Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 08:07:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: could ripple be the new bitcoin and go up in value?  (Read 3409 times)
wagabee london (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 02:21:31 PM

could ripple be the new bitcoin and go up in value?

⚫ ▬▬     V T O S   |   Decentralized CDN & Social Network     ▬▬ ⚫
  Whitepaper    JOIN OUR ICO  >  MAY 28th  <
FACEBOOK               MEDIUM               TWITTER               GITHUB               TELEGRAM
JackRipper

Activity: 210

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 02:26:29 PM

The news about Western Union certainly can't hurt it. I'm sure that it will have a positive effect on the price.

shanem
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 02:58:03 PM

I don't think so.
Ripple coin supply keeps increasing.
I don't think it will be as successful as bitcoin if its supply keep increasing rapidly.

█           
           ██           
          ██████         
         ████████         
        ██████████       
       ████████████       
      ██████████████     
     ████████████████     
    ██████████████████   
   ████████████████████   
  ██████████▀▀██████████ 
 ███▀▄████▀    ▀████▄▀███
██▀ ▄██▀▀        ▀▀██▄ ▀██

░▄███████████▄░░░▄███████████▄░░▄███▄░░░░░░▄███▄░░▄██████████▄░░░████████████████░░░░██████████░░░░███████████████░░█████████████████
█████░░░░░░░███░████▀░░░░░▀████░█████▄░░░░▄█████░███▀░░░░░░▀███░███░░░░████░░░███░░███░░░░░░░░██░░███░░░░░░░░░░░███░███████░░░░██████
█████░░░░░░░███░████░░░░░░░████░▀█████▄░░▄█████▀░███░░░░░░░░███░███░░░░████░░███░░░███░░░██░░░███░███░░░██████░░███░░░░░███░░░░██░░░░
█████░░░░░░░░░░░████░░░░░░░████░░▀█████░░█████▀░░███░░░░░░░░███░███░░░░███░░░███░░░███░░████░░███░███░░░██████░░███░░░░░███░░░░██░░░░
█████░░░░░░░░░░░████░░░░░░█████░░░▀████▄▄████▀░░░███▄░░░░░░▄███░███░░░░███░░███░░░░██░░░████░░███░███░░░░░░░░░░███▀░░░░░███░░░░██░░░░
█████░░░░░░░░░░░██████████████░░░░░▀████████▀░░░░████████████▀░░███░░░░░░░░░███░░░███░░░████░░░██░███░░░█████████░░░░░░░███░░░░██░░░░
█████░░░░░░░███░████░░░░░░░████▄░░░░████████░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░███░░░░███░░░███░░██░░░░░░░░░░░██░███░░░░░░░░░░███▄░░░░░███░░░░██░░░░
█████░░░░░░░███░████░░░░░░░█████░░░░████████░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░███░░░░████░░░███░██░░░░████░░░░█░███░░░█████▄░░███░░░░░███░░░░██░░░░
███████████████░████░░░░░░░█████░░░░████████░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░███░░░░████░░░░██░██░░░██████░░░█░███░░░██████░░███░░░░░███░░░░██░░░░
░▀███████████▀░░░███░░░░░░░████░░░░░░██████░░░░░░░██████░░░░░░░░░████████████████░███████████████░░███████████████░░░░░░█████████░░░░
|
▂▃▅ Quick buy and sell bitcoins online. Fast and secure ▅▃▂
Facebook】【Twitter】【Telegram】【Medium】【Instagram
|
Miracal

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 03:38:24 PM

No! Impossible! Ripple is centralized and controlled by ripple lab, whose concept is different from bitcoin! Its gateway is based on trust! If it runs away, the users, who save money on the gateway, will lose all the money!
Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 03:46:45 PM

It can not be the new bitcoin, and it never intended to be. Anyway, banks are like it, so I expect it to slowly gain traction as a money transfer method and go up in value. (But I wouldn't expect such sky-rocketing what we seen from BTC in 2013.)
MinerHQ
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1023

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 03:48:29 PM

its just not bitcoin, its some other random thing not associated much really.
hypostatization

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 06:26:05 PM

I don't think so.
I don't think it will be as successful as bitcoin if its supply keep increasing rapidly.

100,000,000,000 XRP were created at the outset of the network, by its founders, and portion of those were gifted to Ripple Labs. Here is an explanation of why that total specific number of XRP units was chosen. No new XRP can ever be created, and the total supply constantly decreases---as small portion of XRP are destroyed with every transaction.

Many have been confused on this topic, due to how Ripple is represented on sites like coinmarketcap.com. Available supply has increased over time, as Ripple Labs continues to distribute its XRP holdings, but total supply has only ever decreased. Calculating market capitalization according to available supply of XRP is in some ways similar to calculating Bitcoin market cap according to mined Bitcoins, as opposed to the total number that will ever be mined. Initially, coinmarketcap.com calculated XRP market cap according to total supply and received criticism that the number was misleading, since it did not represent the total number of XRP potentially available at market.

xrptalk.org :: setup a wallet + trade all currencies :: gateway reviews @ coinist.co :: deposit to buy xrp @ snapswap [now supporting PayPal withdrawls + instant ACH transfer deposits]
CrossCoin Ventures startup accelerator - offering XRP funding up to $50,000 USD equivalent
spartak_t
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1176

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2015, 08:37:30 PM

Frankly speaking, I was expecting Ripple to break $1B market cap when it was at it's peak, but I'm now quite sure that it will do it. Ripple is not like a coin with billions in supply so don't make the mistake to compare it with DOGE or such. Smiley We are talking about something different here. I believe that people involved in it know what they are doing (despite that I don't even bothered to research it... I was only following the market).

hypostatization

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 09:24:47 PM

Frankly speaking, I was expecting Ripple to break $1B market cap when it was at it's peak, but I'm now quite sure that it will do it. Ripple is not like a coin with billions in supply so don't make the mistake to compare it with DOGE or such. Smiley We are talking about something different here. I believe that people involved in it know what they are doing (despite that I don't even bothered to research it... I was only following the market).

Anyone wanting a deeper dive should check out xrptalk.org. Ripple has an incredibly knowledgeable and friendly community, with a lot of diverse perspectives on both cryptocurrency and the general industry. A few Ripple Labs team members post regularly, with contributions spanning both technical and general topics. Exciting time to get involved  Smiley

xrptalk.org :: setup a wallet + trade all currencies :: gateway reviews @ coinist.co :: deposit to buy xrp @ snapswap [now supporting PayPal withdrawls + instant ACH transfer deposits]
CrossCoin Ventures startup accelerator - offering XRP funding up to $50,000 USD equivalent
Sonny91BE

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 30, 2015, 08:30:55 AM

I'm not really into Ripple anymore to be fully honest. A lot of the trustability has gone over the last year and the supply keeps increasing and they keep trying to keep there momentum up but as you notice keep failing at it too .. I personally keep out of ripple and just got my stakes in BTC mainly and NXT too. My 2 bets I hold on !
ðºÞæ

Activity: 1176
Merit: 297

Bitcoin © Maximalist

View Profile
April 30, 2015, 11:46:59 AM

I don't think so.

100,000,000,000 XRP were created at the outset of the network, by its founders, and portion of those were gifted to Ripple Labs. Here is an explanation of why that total specific number of XRP units was chosen. No new XRP can ever be created, and the total supply constantly decreases---as small portion of XRP are destroyed with every transaction.

Many have been confused on this topic, due to how Ripple is represented on sites like coinmarketcap.com. Available supply has increased over time, as Ripple Labs continues to distribute its XRP holdings, but total supply has only ever decreased. Calculating market capitalization according to available supply of XRP is in some ways similar to calculating Bitcoin market cap according to mined Bitcoins, as opposed to the total number that will ever be mined. Initially, coinmarketcap.com calculated XRP market cap according to total supply and received criticism that the number was misleading, since it did not represent the total number of XRP potentially available at market.

lol, its giving it away for free to banks by the millions with a clause that they can not dump instantly in an exchange to publicly state that they will support it. suckers can buy them at an hyper-inflated price. this clause also completely warps the "available" supply and fight over a very small amount of coins nowhere near the stated available supply on coinmarketcap. in endeffect the have the same power as a bank it the close shop your done.
technicaly it should not be listed on cmc, but he they are just another receiver of free gifted coins, eager to dispose of.
there is no reason to go up in value as the coin is not really needed by ripple laps.
no xrp is needed to go from fiat to bitcoin to frequent flyer points or to whatever else.
bitcoin needs miners, ripple needs fish to bite the fishers o so tasty worm.

"The existing Visa credit card network processes about 15 million Internet purchases per day worldwide. Bitcoin can already scale much larger than that with existing hardware for a fraction of the cost. It never really hits a scale ceiling."  Satoshi Nakamoto, April 2009          Avoiding taxes is totally legal if you consider and respect the law.
tyz
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1533

View Profile
April 30, 2015, 12:52:48 PM

Ripple is one of the most present Alts in media and news. That is a big advantage. Further it has some wellknown venture capitalists on board which have good connections into old economy. It is definetely ahead compared to the most coins.
btcbug

Activity: 399

View Profile
April 30, 2015, 01:39:15 PM

I couldn't wrap my head around Ripple (didn't try too hard either), but more recently I was thinking about it. I've come to the conclusion that it's sort of a hedge to my bet on Bitcoin in way. They both compliment each other actually and Ripple adoption will add a ton of value to Bitcoin, but considering that Ripple is not quite as much of a threat to banks, I can see it being adopted by mainstream finance more easily. Let's face it, the Blockchain is out of the bag and things will definitely change, but there is more than one path things can go. Ripple seems like a slightly less threatening system for banks because it allows them to transition more smoothly. What I mean is that Ripple allows for the transfer of fiat, gold, btc, etc. Following my thinking, yes I believe Ripple will go up in value MUCH more.

This is a good article on understanding Ripple I found:

http://www.coindesk.com/ripple-medieval-banking-digital-twist/

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=211068.0
hypostatization

View Profile
April 30, 2015, 03:12:40 PM
Last edit: April 30, 2015, 04:44:57 PM by hypostatization

lol, its giving it away for free to banks by the millions with a clause that they can not dump instantly in an exchange to publicly state that they will support it. suckers can buy them at an hyper-inflated price. this clause also completely warps the "available" supply and fight over a very small amount of coins nowhere near the stated available supply on coinmarketcap. in endeffect the have the same power as a bank it the close shop your done.
technicaly it should not be listed on cmc, but he they are just another receiver of free gifted coins, eager to dispose of.
there is no reason to go up in value as the coin is not really needed by ripple laps.
no xrp is needed to go from fiat to bitcoin to frequent flyer points or to whatever else.
bitcoin needs miners, ripple needs fish to bite the fishers o so tasty worm.

I am not advocating investment in XRP, nor suggesting any certainty exists XRP will rise in value. I am hoping to help inform.

Ripple has a lot of potential that is overlooked, due to widespread misunderstanding. It damages the community to ignore Ripple in its entirety---when other systems may be able to benefit from its core tech and concepts. If anyone finds Ripple Labs or Ripple implementation specific details troublesome, then they are free to improve upon its ideas and technology in alignment with their own values. Fork the github repo.

Here is information that may help others understand the bridge-currency role of XRP:

XRP is also used to prevent transaction spam. It accomplishes this by way of a requirement that all transactions include a small fee. Individual Validator load is used to dynamically adjust that fee. If a user attempts to crash the network by sending millions of transactions, the cost becomes prohibitive. Neither Validators nor Ripple Labs receive the fee; the associated XRP are destroyed. Many use postage stamps as an analogy.

In addition, XRP is used to prevent ledger bloat. Entries to the ledger require a specific number of XRP. If the entry is removed from the ledger, then the XRP are returned to the user. An end result is that ledger bloat attacks on the network---say an actor attempting to flood an order book with millions of bids or forming millions of trust lines---also quickly becomes cost prohibitive.

In line with the last 2 points, XRP provides a vital security function for the network.

It may surprise you that financial institutions are generally not interested in holding XRP. Instead, they are attracted to Ripple for the core functionality it provides for solving existing problems, and those problems have nothing to do with XRP. International transfers are the current leading use case.

My opinion is that building something of lasting value on the Ripple network is the best Ripple investment anyone could make, as opposed to speculative currency investment---and I believe that is true of all cryptocurrencies. CrossCoin Ventures startup accelerator offers up to $50,000 equivalent of XRP value for funding, and has no requirement that focus be Ripple exclusive. LibraTax is a solid example.

RippleWorks has also now launched, as of last week, with $60 million in funding to help facilitate social change.

evi_stale

Activity: 224

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 04:40:34 PM

I'm not really into Ripple anymore to be fully honest. A lot of the trustability has gone over the last year and the supply keeps increasing and they keep trying to keep there momentum up but as you notice keep failing at it too .. I personally keep out of ripple and just got my stakes in BTC mainly and NXT too. My 2 bets I hold on !

Did you consider Nem (Xem) New Economy Movement which is an improved version of NXT?
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=654845.new#new
muddafudda
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1022

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 04:41:35 PM

It doesn't rhyme with cripple for no reason.
hypostatization

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 05:09:02 PM

It doesn't rhyme with cripple for no reason.

Clue us in! Is it Its spelling?

rokkyroad
Legendary

Activity: 1090

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 05:17:01 PM

Did you consider Nem (Xem) New Economy Movement which is an improved version of NXT?
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=654845.new#new

Must you really spam every thread with your NEM bullshit? I don't go to nem threads shilling my bags. My advice to readers is avoid this shit like the plague.

" If you have to spam and shout to justify your existence then you are a shit coin."  TaunSew
photon_coin

Activity: 310
Merit: 256

Photon --- The First Child Of Blake Coin --Merged

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2015, 09:46:49 PM

ripple is a 100% premined scam started by the same person who started mt gox

my personal belief is it is a scam

tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3990
Merit: 1426

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
May 09, 2015, 11:19:08 PM

Ripple as a 'protocol' is gone.  Sell.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████