Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 07:52:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why the hell should we care about women in bitcoin space?  (Read 4322 times)
rokkyroad
Legendary

Activity: 1090
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 10:58:09 PM

Women are among the biggest group of spenders and potentially the one that would accept bitcoin and bring it to mainstream adoption. Too bad bitcoin has not yet been really successfully in the retail section. Imagine swiping the phone to pay for the designer clothes and you are good on the go.

This guy hit the nail on the head.

Women love to shop and spend money. Get btc into retail and women will be the biggest btc spenders by far. Guaranteed.

" If you have to spam and shout to justify your existence then you are a shit coin."  TaunSew
chmod755
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1020

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2015, 11:00:39 PM

It's absolutely hilarious how people can claim to be well-meaning and try to bring women "into Bitcoin" by saying that women only care about shopping or "For most women it needs to be easy with a well-known company behind it."

Most women currently don't care much about new technologies. That's not an opinion - I'm just stating a fact.

There are a few exceptions and I'm glad that they exist. The world would be boring if everyone liked the same things.

TCM

Activity: 251
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 11:10:42 PM

I just find the logic in this flawed - acknowledging on the one hand that women have different interests and then trying to use that difference to achieve equality "in Bitcoin".

Just stop looking at the damn numbers. It doesn't matter how many percent of Bitcoin users are women. Stop bringing up the gender at all and treat everyone who has an interest in Bitcoin equally. Part of the problem is treating women specially and putting them in the spotlight.

Noone gives a crap about the gender distribution among kindergarten workers, why Bitcoin?
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 11:15:25 PM

It's absolutely hilarious how people can claim to be well-meaning and try to bring women "into Bitcoin" by saying that women only care about shopping or "For most women it needs to be easy with a well-known company behind it." and generally treating them like little shopping addicts who can't help it.

The idiocy is staggering.

I doubt anyone is insinuating all women exhibit those characteristics.
Before calling people idiots and trying to act overly PC, lets look at the facts. Lets face reality, women and men are indeed different and in mature economies women control most of the spending within a household:

"For example, women in the US control 73% of household spending :"
http://www.marketingcharts.com/traditional/women-in-mature-economies-control-household-spending-12931/

"Women make the decision in the purchases of 94% of home furnishings…92% of vacations…91% of homes… 60% of automobiles…51% of consumer electronics"
https://hbr.org/2009/09/the-female-economy

Women control the majority of purchasing decisions in a household and their influence is growing.
http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/news/2011/when-it-comes-to-spending-decisions-women-are-in-control.html

Women account for 85% of all consumer purchases including everything from autos to health care:
91% of New Homes
66% PCs
92% Vacations
80% Healthcare
65% New Cars
89% Bank Accounts
93% Food
93 % OTC PharmaceuticalsAmerican women spend about $5 trillion annually…
Over half the U.S. GDP

http://she-conomy.com/facts-on-women

http://www.catalyst.org/knowledge/buying-power

chmod755
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1020

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2015, 11:17:43 PM

I just find the logic in this flawed - acknowledging on the one hand that women have different interests and then trying to use that difference to achieve equality "in Bitcoin".

I'm not trying to "achieve equality in Bitcoin". I just want Bitcoin to be widely used. Most people on this planet are female. That's it.

inBitweTrust

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 11:20:13 PM

Noone gives a crap about the gender distribution among kindergarten workers, why Bitcoin?

Because Bitcoin represents something much more fundemental to the world and the economy than a specific job occupation.

We don't need to give special attention to women , but it does help to know, understand, and empathize with our different target audiences when discussing bitcoin whether they are a 70 year old vietnam vet male goldbug or a 29 year old black lesbian. Completely different audiences and bitcoin has something to offer both of them.  

TCM

Activity: 251

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 11:24:48 PM

[spending power of women]

You make an excellent point: Women have different interests. Why should we need to use those interests to achieve an equal number of male and female Bitcoin users? Don't you see the contradiction in that argument?

Again: stop looking at the numbers and treat everyone equally and those with an interest will feel welcome.

Increasing Bitcoin acceptance in general is definitely needed. But that's got nothing to do with women anymore which was kinda... the topic of this thread and of the replies that focused on getting specifically women to be "into Bitcoin" more. And I think the OP was more about women as developers and entrepeneurs of Bitcoin-related businesses and not just mere users who couldn't care less about what actual currency they're using.
moni3z

Activity: 899
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 11:26:09 PM

In Canada here I frequently used to see women lining up at Bitcoin ATM machines, they just aren't running around broadcasting to their world that they use it. Recently though these machines put up a ton of barriers to simply walking up and selling/buying so don't see as many people as i used to using them, I also don't use them myself anymore because of too many bugs, plenty of times I've dumped money in and received nothing in return or was asked to phone some non attended number for "further identity verification" for even small payments like $200.

People judge bitcoin by the amount of shysters in the media shilling their "disruptive startup" but on the user front it's a different story.
croTek4

Activity: 392

the Cat-a-clysm.

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 11:26:15 PM

This may have been stated already, but no one is excluding females from this new technology. I believe I share the same desire as many of you to get as many people involved in the bitcoin as possible. In order to do that, acquisition and spendability, if that is a word, need to be simplified. Not just for women but for main stream adoption. I know plenty of people, men and women, who are completely stupid when it comes to anything technical.

Catether is an open source mineable ERC20 Token, powered by Cates.
Xenoph0bia

Activity: 966

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 11:27:06 PM

As women are mainly dependent on Credit Cards it's really difficult to convince them to go for Bitcoins. And as Bitcoins need Investment at initial stage women won't agree to it. Problems with women is they want all for the cheap and in return they don't want to sacrifice anything.
inBitweTrust

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 11:40:35 PM

You make an excellent point: Women have different interests. Why should we need to use those interests to achieve an equal number of male and female Bitcoin users? Don't you see the contradiction in that argument?

Bitcoin represents a powerful technology that can benefit both male and female interests(but not xxy/xxyy mosaics as they are too freaky and will leave you lonely and begging for more... they don't deserve bitcoin  Angry ). All I am suggesting is that it will be great for us to understand these differences and develop solutions to benefit both males and females. I am under no delusion that we can attain a 50/50 ratio or should even attempt it at this stage.

Again: stop looking at the numbers and treat everyone equally and those with an interest will feel welcome.

Everyone should not be treated equally... but differently. I have never claimed preferential treatment to women, in fact I have explicitly claimed otherwise.

Problems with women is they want all for the cheap and in return they don't want to sacrifice anything.

Both a sexist statement that also has a lot of truth behind it. For good or bad reasons women are more risk averse.

ccbitcoin316

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 11:43:59 PM

Here is at least one woman's take on the issue...
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/0d52ab06-ef41-11e4-a6d2-00144feab7de.html#axzz3Yvuh1GyZ
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2015, 12:03:40 AM

Walled.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
lumleyunit

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 12:37:09 AM

most of them are gold diggers which will positively affect the bitcoin price once the care bears hand it over to them on a silver platter so... their greed helps me in a way
PolarPoint

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 12:48:56 AM

The percentage of women interested in bitcoin is a measurement of how appealing bitcoin is to the less tech savvy and conservative population. I think there are more women interested in bitcoin than we know. I have met women who has bitcoin and don't often talk about it.
not altcoin hitler

Activity: 212
Merit: 22

Amazix

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 12:49:05 AM

I am tired and annoyed of reading articles telling there is no women in bitcoin space..

Why are people writing articles like this?

if women are busy watching tv  let them watch..

Are we all feminist?  

Those who have what it takes to be involved in bitcoin, do get involved like Blyth masters, and do we complain about that?

are women going to solve the blocksize debate?

are they going to take bitcoin mainstream?

why the hell should we care about women in bitcoin space?

We need to care about men in bitcoin space because that's the creatures that get things done.  Cheesy

No, seriously. Don't let your mind be fucked by the feminist vermin. Women who want to be involved and have what it takes are already here. Nobody is ever going to complain about them.

What these feminist marxists are asking for are handouts and freebies because they are disabled and feel inferior which is none of our problem. Do not let them get a foot in the door because if they do that will mean being gay is mandatory and men will be handicapped in the name of feminism. Let Obama care for these single moms.

Why the hell should we care about gender in bitcoin?

We shouldn't.

Feminism is on ignore. Feminists have time and time again shown, they are neurotic bunch of nazis.

pitham1
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 02:55:17 AM

The percentage of women interested in bitcoin is a measurement of how appealing bitcoin is to the less tech savvy and conservative population.

More stereotyping, but you are probably right.  Grin
We definitely need more women on board to increase Bitcoin adoption.

person

Activity: 315

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2015, 03:51:28 AM

The percentage of women interested in bitcoin is a measurement of how appealing bitcoin is to the less tech savvy and conservative population.

More stereotyping, but you are probably right.  Grin
We definitely need more women on board to increase Bitcoin adoption.

Any known projects integrating bitcoin with Pinterest?
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 02:54:04 PM

I am tired and annoyed of reading articles telling there is no women in bitcoin space..

Why are people writing articles like this?

if women are busy watching tv  let them watch..

Are we all feminist? 

Those who have what it takes to be involved in bitcoin, do get involved like Blyth masters, and do we complain about that?

are women going to solve the blocksize debate?

are they going to take bitcoin mainstream?

why the hell should we care about women in bitcoin space?

Because we don't want having fame of BTC being a nerd man-only thing. If we want mass adoption, in other words success, we need to get women into it too. Women are a biggest % of world's population after all.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2015, 11:46:11 PM

#Bitcoin isn't limited to men only?! So I didn't need to pose with a shoe on my genitals every time I acquired BTC?!

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: