Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 12:25:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I start Investing USD? (Betterment?)  (Read 4186 times)
Sophia1029 (OP)

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 25, 2015, 05:25:48 AM

I am sorry if this is in the wrong place, I really know very little about economics/financial stuff.

I am 23 and a college student and a part time employee and my annual income is around $7,000 (I focus more on school right now than work).
I have always wanted to learn how to invest but every time I try to research I get overwhelmed and it feels too complicated to me. But then I found this company website/Iphone app called Betterment and have been reading a lot of good reviews about it both from the App store and on websites. (I am in no way advertising this or spamming, this is a sincere post) Basically it manages your portfolio, it helps you set a goal and gives you advice on what to invest in and everything is just done there and to me it actually looks doable for once. The fees are really low and based on your account balanced. Basically if I start with $50 the monthly fee is $0.02 and if I had $30,000 in the account it would be $6 a month.
But here is also a general warning given in an article about it which scares me:
"In this Betterment review, I have to provide a common sense reminder. Like all market investments, Betterment’s stock and bond investments are subject to market risk. If the markets are up, your balance will likely grow. When markets go down, your balance will likely shrink. You have no guarantees and Betterment is not a FDIC insured savings account.

If you need your money in the short term, a savings account might be the best place for it, because you’re guaranteed to get back the the same dollars you put in (known as your principal).

When you invest in stocks and bonds, risk is present and you can lose money. The fact that you are taking more risk also means that you’ll likely earn higher returns over the long term."

So this statement made me want to ask you guys that I assume are more experienced investors, is it too late to start investing? Do you think the American or USD economy will crash drastically soon and is it even worth it???
Would you recommend this for a beginner.. trying this site?

BTW here is the article review I looked at:
http://cashcowcouple.com/service-reviews/betterment-review/

EDIT: This site is appealing to me because they apparently no longer have a minimum starting balance and having very little money I could start with a very small amount.
Basically I want to know if this looks like a legit, safe, and good site for a beginner like me from an experienced investor.  Also, does it look like I can take out money from profits at any time? Or do I have to keep money in my account and not touch it? Idk these things.

Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
April 25, 2015, 05:53:59 AM

You can take money out at any time, but depending on what country you're from the gains are taxable. Betterment fees are actually really high for low balance accounts (over 3% if I remember correctly) and it will destroy your long term gains.

A better alternative to betterment is Acorns, it rounds up your purchases and puts the "change" in the account. Fee is only $1 a month (plus a small % for larger accounts). If you don't want the "change" to be invested just link it to a card you don't use and then just use the deposit feature to add your $50/month in it.

An even better option (if/when you can afford it) is to open an IRA with a company (Vanguard for example) and make monthly deposits in it, inside the Roth IRA the gains aren't taxed when you withdrawal it in retirement, but if you withdrawal early you will pay a tax. And with the Roth IRA and your low income you actually get a small tax break by depositing money in it (I know a lot of people will come out of the woodworks and say "hey you only get tax breaks with Traditional IRA's!!!!", but check out Tax form 8880 before you criticize).

A retirement plan should be scheduled, IE "I will invest x dollars per month no matter what the market looks like". This is called dollar cost averaging and will help you the most in the long run.

If you think a big market crash/correction is going to happen soon just save the x dolllars/month right now and then start putting the money into the market in October of 2015, if a market crash happens in 2016 just keep investing your scheduled x dollars/month and consider yourself lucky for getting more shares per dollar.

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
crastolol

Activity: 2

View Profile
April 25, 2015, 08:19:18 AM

usd? usd is collapsing, don't listen to the price much, good investment option are bitcoin or gold
687_2

Activity: 173
Merit: 105

View Profile
April 25, 2015, 08:24:16 AM

I am sorry if this is in the wrong place, I really know very little about economics/financial stuff.

I am 23 and a college student and a part time employee and my annual income is around $7,000 (I focus more on school right now than work).
I have always wanted to learn how to invest but every time I try to research I get overwhelmed and it feels too complicated to me. But then I found this company website/Iphone app called Betterment and have been reading a lot of good reviews about it both from the App store and on websites. (I am in no way advertising this or spamming, this is a sincere post) Basically it manages your portfolio, it helps you set a goal and gives you advice on what to invest in and everything is just done there and to me it actually looks doable for once. The fees are really low and based on your account balanced. Basically if I start with $50 the monthly fee is $0.02 and if I had $30,000 in the account it would be $6 a month.
But here is also a general warning given in an article about it which scares me:
"In this Betterment review, I have to provide a common sense reminder. Like all market investments, Betterment’s stock and bond investments are subject to market risk. If the markets are up, your balance will likely grow. When markets go down, your balance will likely shrink. You have no guarantees and Betterment is not a FDIC insured savings account.

If you need your money in the short term, a savings account might be the best place for it, because you’re guaranteed to get back the the same dollars you put in (known as your principal).

When you invest in stocks and bonds, risk is present and you can lose money. The fact that you are taking more risk also means that you’ll likely earn higher returns over the long term."

So this statement made me want to ask you guys that I assume are more experienced investors, is it too late to start investing? Do you think the American or USD economy will crash drastically soon and is it even worth it???
Would you recommend this for a beginner.. trying this site?

BTW here is the article review I looked at:
http://cashcowcouple.com/service-reviews/betterment-review/

EDIT: This site is appealing to me because they apparently no longer have a minimum starting balance and having very little money I could start with a very small amount.
Basically I want to know if this looks like a legit, safe, and good site for a beginner like me from an experienced investor.  Also, does it look like I can take out money from profits at any time? Or do I have to keep money in my account and not touch it? Idk these things.

I read their terms and conditions and they trade in the same securities that they advise people on. They also hide the investment agreement until you give them your info and become a customer. I would guess that agreement says they can change the fees and terms at any time...

I personally don't play games with anybody in NYC, and I would also suggest developing useful, salable skills and start selling a product or service instead of worrying about this "investment" stuff. Most of it is just built by fly by night entrepreneurs looking for a quick sale - it is not for your benefit, but for theirs.

Buy the dip with the security and privacy of your own wallet: use cross chain atomic swaps to trade Bitcoin, USDT, and Ether. Trades are secured and settled on-chain. https://sibex.io
Anirban Sarkar

Activity: 55

View Profile
April 25, 2015, 08:52:54 AM

Yes you can but think before it whole life is risk so try to take risk also sometimes !! Boldly
tyz
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1531

View Profile
April 25, 2015, 11:17:50 AM

You are almost right. But you need to minus around 3% of inflation rate. Means, your money uses value or buying power of 3% each year.

Every investment is risky. The trick is to reduce the risk as much as possible. In your case, I would invest into an ETF (exchange traded fund) which depicts a world-based index (e.g. MSCI). If one world region is struggling, lets say the States, it will be compensate by another one, e.g. Europe or Asia. Furthermore, you get dividend payments anually.
Sophia1029 (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2015, 03:14:06 PM

Wow you guys are awesome! I really appreciate you all looking into this site for me for real!
I live in America and already have USD so I will not be transferring anything to USD. The reason I was saying USD is because this is a btc site and I wanted opinions on the future of USD just to know if it is worth investing in.

Someone mentioned that USD is "strong", therefore it is really risky. I thought if the currency is "strong" then you have a better chance of profiting?
Someone also mentioned ETF (I don't understand this) but in an article about the site it says that Betterment handles ETF:
"Betterment will build you an efficient portfolio comprised of widely diversified, low cost ETFs. If you don't want to manage your own portfolio, or hire a financial advisor, Betterment is tough to beat for the very low price."
687_2

Activity: 173
Merit: 105

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 08:56:14 PM

I thought if the currency is "strong" then you have a better chance of profiting?

The only way you have a better chance of profiting in anything is if you are in control. Meaning, start your own company.

Someone also mentioned ETF (I don't understand this) but in an article about the site it says that Betterment handles ETF:
"Betterment will build you an efficient portfolio comprised of widely diversified, low cost ETFs. If you don't want to manage your own portfolio, or hire a financial advisor, Betterment is tough to beat for the very low price."

If you don't understand it, never get involved in it.

Buy the dip with the security and privacy of your own wallet: use cross chain atomic swaps to trade Bitcoin, USDT, and Ether. Trades are secured and settled on-chain. https://sibex.io
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 07:55:25 AM

usd? usd is collapsing, don't listen to the price much, good investment option are bitcoin or gold

usd is still strong enough, long will the time, before we can see it collapsing, euro instead is in the dangerous zone along with bitcoin, gold is okish but not really remunerative, unless you invest millions...
Sophia1029 (OP)

View Profile
April 28, 2015, 02:46:02 PM

If the company were to shut down or the website, would I lose all my money invested into it?
lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 02:14:41 AM

If the company were to shut down or the website, would I lose all my money invested into it?

Don't use betterment the fees are too high for small accounts. Look into Acorns or just sign up for a Vanguard IRA.

You clearly didn't read my first response so this will be my last.

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
kinnu

Activity: 552
Merit: 255

View Profile
April 30, 2015, 08:18:28 AM

Investing in stock market with long term is better. Pick some good fundamentally strong stocks and invest in them research before investing.

P  A
              █████
▀████▄    ▄████▀
  ▀███   ████▀
    █▀ ▄███▀
      ███▀
    ▄██▀ ▄█▄
   ██▀   ████
 ▄█▀      ████▄
█▀         ▀▀▀▀▀

F  U  L

ЛУЧШAЯ P2P ПЛATФOPMA ДЛЯ CДEЛOК C БИTКOИHOM
                    ▄█████▄▄▄                                        ▄██▀██████▄
         ▄██████ ▄▄▄███▄                                  ▄███▀▀ ████████
        ▄█████████ ▄▄▄ █                                ▄███ █▄██ ▀▀▄▄ █
        ████▀███▀ █████▀█                               ██▀█▄▄███ ██▄█▀
       ███▀ ▄  ██▀███ █                                ▄▄█▀██████▀▀
      ▄███▄▀███▄▄██▄ █                                █▄▄▄█████ █▄
     ███████▄ █ ████▀ █ █    ▄█████████▄                 █ █▀███▀▄████
     ▀███████ █ ██████▀██    ███ ▄▄ ████                  ▀▀▀▀▄▄███████
       ▀███████▄ ▀▀▄▄█ █     ███ ▄▄  ███                       █████████▄▄
          ▀▀██████ ▄▄▄██     ███▄▄▄▄▄███                     ▄▄ █████▀▀ ███▄▄▄
           █▄▄▄▀██ ▀▀▀▀      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀     █████▄         ███▄ █▀ ▄▄██ ▀  █████▄
     ▄▄███▄▄▀▀██ ▄▄▄         ███████████      █████▄       █  ▀█  ████ ██████   ███▄
   ▄██████████▄  ████▄        ▀▀▀███▀▀▀        █████ █▄   █    ██▄▄▄███   █▀     ███▄
   ███████████████████           █▀            ▀▀▀▀ ██  █▀▀██▄  █████▄▄█▀ ▄▄█▄██  █
  █████████████████████                       █▀████████ ███ ███▀▀█████▀ ▄████ ██▄██ 
  ██████ ███████████▄▀██      ▄█████            █▄ ▀█████▄ ▀█ ▀█▄  ███▀ ▄█████  ███ █
  ██████▄████████████▄ ▄   ████████▀             ▀█████████ ▀██ █▄▄█▀ ▄████████▀▀ ██▀
 ▄████▀▀█ ████████████ █  ██ ▀▀▀ ▄                   ▀▀█████ █▄ ▀██ ▄████  ▀█▀▄█████
 █▀▄▄▄▀▀█ ▄ ████████▀  ▄▄█████████                     ▀██ ▄███▄▄▄██ ██     ███▀ ███
 █▀▄▄▄██  ██████▀▀▄▄██████████▄▄█                      ██ ▄▄█▀█████ █ ███  ▄██▀  █████
  ████████ ▀▀ ▄▄███████▀▀                               ▀███▄▄▄▄▄██▄█▄▄██████▀  ██████
nerFohanzo

Activity: 631
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 30, 2015, 05:26:34 PM

I give you 3 options

1 bitcoins
2 Gold
3 Stock market

And if you are looking for quick returns then just forget it.. you cant make quick money from above 3 products.
You have to be patient because all these investments are for long run. And if you are looking for quick money then i suggest you to go for betting on sports.  Smiley
coolcoinz
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1104

View Profile
April 30, 2015, 09:25:06 PM

I give you 3 options

1 bitcoins
2 Gold
3 Stock market

And if you are looking for quick returns then just forget it.. you cant make quick money from above 3 products.
You have to be patient because all these investments are for long run. And if you are looking for quick money then i suggest you to go for betting on sports.  Smiley

There are more options, you can for example buy good whiskey wine or even art if you like. Silver especially in the form of old coins can be a good investment.

Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 03:48:33 AM

T this time, just buy some coins.
manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 07:11:49 PM

I give you 3 options

1 bitcoins
2 Gold
3 Stock market

There are more options, you can for example buy good whiskey wine or even art if you like. Silver especially in the form of old coins can be a good investment.

Art is too difficult to nail, you never know what will blow up in price, same goes for stuff like whiskey. The stock market gives you the opportunity to invest in anything you like without having to physically own the stuff you want. So instead you could buy stocks for some whiskey factory or for some art convention, rather than owning the actual stuff which IMO is for rich people only.
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 11:16:07 PM

It is true that USD has been and continues to be strong. But ask yourself, w/ spending out of control and the debt continuing to pile up, the excessive printing of money to prop up the welfare/warfare state and the political class that is sustained by it, it can't go on much longer and it'll take the stock market w/ it on its way out. If you're 23, this shit will be well gone and different by the time you retire. You have plenty of future to generate income for yourself so I would stick w/ physical silver bullion and bitcoin. Silver will basically hedge against inflation while something so evolutionary as bitcoin will do its own thing which is likely to grow many times its current valuation.
Xenoph0bia

Activity: 966
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 11:33:25 PM

Investing in USD is always a great option. As it is Fiat Money there is no risk involved in it. People Resist in investing online as many scams are taking place nowadays so its better to invest in USD as it will surely gives you good returns in the future better then bitcoins atleast.
BTCevo
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1008

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 09:54:14 AM

Investing in USD is always a great option. As it is Fiat Money there is no risk involved in it. People Resist in investing online as many scams are taking place nowadays so its better to invest in USD as it will surely gives you good returns in the future better then bitcoins atleast.

Yes investing in USD is great but investing in a bitcoin is sure not a scam too because nowadays people are start using it as a digital payment. How can you said that is a scam? People start a new technology with it and it really gives you some profit and of course with this condition it will give you a good return of course and its better than USD
cinder

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 05:50:44 PM

USD is king in the deflationary cycle. You can scoop up assets at big discount when everything is going down the sink.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: