Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 11:41:17 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: theymos, please BAN all common IP sockpuppet accounts  (Read 6074 times)
bitlane (OP)
Internet detective

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

I heart thebaron

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 08:52:30 PM

theymos, please BAN all common IP sockpuppet accounts.

...that is all.

thanks.
bitlane

<EDIT>
I should add, I have a previous account that I abandoned BEFORE creating this account over 1 year ago, after the Mt.Gox hack....as I got tired of the SPAM emails etc with user lists.

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 08:53:39 PM

+1
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 09:06:24 PM

You realise this would affect people sharing the same house, posting from the same school/workplace/hotspot, and people whose ISPs use a common gateway.  It's also going to have limited usefulness with regard to people who have dynamic IPs (most people I know use some kind of wireless internet access).

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5236
Merit: 13090

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 09:17:31 PM
Merited by LoyceV (2), Quickseller (2)

I don't have a problem with alt accounts as long as they're not used for evading bans. If you're hesitant to say something controversial because you don't want it to be associated with your name, please create an alt account and say it.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
bitlane (OP)
Internet detective

I heart thebaron

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 09:25:24 PM

Although I appreciate the 'free hand' in the matter, I would rather people know exactly WHO said what when they come looking for me at my house.

TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2012, 09:34:46 PM

IMO this problem needs to be attacked where it occurs, not by banning alternates. Not only do alternate accounts serve a legitimate purpose, but at the end of the day trolls will simply use a VPN or another form of anonymizer to change their IP anyways, creating a lose lose situation.
yogi
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1042

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 09:38:09 PM

I don't have a problem with alt accounts as long as they're not used for evading bans. If you're hesitant to say something controversial because you don't want it to be associated with your name, please create an alt account and say it.

What are the names of your sock-puppets?
(waits for evasive response)

rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 10:22:49 PM

* rjk sees a ban in yogi's future for talking back to an admin

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
yogi
Legendary

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 11:18:55 PM

* rjk sees a ban in yogi's future for talking back to an admin

Oh no! I should have used a sock-puppet.

myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2012, 12:21:41 AM

If there is something you're not comfortable saying associated with your name, maybe you should reconsider saying it at all.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 12:27:40 AM

If there is something you're not comfortable saying associated with your name, maybe you should reconsider saying it at all.
I doubt many usernames here are associated with names anyways, so this doesn't apply to the average user. Company representatives (like MagicalTux) or Bitcoin core developers (like Satoshi) should use alt accounts to avoid tainting their name.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2012, 12:31:34 AM

I doubt many usernames here are associated with names anyways, so this doesn't apply to the average user. Company representatives (like MagicalTux) or Bitcoin core developers (like Satoshi) should use alt accounts to avoid tainting their name.
That's my point. You don't want to taint your name, don't say it.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
yogi
Legendary

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 12:39:54 AM

I think there is a more serious point here. You can use sock-puppets to create false credibility, such as positive feedback on a fake investment opportunity. You can then use that credibility to con people out of their money.

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5236
Merit: 13090

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 12:44:45 AM

That's a pretty naïve view, IMO. A person isn't composed of just one personality. You're a different person in different places and situations, and it's uncomfortable to mix all of these personalities into one.

I think there is a more serious point here. You can use sock-puppets to create false credibility, such as positive feedback on a fake investment opportunity. You can then use that credibility to con people out of their money.

I sometimes do react to stuff like this when I see it. Readers should really judge posts purely on the merit of their arguments, though, and not based on how many people said something or how many posts someone has.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
myrkul

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2012, 12:49:25 AM

That's a pretty naïve view, IMO. A person isn't composed of just one personality. You're a different person in different places and situations, and it's uncomfortable to mix all of these personalities into one.

No, I am always the same person in any situation. A mature person is comfortable with who he or she is, and accepts all facets of his or her personality. If you are not comfortable with something about yourself, perhaps you need to examine why.

dree12
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 12:51:27 AM

No, I am always the same person in any situation. A mature person is comfortable with who he or she is, and accepts all facets of his or her personality. If you are not comfortable with something about yourself, perhaps you need to examine why.
A PR official cannot afford to discuss controversial topics, even if the person behind it knows that that is their viewpoint. You are assuming personalities necessitation sockpuppets, which as you point out is weak at best. However, positions and jobs do necessitate sockpuppets. That freedom is why I prefer BitcoinTalk over other forums.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2012, 01:23:25 AM

A PR official cannot afford to discuss controversial topics, even if the person behind it knows that that is their viewpoint. You are assuming personalities necessitation sockpuppets, which as you point out is weak at best. However, positions and jobs do necessitate sockpuppets. That freedom is why I prefer BitcoinTalk over other forums.

A "personal" account and a "business" account is one thing. That's not a sockpuppet, it's separation of yourself and your job. Not wanting to tie an unpopular opinion to your business is fine, but creating a sockpuppet to avoid owning your opinions is disingenuous at best, and fraudulent at worst.

SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 01:43:59 AM

I don't see how having more than one account, besides the possibility for misuse such as creating fake investments and fake credibility, can be a bannable offense. If I wanted to have another account, as long as that account isn't doing anything wrong, and my other account isn't doing anything wrong, whats the problem? If someone is making 500 accounts so that they can scam people, sure, ban them. But what if I wanted an account to represent my honest beliefs, and then another account to relax and mess around a bit more on. I've been known to kid/mess with people, but if I ever wanted to maintain a serious status for whatever reason, I would have a hard time doing that, because of my tendency to heckle. So again, explain to me what is wrong about having one account to be a bit less uptight, and another one to keep a professional stature with as long as I'm not being abusive on either account?
bitlane (OP)
Internet detective

I heart thebaron

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 01:49:06 AM

People that need more than 1 account are the same people that need the 'ignore' feature....COWARDS & CRYBABIES

dree12
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 01:51:38 AM

A "personal" account and a "business" account is one thing. That's not a sockpuppet, it's separation of yourself and your job. Not wanting to tie an unpopular opinion to your business is fine, but creating a sockpuppet to avoid owning your opinions is disingenuous at best, and fraudulent at worst.
When fraudulent, correction is not only acceptable but advisable. But before fraudulence, the freedom to create and utilize sockpuppets adds, not detracts, from the forum experience.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: