Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:10:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: How do you classify yourself religiously?
Atheist - 93 (50.5%)
Agnostic - 23 (12.5%)
Buddhist - 4 (2.2%)
Christian - Protestant - 15 (8.2%)
Christian - Roman Catholic - 9 (4.9%)
Christian - Other - 12 (6.5%)
Confucianist - 0 (0%)
Diest - 3 (1.6%)
Hindu - 0 (0%)
Islamic - 2 (1.1%)
Pagan / Newage - 4 (2.2%)
Taoist - 0 (0%)
Other - 16 (8.7%)
Don't know - 3 (1.6%)
Total Voters: 183

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Religious Orientation  (Read 16121 times)
bleedkira

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 10:14:29 AM

Where you there? Do you know what really happened? You are rather quick to dismiss things which no one has a way of proving or disproving.
So your proof that it did happen that way is that he can't disprove that it didn't happen that way? Some great logic there.

Anyways, I'm new to this thread and I'm an atheist and I pull somewhat from Buddhist teachings as well.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
foxcartier

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 10:34:41 AM

Where you there? Do you know what really happened? You are rather quick to dismiss things which no one has a way of proving or disproving.
So your proof that it did happen that way is that he can't disprove that it didn't happen that way? Some great logic there.

I think so, in the end either everything came from something or everything came from nothing. I can't prove my beliefs and I'm pretty confident that atheists don't have concrete evidence in their theories of how everything came into existence.
nostrum

Activity: 65

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 11:26:23 AM

I think so, in the end either everything came from something or everything came from nothing. I can't prove my beliefs and I'm pretty confident that atheists don't have concrete evidence in their theories of how everything came into existence.

The important thing is that we keep trying to figure things out in the most efficient way possible.
We might never now everything but our knowledge is growing exponentially every day.

If you always think in categories you will miss the bigger picture.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Public GPG: 04351826
BombaUcigasa
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 11:44:56 AM

So you're saying the religious view is that everything came from nothing? Pretty strong belief you got there...
Marlsfarp

Activity: 9

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 04:01:58 PM

I am basically an atheist, but I put "other" just to avoid semantic traps. I don't believe in anything that I call "god," but it is certainly possible to define "god" in such a way that I would believe in "him" (the universe, natural law, etc.) And I've found that oftentimes the definition of "god" used is so logically incoherent that it would be wrong to say I don't believe in it, as that would imply an actual concept to negate. Rather, they are "not even wrong," and literally speaking nonsense.
nostrum

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 05:10:10 PM

I am basically an atheist, but I put "other" just to avoid semantic traps. I don't believe in anything that I call "god," but it is certainly possible to define "god" in such a way that I would believe in "him" (the universe, natural law, etc.) And I've found that oftentimes the definition of "god" used is so logically incoherent that it would be wrong to say I don't believe in it, as that would imply an actual concept to negate. Rather, they are "not even wrong," and literally speaking nonsense.

So you are somewhere in between atheist and pantheist?

foxcartier

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 08:01:21 PM

So you're saying the religious view is that everything came from nothing? Pretty strong belief you got there...

No, everything came from something.
BombaUcigasa
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 08:16:06 PM

Ok. What did the Universe come from?
Anonymous

June 09, 2011, 08:19:10 PM

Nobody knows. It doesn't fucking matter. Enjoy your life and stop praising nonsensical ideas of where you think everything may of started.
BombaUcigasa
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 08:28:29 PM

Nobody knows. It doesn't fucking matter. Enjoy your life and stop praising nonsensical ideas of where you think everything may of started.
I would but some people call me stupid because they red the answer in a single book, and all the answers I read in several books, that can be tested right now, and provide actual design work and functionality description, appear to be incorrect? Am I wrong, am I ignorant? I need to know....

What did the Universe come from, Mr religious man?
foxcartier

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 10:31:36 PM

foxcartier

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 10:35:26 PM

What did the Universe come from, Mr religious man?
*Insert Chuck Norris joke here*
dayfall

Activity: 312
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 11:21:41 PM

Concrete evidence?  Well we do have order from chaos.  That is easy to show. (and the occurrence of which leads to many superstitions.)  Energy to matter.  This is widely believed.  Duality of particles.  That gives us a lot of something from a little something.  And dark energy gives the initial building block.  A godless creation is plausible and satisfies Occam's razor.  Hence, there is no logical reason to postulate an extrauniversal being for the universe existing.

Proof only works for mathematicians.  In my experience, the only other people that talk of proof is children and people that think lack of proof is an argument. 

I wonder where all these gods come from?  Who made them the way they are?  Who made them so mean and absent looking?  Who made them want to make us?

I often wonder why people believe the ultimate god is the one that made us.  Why not a deity, that was itself created, make us.  People seem so certain.  How do they think they can even know such a thing?
BombaUcigasa
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 01:27:20 AM

I wonder where all these gods come from?  Who made them the way they are?  Who made them so mean and absent looking?  Who made them want to make us?

I often wonder why people believe the ultimate god is the one that made us.  Why not a deity, that was itself created, make us.  People seem so certain.  How do they think they can even know such a thing?
It's gods all the way down...
foxcartier

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 01:41:17 AM

Concrete evidence?  Well we do have order from chaos.  That is easy to show. (and the occurrence of which leads to many superstitions.)  Energy to matter.  This is widely believed.  Duality of particles.  That gives us a lot of something from a little something.  And dark energy gives the initial building block.  A godless creation is plausible and satisfies Occam's razor.  Hence, there is no logical reason to postulate an extrauniversal being for the universe existing.

I'm not going to pretend I even understand how scientists begin to justify the beginning of the universe without a creator, I don't have a Phd. What I do know is common sense, the complexity of life that exists today and how it could be generated from dark energy and chaos doesn't make sense to me.

Proof only works for mathematicians.  In my experience, the only other people that talk of proof is children and people that think lack of proof is an argument. 

Alright well what are the laws and theories that can justify your view... is that better?

God wants to be known. He created us with the intention that we would know him.

How do they think they can even know such a thing?

And that is where faith enters the equation.
dayfall

Activity: 312
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 04:36:44 AM

I'm not going to pretend I even understand how scientists begin to justify the beginning of the universe without a creator, I don't have a Phd. What I do know is common sense, the complexity of life that exists today and how it could be generated from dark energy and chaos doesn't make sense to me.

Sounds like you don't want to try to understand. 

Alright well what are the laws and theories that can justify your view... is that better?

Not by much.  Beware of justification bias.  What I call Thinkology.

God wants to be known. He created us with the intention that we would know him.

Nice story.  You base this on what?

And that is where faith enters the equation.

Why do you think faith is in anyway moral?  Faith is saying you know when you don't.  It is all arrogance and lies.

foxcartier

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 04:55:26 AM

Sounds like you don't want to try to understand. 
I'm always opened minded, but when someone posts a link to a scientific formula or theorem that is grounded in complex mathematical algorithms, I'm not going to waste my time to try to begin to understand.

Nice story.  You base this on what?
Any religion out there has some sort of text or explanation as to who their divine being is, I'd say that's a connection. Specifically Christianity the God described there wants a highly personal relationship with each individual.

The basic instinct that has been shown over human's history is it's need to think of something super natural to worship, it's almost like it's been programmed into us I'd say. But I'm sure you'd just say this is man's attempt at trying to explain things that were outside our understanding and in today's modern age we are so advanced that we no longer need a God to explain the universe around us.

Why do you think faith is in anyway moral?  Faith is saying you know when you don't.  It is all arrogance and lies.

Life is full of mystery that needs faith to some degree. If it helps my functionality to behave in a moral sense why would it be bad?
nostrum

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 05:20:59 AM

What is common sense to you?

asdf

Activity: 527
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 09:39:49 AM

So you are somewhere in between atheist and pantheist?

Lol! If that was a joke, it was awesome :-)
asdf

Activity: 527
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 09:42:57 AM

Why do you guys think that the universe was created/had a beginning? Seems like a pretty bold assumption....

why?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: