Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 10:38:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: FOIPA Request to the FBI Processing  (Read 5071 times)
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 01:21:05 AM

Sorry this is a bit off topic. but does anyone else here immediately look for a poking stick any time they see a bear?

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 01:27:41 AM

Sorry this is a bit off topic. but does anyone else here immediately look for a poking stick any time they see a bear?

I usually go the other way. Smiley
danieldaniel (OP)

Activity: 854

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 01:44:02 PM

Freedom of Information and Privacy Act (FOIPA) sounds great. However, is it really as great as it sounds ? How many persons are responsible for finding the information that somebody requests ? And how can we trust that all information is handed over ? It seems like it's very easy for an official not to hand over some specific information because of [randomexcuse/law], and the person who initiated the FOIPA would be non the wiser. I guess there are laws governing this, but they're not worth more than the people actually processing the requests, and who's overseeing them, and do the overseers just accept any report they receive, or do they do any investigation on their own?

I feel it's a bit like the white house petitions. We care blablabla.. But in reality the most powerful party twist anything to their advantage anyway.

It's not like we're going to get the FBI papers about how they're working in regards to ongoing cases, or future cases.

Apparently there's a leaked memo from the FBI regarding bitcoin:
http://cryptome.org/2012/05/fbi-bitcoin.pdf

And as we can see from all the wikileaks cables, the Us Govt. are big liars, and they do fear the truth, how can we at all trust such a government - with anything at all ? How can we trust that they process our requests in a fair way ? Sorry, I don't trust them at all. And when you receive a response, and they say: This is what we've got, and they given you some token information, you have no way of knowing that this information is all they've got.

There *are* laws governing it, and the people that oversee it are FBI employees. 

And, also, that "FBI" memo was most likely fake.  That's been discussed.

And, I mean, if you don't trust the US government enough to not 100% lie to you about a formal request, then you shouldn't live in the US.

Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 03:12:53 PM

Freedom of Information and Privacy Act (FOIPA) sounds great. However, is it really as great as it sounds ? How many persons are responsible for finding the information that somebody requests ? And how can we trust that all information is handed over ? It seems like it's very easy for an official not to hand over some specific information because of [randomexcuse/law], and the person who initiated the FOIPA would be non the wiser. I guess there are laws governing this, but they're not worth more than the people actually processing the requests, and who's overseeing them, and do the overseers just accept any report they receive, or do they do any investigation on their own?

I feel it's a bit like the white house petitions. We care blablabla.. But in reality the most powerful party twist anything to their advantage anyway.

It's not like we're going to get the FBI papers about how they're working in regards to ongoing cases, or future cases.

And as we can see from all the wikileaks cables, the Us Govt. are big liars, and they do fear the truth, how can we at all trust such a government - with anything at all ? How can we trust that they process our requests in a fair way ? Sorry, I don't trust them at all. And when you receive a response, and they say: This is what we've got, and they given you some token information, you have no way of knowing that this information is all they've got.

if you don't trust the US government enough to not 100% lie to you about a formal request, then you shouldn't live in the US.

I wonder if you would mind qualifying this statement?

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
danieldaniel (OP)

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 03:14:08 PM

if you don't trust the US government enough to not 100% lie to you about a formal request, then you shouldn't live in the US.

I wonder if you would mind qualifying this statement?
My point was that if you can't trust the US, then I don't see why he lives there.

Herodes

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 03:17:34 PM

And, I mean, if you don't trust the US government enough to not 100% lie to you about a formal request, then you shouldn't live in the US.

What makes you think I do ?
danieldaniel (OP)

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 03:20:29 PM

What makes you think I do ?
Good point.  Let me revise that to the simple fact that I trust the government to tell the truth.

Herodes

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 03:24:06 PM

Good point.  Let me revise that to the simple fact that I trust the government to tell the truth.

When the US invaded Iraq, they said it was because Sadam had weapons of mass destruction. Numerous officials said so, in UN hearings.

We all know it was a lie. So let's trust them for all small things still ?
danieldaniel (OP)

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 03:30:56 PM

When the US invaded Iraq, they said it was because Sadam had weapons of mass destruction. Numerous officials said so, in UN hearings.

Do you really think Bitcoin is a matter of national security?

Herodes

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 03:32:52 PM

No
danieldaniel (OP)

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 03:33:30 PM

No
QED (that's what this means, right?  Case in point?).

Herodes

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Sure, get your point.

However, on a general note, if the incentive not to act in according to a regulation or law is big enough for an official, there can be corruption, and evading of the truth.

Also on a general note, no system is stronger than the people involved in it. For instance, it can be hospital policy that patient information is under no circumstances to be given over the phone to anybody.

Then you simply call in, and present you with your name, and ask for your patient records. Promptly you have it read to you there and then. It could've been a new assistant, unaware of the rules, or just trying to be helpful, and thus breaking the rules.

Same way, a judge can throw out a case pointing to a certain law, when he in fact knows that a sharp lawyer would've buried him.

So it's all down to the action of single people, and a system is no better than what checks are made and in place. And as an outsider, we can only chose to trust or not to trust a company or a government branch to do what they promise to do.

I'm not saying bitcoins are a matter of national security at this point, but you get my point.
danieldaniel (OP)

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 03:42:43 PM

Sure, get your point.

However, on a general note, if the incentive not to act in according to a regulation or law is big enough for an official, there can be corruption, and evading of the truth.

Also on a general note, no system is stronger than the people involved in it. For instance, it can be hospital policy that patient information is under no circumstances to be given over the phone to anybody.

Then you simply call in, and present you with your name, and ask for your patient records. Promptly you have it read to you there and then. It could've been a new assistant, unaware of the rules, or just trying to be helpful, and thus breaking the rules.

Same way, a judge can throw out a case pointing to a certain law, when he in fact knows that a sharp lawyer would've buried him.

So it's all down to the action of single people, and a system is no better than what checks are made and in place. And as an outsider, we can only chose to trust or not to trust a company or a government branch to do what they promise to do.

I'm not saying bitcoins are a matter of national security at this point, but you get my point.
Yup, I get your point as well.  There is no way for me to really verify that the gov. wasn't lying, but I trust that they won't.

Herodes

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 03:53:00 PM

Yup, I get your point as well.  There is no way for me to really verify that the gov. wasn't lying, but I trust that they won't.

Yes, exactly.
scintill

Activity: 448
Merit: 254

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 10:32:53 PM

OP, got an update?  I checked the linked status page and it says they are still processing.  I understand they are supposed to respond by a deadline, and surely it has passed by now!

1SCiN5kqkAbxxwesKMsH9GvyWnWP5YK2W | donations
danieldaniel (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 01:15:36 AM

OP, got an update?  I checked the linked status page and it says they are still processing.  I understand they are supposed to respond by a deadline, and surely it has passed by now!
They missed it.  I've mailed 2 letters asking them on the status with no response.  I even put a tracking sticker on one of them and it DID get there alright.

TheFootMan

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 04:30:45 AM

They missed it.  I've mailed 2 letters asking them on the status with no response.  I even put a tracking sticker on one of them and it DID get there alright.

There's been a couple of congressional hearings allright - the number of documents mentioning bitcoin within the FBI has probably skyrocketed by now, and the same with all other 3-letter organizations.

Funny thing is though. The law doesn't mean jack shit when it comes to a branch of the government breaking it. If your request is not priortized, it could just as well've been sent to /dev/null. In fact I think that sending a request directly to /dev/null is often more efficient, because then you have with 100% certainty established the fact that you won't ever get an answer.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: