Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 01:53:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A microscopic view of Casacius physical bitcoins  (Read 5514 times)
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2012, 03:30:39 PM

I recently purchases this microscope from amazon, and started looking at everything I can get my hands on at 40-150x.  One such thing was the hologram on the back of a casascius physical Bitcoin.

I believe this is actually only 10x and 40x, but 40x was enough to see what I didn't know was even there:  four rings of "CASASCIUS" just inside where it says "ORIGINAL" on the coin.  Looking at it by eye, I can barely identify the bigger outer ring, and definitely can't identify the smaller three inner rings.  This is impressive:  casascius really put a lot of quality into these holographic films!

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
goodlord666

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

100%

View Profile
August 26, 2012, 04:41:10 PM

Really does look awesome.

I might actually order one after all.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
August 26, 2012, 04:57:36 PM

That looks like a dot-matrix process. I was wondering about that.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 26, 2012, 05:33:37 PM

I recently purchases this microscope from amazon, and started looking at everything I can get my hands on at 40-150x. 

I wonder how long until someone tries an xray microscope (or whatever they are called) to see the private key underneath.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

swissmate

Activity: 364

View Profile
August 26, 2012, 08:52:45 PM

wow i really like the microscopic details
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2012, 09:10:24 PM

If only I could have not had the first one come out "CASACIUS" (misspelled) in the largest fine print (partly visible in one of the photos above - first photo, 11 o'clock position).

We actually did two designs and I picked through design number 1 with a fine tooth comb for detail, then went with design number 2 without having done the same. I noticed it instantly once I took some light to the then-newly finished holograms.  Series 2 fixes that.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2012, 09:12:52 PM

I recently purchases this microscope from amazon, and started looking at everything I can get my hands on at 40-150x. 

I wonder how long until someone tries an xray microscope (or whatever they are called) to see the private key underneath.

Looking forward to it.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2012, 09:16:40 PM

Looking forward to it.

You mean they can't?  Smiley

nice pics @etotheipi

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
naypalm
Legendary

Activity: 1272
Merit: 1012

howdy

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2012, 01:34:09 AM

Cool, now someone needs to buy an electron microscope and do this  Cool

nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 02:50:32 AM

Right, maybe if MNW wins his 10K BTC bet...
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 10:37:00 PM

Cool, now someone needs to buy an electron microscope and do this  Cool
http://benkrasnow.blogspot.com/2011/03/diy-scanning-electron-microscope.html

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 07:44:04 AM

awesome shot, etotheipi, thanks for sharing.

"I always wanted to know how this bitcoin thing works in detail" Wink

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2012, 03:57:18 AM

I'm a radiology resident and back when BitBills came out, I took a low kV radiograph of it to see if I could bring out any detail...I was hoping the ink was made from the oxide of some metal...no luck. The BitBill was glorified laminated paper, which would be much more susceptible to xray hacking than a metal coin. I strongly doubt anyone will find success with a Casascius coin.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
goodlord666

Activity: 434

100%

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 04:05:51 AM

How are you supposed to pronounce Casascius?

I've heard different people use different pronunciations.

Domrada

Activity: 254

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2012, 04:14:13 AM

How are you supposed to pronounce Casascius?

I've heard different people use different pronunciations.

There is an old youtube video of someone called Plato buying gas from Casascius. He pronounces it Cuh Say Shee Us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9jC0TP-Yug

DataTrading
TRADE FORECASTING BY ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
¦
PRE-SALE SPECIAL  30%  BONUS   
Pre sale starts on 11.20.2017 9:00 UTC
mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 04:35:48 AM

In my head, I always pronounced it "Ka say sh us". Three syllables, "sh us" is one syllable.

Anyway, the detail on those are awesome. I might order some. But they are MtGox codes right?

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2012, 05:15:05 AM

In my head, I always pronounced it "Ka say sh us". Three syllables, "sh us" is one syllable.

Anyway, the detail on those are awesome. I might order some. But they are MtGox codes right?

This is the one I use and consider correct, but I consider pretty much all reasonable variations correct as well, including any of the following:

* Ka Say Shus
* Ka Sassy Us

Common, but less correct being inconsistent with the spelling
* Cass See Us
* Cass a Cuss

They are not MtGox codes - they are private keys - MiniKeys to be specific.  MtGox can redeem them, but so can many other places (easiest way is to import into a throwaway Blockchain.info wallet and send the coins to your desired destination)

mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 07:44:05 PM

Very nice. I'll be buying some in the near future as a sort of long term investment. I assume these keys will still work in 10-20 years when Bitcoins are potentially worth thousands of dollars?

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 08:47:13 AM

You'd want to redeem the value and put them in cold storage if your plan is long term investment. Or just buy bitcoins from an exchange and send them to offline addresses.

spiccioli
Legendary

Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003

nec sine labore

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 12:05:19 PM

Very nice. I'll be buying some in the near future as a sort of long term investment. I assume these keys will still work in 10-20 years when Bitcoins are potentially worth thousands of dollars?

Hi mufa23,

keys will be ok, but what about the little piece of paper on which they're written? And what about ink?

Will these keys be readable in 5 years? And in 10 or 20 years?

spiccioli
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: