Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 12:43:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Be Reasonable. Please! Or About Logical Fallacies.  (Read 9858 times)
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3044

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 07:40:12 AM

what category the "go .... yourself" argument belongs to?
That's a command, not an argument. The arguments (if any) accompanying such a command are usually fallacious (but not always - there are more than a few members of this forum who enjoy hurling abuse and sound logic in equal measure, which is always entertaining to watch).

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 09:33:57 AM

While I don't disagree with your observations, this isn't a formal debate forum and people posting here aren't writing a thesis to be challenged or peer reviewed. I wonder whether there'd be any interest in a formal debate sub-forum.  Internet Infidels used to have one and it reduced a lot of frustration for everyone.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2012, 09:45:35 AM

While I don't disagree with your observations, this isn't a formal debate forum and people posting here aren't writing a thesis to be challenged or peer reviewed. I wonder whether there'd be any interest in a formal debate sub-forum.  Internet Infidels used to have one and it reduced a lot of frustration for everyone.

Isn't that what the Politics forum is for? Wink

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2012, 09:48:31 AM
Last edit: August 27, 2012, 10:54:58 AM by JoelKatz

The pirateat40's opponents have called this BS and reasonably asserted that pirate is running a ponzi scheme based on logical reasoning and common sense.

Please explain to me how this statement is remotely objective in any sense whatsoever. "reasonably"? "common sense"?
It is the only possibility known that explains all the available evidence. If you know of another possible explanation, please tell us what it is.

When you have a set of facts, one explanation that covers them perfectly, that has always been the correct explanation for that set of facts, no other explanation is known, and people who would know another explanation if there is one refuse to provide one, that is sufficient to accept the explanation.

I turn on my light switch and my light comes on. I accept the explanation that electricity from the power company made it come on. That has always been the explanation before. And that case is even weaker, because I can think of other possible explanations. Someone might have disconnected by house from the grid and powered it by generator. Of course, nobody has any reason to do that. Nobody has done that before.

This is logical reasoning and common sense. It is more than sufficient for accepting an explanation under ordinary circumstances. (Those where nobody has a vested interest in convincing others or themselves that the obviously true is not true.)

I'll try not to respond further about this in this thread, since there are already 800 threads about that and this thread is about something else.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2012, 09:53:04 AM

I would hope that a formal debate board wasn't necessary to have a logical conversation with someone.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 10:31:43 AM

I would hope that a formal debate board wasn't necessary to have a logical conversation with someone.

It would be nice to have some means of keeping the logical discussions separate from the threads where people really just want to vent or ramble, though.  As in real life, not all conversations need to have some higher purpose or be intellectual - it would just be nice if those discussions where people do want a higher level of discourse didn't get derailed by people who just want to dribble bullshit.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2012, 10:39:00 AM

It would be nice to have some means of keeping the logical discussions separate from the threads where people really just want to vent or ramble, though.  As in real life, not all conversations need to have some higher purpose or be intellectual - it would just be nice if those discussions where people do want a higher level of discourse didn't get derailed by people who just want to dribble bullshit.

This has nothing to do with a higher level of discourse. Any forum member who makes some kind of earnest claim should expect to defend that claim.

Just my preference, but I'd rather have "Let's dribble bullshit" boards, and try to keep the rest of the forum discussions.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
myrkul

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2012, 10:41:58 AM

Just my preference, but I'd rather have "Let's dribble bullshit" boards, and try to keep the rest of the forum discussions.

This.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
smickles

Activity: 446
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2012, 02:15:24 PM

It's nice to see that there are people who value logic and reason in an 'everyday' context. I feel such values can only benefit the community (or any community for that matter).

To aid this cause, I've noticed that appreciate a certain look and feel of websites, so I submit http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

BinaryMage

Activity: 560

Ad astra.

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 05:16:55 PM

This.

Unfortunately, I don't suspect anyone would ever put their threads in a "Let's Dribble BS" board. Most people consider themselves logical, whether they are or not.

-- BinaryMage -- | OTC | PGP
myrkul

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2012, 05:59:56 PM

This.

Unfortunately, I don't suspect anyone would ever put their threads in a "Let's Dribble BS" board. Most people consider themselves logical, whether they are or not.

And that's where the moderators come in. Wink

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: