Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:56:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin as a catalyst for the next biological breakthrough.  (Read 479 times)
CryptoBadass (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 25, 2015, 05:51:50 PM

Hey everyone, long time lurker, finally have something meaningful to share. I also posted it to /r/bitcoin, but I figured I'd go ahead use the opportunity to make this my first post on bitcointalk as well. I'd really love for anyone interested in Bitcoin to read this. It's important to me.

Original Post: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/33u4z0/bitcoin_as_a_catalyst_for_the_next_major/

Copy/paste from original:
If I have learned one thing over my life, it is that the we as humans seem to have an innate desire to improve upon anything that can be improved upon. There is always someone out there that will say "we can do better" *and* set out to prove it.

The advancement of humanity and its technological achievements are accelerating at a staggering pace, the acceleration itself seems to be accelerating exponentially! Major human advancements, the type that change humanity forever, are taking place multiple times in a single lifetime now.

• We launched ourselves into the cosmos, and traveled over 250,000 miles to walk on our own moon. Then we came back home. This accomplishment has inspired countless people to this day, myself included. But it is only one of the giant leaps for mankind.
  • The Personal Computer was invented and opened up a seemingly endless stream of possibilities that we are still discovering.
  • We have begun harnessing the power of our own star, a ball of gas 93 million miles away from us.
  • The Internet was created, connecting the world together for the first time in human history. No longer are our minds limited to the books we have available. No longer are we limited to what's available in our communities, our cities, even our countries. We have the world at our fingertips. In what seems like an instant, centuries worth of human knowledge became accessible and as individuals we now have the opportunity to explore that knowledge, build upon it, and use it to better ourselves, our species, and our environment. Satoshi knew this, and took advantage of that opportunity, and out of it came Bitcoin. Which I personally believe is on the same level as those things above, in terms of what it can do for mankind's future.

Now coinsider this, those that came before us, no matter their knowledge, ambition, or inspiration, were still limited as to what they could accomplish by their lifespan. Science is currently challenging this limit. Some of you reading right now may be the first humans in history to live beyond your "natural years". Some of us may very well live to see the last satoshi be mined come 2140.

Many people may relegate the thought of this possible future to science fiction, or dismiss it because they believe it wont be here in their lifetimes. Some may not even allow themselves to see the point. I am not writing this to reach out to those people. I am writing this to reach out to those of you that are able comprehend the velocity of  technology, and the speed at which scientific breakthroughs are occurring.

Some of us may not only see this entire Bitcoin experiment play out, but we may have the opportunity to be a part of it, and shape it in its entirety, from the mining of the first bitcoin, to the mining of the very last Satoshi.

Assuming humanity continues at its current pace, overcoming our own natural lifespan is not only possible, but eventually inevitable. In our society today, the speed at which scientific discovery happens is largely governed by the money available to fund any given research project.

As a strong believer in Bitcoin, it only seems logical to me that we have a responsibility to use this amazing technology we have been given to help make this next breakthrough happen. To quote Isaac Newton: "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Every day, approximately 100,000 people die from diseases caused by aging. These diseases aren't pretty to discuss, many are painful, physically and emotionally. It is quite likely the largest contributor to human suffering in our lifetime. Not only for those that die, but for the loved ones they leave behind. We do our best to treat these diseases, but until we can slow down or stop the thing that causes them, aging, these treatments fight a battle they can't win.

Whether it be for yourself, your children, or for the human beings that have yet to be born, I am asking for the Bitcoin communities help in using this amazing technology as a catalyst to help create a future free from the diseases of age by donating to SENS Research Foundation: http://sens.org/ - a 501(c)(3) public charity dedicated to furthering this research. They already accept bitcoin donations on their donation page: http://sens.org/donate

Instead of just saying thanks to Satoshi, and all the giants who came before him, I propose we show our appreciation by using his monetary breakthrough to fund and ignite the next biological breakthrough.
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
RussianRaibow

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

I AM A SCAMMER

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2015, 06:01:06 PM

Thanks for sharing this. I thought many a times that the huge computational power used in mining may be used for genetic breakthrough.

I AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMER
tescomatty

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 25, 2015, 06:07:47 PM

Ive never really thought about it that way. There is a huge amount of processing power behind bitcoin. Though the problem is that a lot of it is in ASICs, so unless biology has to do with solving hashes, I dont think it will be extremely effective.

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
April 25, 2015, 06:59:14 PM

the only thing usable from asic that are mining bitcoin is the heat, if you can come up with something that really needs heat, other than heat the room of house/apartment, it could bring the mining to, a whole new level of usefulness
visual111

Activity: 493

View Profile
April 25, 2015, 08:10:27 PM

Anything that makes information transfer more efficient will undoubtely have an indirect effect on biotechnologies, or any other technology for that matter

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

INTRODUCING WAVES
ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM

futureofbitcoin

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 25, 2015, 08:19:41 PM

(comment from a user who despite reading the OP, still purposely posted something that has nothing to do with the topic)
Not really a lot better, IMO. Plus, just because someone is in a signature campaign, doesn't mean they don't try to make quality posts, or bother actually reading the OP. Not that you'll see this, right? Since you have everyone who has a sig campaign on your ignore list and all, that's why you were able to quote the first three replies, right?

In terms of the topic, I don't think there's any real point in donating in bitcoins rather than simply asking people to donate for biological research. How does bitcoin help? Although the first three posters did not read the OP, what they are talking about makes more sense in the context of a bitcoin forum. Besides, if the researchers are going to profit off of their research when it is finished, then those who contributed money to the research should get a piece of the pie as well, like a crowd-VC of sorts.

I think bitcoin can help in that respect. With smart contracts and what-not, I think we can maybe have a new class of investments kind of like stocks for these types of projects. 
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
April 25, 2015, 08:23:53 PM

Thanks for sharing this. I thought many a times that the huge computational power used in mining may be used for genetic breakthrough.

The problem is that you need to being able to simply prove that a specific piece of work that has been performed and submitted by a miner has actually been done according the "rules". With Bitcoin this is easy "Find an input into hash-function X whose hash-result is lower than [currentTarget]" Done. Work submitted in this way can be verified in milliseconds. How do you do that with research of protein-folding, for example? How do you know the submitted results are correct?

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4606

View Profile
April 25, 2015, 08:29:18 PM

(comment from a user that didn't bother reading the OP to see that he was asking for bitcoin donations, and instead assumed that the post probably has something to do with using mining power for research)

(comment from a user that didn't bother reading the OP to see that he was asking for bitcoin donations, and instead assumed that the post probably has something to do with using mining power for research)

(comment from a user that didn't bother reading the OP to see that he was asking for bitcoin donations, and instead assumed that the post probably has something to do information transfer)

Oh look,  All five silly responders posting nonsense are participating in a Signature Ad Campaign.  No surprise there.

imamanandyou

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 25, 2015, 08:48:57 PM

(comment from a user that didn't bother reading the OP to see that he was asking for bitcoin donations, and instead assumed that the post probably has something to do information transfer)

Oh look,  All five silly responders posting nonsense are participating in a Signature Ad Campaign.  No surprise there.

To be fair, he did take a while to get to the point. It was all the way at the end and only mentioned once. I think some of them may have just been responding to the first guy too.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: