Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 07:13:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Baltimore burns. Why?  (Read 5677 times)
ibminer
Legendary

Activity: 1837
Merit: 2861

Goonies never say die.

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2015, 11:28:37 AM

Section 1) Ultimately the police snapped his neck while he was restrained. Whether or not drugs, the great bulk of his "crimes" are objectively criminal is an issue for elsewhere. His crimes generally fall into the category of "i got no money". The snapping of his neck while restrained, and the defense of anyone justifying that, even indirectly, including you, falls into the category " i got money and those who don't are poor for some natural reason or defect".

2) http://www.lifeforpot.com/ and you don't 'have a right to defend yourself i.e. shoot when someone is pointing a gun at you. You have a fucking brain. Obviously you have had no guns pointed at you in questionable circumstances. The vast majority of ',pointed guns' are bluffs. If you are quick to shoot you will be slow to learn.

3) I estimated you as being young because of your comments. That is unchanged.

4) You seem to have this ridiculous notion that the number one priority for police is to porotect themselves, and that attitude is what led to thrse riots and probably more soon. If your number one priority is to just collect a fat paycheck and stay alive at all costs then don't become a cop.

A police of first shot = unemployed doesn't require any dramatic paperwork. Something like 99.999% of situations do not even come close to requiring that you fire the first shot. If a cop misjudges and shoots he can try another line of work. If he finds himself in that rare situation when a quick first shot was justified, again he can talk about it at his next place of work.

Ultimately, your drawing conclusions without any facts. You don't know what happened, nor do I. The facts are not all out in the case yet. The closest witness (the prisoner that was in the van with Freddie) states that he believes Freddie was banging his own head against the van in an attempt to injure himself. Rioting over speculation is stupid, peacefully protesting for the answers is great. Crimes because you "got no money" are still crimes and still illegal. If you think that criminals, thugs, whatever you want to call them, will shoot each other & regular citizens, without hesitation, but will not shoot a cop without hesitation in 99.999% of the situations, you would be severely misguided. It sounds like you just want cops getting killed, or you just want to allow the crime to happen if the criminal has a gun pointed at you. Baltimore has had over 15 shooting deaths in 2015 so far, and 70 homicides.

ibminer
Legendary

Goonies never say die.

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2015, 06:25:14 PM
Last edit: April 30, 2015, 06:40:03 PM by ibminer

They aren't really "rioting over speculation". They are rioting bevause for 100% of their lives they have watched cops get away with killings and other things. The riots are not a calculated event, at least on the part of the rioters. Peaceful protesting is nice, I agree, but it does absolutely nothing. Who are you trying to fool?

When you say "crimes because you 'got no money' are still crimes", you are at the point where you and I disagree.

Of course it is a crime for a wealthy person to steal hubcaps off cars at night. Is that why they don't do it? Are wealthy people too ethical and law abiding to steal hubcaps?

As for shootings, the vast majority of things police are sent to deal with do not involve any shooting, and when the cops are sent to a place where a shooting has occurred already they should have the ability to deal with the situation, in most cases, without further shooting. A lot of people who become cops do so for the same basic reason kids join gangs, and shooting at an opposing force is kind of fun for them, so they try to justify shooting. But the truth is that shooting is almost never necessary.

You assume that because I do not support unnecessary violence that therefore I support surrendering to people who do use violence. That is not the case.

No, they are rioting because they believe a police officer violently broke a drug dealers neck and they do not believe the cop had a right to chase him. Plus, they have little money, no job, and why the fuck not riot?   It was fun for them. They're bored. By the way, the 'no money and no job' isn't going to get any better now that they've burned down several businesses and likely thwarted new business ventures from starting up anytime soon.

Peaceful protestors are coming together to plead their case for police brutality or discrimination. IMO, this is driven by media, skewed statistics, and desensitized police that let power get to their head and think they are better than the humans they are in a community with.
Unfortunately, most of the parents in Baltimore City are drugged up themselves, kids have no guidance, they accept the world in which they are given. And one of the top rules of their world is "hate/fuck the police", no matter what experiences they have personally had with them.

Plenty of rich people steal now, just in 'white collar' way. I do hear what your saying, I wouldn't have the same response to someone shoplifting to feed their children, but you shouldn't equate that with someone dealing drugs, burglarizing, and destroying other peoples property (all things Freddie did). He didn't deserve to die, but if it was self-inflicted, that's his fault. The cops should be let go regardless, however, because they should have been able to realize he wasn't faking after the first few times of asking for medical attention and maybe he would still be around today.

The issue is that the police have become desensitized, which allows them to make misjudgments like not provide medical assistance to someone screaming in pain and they ultimately end up treating people like animals. Its partly psychological and it doesn't matter who you make a cop, similar to the Standford Prison Experiment. Its not good, I'm not justifying their actions, just explaining.

In addition, I want to correct my stat in my prior post. There have been 59 shootings in Baltimore City in 2015, out of 70 homicides, so far - not 15 like I had thought. You just seem to think nobody shoots... all just bluffs. Tell that to the 59 dead people in the last 4 months in Baltimore City.

Not to mention, you just made my point yourself, its fun for them to shoot at an opposing force. If your a cop, and your in a city that has had 59 shootings in 4 months. Average 3 per week. I can assure you they are on edge when approaching any criminal in Baltimore City and your theories of just "holding tight" and assuming its a bluff when someone aims a gun at you is asinine IMO.

2015, so far: 59 shootings out of 70 homicides. Avg 3 per week.
2014: 160 shootings out of 211 homicides. Avg 3 per week
2013: 189 shootings out of 235 homicides. Avg 3 per week.
2012: 181 shootings out of 217 homicides. Avg 3 per week.

Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2015, 01:27:23 AM

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2015/04/28/3651951/baltimore-freddie-gray-economic/

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
cryptocoiner

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

hyperboria - next internet

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2015, 07:24:33 AM

In Oct 2013 a young woman with a child bumped a concrete divider near a D.C. attraction.
The police got excited.
She panicked and tried to flee.
The police filled her car with bullets.
When they finally stopped shooting she had several bullet holes in her back.
The baby that was in the car with her was not hit.

The mainstream media started by headlining "Police Rescue Baby".
When that became too absurd even for Americans they switched to " Possible Suicide Bomber Killed In D.C."

The young lady had lived in Bed Stuy and Baltimore, both places you don't stop for strangers with guns and badges don't really tell you if a person is friendly.

----

Then today Baltimore http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/10354477/Woman-shot-dead-after-trying-to-ram-security-barrier-at-White-House.html

----

Any connection or coincidence?

Re: Baltimore burns. Why?

Google - "Ten Cities of 100,000 or More with Highest Percentage of Blacks or African Americans, 2000 and 2010"

Baltimore has 64% percent of a black population. A lot of them unemployed. No wonder they will easily go mad becouse of everything.

Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 11:43:58 PM

Want to fix Baltimore? ‘End the drug war,’ says David Simon

No, The Wire does not explain what's happening in Baltimore this week, as my colleague Alyssa Rosenberg wrote yesterday. Still, the show's creator and former Baltimore Sun reporter David Simon knows a lot more about the city than most of us. And in a wide-ranging and riveting interview with The Marshall Project today, he offers an unequivocal assessment of how to turn things around in that city today.

"So do you see how this ends or how it begins to turn around?" Bill Keller asks him.

"We end the drug war," Simon says. "I know I sound like a broken record, but we end the [expletive] drug war. The drug war gives everybody permission to do anything. It gives cops permission to stop anybody, to go in anyone’s pockets, to manufacture any lie when they get to district court... Medicalize the problem, decriminalize [it] — I don't need drugs to be declared legal, but if a Baltimore State’s Attorney told all his assistant state’s attorneys today, from this moment on, we are not signing overtime slips for court pay for possession, for simple loitering in a drug-free zone... then all at once, the standards for what constitutes a worthy arrest in Baltimore would significantly improve."

Simon traces the arrest and death of Freddie Gray to a police culture that's long since abandoned any pretense of probable cause when it comes to stopping and arresting young black men in the city. "The drug war — which Baltimore waged as aggressively as any American city — was transforming in terms of police/community relations, in terms of trust, particularly between the black community and the police department," he says. "Probable cause was destroyed by the drug war."

In the growing concern over drug use in the 1980s and 1990s, political leaders -- in Baltimore and in cities all over the country -- began throwing people in jail on flimsy suspicions, Simon argues. "Too many officers who came up in a culture that taught them not the hard job of policing, but simply how to roam the city, jack everyone up, and call for the wagon."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/04/29/want-to-fix-baltimore-end-the-drug-war-says-david-simon/?tid=sm_tw
ibminer
Legendary

Goonies never say die.

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2015, 02:36:38 AM

In light of further revealed evidence in the investigation, I'm disgusted by the cops actions and believe they should be charged, as they have been. This still doesn't justify the rioting, this evidence would have come out whether a riot happened or not... it wasn't worth the self-inflicted damage to the community done.

Also, I hope nobody makes this about race. It is a problem between what the law currently sees as criminals, and police. There were 3 white cops, and 3 black cops. My mind is a little boggled right now because I really am surprised 6 cops could participate in something like this.... reminds me again of the stanford experiment. Its a sad day in humanity to see someone disrespect another life like this. Freddie Gray was not a saint, and I personally would classify him as a criminal based on his history, but he certainly didn't deserve to die, and in such a cruel fashion.

Baltimore has been on the verge of adopting body cams for all police, which I guess is a step in the right direction. Surveillance inside of police wagons would also be a good step after this BS... RIP Freddie.

Undecided

Chef Ramsay
Legendary

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 12:48:48 AM

SHERIFF: 'DUKE LACROSSE CASE ALL OVER AGAIN'...

Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke (D) declared the charges brought against six police officers in the death of Freddie Gray “George Zimmerman and the Duke Lacrosse case all over again” and said “these cops are political prisoners,” offered up as human sacrifices, thrown like red meat to an angry mob” on Friday’s “Your World with Neil Cavuto” on the Fox News Channel.

Clarke said of the charges, “it’s a miscarriage of justice. This neophyte prosecutor stood up there and made a political statement, Neil, and I say that because she’s chanting or voicing some of the chants from this angry mob. Her job is to tune that out. She said, I hear the voices. She’s not supposed to hear anything as she reviews this case that is not consistent with the rule of law and our system of justice. Look, I’m an experienced and a veteran homicide detective. I’ve had — I’ve participated in charging conferences. There is no way I have ever gotten a criminal charge within 24 hours after taking over all the reports and evidence to a prosecutor. A prosecutor who is thorough needs several days to sift through hundreds of pages of reports. They usually want to interview some of the witnesses themselves, in person, and they have to sift through all of the evidence, piece by piece, and they have to wait for some of the forensics evidence to conclude, to come back and that’s why I say on a minimum, three to four days. She just got this case yesterday. This is political activism. She’ll never prove this beyond a reasonable doubt, and I’m not going to silently stand by and watch my brother officers, offered up as human sacrifices, thrown like red meat to an angry mob, just to appease this angry mob.” And that “she rushed this thing through.”

More...http://www.breitbart.com/video/2015/05/01/clarke-freddie-gray-charges-duke-lacrosse-case-all-over-again/
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 12:57:35 AM

There's really no segment of society worse at writing, editing, and analyzing news than the media. It's amazing.

Headline: Woman shot dead after trying to ram security barrier at White House

The woman is revealed to be Miriam Carey in the opening statement. Later, they point out there was a baby in the vehicle who was "in 'good condition.'" There are no other people named Carey indicated as relevant by the story.

Closing paragraph: Both Carey and the police office were taken to the MedStar Washington Hospital Center. A spokesman would not comment on their conditions.

This isn't isolated - it's a systemic problem in our society! I'm convinced I could take this post to any journalist and have <20% identify why this is fucked up. -But I guess just communicating the event at all is better than having it competently communicated. Truly infuriating story... thank you for posting. Angry

See also:
<20% of newspaper/"webpaper" editorial staff will notice the bold/italicized text is fucked up.
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 12:58:44 AM

GoFundMe For Freddie Gray Officers Removed After 41 Minutes

The Baltimore City Fraternal Order of Police created a GoFundMe page for the six officers who were charged Friday in the death of Freddie Gray—but it lasted for less than an hour before being removed from the site.

The Fraternal Order of Police, a union representing Baltimore City police officers, set a fundraising goal of $600,000 to pay for the living expenses of the six officers, who were placed on unpaid suspension after they were charged in Gray’s death. In 41 minutes, the page raised $1,135.

It’s unclear whether GoFundMe deleted the fundraiser set up for the six officers, but the FOP posted on its Facebook page, “Apparently our GoFundMe account has been suspended with no explanation. We are working to find a new site for donations. Thank you!”

More...http://www.vocativ.com/news/189320/freddie-gray-gofundme-removed-baltimore-police-officers/

They should get themselves a bitcoin wallet and then ask for people to get coins and hook them up. That would be a nice little boost in demand and marketing for us at the same time. The diehard police lovers, who are probably middle aged and older and white, could use a little homework assignment.
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 02:32:30 AM

Curfew remains in place in Baltimore even as charges defuse tensions

BALTIMORE — After an unprecedented week of upheaval, thousands in this beleaguered city came out once again Saturday, this time hoping that the end of chaos would mark the beginning of real change.

The crowd gathered at City Hall on a gorgeous spring day may have been smaller than the 5,000 predicted when the rally was planned, but it was decidedly upbeat.

Protesters who had grown hoarse calling for police to be held accountable in the death of Freddie Gray seemed almost disoriented by getting their wish. Some toggled between euphoria and skepticism. Others tried to keep the pressure on, saying that only a conviction would equal justice.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/as-baltimore-stirred-to-life-saturday-calm-and-normalcy-prevail/2015/05/02/1478e0c8-f057-11e4-a55f-38924fca94f9_story.html
freakying99

Activity: 429
Merit: 250

Pythagoras and Plato are my brothers.

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 01:00:41 AM

It burns because of dirty racist cops and because the people who live there need to get their voice out so then burn down the city and now the whole world is listening.
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 02:23:32 AM

Baltimore protesters celebrate, defy curfew after officers charged

Baltimore (AFP) - Protesters in Baltimore erupted in celebration and hundreds of people broke the city's curfew, a day after six police officers were charged over the death of an African-American man in their custody.

The death of 25-year-old Freddie Gray had sparked rioting and days of protests in the US East Coast port city over alleged police racism and brutality.

But the mood on the streets was drastically different on Saturday, with people singing and dancing as they cheered the charges including second-degree murder and manslaughter laid against the six police officers -- three of them black.

More...http://news.yahoo.com/thousands-hold-street-party-baltimore-officers-charged-021024806.html
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 02:25:36 AM

U.S. Split Along Racial Lines on Backlash Against Police, Poll Finds

Americans are bracing for a summer of racial disturbances around the country, such as those that have wracked Baltimore, with African Americans and whites deeply divided about why the urban violence has occurred, a new Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll has found.

A resounding 96% of adults surveyed said it was likely there would be additional racial disturbances this summer, a signal that Americans believe Baltimore’s recent problems aren’t a local phenomenon but instead are symptomatic of broader national problems.

When asked to explain recent events in Baltimore and other cities that have seen confrontations between police and members of the African-American community, blacks and whites viewed the situation differently.

Asked to choose between two possible explanations for recent events, 60% of blacks said they reflected “long-standing frustrations about police mistreatment of African Americans.” Some 27% of black respondents said the disturbances were caused by people who used protests over an African American man dying in police custody  “as an excused to engage in looting and violence.”

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2015/05/03/u-s-split-along-racial-lines-on-backlash-against-police-poll-finds/
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 10:27:54 PM

Baltimore got $1.8 billion in stimulus for education, crime prevention

The city of Baltimore received over $1.8 billion from President Barack Obama’s stimulus law, including $467.1 million to invest in education and $26.5 million for crime prevention.

President Obama claimed last Tuesday that if the Republican-controlled Congress would implement his policies to make “massive investments in urban communities,” they could “make a difference right now” in the city, currently in upheaval following the death of Freddie Gray.

However, a Washington Free Beacon analysis found that the Obama administration and Democratically-controlled Congress did make a “massive” investment into Baltimore, appropriating $1,831,768,487 though the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA), commonly known as the stimulus.

More...http://freebeacon.com/issues/baltimore-received-1-8-billion-from-obamas-stimulus-law/

See how money ever so efficiently solves all the problems over here? Progressivism works so eloquently. Roll Eyes End the drug war and stop subsidizing people (single mothers) from having children and the inner city problem would be solved.
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 02:48:55 AM

Another black man was shot in Baltimore tonight, it's being shown on Fox right now good grief. Will post more soon. Apparently shot in the back but this one was allegedly armed.
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 02:50:06 AM

Fox interviewing witness: says guy was 18-19, sitting on steps of house, police car stopped by house, guy took off, police chased and then fired.

Witness says guy did not have gun in his hand.
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 02:50:36 AM

Fox reporting police statement: while running away, suspect dropped pistol, pistol went off accidentally, that's when cop fired
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 02:55:41 AM

Fox News erroneously reports that police in Baltimore shot man

Fox News erroneously reported that Baltimore police shot a man Monday in the same neighborhood where unrest broke out last week — a mistake quickly corrected by the news network.

The midafternoon report by correspondent Mike Tobin, which also found its way onto Foxnews.com, was potentially dangerous, given the elevated tensions in Baltimore’s Sandtown section, where protests and looting erupted in the wake of the death of Freddie Gray while in police custody.

Tobin’s report caused about 30 minutes of unease in Baltimore before Fox anchor Shepard Smith went on-air to correct the story and apologize for the incorrect information. His apology followed a statement from Baltimore police that there had been no shooting.

More...http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/as-it-turned-out-nobody-was-shot-fox-news-quickly-reverses-report-of-baltimore-shooting/2015/05/04/9fc9c824-f299-11e4-84a6-6d7c67c50db0_story.html

You've got to be kidding, Fox just lost all cred on this here.
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 03:18:49 AM

Fox interviewing witness: says guy was 18-19, sitting on steps of house, police car stopped by house, guy took off, police chased and then fired.

Witness says guy did not have gun in his hand.

A witness?

I witnessed a UFO land in NYC and shapeshift into a horse.

Where is Fox news when the big stories happen?
They were trying to generate a big story here, can't ya tell? It's now almost certain that a black man wasn't shot despite that social media is running with it that the police did so.
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 04:00:11 AM

Detroit prosecutor resigns after saying Baltimore rioters should be shot

DETROIT (Reuters) - A Detroit prosecutor who said on Facebook that people involved in Baltimore rioting should be shot has resigned, after her comments ignited fierce criticism, the prosecutor's office said on Friday.

Wayne County Assistant Prosecutor Teana Walsh had posted comments about this week's unrest in Baltimore, which was sparked by the death of Freddie Gray after he was fatally injured in police custody, according to a screenshot of her page posted on MyFox Detroit.com.

She described "large swarms of people throwing bricks etc at police who are fleeing from their assaults" and then suggested using guns.

"Simple. Shoot em. Period. End of discussion," Walsh posted.

The comment, which was criticized by local defense attorneys, has since been taken down from Facebook and Walsh's page is not accessible.

The death of 25-year-old Gray, who was black, has become the latest flashpoint in a national debate over the treatment of minority groups by U.S. law enforcement.

The populations of both Baltimore and Detroit are predominantly black. Nearly two-thirds of Baltimore's population and 83 percent of Detroit's is black. Both communities also experienced brutal race riots in the 1960s.

Walsh called Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy on Friday afternoon to say she was voluntarily resigning, and Worthy accepted, said assistant prosecutor Maria Miller in a statement on Friday.

http://news.yahoo.com/detroit-prosecutor-resigns-saying-baltimore-rioters-shot-193846671.html
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: