Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 06:33:51 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S4+ Discussion and Support Thread  (Read 20078 times)
supertee

Activity: 689
Merit: 260

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2015, 07:34:22 AM

So I've placed them behind a small firewall and opened port 3333, nothing arriving at the pool, but I can ping the pool main ip from the device. Do I need to setup NAT for this?
Would be so much easier with an IP restriction....

Passion.
Digitalmocking

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 07:56:08 AM

So I've placed them behind a small firewall and opened port 3333, nothing arriving at the pool, but I can ping the pool main ip from the device. Do I need to setup NAT for this?
Would be so much easier with an IP restriction....

You don't need inbound NAT, and you don't need to open port 3333 inbound, as long as the box can reach the internet and make a TCP connection is should be fine.
supertee

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2015, 08:06:47 AM

another reset did it... Smiley

Passion.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 08:11:02 AM

another reset did it... Smiley

Glad you got it working!  I was working on post and hit post... and you had it fixed already.   Which is a good thing Smiley.

A simple reset can do amazing things sometimes. 
supertee

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2015, 08:48:53 AM

Yes, but as a former software developer I must say I am not too amused about that firmware... Actually I would say we would have been directly fired, if we delievered such issues... Smiley

Passion.
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2015, 06:03:58 PM

Yes, but as a former software developer I must say I am not too amused about that firmware... Actually I would say we would have been directly fired, if we delievered such issues... Smiley

Why? If I leave my Windows based PC on a publicly visible IP, its going to get attacked like hell yet its not Microsoft's fault. Its no different here, if you put yourself at risk eventually someone nefarious will find you.

kae1078

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

Kupla Kudos Coming Ur Way!

View Profile
June 04, 2015, 08:13:09 PM

Hello,

I have an S4 7 months old and power supply gave in already, just wanna know if it is still covered for warranty and how will be the process of returning or is there someone in charge with regards to warranty.

Thanks & best regards

kae1078
gallery2000

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Live Stars - Adult Streaming Platform

View Profile
June 04, 2015, 08:24:51 PM

Hello,

I have an S4 7 months old and power supply gave in already, just wanna know if it is still covered for warranty and how will be the process of returning or is there someone in charge with regards to warranty.

Thanks & best regards

kae1078

No warranty after 90 days.

kae1078

View Profile
June 04, 2015, 08:33:02 PM

In that case will I be able to purchase from them?
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2015, 08:49:23 PM

In that case will I be able to purchase from them?

You can purchase an alternative one on their site, but you'll have to check that you have a PCI-E version of the S4. If you have the type with spade connectors you'll have to ask Bitmain if they have spares of another PSU.

kae1078

View Profile
June 04, 2015, 08:53:38 PM

I have the spades, that's the problem.  Undecided

I send bitmain tech an email already and they told me that they reply soon regarding the PSU.
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2015, 09:00:22 PM

I have the spades, that's the problem.  Undecided

I send bitmain tech an email already and they told me that they reply soon regarding the PSU.

Okay. Worst comes to the worst you may have to make your own cables with something like a DPS-2000. Get some nice 12AWG cables, a crimper and some space connections and you'd be good to go.

kae1078

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 03:16:42 AM

Okay. Worst comes to the worst you may have to make your own cables with something like a DPS-2000. Get some nice 12AWG cables, a crimper and some space connections and you'd be good to go.

I'm interested to your suggestion but I have no idea on how to do it, if you can help me or show me how to do it.
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2015, 12:03:17 PM

I'm interested to your suggestion but I have no idea on how to do it, if you can help me or show me how to do it.

DPS2000 + breakout board that converts gold finger to cables = https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=637595.0
Get some 12 AWG wiring online + spade connectors. You could even cut them off the current PSU if you were desperate.
+Get some 40-60mm fans to cool the PSU, they don't come with them.

mungwi

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 09:55:00 AM
Last edit: July 03, 2015, 10:14:22 AM by mungwi

i just received 3 units, i had ordered from DHgate.  in the process of testing them, i found out that the problem with them is due to a factory default cgminer setting "api-allow" that is set to accept commands from "W:0/0".  what i did is i ssh'd in and manually configured the setting to "W:127.0.0.1,W:192.168.1.0/24".  i wasn't sure which of the files were responsible, so i changed all that i can find, in /etc and /config. this is also a good time to change queue to 1 instead of the factory 8192.

2 of the s4+'s are exhibiting hotter temperature, 6C hotter than yours.  the one normal acting one is at 70C/71C, which i'm not worried about.  i am in contact with bitmain support about this and hopefully they can help me resolve this problem.  i'm squeamish about opening them up and readjusting heatsink/reapplying thermal paste, hopefully i can get RMA units sent to me instead.  

also, has anyone updated their firmware to s4p_20150518?  after updating the option to halt units at 80C has been changed to 95C!  i think this is a bit dangerous as i'm concerned about other components in the unit being able to operate safely at this kind of heat level. anyone care to chime in on this?

https://i.imgur.com/BGGU8pn.png

btw: it would be great if it was possible to restrict ui access, I only want the miner to be accessible from one (or more) ips... would appreciate if bitmain tech could add this feature in a future firmware upgrade Smiley

Well, it happened! All of my S4+ (6 in total) have been hijacked...

https://i.imgur.com/MKLHdlL.png

I have different passwords for each device, and they are bulletproof... I've read some posts here and it seems that the developers of cgminer have reported that this will happend to bitmaintech but they didn't care... Even KNC Miner Neptune can restrict access to specific IPs... Seems like the only solution is to put the devices behind a firewall, which is a bit annoying, as the solution would be so easy!

Why can I not access the device by ssh and adjust cgminer api? It keeps telling me access denied (on all devices), altough password is correct for sure... Is there some kinda default user/password for ssh?

Thanks for your help
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2015, 11:55:29 AM

after updating the option to halt units at 80C has been changed to 95C!  i think this is a bit dangerous as i'm concerned about other components in the unit being able to operate safely at this kind of heat level. anyone care to chime in on this?

The limit already was 95C (as it should be, these chips are resilient), the text was incorrect before.

mungwi

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 04:09:53 PM

i'm sure the chips themselves are, not too worried about those, but what about other components on the board? wiring?

after updating the option to halt units at 80C has been changed to 95C!  i think this is a bit dangerous as i'm concerned about other components in the unit being able to operate safely at this kind of heat level. anyone care to chime in on this?

The limit already was 95C (as it should be, these chips are resilient), the text was incorrect before.
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2015, 06:15:46 PM

i'm sure the chips themselves are, not too worried about those, but what about other components on the board? wiring?

after updating the option to halt units at 80C has been changed to 95C!  i think this is a bit dangerous as i'm concerned about other components in the unit being able to operate safely at this kind of heat level. anyone care to chime in on this?

Specified appropriately.

mungwi

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 02:53:40 AM

emailed Bitmain tech support and gotten the following response:

Bitmain (Bitmain_D)

Jul 3, 14:22

Hello sir,
first of all your room temperature is a really high.

can you lower it to 25C?

since any unit that you have will die on 32c.
no matter how ventilated area is.

i would not suggest you units to go over 65C.

and if it is possible, just to extend their lives, can you turn them off for 2 hours during hottest time of day?
they will last longer.

we do not see a reason for replacing working units.

best regards,
Bitmain_Z
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2015, 03:36:51 AM

emailed Bitmain tech support and gotten the following response:

It contains wrong information unfortunately. Some of the support staff are very good, others it seems don't have much actual mining experience.

Most commercial farms will run between 30 and 35C ambient and I've done very extended tests on all Bitmain equipment at 40-45C. Only the S4+ doesn't like those temps but its still within specifications. 65C is on the cool side for an S4+ and they're specified for 90+.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: