Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 08:12:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S4+ Discussion and Support Thread  (Read 20078 times)
mungwi

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 02:38:53 AM

sure, whatever floats your boat i guess.  i on the other hand don't like replacing dead psu's or the risk of fire hazards.

emailed Bitmain tech support and gotten the following response:

It contains wrong information unfortunately. Some of the support staff are very good, others it seems don't have much actual mining experience.

Most commercial farms will run between 30 and 35C ambient and I've done very extended tests on all Bitmain equipment at 40-45C. Only the S4+ doesn't like those temps but its still within specifications. 65C is on the cool side for an S4+ and they're specified for 90+.
LeeC

Activity: 17

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 02:09:00 PM

I just wanted to give little positive feedback .

I ordered 2 x S4+ on Friday 3rd at 16:00 Hrs.. I paid 8.053 BTC in total including UPS shipping to the UK.
They've arrived this afternoon at noon on the 8th .. Very impressed with payment to mining time.

Straight out of the box, plugged the 1st unit in, configured a new password and it's up and running at 2,582 . I guess most importantly all the ASIC chips read 'o' so nothings broken on arrival ..

So far so good.. Time to get the 2nd miner out.

Only thing that made me raise an eyebrow was that out of the box they're configure to start mining in the antpool for them.. While i was getting sorted i heard the miner fire up . I do wonder how many units are out there in default config mining for them.
Prelude
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 02:34:49 PM

All of bitmain's hardware comes configured with their pool info, mining for them. If your first unit didn't, it was the exception the the rule.
lovenlifelarge

Activity: 676
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 08:24:16 PM

Hi all,

I understand the S4+ has some power mods to make it more power efficient than a S4. I was wondering if anyone can tell me about the freq settings in the S4+

---------------------------------------------------------------------

So in the S4 main freq settings i use are

100 = 1000gh at unsure power after removal of underclocking..

125 = 1250gh --- u get the picture

150 = 1500gh --- u get the picture

175 = 1750gh ---u get the picture

200 = 2000gh @ 1440w

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Can someone tell me how many chips are in the S4+, what the stock freq is for 2570gh @ 1480w & what other freqs are available & has under / over volting been removed?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My ultimate goal here is to work out what the lowest clock & volt are @ how many watts at the wall & if the S4 & the S4+ are essentially the same unit with exceptions on the power supply, how many chips are in the unit & stock voltage, What we & BITMAIN can do to translate these settings over to the S4 so we can give this puppy a bit more life...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note - what are the differences in the firmwares for the S4 & S4+??

And (Beware this is not a dare) has anyone tried (Or mistakenly) installed the S4+ firmware on an S4 & if so what was the outcome (Good or bad?)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

On another really side note does anyone know Smit who did the fan mod for the S4 in the begining?? Maybe he could answer a few of the questions i posed here??

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄▄███▀▀▀      ▀▀▀███▄▄
▄██▀▀                ▀▀██▄
▄██▀                      ▀██▄
██▀                          ▀██
██▀                            ▀██
██▀    ███████        ███████    ▀██
▄██   ██████████████  ██████████   ██▄
██     ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▄███████▄▄     ██
██     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ███████▀▀▀     ██
██         ███████  ███████         ██
██         ▀██████████████▀         ██
▀██         ▀████████████▀         ██▀
██▄         ████████████         ▄██
██▄         ██████████         ▄██
██▄                          ▄██
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀██▄▄                ▄▄██▀
▀▀███▄▄▄      ▄▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
    ███████████████████████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
███████████████████████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
███████████████████████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
███████████████████████
    ████████████████████▄
██                ████▄
██                ██████▄
██                ████████▄
██                ██████████▄
██                ████████████
██                ██        ██
██                ████████████
██                ██        ██
██████████████████████████████
██                          ██
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2015, 02:04:11 AM

All of bitmain's hardware comes configured with their pool info, mining for them. If your first unit didn't, it was the exception the the rule.

It makes sense, removes a potential variable if something isn't working. I leave my miner details when I send anyone hardware, so 1) I know when the hardware was turned on, 2) that I know it works on arrival and 3) so the customer knows its good.

dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2015, 02:04:56 AM

I understand the S4+ has some power mods to make it more power efficient than a S4. I was wondering if anyone can tell me about the freq settings in the S4+

See the S4+ guide in my sig or #2 post in this thread, there is a full frequency, hash rate, power consumption and temperature graph.

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
July 12, 2015, 07:25:20 AM
Last edit: July 12, 2015, 07:48:06 AM by notlist3d

And price was raised: Price:       1170 USD ( 3.927 BTC )

I hope they are speculating BTC will continue to rise with this.  Who knows.

*Also I should say for lack of a better term "I have no dog in this fight".  I'm not here to lecture Bitmain on how to price items, or start argument.  Just stating how it did go up to document price as of right now.
Prelude
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 05:58:05 PM

It makes sense, removes a potential variable if something isn't working. I leave my miner details when I send anyone hardware, so 1) I know when the hardware was turned on, 2) that I know it works on arrival and 3) so the customer knows its good.

I do too. When I see a blip on nicehash, I know everything's OK.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 06:37:26 PM

I do aswell, part of it is I hope they pick same pools as I know it's configured right as far as url and port.  One of the biggest things I do is make sure to include IP address on a piece of paper when I sell a piece of gear.   

I write a little quick start guide and it almost always saved me from having to mess around with helping set it up.   I only had once with a completely new miner that I had to put in a hour or so to get it to work on their network.
Prelude
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 07:20:00 PM

I do aswell, part of it is I hope they pick same pools as I know it's configured right as far as url and port.  One of the biggest things I do is make sure to include IP address on a piece of paper when I sell a piece of gear.  

I write a little quick start guide and it almost always saved me from having to mess around with helping set it up.   I only had once with a completely new miner that I had to put in a hour or so to get it to work on their network.

Just set the rig to DHCP before shipping out. If they're too dumb to get it going, I probably won't waste my time helping them.
boomin

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 05:31:44 AM

So just a quick rant - I bought 6 antminer s4+  on release day.  I bought 2 more a few weeks later.  I am having an issue with one of them, so I did the usual thing and sent Bitmain an email.  One board is not hashing - all x's and it crashes all the time...

I just received an email from Bitmain saying - check all the connections...but if its a hash board they are only 30 day warranty!!!  WTF???  When did that change?  All the s4's I bought - yes A LOT!  All had at least 90 day warranty.  So I am writing to let everyone know of this NEW running change with no notification *(at least that I was aware of)  So if you are on the fence if you should buy this one or another one.  Make sure you know the warranty before!  It's honestly a shame - as they took great care of me with the s4's and s5's previously!

Rant over...

AJ702 Huh Huh
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 05:48:56 AM

So just a quick rant - I bought 6 antminer s4+  on release day.  I bought 2 more a few weeks later.  I am having an issue with one of them, so I did the usual thing and sent Bitmain an email.  One board is not hashing - all x's and it crashes all the time...

I just received an email from Bitmain saying - check all the connections...but if its a hash board they are only 30 day warranty!!!  WTF???  When did that change?  All the s4's I bought - yes A LOT!  All had at least 90 day warranty.  So I am writing to let everyone know of this NEW running change with no notification *(at least that I was aware of)  So if you are on the fence if you should buy this one or another one.  Make sure you know the warranty before!  It's honestly a shame - as they took great care of me with the s4's and s5's previously!

Rant over...

AJ702 Huh Huh

Might respond with their warranty info that is still up: https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/202661989-Limited-90-Day-Warranty-Terms-

No where does it mention hashing boards are 30 day's.  I have never heard this before.  If they changed it to 30 day's on hashing boards the 90 day's not near what it was guess PSU, and controller.  But huge difference.
luthermarcus

Activity: 213

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 07:55:56 AM

Rant over...

AJ702 Huh Huh

Your mad and rightfully if enough of you are facing the same thing try to get a class action lawsuit going because that is definitely grounds for something like that. here check this out. http://www.classaction.org/list-of-lawsuits

Donate Bitcoin
1Mz7ZHxPhoH1ZK2yQvo62NdHvvsS2quhzc
Donate TRX
TB3WiLEj6iuSBU5tGUKyZkjB4vqrBDvoYM
Kexkey

Activity: 237

Smile while thinking.

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 12:03:29 PM

Rant over...

AJ702 Huh Huh

If they changed the warranty, first they have to publish the new conditions somewhere and then apply the modifications to units bought after the date of the change, not retroactively apply them to the ones bought before they changed it.  Well, that's what I think.  :-/

Thanks for pointing that out.

This digital signature is not a digital signature.
boomin

Activity: 133

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 03:21:03 PM

Yeah - I'm not happy to say the least...I also know that some negative publicity might sway their attitude a little bit.  I am still shocked!
It's at a data center so I haven't even had time to go an trouble shoot it.  It might even be their new "bulletproof" power supply.

I will keep you posted!

AJ
Prelude
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 05:20:32 PM
Last edit: August 04, 2015, 06:55:17 PM by Prelude

God fucking damnit BITMAIN, you removed frequency control  over 200MHz with the latest firmware updates, now I'm stuck with only 200MHz since there is no way to flash the original firmware back to the miner. Why the fuck aren't these kind of changes detailed in the change logs?!

What a great follow up to the S4 where they decided to remove voltage control.  Roll Eyes

BITMAIN, PLEASE make the original firmware available for download so I can revert, or bring frequency control back to the newer firmware.
hmkey

Activity: 13

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 06:38:39 PM

To the person above me;

I think you need to realise that backups are essential.
Especially with, what is estimate is to be, ones of small sizes.
Not that those are more important then bigger ones, just easyer.
You learned your lesson, it will come back no worries.
If not you will find a backup of someone who did backup, if you are a bit lucky.
Prelude
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 06:57:25 PM

While I agree that backups are important in life, this has nothing to do with backups. This has everything to do with BITMAIN removing functionality from it's hardware again. It'd worse this time around, though, since I can't flash back to the previous version.
dimke_yu

Activity: 461
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2015, 09:50:46 AM

Do you have .img with older firmware to burn on to microsd? If not I will provide with the link...

Prelude
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 02:34:35 PM

Do you have .img with older firmware to burn on to microsd? If not I will provide with the link...

I've tried the April 2nd images here: https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205145945-S4-Firmware

But they've been updated to July 15th firmware. The link descriptions are wrong, unfortunately. If you (or anyone) have a copy of the actual April 2nd image, I'd greatly appreciate it!!

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: