Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 04:57:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The pirate ponzi fiasco  (Read 10160 times)
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2012, 08:16:56 AM

Internet detectives shouldn't be required.

Indeed. Probably the IRS and other 3 letters agencies would love to hear about this story and would work for free exacting revenge.

Not free. The cost might be higher than you can imagine.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 08:28:03 AM

Indeed. Probably the IRS and other 3 letters agencies would love to hear about this story and would work for free exacting revenge.

It's always kind of amazed me that people mostly ignore the possibility of getting caught up in a money laundering or tax evasion investigation when they invest in some of Bitcoin's more sketchy enterprises.  Losing money isn't the only thing they're risking.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1520

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2012, 08:23:08 PM

It sounds like Pirate's plan was to take victims' Bitcoin and use it for higher than market-rate payouts at GPUMAX.  In return, he got coins which could not necessarily/easily be traced to him.  He planned to make up the difference by manipulating/playing the currency conversion market.  He planned to be a net seller on highs and then buy up more than he sold for less in USD after he crashed the exchange rate.  Unfortunately for Pirate, the market didn't go his way.  Either it outgrew his influence or people wised up, or he played it poorly and his scheme was up.  He found he wasn't able to swing the market enough to buy back the amount of Bitcoin necessary to pay his returns and has now defaulted.

It's likely they he probably has a bunch of "clean" coins from GPUMAX mining that he's hiding as well, but it's definitely not enough to pay everyone back.  What remains to be seen is what will happen with GPUMAX now that BTCST has collapsed.  I suspect either payouts will 1) drop to below market as Pirate attempts to pay BTCST victims 2) drop to a non-inflated rate now that there's nothing coming into BTCST or 3) it will collapse completely.

Anyway, that's is my theory.

sounds logical!

dishwara
Legendary

Activity: 1855
Merit: 1016

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 09:17:09 AM

It's always kind of amazed me that people mostly ignore the possibility of getting caught up in a money laundering or tax evasion investigation when they invest in some of Bitcoin's more sketchy enterprises.  Losing money isn't the only thing they're risking.
Its the uniqueness of Bitcoin network.
Both Bitcoin & forum members helps to nail scammers in head.
repentance

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 09:18:42 AM

Its the power of Bitcoin network.

Tell us one scammer who has been nailed so far.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
dishwara
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 09:22:53 AM

Tell one scammer who hasn't nailed so far using Bitcoin.
They get caught before they can run away. That is what important than any other thing.
It makes money can be recovered by all legal & other ways.
repentance

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 10:00:07 AM

They get caught before they can run away. That is what important than any other thing.

Tom Williams.  Andre Jensen.

dishwara
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 10:27:07 AM

Maybe, still Bitcoin scammers cant scam that easily.

Tom williams case is called theft.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2012, 03:20:16 PM

I'm going to have to refresh my memory about Andre Jesen, because I read something yesterday where that name came up, but I skimmed over it not thinking of its relevance.

It sounds like Pirate's plan was to take victims' Bitcoin and use it for higher than market-rate payouts at GPUMAX.  In return, he got coins which could not necessarily/easily be traced to him.  He planned to make up the difference by manipulating/playing the currency conversion market.  He planned to be a net seller on highs and then buy up more than he sold for less in USD after he crashed the exchange rate.  Unfortunately for Pirate, the market didn't go his way.  Either it outgrew his influence or people wised up, or he played it poorly and his scheme was up.  He found he wasn't able to swing the market enough to buy back the amount of Bitcoin necessary to pay his returns and has now defaulted.

Possibly, but at some point during all this, a while back I say, he was already planning on making his epic asea run. About a month prior to Defcon, he posted that you can meet him eye-to-eye, but afterwards there's yet to be anybody who claimed to have seen him. Soon after Defcon was over, parrot shit started hitting the fan.

~Bruno~
ErebusBat

Activity: 560

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 05:56:54 PM

I'm going to have to refresh my memory about Andre Jesen, because I read something yesterday where that name came up, but I skimmed over it not thinking of its relevance.

It sounds like Pirate's plan was to take victims' Bitcoin and use it for higher than market-rate payouts at GPUMAX.  In return, he got coins which could not necessarily/easily be traced to him.  He planned to make up the difference by manipulating/playing the currency conversion market.  He planned to be a net seller on highs and then buy up more than he sold for less in USD after he crashed the exchange rate.  Unfortunately for Pirate, the market didn't go his way.  Either it outgrew his influence or people wised up, or he played it poorly and his scheme was up.  He found he wasn't able to swing the market enough to buy back the amount of Bitcoin necessary to pay his returns and has now defaulted.

Possibly, but at some point during all this, a while back I say, he was already planning on making his epic asea run. About a month prior to Defcon, he posted that you can meet him eye-to-eye, but afterwards there's yet to be anybody who claimed to have seen him. Soon after Defcon was over, parrot shit started hitting the fan.

~Bruno~

There were several people who met with him in Vegas: giga,goat,burtw,copumkin,reeses. Just to name a few

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
bitlane
Internet detective

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

I heart thebaron

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 06:20:38 PM

Do you think that, since they were in Vegas, that Elvis might have been a 'secret' Investor ?

Phinn, is there any connection between Trendon and Elvis ?

ErebusBat

Activity: 560

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 07:00:25 PM

You just said that no one said they saw pirate in vegas... I was giving you examples of people who did.  I don't know about Elvis.

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
repentance

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 03:07:18 AM

~Bruno~

There were several people who met with him in Vegas: giga,goat,burtw,copumkin,reeses. Just to name a few

Phin, are you suggesting that Goat photoshopped the picture of the Vegas meet-up, because the person in that photo is definitely the person whose image is used on Trendon Shavers' social media and there's enough old images of him online to establish that he's the real life Trendon Shavers rather than a made up or hijacked identity.  Plenty of people operate scams under their true identities.

He operated World Bitcoin Exchange.  He didn't pay people back and dooglus is stuck holding a few remaining Bitcoins which he can't distribute because he has neither the authority nor accurate information to be able to give users a small payout from the only assets not under Andre's control.  Since walking away from WBE, Andre has opened a security business which he hypes as much as he hyped WBE (and High Net Worth Property before that). 

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  

Jump to: