Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:19:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mysterious deletions -- Bitcointalk hacked? [NOT]  (Read 1356 times)
JorgeStolfi (OP)

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 06:18:19 PM
Last edit: April 20, 2015, 02:04:01 AM by JorgeStolfi

Random posts are being deleted without explanation from the "Wall Observer" thread and perhaps other places.  The deletion messages have no explanations and say
You have just been sent a personal message by Bitcoin Forum on Bitcoin Forum.

Wild guess: the user name "Bitcoin_Forum" has admin privileges by default, and someone just created that account.

EDIT: No hacking, just some moderator not aware of the "anything goes" culture of that thread.

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2015, 06:19:30 PM

Random posts are being deleted without explanation from the "Wall Observer" thread and perhaps other places.  The deletion messages have no explanations and say

Wild guess: the user name "Bitcoin_Forum" has admin privileges by default, and someone just created that account.

Thats a mod deleting your post, the name of the mod does not show. The most common reason is spam.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 06:28:15 PM

The wall observer thread is self moderated so it is possible, depending on when the posts were deleted that the OP of the thread had deleted the posts, although the OP of the wall observer thread has not been online for a few days.

I understand that there are quite a good number of spam bots that try to post referral and other links on the forum, and that a good number of newbie accounts are nuked every day for this (and have their posts deleted). I would speculate that this is the most common reason for posts to be deleted when measuring by volume of posts.

I would say that the most common reason for a post to be deleted by a moderator posted by a more established (non-newbie) account would be that the post is off-topic or replied to an off topic post (which would also make it off topic).

I don't think a lot of insubstantial posts end up getting deleted, the accounts just end up getting banned.
JorgeStolfi (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 06:28:57 PM

Thats a mod deleting your post, the name of the mod does not show. The most common reason is spam.

Only that the deletions seem to be random and with no explanation, are affecting all users, and started suddenly a day or two ago...

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
thebitcoinquiz.com

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 06:36:19 PM

Only that the deletions seem to be random and with no explanation, are affecting all users, and started suddenly a day or two ago...
You must have got a PM when your posts hot deleted. Did you?
Can you quote exactly what did they say?
Was it like-
"A reply of yours, quoted below, was deleted by a Bitcoin Forum moderator. Posts are most frequently deleted because they are off-topic, though they can also be deleted for other reasons. In the future, please avoid posting things that need to be deleted."
?

Stay hungry. Stay foolish.
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2015, 07:09:33 PM
Last edit: April 19, 2015, 07:19:38 PM by mprep

A short while ago I've reported (as I can only moderate the altcoin forums and sitewide newbie posts) quite a few low/zero quality, off-topic or trolling posts. I guess either the board moderator, one of the global moderators or one of the administrators handled the reports and deleted said posts.

Here's a few rules they broke from my stickied thread, here in Meta (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=703657.0):

1. No zero or low value, pointless or uninteresting posts or threads. [1][e]

2. No off-topic posts.

3. No trolling.

Examples:

1. Such posts like "SELL SELL SELL", "I agree", "+1", "Support", "Watching", "Interesting", "LOL", "SCAM", "LEGIT", "FAKE", other one word posts, posts consisting mostly of swearing, quote pyramids,useless introduction threads, threads about a topic already recently discussed in several other threads.

Complaining, praising or discussing about moderation in the original topic is also considered off-topic.

EDIT: Also, Bitcoin Forum is a fake user set up by theymos (with the intention) to prevent moderator harassment when they delete posts. In my case, that rarely happens as it's almost always obvious who deleted what in the altcoin sections.

JorgeStolfi (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 09:18:12 PM

Was it like-
"A reply of yours, quoted below, was deleted by a Bitcoin Forum moderator. Posts are most frequently deleted because they are off-topic, though they can also be deleted for other reasons. In the future, please avoid posting things that need to be deleted."?

Yes, they are all like that.  Eight short posts of mine now; two comenting on topics often discussed in the thread, the other six about this sudden deletion epidemic.

That thread now has about 240'000 posts (sic) and has traditionally been a rather unrestricted discussion forum, by choice of the OP.  So it must be another admin doing the cleaning on his own initiative.  The deletions may be justified in his view, but are unusual and have left many posters wondering about what is going on, whether it is a hacker or what. 

Perhaps the moderator responsible for the cleanup should post ONE message to the thread about it, so that people would stop wondering and discussing the topic further.

thebitcoinquiz.com

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 12:59:17 AM

Was it like-
"A reply of yours, quoted below, was deleted by a Bitcoin Forum moderator. Posts are most frequently deleted because they are off-topic, though they can also be deleted for other reasons. In the future, please avoid posting things that need to be deleted."?

Yes, they are all like that.  Eight short posts of mine now; two comenting on topics often discussed in the thread, the other six about this sudden deletion epidemic.

That thread now has about 240'000 posts (sic) and has traditionally been a rather unrestricted discussion forum, by choice of the OP.  So it must be another admin doing the cleaning on his own initiative.  The deletions may be justified in his view, but are unusual and have left many posters wondering about what is going on, whether it is a hacker or what. 

Perhaps the moderator responsible for the cleanup should post ONE message to the thread about it, so that people would stop wondering and discussing the topic further.
doesn't matter how many posts the thread has , its always good not to comment short replies that aren't useful.
Also, noone would think it was done by a hacker cause the message you got clearly tells you that it was deleted by a forum moderator(and why would a hacker delete a few of your posts?) and the message also specifies the reason for it.

Stay hungry. Stay foolish.
JorgeStolfi (OP)

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 02:00:09 AM

doesn't matter how many posts the thread has , its always good not to comment short replies that aren't useful.
Also, noone would think it was done by a hacker cause the message you got clearly tells you that it was deleted by a forum moderator(and why would a hacker delete a few of your posts?) and the message also specifies the reason for it.

There is now a fairly convincing explanation of what happened, OK.

The reason why people got upset is that the original poster and moderator (@AdamstgBit) never deleted anything for being "off topic"  or "not informative". (I pointed out the size of the thread only to underscore its "anything goes" character, not as an excuse in itself.)  Deletions were limited to actual spam and highly offensive messages.  I myself have reported several such to the Forum moderators.  So, when those atypical deletions of "normal" posts started, people did not know what to think.

dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 06:28:34 AM

There is now a fairly convincing explanation of what happened, OK.

The reason why people got upset is that the original poster and moderator (@AdamstgBit) never deleted anything for being "off topic"  or "not informative". (I pointed out the size of the thread only to underscore its "anything goes" character, not as an excuse in itself.)  Deletions were limited to actual spam and highly offensive messages.  I myself have reported several such to the Forum moderators.  So, when those atypical deletions of "normal" posts started, people did not know what to think.

What's interesting is that the that creator stated in the very first post exactly what the content should be and that he would be moderating out the off topic junk.  Obviously he has failed at that, and blitz doesn't moderate it as it's self moderated.  However, you yourself and a whole host of others have taken it to be your little playground of philosophical discussion, when there are other forums for that, and your posts are clearly off topic. So I for one am glad that someone is taking charge of cleaning it up, because a sub I used to enjoy visiting for TA and speculative discussion has turned to shit because of off topic posters (you) and trolls like crumbs/NLC (whom I hope has a f'ing IP ban by now).

Whomever is cleaning that thread up, I'd love to start reporting posts if you don't mind quadrupling your workload.
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 08:12:16 AM

Random posts are being deleted without explanation from the "Wall Observer" thread and perhaps other places.  The deletion messages have no explanations and say

EDIT: No hacking, just some moderator not aware of the "anything goes" culture of that thread.

And the BFL thread was locked because...

"I see Pakleds!"
Fernandez
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 08:36:08 AM

I know that its very strict now, but the Wall Observer thread is always a laugh. It would be nice if the mods let this one go.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2198

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2015, 08:43:10 AM

Random posts are being deleted without explanation from the "Wall Observer" thread and perhaps other places.  The deletion messages have no explanations and say

We don't care what the thread turned into. If a post isn't about the original post or a reply to a post that is about the original post, it should be removed as it's off-topic.

What's interesting is that the that creator stated in the very first post exactly what the content should be and that he would be moderating out the off topic junk.  Obviously he has failed at that, and blitz doesn't moderate it as it's self moderated.  However, you yourself and a whole host of others have taken it to be your little playground of philosophical discussion, when there are other forums for that, and your posts are clearly off topic. So I for one am glad that someone is taking charge of cleaning it up, because a sub I used to enjoy visiting for TA and speculative discussion has turned to shit because of off topic posters (you) and trolls like crumbs/NLC (whom I hope has a f'ing IP ban by now).

Whomever is cleaning that thread up, I'd love to start reporting posts if you don't mind quadrupling your workload.
Please report off-topic posts. We are here to keep this forum clean, if that means doing more work, so be it. If you aren't sure if a post is allowed or not, you can always check mprep's thread (Unofficial list of (official) Bitcointalk.org rules, guidelines, FAQ). As a Patroller I can't do as much, but I'll try to handle reports as quickly as possible.

I know that its very strict now, but the Wall Observer thread is always a laugh. It would be nice if the mods let this one go.
No thread should get special permissions.

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

Advertisements are not endorsed by me.
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 01:55:50 PM

It's my work. Decided to clean up the wall observer for a start.
phoenix1

Activity: 798

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 10:43:02 PM
Last edit: April 20, 2015, 11:07:47 PM by phoenix1

It's my work. Decided to clean up the wall observer for a start.

So are you gonna stop trolling the Wall Observer thread now too when you go there to talk your book ? Or does this just apply to us mere mortals ?

Who do we report you to when you engage in exactly the same kind of behaviour? Or have you turned over a new leaf? Just a cursory glance through your posts shows plenty that would be considered 'deletion-worthy'/worthless according to the guidelines laid out above.

Edit : BAAAMM! There you go, just got a post deleted, presumably by you, from the Wall Ob ...

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves"  - Confucius (China 551BC-479 BC)
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 12:20:31 AM

Personal favorite of mine:

CYL MOTHERFUCKERS

Roll Eyes

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
phoenix1

Activity: 798

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 12:28:36 AM

Personal favorite of mine:

CYL MOTHERFUCKERS

Roll Eyes

Explain yourself BMB - how could that be considered trite, irrelevant, offensive, or off-topic? I'm not seeing it  Undecided

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves"  - Confucius (China 551BC-479 BC)
JorgeStolfi (OP)

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 01:23:01 AM

CYL must be "cut your losses" (or "cut your looses"?) 

how could that be considered trite, irrelevant, offensive, or off-topic? I'm not seeing it  Undecided

It is heretic.

findftp
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1006

Delusional crypto obsessionist

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 01:09:35 PM

My post was deleted as well.
It was not trolling, it was just a bit funny and off topic.

If you really want to have dry synthetic posts about volume, price and other technicals this forum is doomed because not only bots but also real people come to this forum.

findftp
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1006

Delusional crypto obsessionist

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 01:14:14 PM

No thread should get special permissions.

Befehl ist befehl.

When you would really clean up that thread you would end up with 100 pages or less.
As long as there are 1000 and more pages this cleaning up is a joke and feels like censorship.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: