Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 02:01:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: How do you classify yourself religiously?
Atheist - 93 (50.5%)
Agnostic - 23 (12.5%)
Buddhist - 4 (2.2%)
Christian - Protestant - 15 (8.2%)
Christian - Roman Catholic - 9 (4.9%)
Christian - Other - 12 (6.5%)
Confucianist - 0 (0%)
Diest - 3 (1.6%)
Hindu - 0 (0%)
Islamic - 2 (1.1%)
Pagan / Newage - 4 (2.2%)
Taoist - 0 (0%)
Other - 16 (8.7%)
Don't know - 3 (1.6%)
Total Voters: 183

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Religious Orientation  (Read 16121 times)
Seb

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 07:28:26 AM

I was googling for some spelling and came across this video by accident. Well worth a watch. It's hilarious
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95iRvZOtUWA
Thanks for the link. Bill Maher, he is the man.

agreed
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
asdf

Activity: 527
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 10:13:10 AM

This result is surprising. I thought users are mainly from the USA, isn't that country full of fanatic Christians?

sample bias
BombaUcigasa
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 10:21:01 AM

Derp, ask smart people about their religion... geee, what would they answer...  Roll Eyes

To be fair we have lots of business men around, they would answer differently...
Coma

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 01:13:25 AM

why is Pastafarianism not on the list?

+1
Gabriel Beal

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Fezzik, tear his arms off.

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2011, 01:16:13 PM

We made a poly-atheism shirt at SquareWear this week:

Can you name all the gods/things in the outer circle?

ploum

Activity: 428
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2011, 01:29:43 PM

I miss the Invisible Pink Unicorn in that list.

foxcartier

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 06:13:55 PM

Glad atheism is recognized as a religion now.
Anonymous

June 06, 2011, 06:19:05 PM

Haha, hardly. Atheism is the default, unconditioned state of mind. To say atheism is a religion is to say the world's incommunicable organisms from the domestic dog, up to the fleets of flocking birds and to hardly-sentient fish are religious.
foxcartier

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 06:29:06 PM

Haha, hardly. Atheism is the default, unconditioned state of mind. To say atheism is a religion is to say the world's incommunicable organisms from the domestic dog, up to the fleets of flocking birds and to hardly-sentient fish are religious.

Actually it's a belief in the unbelief.
Anonymous

June 06, 2011, 06:30:24 PM

No, it's the lack of belief in man-made whim-driven bunk.
foxcartier

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 06:32:35 PM

Which requires, faith. Because no world view or religion is 100% concrete.
Anonymous

June 06, 2011, 06:33:32 PM

That's why we should accept we know nothing instead of taking on garbage on a whim.
foxcartier

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 06:35:43 PM

That's why we should accept we know nothing instead of taking on garbage on a whim.

Well that isn't nice Sad

My faith wasn't taken on by a "whim" it comes from years of trials and tribulations and searching for something greater in life than just surviving.
Anonymous

June 06, 2011, 06:39:16 PM

Well that isn't nice Sad

My faith wasn't taken on by a "whim" it comes from years of trials and tribulations and searching for something greater in life than just surviving.
I apologize for being blunt. I have been religious for most of my life but I soon realized I was conditioned to believe most of what I had been taught. To me I was only abiding by my parents mere whims.

I respect whatever foundations you use to lead your life. Nobody knows better.
foxcartier

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 06:42:00 PM

Well that isn't nice Sad

I apologize for being blunt. I have been religious for most of my life but I soon realized I was conditioned to believe most of what I had been taught. To me I was only abiding by my parents mere whims.

Ahhh, I'm sorry for that. I too felt that, especially because my parents are the stereotypical scarred of immigrants Bible thumping people. It's important to go out on your own and find out what works for you, but in another sense not blocking off one school of thought completely.
Anonymous

June 06, 2011, 06:44:04 PM

Well that isn't nice Sad

Ahhh, I'm sorry for that. I too felt that, especially because my parents are the stereotypical scarred of immigrants Bible thumping people. It's important to go out on your own and find out what works for you, but in another sense not blocking off one school of thought completely.
I contemplate all schools of thought I come across. I try to see where they aim to derive their happiness and its really good to build perspective but to accept things indiscriminately is to void yourself of reason and reality (however far it can be defined).
foxcartier

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 06:47:15 PM

Well that isn't nice Sad

I contemplate all schools of thought I come across. I try to see where they aim to derive their happiness and its really good to build perspective but to accept things indiscriminately is to void yourself of reason and reality (however far it can be defined).

Exactly, humans are inclined to ask questions and to ignore that basic instinct is wrong. But that's what serves to strengthen your faith in a religion or even in the unbelief of religion because you find the answers to your questions and based on personal bias interpret those answers as to fit your world view.
ploum

Activity: 428
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2011, 07:17:48 PM

No. Faith means being convinced of something without any evidence of it and sticking to it even if evidence of the opposite. Generally, it comes from believing something someone (or some book) told you. There is actually no difference between faith and synonym.

Not believing in god is not a faith. If I told you that there's an invisible pink unicorn currently flying above your head, would you believe it? No because there's no evidence of it. There's no faith involved.

If one thousand person told you that there's an invisible pink unicorn and that your parents told you the same since your childhood, you will start to believe it. Because there's no evidence of it, you will have to come to something else and call it "faith". And because it is so patently absurd, they will even reach a point where having the faith is seen as something good.

Atheist are people like that: they stick to what they can observe. Currently, the world as we know it is easier to explain without any god than with some kind of god. Thus, logical people are atheists. It is not a faith, it is called logic and intelligence.

foxcartier

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 07:20:44 PM

No. Faith means being convinced of something without any evidence of it and sticking to it even if evidence of the opposite. Generally, it comes from believing something someone (or some book) told you. There is actually no difference between faith and synonym.

Not believing in god is not a faith. If I told you that there's an invisible pink unicorn currently flying above your head, would you believe it? No because there's no evidence of it. There's no faith involved.

If one thousand person told you that there's an invisible pink unicorn and that your parents told you the same since your childhood, you will start to believe it. Because there's no evidence of it, you will have to come to something else and call it "faith". And because it is so patently absurd, they will even reach a point where having the faith is seen as something good.

Atheist are people like that: they stick to what they can observe. Currently, the world as we know it is easier to explain without any god than with some kind of god. Thus, logical people are atheists. It is not a faith, it is called logic and intelligence.

Are you suggesting that there is no evidence to support any religions, and everything that can be observed from history, science and other things points to atheism? Idunno bout dat bro.

Edit: What you were describing is known as "blind faith" total and complete belief in something without true understanding.
Anonymous

June 06, 2011, 07:24:28 PM

Are you suggesting that there is no evidence to support any religions, and everything that can be observed from history, science and other things points to atheism? Idunno bout dat bro.
There is absolutely no empirical evidence whatsoever to support a 'god', a giant spaghetti monster or otherwise.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: