Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 05:36:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin confirmations times are taking over 4 EFFING HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 9412 times)
auswalk (OP)

Activity: 128
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 07:33:37 AM

This is the second time in 2 days I've moved money and it's taken over 4 FUCKNG HOURS. .0001 BTC Fee. Pardon my french BUT WHAT IN THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THE GODDAMN NETWORK that this is occuring? A fucking 300 baud modem could move data faster than this.

This is total unacccepptable epic bullshit on every level. You think bitcoin will go to 0 cents in the future? Well keep up this bullshit.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 07:37:34 AM

Who exactly are you shouting at, or complaining to?  You do know that no one can change that your confirmations are taking so long don't you?

Maybe increase the transaction fee, or you have just been unlucky a couple of times in a row.  It isn't really a big issue when you try to spend them, but for moving BTC to exchanges or other wallets I see that it is annoying.
auswalk (OP)

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 07:39:54 AM

Who exactly are you shouting at, or complaining to?  You do know that no one can change that your confirmations are taking so long don't you?

Maybe increase the transaction fee, or you have just been unlucky a couple of times in a row.  It isn't really a big issue when you try to spend them, but for moving BTC to exchanges or other wallets I see that it is annoying.

I'm yelling at the communicty. This is an unacceptable currency if it takes 4 hours to make legitimize a purchase. Put resources on fixing this. As as far as I can tell this it bitcoins biggest threat to widepread option.
mezzomix
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1252

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 07:47:31 AM

There is no world-wide money transfer system that settles transaction faster than those 4 hours. Well, Bitcoin and its clones are most of the time much faster. If you are willing to accept the risc of chargebacks, you should accept 0-confirmation transactions.
auswalk (OP)

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 07:52:39 AM

There is no world-wide money transfer system that settles transaction faster than those 4 hours. Well, Bitcoin and its clones are most of the time much faster. If you are willing to accept the risc of chargebacks, you should accept 0-confirmation transactions.

The present system is clearly indequate for consumer use. An escow service like visa will be required.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2015, 08:01:54 AM

Litecoin is 4 times faster...so just one hour  Wink

kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 08:03:01 AM

There is no world-wide money transfer system that settles transaction faster than those 4 hours.

i take it you don't get out much, or do you just keep telling yourself this to make yourself feel better when using the almost useless as a currency bitcoin.
kelsey
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 08:04:17 AM

Litecoin is 4 times faster...so just one hour  Wink

never had litecoin transfer blow out that far, but yeah its why i use litecoin over bitcoin in trading.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2015, 08:07:44 AM

I sold someone some bitcoins last night. From my phone to his it took about 15 seconds before the transaction went through.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
twister

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2015, 08:08:45 AM

It happens sometimes, no body can control this. We know it's annoying but there isn't any solution to this. I never experienced this much delay. Can you show the block which took 4 hours?

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
mezzomix
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1252

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 08:10:17 AM

The present system is clearly indequate for consumer use. An escow service like visa will be required.

What do we talk about? Settling time? VISA needs 6 weeks (or is it even more?) until a transaction is settled and a chargeback is not possible anymore.

BTW, there are already Bitcoin payment processors that accept 0-confirmation transactions. Having a receiver that accepts 0-confirmation transactions, your payment is accepted in seconds (most of the time under 1 second!) and settling takes place a little bit later. Escrow is a different topic. If you are interested in escrow, check multisig escrow!
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2015, 08:13:45 AM

correct mezzo. and there will be payment channels / lightning network and things we dont even know yet. i see no problem  Smiley

http://lightning.network/lightning-network.pdf

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 08:14:43 AM

yoiu don't need to wait for confirmation, we are not under any attack let alone 51%, even without confirmations and just the pending status, you are fine anyway

and satoshi don't agree with you

I believe it'll be possible for a payment processing company to provide as a service the rapid distribution of transactions with good-enough checking in something like 10 seconds or less.

The network nodes only accept the first version of a transaction they receive to incorporate into the block they're trying to generate.  When you broadcast a transaction, if someone else broadcasts a double-spend at the same time, it's a race to propagate to the most nodes first.  If one has a slight head start, it'll geometrically spread through the network faster and get most of the nodes.

A rough back-of-the-envelope example:
1         0
4         1
16        4
64        16
80%      20%

So if a double-spend has to wait even a second, it has a huge disadvantage.

The payment processor has connections with many nodes.  When it gets a transaction, it blasts it out, and at the same time monitors the network for double-spends.  If it receives a double-spend on any of its many listening nodes, then it alerts that the transaction is bad.  A double-spent transaction wouldn't get very far without one of the listeners hearing it.  The double-spender would have to wait until the listening phase is over, but by then, the payment processor's broadcast has reached most nodes, or is so far ahead in propagating that the double-spender has no hope of grabbing a significant percentage of the remaining nodes.
kelsey
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 08:20:21 AM

and satoshi don't agree with you

but then he also didn't agree with me when I said there was no imaginary killer hornets chasing us  Huh
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 08:21:08 AM

I sold someone some bitcoins last night. From my phone to his it took about 15 seconds before the transaction went through.

I think I smell something....

Yeah, I smell bullshit  Wink

Oh, wait, you mean the transaction went through.....
When did the 1st confirmation come through?
Brother Darkness

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 08:21:17 AM

I'm yelling at the communicty. This is an unacceptable currency if it takes 4 hours to make legitimize a purchase. Put resources on fixing this. As as far as I can tell this it bitcoins biggest threat to widepread option.

There's nothing we can do but you should post the transaction id. I've never had a problem with stuck transactions though I'm not saying people can't get unlucky but you're coming across pretty trollish at the moment.
auswalk (OP)

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 08:26:30 AM

It happens sometimes, no body can control this. We know it's annoying but there isn't any solution to this. I never experienced this much delay. Can you show the block which took 4 hours?

https://blockchain.info/tx/ed451475658e223faa12782abdd73eed08e0ed7f1a34799076cefa0104662aa3

WE are over 4 hours now. WHat an epic fucking joke this is. Try explaining this to a laymen and they'll laugh you right out of the room.
Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2015, 08:30:17 AM

Confirmation did not matter. We met through localbitcoins. I have a 100% reputation with over 50 trades. For me to reverse the transaction on someone and sacrifice that reputation would be stupid.

Even when I sold a rather large amount of bitcoins to someone they were ok with just the transaction going through. We had traded before and we both understand that we want to continue trading in the future for our own mutual benefit.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
auswalk (OP)

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 08:31:45 AM

Confirmation did not matter. We met through localbitcoins. I have a 100% reputation with over 50 trades. For me to reverse the transaction on someone and sacrifice that reputation would be stupid.

Even when I sold a rather large amount of bitcoins to someone they were ok with just the transaction going through. We had traded before and we both understand that we want to continue trading in the future for our own mutual benefit.

Are you trying to be funny or on you on LSD?
Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2015, 08:33:42 AM

Are you trying to be funny or on you on LSD?
I was responding to an implication of BS.

Why does confirmation matter in your case OP?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: