Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:58:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BitcoinHop beta  (Read 8355 times)
Findeton

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 09:25:08 PM

Smiley

What changes did you introduce?

Bitcoin Weekly, bitcoin analysis and commentary

14DD7MhRXuw3KDuyUuXvAsRcK4KXTT36XA

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
wiscobit

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 10:28:50 PM

Tried to create a listing, can't get past the preview step. It says "This Auction has Ended" or something similar, shows the picture and that is it.
Slasklitta

Activity: 53

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 10:38:26 PM

Tried to create a listing, can't get past the preview step. It says "This Auction has Ended" or something similar, shows the picture and that is it.
Same here.. Worked really hard on my auction Sad
yesterday (OP)

Activity: 33

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 10:49:25 PM

Fixed. Sorry about that!
lacedwithkerosene

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2011, 09:52:41 PM

Really nice site, I hope to be working with this man on a future project.

yesterday (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 10:30:31 PM

Thanks
Threshold

Activity: 88

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2011, 10:48:24 PM

Is there any benefit to making the address to send payments to a "per auction" address instead of one address for all things bitcoinhop?

Earn free bitcoins at:  http://www.freebitcoins.org/4296
Threshold

Activity: 88

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2011, 10:58:33 PM

If there aren't fees, how do you make money with the site?

Earn free bitcoins at:  http://www.freebitcoins.org/4296
toast

Activity: 1582
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 11:03:54 PM

Wow, it's like you stole my idea, made it 5x better, and implemented it before I even got the resources to make a site like this. Great job!

1xBit.com TICKET RUSH
                                       ▄██▄▄
    ▄▄▄▀▀█████▀▀▄▄▄            ▄▄    ▄███████▄
  ▄▀      ▀█▀      ▀▄        ▄█████████████████▄
 ██▌       █       ▐██      ▄████████████████▀▀██
████▄▄   ▄▄█▄▄   ▄▄████   ▄████████████████▀████
██▀   ▀▀███████▀▀   ▀██▄▄██████████████▀▀███▄▄██
█        █████        ██████████████▀██████▀▀ ▄▀
█       █     █       ███████████▀▀███▀▀▀▀▄▀▀
 █▄▄▄▄▄▀       ▀▄▄▄▄█████████████▀▀
  ▀████▄       ▄███████████████▀▀
    ▀▀▀██▄▄▄▄▄███████████████
               ████████▀▀
               ▀█▄▄▀ ▀
██████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
BET ON
WORLD CUP &
COLLECT TICKETS!
██████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
██████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
TAKE PART
██████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
yesterday (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 11:11:09 PM

If there aren't fees, how do you make money with the site?
There will be fees in the future. But there will never be fees for listing, uploading images, adding a reserve, or buy it now. There will only be small fees, like 0.02 bitcoins, for items which are sold and also fees for featured items.

Is there any benefit to making the address to send payments to a "per auction" address instead of one address for all things bitcoinhop?
Im working on this, it should be updated soon.

@toast - thank you!
btc4beer

Activity: 9

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2011, 12:21:16 AM

How does the buyer protection work?

For instance, there's an iPad 2 up for sale right now with a min-bid of 5btc. At the current exchange rate, that's a really cheap iPad 2. If the auction closes and the exchange rate doesn't fluctuate enough for that person to make as much of a profit as they were probably hoping, what's their incentive to follow through?

Is it simply an escrow mechanism so they won't receive my btc until I approve it, or something else?

(I'm very tempted to start bidding on the serious items, but I don't want to get scammed and this sort of thing is prone to that.)
yesterday (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 12:27:19 AM

How does the buyer protection work?

For instance, there's an iPad 2 up for sale right now with a min-bid of 5btc. At the current exchange rate, that's a really cheap iPad 2. If the auction closes and the exchange rate doesn't fluctuate enough for that person to make as much of a profit as they were probably hoping, what's their incentive to follow through?

Is it simply an escrow mechanism so they won't receive my btc until I approve it, or something else?

(I'm very tempted to start bidding on the serious items, but I don't want to get scammed and this sort of thing is prone to that.)
If the buyer claims he never received the item and the seller doesnt have proof of shipment (tracking number, delivery confirmation) then the bitcoins are returned to the buyer.
zer0

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 01:29:09 AM
Last edit: June 08, 2011, 01:41:34 AM by zer0

If the buyer claims he never received the item and the seller doesnt have proof of shipment (tracking number, delivery confirmation) then the bitcoins are returned to the buyer.

You'll have other problems. What if somebody ships something else that wasn't bought? A scam buyer could claim product was defective, get their money back. A scam seller could just show tracking# and claim legit goods sent. This is probably eBay's and Paypal's biggest problem, when I worked for them ages ago that was their most frequent complaint.. seems every cellphone dealer was shipping used/scratched and claiming new

Also problem with escrow is you sell your Ipad when the value is 23BTC per USD, then it drops down to 14BTC by the time you get escrow and you gave it away

Not to shit on your site because BTC auctions sites are FTW.. but if I was an evil competitor I could buy somebody else's stuff under different accounts and then claim all sorts of bullshit against them like received not as described ect. to ruin their rating. Another eBay tactic usually used by rival guitar sellers on each other. Should get a contingency plan in case you receive legal threats for 'defamation' from some crazy seller who got a bad rating as well

2nd_lawl

Activity: 15

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 04:49:46 AM

registered for this site and it looks awesome.
btc4beer

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2011, 05:08:04 PM

Well, I bid and won a tshirt, yippee.

Now I'm just waiting for the status to change from unpaid to paid since I paid this morning and it has like 20 confirmations now. Is the "status" of payments handled manually?
yesterday (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 10:08:30 PM

@zer0 - I understand. I might have to add a terms and conditions checkbox on the signup page.

Well, I bid and won a tshirt, yippee.

Now I'm just waiting for the status to change from unpaid to paid since I paid this morning and it has like 20 confirmations now. Is the "status" of payments handled manually?
You can ignore that. That section is for the seller to confirm he received the payment (which is not even relevant). Im going to replace that very soon with the actual payment status.

But your payment has been received.
tonytt98

Activity: 2

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 11:27:10 PM

hey yesterday,

It would be real nice if you could somehow verify a new user's reviews through their ebay user account. In other words, someone could see what the seller's reviews were on ebay at the time he signed up for BitcoinHop. Their ebay username and reviews are public info but it's that communication through ebay you need to be able to do in order to confirm that it really is them. Not sure how you could legally get around that. Could some how do it to just kick start your site and when ebay frowns upon it, then you could stop doing it and hopefully by then you will be established with your users having a good number of reviews.

Just my 2 cents.

We really need a huge ebay and amazon bitcoin like sites going for the bitcoin. At least to help balance out the illegal drugs selling and stuff. That way the feds can't blame the bitcoin for being used just for drugs.

That and I really like to get out of the US dollar... Smiley
yesterday (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 11:40:53 PM

Thats a great idea! Ill add that to the list of stuff Im working on.
tonytt98

Activity: 2

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 11:50:44 PM

Could just simply have users signing up for your site, be able to list their ebay username and just leave it up to the people wanting to buy their products, go verify them on ebay. Next to their reviews on BitcoinHop you could have a link that goes right to their user account on eBay. Here again, don't know if ebay could do anything against you for doing that though.

Just a second thought.
btc4beer

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2011, 11:52:50 PM

Thanks for the fast response, yesterday.

Guess we'll see if my tshirt ships. Wink
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: