Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:15:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is NXT not the number 2 coin?  (Read 16878 times)
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3948
Merit: 1418

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
January 09, 2016, 02:06:32 PM

I'm sorry to say that from a spectator's POV, I think NXT is losing the battle now that there's wider and bigger potential and possibilites on other platforms like Ethereum.

I could be wrong though.  We'll see.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
habraken

Activity: 251
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 09, 2016, 07:48:41 PM

I'm sorry to say that from a spectator's POV, I think NXT is losing the battle now that there's wider and bigger potential and possibilites on other platforms like Ethereum.
I hear a lot about Ethereum. What does it actually do... now?
kennyP

Activity: 544
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 01:23:42 AM

I could be wrong though.  We'll see.

Ethereum is a good platform for sure, but I don't believe the 'Highlander' is at play here (there can be only one!), so both can co-exist happily.

Ethereum appeals to those who like things like known devs with big budgets, and NXT appeals to those after true decentralisation and anonymity

I like Ethereum, but I prefer NXT, and I like that Jean-Luc and the NXT devs are anon, and new people can come and go, and nobody needs to ask for permission. Ethereum appeals to Microsoft etc for the exact opposite reason I suspect, they love having Vitalek and co. as known entities operating in a more 'conventional' style.

Horses for courses!
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3948
Merit: 1418

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 07:08:30 AM

Two of the projects I'm interested that are being built on Ethereum are slock.it and Augur.  There are a few more.  Check them out.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
stoat

Activity: 686
Merit: 270

FREEDOM RESERVE

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2016, 08:29:33 AM

Loads of stuff.  Check out mist browser

FREEDOMRESERVEFree currency for the British Isles
Visit our website for more info

<-- Click here!
FREEDOMRESERVE By the People and for the People
barabbas
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 09:11:41 AM

I question myself this very thing everyday

NXT is a platform, not a a coin.

NXT is fully decentralised & open like no other crypto project, so it's just a matter of time IMO, but i still don't think the value of Nxt token will ever moon like some hope/expect, but it will increase a lot from here.

NXT is like tcp/ip, and we haven't seen the 'http' equivalent fully develop yet, so no google, youtube or facebook etc so far, but they're coming

Well no. NXT is indeed a "coin". Or, as you choose to call it, a "token". NEXT, on the other hand, IS a platform. And yes, they are two different things and tangentially related. The "token" is practically worthless for the simple reason those holding the millions of it are getting rid of them as methodically and efficiently as they can and have been doing it since inception, therefore the "market" (an euphemism at this point) is saturated for there's practically no demand and whatever demand there is of could EVER be, is/will be avalanched by the selling.

Now, the platform is something else... it is something that has to commercial value whatsoever since, no matter who or for what has decided to use it, has failed miserably and has produced no income of any kind, no business of any kind whatsoever so yes, it is THERE for you to use free of charge, but to no avail for there are no customers, not even "coinaddicts" on the other side of the platform. And never will be.

As a consequence, neither NXT, the token, nor NEXT, the platform, have or will ever have any value whatsoever.

And that's the predicament.
RaginglikeaBoss

Activity: 302

Never before 11 P.M.

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2016, 09:30:37 AM

So you are down to crowdfunding... or platforms like NXT.

Did you know you can do trustless crowd funding in Nxt's Monetary System?

i.e. Say you want to raise 200k NXT with a deadline in 30 days time. People put up the money bit by bit and it is all held by the protocol (a trustless escrow). The dev can't run away with it part way through the process.

When the deadline comes, the protocol checks if the amount raised is 200k or more. If it is, the 200k NXT is released to you for your successfully funded project and tokens representing a stake in your project are sent to the funders (optional, I believe). If less than 200k, then all NXT are returned to those who sent them. All trustlessly and all for a cost of 40 NXT Grin

But no one does, not counting the 1000s of scams currently listed on the hardly ever used asset exchange.

I mean the NXT technology is simply fantastic, but it needs PROPER Advertising.  A new website isn't going to do shit to help promote a niche cryptocurrency in this microcosm of a niche we already exist in.

Lintel

Activity: 638
Merit: 300

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 01:08:31 PM

i.e. Say you want to raise 200k NXT with a deadline in 30 days time. People put up the money bit by bit and it is all held by the protocol (a trustless escrow). The dev can't run away with it part way through the process.

When the deadline comes, the protocol checks if the amount raised is 200k or more. If it is, the 200k NXT is released to you for your successfully funded project and tokens representing a stake in your project are sent to the funders (optional, I believe). If less than 200k, then all NXT are returned to those who sent them. All trustlessly and all for a cost of 40 NXT Grin

But no one does, not counting the 1000s of scams currently listed on the hardly ever used asset exchange.

I mean the NXT technology is simply fantastic, but it needs PROPER Advertising.  A new website isn't going to do shit to help promote a niche cryptocurrency in this microcosm of a niche we already exist in.

It seems there is no shop accepting the NXT. Apart from being exchanged to other coins, does it have practical usage?
yohanip

Activity: 118
Merit: 100

A Programmer

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 03:36:27 PM

NXT has become the benchmark for the features it have and propose, but unfortunately it take too much time to be adapted by the general audience, with a lot of alt-coin and discoveries popping up each seconds, this coin got abandoned by the crowd seeking for the more prettier, bigger, and glorious alt-coin public announcements
MaxTax

Activity: 322

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 03:37:12 PM

I mean the NXT technology is simply fantastic, but it needs PROPER Advertising.  A new website isn't going to do shit to help promote a niche cryptocurrency in this microcosm of a niche we already exist in.

It seems there is no shop accepting the NXT. Apart from being exchanged to other coins, does it have practical usage?

The infrastrucure behind NXT is good, i've used it and sure it uses a lot of resources but it's stable.
The problem though is that too much is focused on coding instead of marketing.
jabo38
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2016, 05:03:56 PM

NXT just had a new release and has some really interesting features.  If everything else could come together for it, it could do well.

habraken

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 05:34:27 PM

NXT just had a new release and has some really interesting features.  If everything else could come together for it, it could do well.

Yes, I found this at https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/nxt-17-complete-toolset-bas-wisselink

The NXT 1.7 branch is about to go live. After four so called "experimental" versions that ran on the NXT Testnet, NXT 1.7.4 has been released for the main net on the 1st of January and its functions will go live after a hard fork on the 21st of January.

The 1.7 branch improves on several issues that users brought to the attention of the developers. Probably the most anticipated is the improvements that have been made to the block time algorithm, which will all but eliminate the dreaded "long blocks" that blockchain systems sometimes experience. NXT 1.7.4 will cut block times to approximately 60 seconds. Other tweaks are UI enhancements and an overhaul of the NXT Data Cloud system (implemented in the 1.5 branch last year), the instant execution of certain transactions once a vote is decided and the spreading of larger fees over blocks. Apart from tweaks, the 1.7 branch will include new feature that will allow you to use NXT in new ways:

• Coin Shuffling, a fully decentralized coin mixing, to improve account privacy.
  • Account Control for phased transactions, the Nxt equivalent of multisignature.
  • Account Properties, assigning arbitrary name/value metadata to user accounts by both account owners and other users of the network.
  • Singleton Assets, for representing single tradeable objects.
  • Data Cloud, a decentralized, censorship-free and tamper-proof publication and retrieval of small files, documents, or arbitrary data.

NXT continues to expand its feature set into directly usable features for developers.

Coin Shuffling is the first truly decentralised feature of its kind. Whereas for bitcoin you would need to trust an external party to do your mixing for you, starting with the 1.7 branch, this is an in-built feature of NXT. The shuffling algorithm is based on a paper by Tim Ruffing at al. and has been audited by Tim Ruffing himself. Coin Shuffling allows NXT to take on the nature of cash if users choose to want to use it in this way, in that they will be able to use their coins without them being traceable. Shuffling also ensures NXT will remain fungible.
Account Control allows users to set up their accounts in such a way that transactions can only be executed after a previously determined form of Vote. This has the advantage of massively increasing account security, and also allows setting up accounts for companies. By using the "Vote by Asset" feature, it is possible to let Asset holders directly be involved in company spendings, for instance.
Account Properties allow both the user and other parties to assign values to NXT accounts. This means it is possible to "tag" accounts in any way you want. Properties can only be changed by the account that assigned them.
Singleton Assets are a specific class of Asset for non divisible virtual unique objects.
Data Cloud allows you to upload and store up to 42k of data on the blockchain. To avoid bloat the data is by default stored for two weeks only , but can optionally be stored longer or indefinitely by some nodes, and can be verified against the blockchain even after expiration.
barabbas
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 06:48:15 AM

NXT just had a new release and has some really interesting features.  If everything else could come together for it, it could do well.

Yes, I found this at https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/nxt-17-complete-toolset-bas-wisselink

The NXT 1.7 branch is about to go live. After four so called "experimental" versions that ran on the NXT Testnet, NXT 1.7.4 has been released for the main net on the 1st of January and its functions will go live after a hard fork on the 21st of January.

The 1.7 branch improves on several issues that users brought to the attention of the developers. Probably the most anticipated is the improvements that have been made to the block time algorithm, which will all but eliminate the dreaded "long blocks" that blockchain systems sometimes experience. NXT 1.7.4 will cut block times to approximately 60 seconds. Other tweaks are UI enhancements and an overhaul of the NXT Data Cloud system (implemented in the 1.5 branch last year), the instant execution of certain transactions once a vote is decided and the spreading of larger fees over blocks. Apart from tweaks, the 1.7 branch will include new feature that will allow you to use NXT in new ways:

• Coin Shuffling, a fully decentralized coin mixing, to improve account privacy.
  • Account Control for phased transactions, the Nxt equivalent of multisignature.
  • Account Properties, assigning arbitrary name/value metadata to user accounts by both account owners and other users of the network.
  • Data Cloud, a decentralized, censorship-free and tamper-proof publication and retrieval of small files, documents, or arbitrary data.

NXT continues to expand its feature set into directly usable features for developers.

Coin Shuffling is the first truly decentralised feature of its kind. Whereas for bitcoin you would need to trust an external party to do your mixing for you, starting with the 1.7 branch, this is an in-built feature of NXT. The shuffling algorithm is based on a paper by Tim Ruffing at al. and has been audited by Tim Ruffing himself. Coin Shuffling allows NXT to take on the nature of cash if users choose to want to use it in this way, in that they will be able to use their coins without them being traceable. Shuffling also ensures NXT will remain fungible.
Account Control allows users to set up their accounts in such a way that transactions can only be executed after a previously determined form of Vote. This has the advantage of massively increasing account security, and also allows setting up accounts for companies. By using the "Vote by Asset" feature, it is possible to let Asset holders directly be involved in company spendings, for instance.
Account Properties allow both the user and other parties to assign values to NXT accounts. This means it is possible to "tag" accounts in any way you want. Properties can only be changed by the account that assigned them.
Singleton Assets are a specific class of Asset for non divisible virtual unique objects.
Data Cloud allows you to upload and store up to 42k of data on the blockchain. To avoid bloat the data is by default stored for two weeks only , but can optionally be stored longer or indefinitely by some nodes, and can be verified against the blockchain even after expiration.

After these implementations, NXT is sure to become the new Bitcoin. Maybe even the new US dollar... Maybe even, the Next big thing... One NXT will buy you a lambo, for sure. Maybe even two...
hotsurfing

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 01:48:12 PM

After these implementations, NXT is sure to become the new Bitcoin. Maybe even the new US dollar... Maybe even, the Next big thing... One NXT will buy you a lambo, for sure. Maybe even two...

I concur
maokoto

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

✪ NEXCHANGE | BTC, LTC, ETH & DOGE ✪

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2016, 02:02:57 PM

The success of coins is based a lot on adoption, and for a coin to be adopted by more people it is good to keep it simple and easy to begin using it. I feel NXT (and also Ethereum) are too complicated to get working. Of course not for techy guys, but go try to explain your regular pc user friend how to put NXT to work (not to mention to explain its features).

Even with Bitcoin, which has lots of online wallets and services to make things easier, it is hard for regular people to use it.

JReag

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 02:21:43 PM

I concur
Honestly that'd be pretty goat and I'd give up all my NXT if it could happen. That'd make the NXT market cap around 300 trillion. It'd be nice to see the economy grow that large through a means other than heavy inflation.

The success of coins is based a lot on adoption, and for a coin to be adopted by more people it is good to keep it simple and easy to begin using it. I feel NXT (and also Ethereum) are too complicated to get working. Of course not for techy guys, but go try to explain your regular pc user friend how to put NXT to work (not to mention to explain its features).

Even with Bitcoin, which has lots of online wallets and services to make things easier, it is hard for regular people to use it.
I think anyone who's sensible has been saying this for awhile. Will 2016 bet the year of Ethereum? No, NXT, no bitshares or monero, no!!! Probably none of them.

These new techs are great but how the FK do they put the power back in the hands of the people. It's like saying you invented the printing press in the 1200s but it can only write Choctaw.
habraken

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 08:03:47 PM

Too early for the general public anyway. Who used email in the early nineties? Unless there's some sudden killer feature (maybe poker?) crypto at the moment should be aimed at IT/finance geeks imo.

And yes, the default NXT client has developed many features and menus and buttons these couple of years. Ranging from basic coin functions (like any crypto) to assets, messaging, marketplace, monetary system coins, etc etc. It does need a new button imo, called ' Simple/Advanced view' Tongue http://nxt.org/demo
EvilDave

Activity: 854
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 11:41:04 PM

Yep, habraken, you ain't wrong. We are working (well, arguing about) a ' Simple/Advanced view' implementation in the client, and there are a couple of fairly simple routes to achieve that......stay tuned, we should have something happeining soon(ish) on that front.

Nulli Dei, nulli Reges, solum NXT
Love your money: www.nxt.org  www.ardorplatform.org
www.nxter.org  www.nxtfoundation.org
1btcdream

Activity: 393
Merit: 297

View Profile
January 12, 2016, 06:30:43 AM

Yep, habraken, you ain't wrong. We are working (well, arguing about) a ' Simple/Advanced view' implementation in the client, and there are a couple of fairly simple routes to achieve that......stay tuned, we should have something happeining soon(ish) on that front.

That would be great, can't wait for the market cap go up again and stay where it rightfully belongs.
habraken

View Profile
January 12, 2016, 07:19:13 AM

That would be great, can't wait for the market cap go up again and stay where it rightfully belongs.

Yeah, but I don't think a lot of people try to install the client, and then uninstall it and leave NXT because at first glance it seems too complex.
CMC = mostly traders and speculators imo. So I don't expect much (or any) impact on marketcap by showing a simpler client by default.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: