Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:48:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Proposal for some BIP with KYC elements  (Read 2661 times)
teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 11:38:29 PM

Well i don't think that anonymity was the main goal of bitcoin
https://web.archive.org/web/20090131115053/http://bitcoin.org/
01 Nov 2008

Bitcoin is a new design for a fully peer-to-peer electronic cash system. A C++ implementation is under development for release as an open source project.

Main properties:
  - Double-spending is prevented with a peer-to-peer network.
  - No mint or other trusted parties.
  - Participants can be anonymous.

One of the 3 main goals, so your premises are wrong.

I read Satoshi's paper couple of time, i tried to "enter" his mind to understand the poet's intention,anonymity wasn't one of his main goal i think.

That's taking things too far I think.  I agreed with you that anonymity was not the main goal.  As far as I'm concerned, the main goal was to do with creating a trustless wealth transfer protocol, where the functions of payment processors are wholly replaced with a system of cryptographic proofs.  Satoshi explains this clearly in the introduction of his whitepaper.

However, if the whitepaper does not highlight the importance of "anonymity", I would not take this to mean that anonymity was not an important goal (absence of evidence is not evidence of absence).  Sure, you might argue that the whitepaper carries more weight than a single post (more thought was put into its wording); however, by the same token, the whitepaper itself is surely trumped by Satoshi's actions:

The clues are everywhere, from Satoshi actually maintaining his own anonymity to the intention that addresses be used only once (a heavy blow to short-term usability; something Satoshi cared a lot about).  I personally like to cite the release notes for Bitcoin 0.2.  One does not properly torify the client at such an early stage unless one is taking anonymity pretty damned seriously.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: