Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 05:43:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Play of the Century  (Read 1911 times)
jyakulis (OP)

Activity: 468
Merit: 250

J

View Profile
April 30, 2015, 06:25:17 PM

So, I'm thinking how can this sham economy keep trucking.

Then I opened up the 5 year dollar index. If this isn't a bubble I don't know what is!

http://quotes.ino.com/chart/index.html?s=NYBOT_DX&t=&a=&w=&v=dmax

What do you guys think the best bet against the dollar is if you don't want to do forex type stuff?

I see there is a triple short etf

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=udnt&fr=uh3_finance_web&uhb=uhb2

I'm wondering if it'd be a good play or not. Then I was talking to guys at work and they are like you are going to get payed back in dollars though lol.

bitcoin address: 35CezzikPXjx4QmTgpeU3ByQ42s8mVcbaF
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
2dogs
Legendary

Activity: 1267
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 10:17:41 AM

Go for it! Wink

There is always the counterparty risk, though.

If you win big on this trade of the century, are you guaranteed to get paid?
sdmathis

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

AKA The Rubber Monkey

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 01:29:27 PM

Then I opened up the 5 year dollar index. If this isn't a bubble I don't know what is!

What do you guys think the best bet against the dollar is if you don't want to do forex type stuff?

I'm wondering if it'd be a good play or not. Then I was talking to guys at work and they are like you are going to get payed back in dollars though lol.

When betting against the dollar, some type of tangible asset is usually best. Most people choose gold.

chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 02:32:02 PM

Dollar is inflation. Holding it for the long term is losing value. So ppl are looking to alternative to store value, such as gold.Hopefully bitcoin will coexist with gold, as another important investment tool or way of storing value. Bitcoin, its inherent deflation quality, could become the play of this century.

umair01

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 03:05:26 PM

Exchanging them and holding longer as an altcoin as opposed to the dollar,that would stand to to get more gains,since it s decentralized and volatile you have chances of doubling or even tripling,thereby gaining more value
BTCevo
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1008

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 09:58:51 AM

Exchanging them and holding longer as an altcoin as opposed to the dollar,that would stand to to get more gains,since it s decentralized and volatile you have chances of doubling or even tripling,thereby gaining more value

Exchanging is good but holding altcoin for too long I dont think that will be a good option because altcoin is somewhat like blur. Better for us to keep bitcoin because its like our main currency in this digital world
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2015, 10:52:59 AM

The key is to just diversify. You will never be certain when it will collapse or will it even collapse in the first place, so you just have to play safe. Also, you can't just tied up all your money so you will need to consider your options. I still think commodities and investing in foreign mutual stock is a good bet. Another one is definitely gold.

peeveepee

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 01:26:22 PM

You can lose big even if you are right. If the central bank raise the interest by 3-4%, how long can you hold?
Leina

Activity: 152

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 09:41:10 AM

Buy gold and short btc.
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 04:34:33 PM

I have learned the lesson to not hold any altcoin as soon as I get like 10% profits. Only a few alts are worth having in your portfolio long term. My current ones for that are MAID, STORJ and XMR.
mrhelpful
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 05:19:34 PM

Buy gold and short btc.

You should always hold on what most majority holds, before doing anything its a safe rule of thumb to follow.

As for btc, since most people are still holding onto it global level I`d still hold, but short if you feel like the direction of bitcoin is going nowhere fast. Then do 90% and leave 10% in bitcoin.

Bitcoin has been struggling which way it wants to go, or just consider nothing but illegal stuff.
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 07:34:56 PM

I agree that the dollar is over-valued, but a triple short seems a bit drastic to me too!
Things are teetering at the moment, the US might feel obliged to raise interest rates, but I doubt they will be able to keep the rate up for long without suffering badly.

As soon as they raise the rates, I would short the dollar, it might well be that they bottle it and don't do it, but if they are stupid enough to, then pile in!
bojan92

Activity: 168

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 04:53:33 PM

the forex is really though place to do business if you are losing money and you keep the things you have you will loose money every additional day you keep them. Try and play for a bit. it has a lot of ups and downs, the prices are changing in a matter of seconds. You can eat or be eaten Wink
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 05:06:32 PM

Dollar index is dollar priced in a basket of other currencies. All it means when it goes up is that it is experiencing less inflation than the other currencies.  Unless you expect the Euro and Yen to suddenly start being stronger (good luck with that), I wouldn't short the dollar.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
maku
Legendary

Activity: 1288

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 05:41:49 PM

Dollar index is dollar priced in a basket of other currencies. All it means when it goes up is that it is experiencing less inflation than the other currencies.  Unless you expect the Euro and Yen to suddenly start being stronger (good luck with that), I wouldn't short the dollar.
Every FIAT based index and comparison one FIAT currency to another is more like a fantasy index than any real indicator.
Every number is fake and FIAT system could crumble any minute by is fixed artificially by government and financial insituions.
So yes, It is a play of the Century.
inca
Legendary

Activity: 1176

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 05:43:43 PM

Buy gold and short btc.

Not going too well..
BitProdigy

Activity: 322
Merit: 114

We Are The New Wealthy Elite, Gentlemen

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 06:17:53 PM

Obviously the play of the century is to buy bitcoin. The dollar bubble is going to pop, and when it does precious metals and bitcoin is going to skyrocket, but in the long run I like bitcoin over precious metals and right now bitcoin is selling at an unbelievably bargain rate. Imagine being able to buy gold at these bitcoin prices, and bitcoin is better than gold!!
Alley
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 06:25:05 PM

Another global recession is right around the corner.  Dominos have already started to fall.  Greece, china, etc...
HarHarHar9965

Activity: 994

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 06:39:32 PM

Obviously the play of the century is to buy bitcoin. The dollar bubble is going to pop, and when it does precious metals and bitcoin is going to skyrocket, but in the long run I like bitcoin over precious metals and right now bitcoin is selling at an unbelievably bargain rate. Imagine being able to buy gold at these bitcoin prices, and bitcoin is better than gold!!

Even if the dollar pops up, you think they don't have choices and options? You think they haven't figured out a solution if there was supposed to be such a debate? The government's too smart to fall for it. Also, if bitcoin starts to compete with the US dollar, you think other countries will stand strong unaffected? The only way a cryptocurrency can even be considered to exist is if fiat and cryptocurrency co-exist and used daily. Dollar won't go down and vanish in thin air just like that.
BitProdigy

Activity: 322
Merit: 114

We Are The New Wealthy Elite, Gentlemen

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 07:49:03 PM

Even if the dollar pops up, you think they don't have choices and options? You think they haven't figured out a solution if there was supposed to be such a debate? The government's too smart to fall for it. Also, if bitcoin starts to compete with the US dollar, you think other countries will stand strong unaffected? The only way a cryptocurrency can even be considered to exist is if fiat and cryptocurrency co-exist and used daily. Dollar won't go down and vanish in thin air just like that.

The International Money Fund will probably step in to bailout the dollar or introduce a new international currency sure, but that master plan for world domination by the banks only pans out in a world that didn't event decentralized consensus networks so that public purely peer-to-peer currencies such as bitcoin are competition. It is only a matter of time before bitcoin and other crypto currencies are the main money used on the planet.

Cryptocurrency is not dependent on fiat money in any way. I don't know what you are talking about when you say crypto currency can only be considered to exist if it coexists with fiat. Crytpocurrency can easily exist independent of fiat.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: