Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 03:07:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Would you accept a free issue of Bitcoin Magazine?
Yes, of course.
No, I don't like free things.
No, and giving my address is against my anonymous lifestyle even if it's illegal per UK law for Bitcoin Magazine to -ever- share it.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If I win the 10,000BTC, I have an idea for what to do with the money...  (Read 4829 times)
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 02:58:52 PM

Print 5000 two BTC notes or just contract casascius for his physical coins and hand them out with a crew and flyers on wall street or in some other high profile financial area.  Some of them would go unused but you would get a lot of people who would not be involved interested.

Yes, I think this is the best line of thinking.  I would rather see funds invested in promoting Bitcoin to people who don't know about Bitcoin and who might potentially be interested, than giving a free gift to those who already do (by definition, everyone on these forums).

Also, I already subscribe to the magazine, and ordered several copies of #1 to pass out to friends as an evangelism tactic....so getting one extra free copy doesn't excite me too much.
bittenbob

Activity: 560

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 04:40:50 PM

Why do you think would he buy everyone Issue 1 when there are 2 more issues to be had? I think its interesting so many people are only interested in a digital edition because only one has been released in digital format so far. You can have your hands on the other 2 physical issues already. In fact, some people in the UK probably already have them.

Print 5000 two BTC notes or just contract casascius for his physical coins and hand them out with a crew and flyers on wall street or in some other high profile financial area.  Some of them would go unused but you would get a lot of people who would not be involved interested.

Yes, I think this is the best line of thinking.  I would rather see funds invested in promoting Bitcoin to people who don't know about Bitcoin and who might potentially be interested, than giving a free gift to those who already do (by definition, everyone on these forums).

Also, I already subscribe to the magazine, and ordered several copies of #1 to pass out to friends as an evangelism tactic....so getting one extra free copy doesn't excite me too much.

n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 05:00:20 PM

Why do you think would he buy everyone Issue 1 when there are 2 more issues to be had? I think its interesting so many people are only interested in a digital edition because only one has been released in digital format so far. You can have your hands on the other 2 physical issues already. In fact, some people in the UK probably already have them.

Well...I have a 12-issue subscription so any issue below 12 will be (for me at least) an unexciting dulplicate.  But more importantly: issue #1 works better for giving out to strangers because it potentially also has value as a collector's item.  They are less likely to throw it away.  It creates an perception that they are coming on board early.  What sounds better & more exciting:

1. Friend, I'm excited about Bitcoins, you must check them out, here's my gift to you, the first ever issue of Bitcoin Magazine!
2. Friend, I'm excited about Bitcoins, you must check them out, here's my gift to you, the third issue of Bitcoin Magazine!
ErebusBat

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 07:01:05 PM

NO I WOULDNT GIVE YOU MY ADDRESS!!!

If i did, the next thing I know I would have a truckload of giggling Korean girls at my door.

On second though... at least I wouldn't have to pay for electricity anymore.....

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2012, 08:55:50 PM

I'd donate to a Bitcoin Mag PR campaign.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 09:11:14 PM

Promote bitcoin to outsiders. Donate to that Tesla thing and get a really positive article in The Oatmeal, then get coverage on random billboards and the New York Times!
gllen
Donator

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 10:35:05 PM

62,489 members, I'd guess < 2% take you up on the offer. There's just tons of free magazine offers out there, lots of dead accounts, lots of users that won't see the offer, lots of users that don't want to give their address, etc.

So a 50k run of one issue for distribution to bitcointalk.com members seems like a bad idea.

ErebusBat

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 11:00:25 PM

62,489 members, I'd guess < 2% take you up on the offer. There's just tons of free magazine offers out there, lots of dead accounts, lots of users that won't see the offer, lots of users that don't want to give their address, etc.

So a 50k run of one issue for distribution to bitcointalk.com members seems like a bad idea.

Flawed logic is flawed.

For one thing you can not assume that everyone has seen this thread.

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 11:01:23 PM

Flawed logic is flawed.

Biggest flaw in the logic would be that people who are into Bitcoin would even consider "Bitcoin Magazine" on the same par with other random magazines. It's fucking Bitcoin Magazine.

gllen
Donator

Activity: 21

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 11:29:24 PM
Last edit: August 26, 2012, 12:14:29 AM by gllen

Flawed logic is flawed.

Uhh what? Are you saying my guess that "less than 2% of the registered bitcointalk.org members would take him up on the offer" is flawed .. because I'm "assuming everyone saw this thread"? I didn't say anything about the people viewing this thread, and it's irrelevant anyway.'

If you think 83%+ of bitcointalk.org registered users would take up the offer for a free magazine (as awesome and relevant as it may be), that's a bet I'd be all in on.

Biggest flaw in the logic would be that people who are into Bitcoin would even consider "Bitcoin Magazine" on the same par with other random magazines. It's fucking Bitcoin Magazine.

I'm not trying to put down the magazine at all... just using common sense. An 83% response rate is unheard of in marketing.

And it's just that, a marketing expense. Most mags give away trial subs. Even ones that are thousands usd annually.
REF

Activity: 529

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 11:39:45 PM

It depends what issue would you be giving away?
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 11:48:07 PM

It depends what issue would you be giving away?

The newest at that time.

Hunterbunter

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 26, 2012, 12:07:55 AM

I am not making any promises yet, just gauging interests, but it occurred to me the other day that the best thing I could do help the Bitcoin community, my career, and Bitcoin Magazine's exposure all in one go would be to use some of my winnings to print 50,000+ issues of the Bitcoin Magazine and mail them to everyone on the forums (and off, if anyone asked).

If I win the 10,000BTC bet and I pay for 50,000 issues of the Bitcoin Magazine to be printed and shipped, would you accept one?

It's an odd question. Your winnings are also yours to do with as you please, and if you feel guilty for taking it, you can at least boost your reputation (and thus career) by doing something altruistic like providing patronage to other community enriching projects (hint sig hint hehe).

In what way do you expect it to help your career? are you just giving away all of your hard work? (serious question)
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
August 26, 2012, 12:11:07 AM

I am not making any promises yet, just gauging interests, but it occurred to me the other day that the best thing I could do help the Bitcoin community, my career, and Bitcoin Magazine's exposure all in one go would be to use some of my winnings to print 50,000+ issues of the Bitcoin Magazine and mail them to everyone on the forums (and off, if anyone asked).

If I win the 10,000BTC bet and I pay for 50,000 issues of the Bitcoin Magazine to be printed and shipped, would you accept one?

It's an odd question. Your winnings are also yours to do with as you please, and if you feel guilty for taking it, you can at least boost your reputation (and thus career) by doing something altruistic like providing patronage to other community enriching projects (hint sig hint hehe).

In what way do you expect it to help your career? are you just giving away all of your hard work? (serious question)

Nah, I'm just confident that if people get their hands on an issue, they'll subscribe.

bittenbob

View Profile
August 26, 2012, 12:16:30 AM

The magazine has my address and sadly this has never happened to me. What would be so bad about this anyways or am I just missing a troll?

If i did, the next thing I know I would have a truckload of giggling Korean girls at my door.
greyhawk

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 26, 2012, 11:04:25 AM

If you look at the user list you'll see 98% of these 60000 members are spambot accounts that just can't do their job correctly due to the newbie restrictions. There's maybe 1000 real accounts here if even that.
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
August 26, 2012, 06:27:07 PM

If you look at the user list you'll see 98% of these 60000 members are spambot accounts that just can't do their job correctly due to the newbie restrictions. There's maybe 1000 real accounts here if even that.
False.

Administrator: 2
Brand new (SPAM): 41547
Donator: 76
Founder: 1
Full Member: 996
Global Moderator: 5
Hero Member: 363
Jr. Member: 7612
Newbie (SPAM?): 11220
SCAMMER: 101
Sr. Member: 447
Staff: 18
VIP: 28
Whitelisted: 1

If Newbies and Brand new are considered all spammers, then there are still almost 10000 "real members" on the forums.

Interesting fact: Even if founders were also considered spammers, the number of real members does not decrease by a lot.
greyhawk

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 26, 2012, 07:55:28 PM

False.

Administrator: 2
Brand new (SPAM): 41547
Donator: 76
Founder: 1
Full Member: 996
Global Moderator: 5
Hero Member: 363
Jr. Member: 7612
Newbie (SPAM?): 11220
SCAMMER: 101
Sr. Member: 447
Staff: 18
VIP: 28
Whitelisted: 1

If Newbies and Brand new are considered all spammers, then there are still almost 10000 "real members" on the forums.

Interesting fact: Even if founders were also considered spammers, the number of real members does not decrease by a lot.

Interesting. Thanks for the numbers. I retract my statement.
qrs

Activity: 47

View Profile
August 26, 2012, 07:58:34 PM

If I win the 10,000BTC I'll be cosmopolitan and travel all over the world
Yuhfhrh

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 06:35:08 AM

I agree. Instead of giving out bitcoin magazines which would be perceived as advertisements, I think the best use would be to buy a large lot of casascius bitcoins and give them out to random people everywhere.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: