaps in long positions). The 2 red areas represent the total sum of BTC and LTC Swaps (i.e swaps used for short positions, margin traders use BTC / LTC swaps in short positions). To make the values better comparable I represented the sum of BTC and LTC swaps in USD worth. otherwise you would be comparing apples and oranges Wink

I hate quoting myself but it's on page 2
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 07:50:20 PM

I'm still flabbergasted by the amount of USD swaps.

better, electricmucus?

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2015, 08:16:47 PM

yeah.
To say what this thread really is supposed be about: How overextend is the short/long side in comparison?
In context of the previous ATH that is 81.8% of the ATH for longs and 95.5% for shorts.

The other thing is the ratio between shorts/longs that is more of a indicator of "how dangerous is a short squeeze" if you look right now that's at 21.1%
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: