Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 12:08:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bake Me a Cake—or Else  (Read 2512 times)
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 09:54:53 PM

In January 2013, Rachel Cryer and her mother walked into Sweet Cakes By Melissa, a bakery in Gresham, Oregon, and tried to order a wedding cake. Aaron Klein, the co-owner (and Melissa’s husband), was informed Cryer would be marrying another woman. He apologized and told them that providing a cake for a same-sex wedding violated his Christian convictions. Cryer walked out of the store.

In a suburb adjacent to Portland, one of the most progressive cities in America, Sweet Cakes By Melissa was living on borrowed time once the incident became public. (The city is so famously tolerant that Sam Adams, the first openly gay mayor of a major city, survived two recall attempts after it was revealed that he had lied about having a relationship with an underage teenage boy. His supporters initially smeared those making the accusations as homophobic.) Protests started outside the bakery soon after, and by September 2013 Sweet Cakes had closed its doors.

You might think that once Sweet Cakes By Melissa had been driven out of business, the good citizens offended by the Kleins’ beliefs would have called it a day. But the totalitarianism of America’s liberal culture warriors is a thing to behold.

On April 24, 2015, more than a year and a half after the bakery was shuttered, Alan McCullough, an administrative law judge for Oregon’s Bureau of Labor and Industries, ordered the Kleins to pay $135,000 in fines for violating the state’s public accommodation laws. It is impossible to see this award as anything but excessively punitive. A few years back, a New Mexico wedding photographer was penalized by that state for refusing to work at a same-sex commitment ceremony. The fine in that case was $6,637.

McCullough arrived at his determination by citing a laundry list of damages asserted by Cryer and her partner. Since this was an administrative decision, there was no requirement the women prove their claims. And so they piled them on: “felt mentally raped, dirty and shameful” and “pale and sick at home after work,” suffered “shock,” “surprise,” and “uncertainty.” Some are contradictory: both “loss of appetite” and “weight gain.” The judge was apparently moved.

The Kleins have five children to take care of, and their income has dropped precipitously since their business closed. Aaron now works as a garbage collector. They say the fine could bankrupt them. So shortly after the decision was handed down, supporters started taking up a collection on the popular GoFundMe website. In just a few hours, donors had contributed $109,000 to the Kleins. Then GoFundMe, under pressure from critics of the Kleins, shut down the fundraiser. The rationale? The website has a policy of refusing fundraisers “in defense of formal charges of heinous crimes, including violent, hateful, or sexual acts.”

Behind the organized campaign to pressure GoFundMe was Lisa Watson, the owner of Cupcake Jones in downtown Portland. (Cupcake Jones also provides wedding cakes and was presumably a competitor of Sweet Cakes By Melissa.) “This business has been found GUILTY OF DISCRIMINATION and is being allowed to fundraise to pay their penalty. .  .  . The amount of money they have raised in a matter of a few hours by thousands of anonymous cowards is disgusting,” Watson wrote on her Facebook page.

The First Amendment issues surrounding compelled participation in a same-sex marriage celebration are far from settled, and it’s absurd to think the Kleins are guilty of a “heinous crime.” Even Andrew Sullivan, the writer perhaps most responsible for making gay marriage a legal reality, has spoken out against such inquisitions: “If you find someone who’s genuinely conflicted about doing something for your wedding, let them be. Find someone else.”

But ironically, pleas for tolerance are not carrying the day, either in Portland or in the gay community. On April 25, Cupcake Jones was given an award for LGBT activism by Basic Rights Oregon. Prominent gay activist and radio host Michelangelo Signorile has a new book out in which he declares, “It’s time for us to be intolerant—intolerant of all forms of .  .  . bigotry against LBGT people.”

C. S. Lewis once warned that a tyranny of “omnipotent moral busybodies” would be the worst tyranny of all, for “those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end .  .  . with the approval of their own conscience.” The Klein family’s Jacobin persecutors are intent on stamping out a Christian morality they believe to be rigid and punitive. By inflicting inordinate material harm and insisting on a total capitulation of conscience, they only reveal their own pernicious and pitiless ambitions.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/bake-me-cake-or-else_935066.html

Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 11:36:26 PM

Yeah, ya just came make stuff like this up. The liberal intolerants just play super dirty and the lesbian couple was vindictive and lying as much as they could to stick it to this cake baker because of their beliefs. Yet if I'm in business, I'm certainly not going to turn down profits by anyone that is a free individual in public. To me that is just strange tho I certainly believe in their right to discriminate or whatever word one wants to call it. Shame on everyone who used the force of the state to punish their perceived enemies. Lastly, I'd like to know if I'm about to do business with someone who hates me for whatever reason and I certainly would shop elsewhere rather than calling the nanny to beat them to a proverbial pulp.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2015, 11:55:51 PM

Shut up and cake my money!

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
galdur

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 31, 2015, 01:16:05 PM
Last edit: October 31, 2015, 01:36:57 PM by galdur

Kiss on the cheek triggers trouble for hot lesbians on Hawaiian vacation

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/10/31/us/hawaii-kissing-couple-arrest-same-sex/index.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azsJ6en1Rh0

Pierre 2
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 1358

View Profile
October 31, 2015, 01:39:10 PM

This cake baker didn't really understand how Free market works at all.
Consumers do not have identities other than money they offer (which is neutral)
He should have baked that cake for money.
criptix
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1145

View Profile
October 31, 2015, 03:18:39 PM

Not sure why the homophobia but you people realize that homo sexuals are not able to procreate right?

The "problem" will solve itself just give it some time.

█████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ██████
                ██████
               ██████
              ██████
             ██████
            ██████
           ██████
          ██████
         ██████
        ██████    ██████████████████▄
       ██████     ███████████████████
      ██████                   █████
  ██████
 ███████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
 ████████████████████████████████████

█████
                     ██████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ████████████████████
                 ▀██████████████████▀
.LATTICE - A New Paradigm of Decentralized Finance.

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀
TheButterZone
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2015, 11:51:21 PM

Well, as a part of free market, you are supposed to be free to decide to whom you want to sell your stuff, aren't you?

It is difficult to be a participant in the free market when you turn away so many customers you go bankrupt.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
kydranel

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 01, 2015, 05:05:35 AM

Where did this took place? I think the owner didnt accept it not because he is a racist in heart but it seems the owner has to take on someone's side. Its like someone but preventing the owner other than himself. you know what i mean

CryptoTotal.com    ¯\__/     Crypto MegaStore      ✓ Worldwide Shipping
──────────────    °  °    ────────────────────── ──── ─── ── ─
CamerasHeadphonesTabletsVideo GamesToysCollectiblesMoviesFragrancesHealthBeauty
Tzupy
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1074

View Profile
November 03, 2015, 01:40:49 PM

That's what happens when excessive tolerance leads to oppression.

Sometimes, if it looks too bullish, it's actually bearish
Pentax

Activity: 700

View Profile
November 03, 2015, 05:04:27 PM

Both sides of this argument are fucking retarded, IMO.

Side A:  Bake the cake take the $$$.  It's a business, not a church.

Side B:  Go to another bakery FFS. 

Too much politicizing of every damned thing under the sun.  Sometimes a cake is just a fuckin' cake.
TheButterZone
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2015, 07:57:01 AM

Well, as a part of free market, you are supposed to be free to decide to whom you want to sell your stuff, aren't you?

It is difficult to be a participant in the free market when you turn away so many customers you go bankrupt.

So many? LGBT guys are not even 10% of the population... I know bars that do not let you in if you are not dressed "properly" (jeans are inadequate for their standards) and nobody complains about it (nor are them going bankrupt).

So first you fuck the LGBT
Then you fuck the people who aren't LGBT but support them

Is anyone really selling cakes at such a premium that you they afford to say "fuck the majority of customers who aren't bigots like me"?

Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 3099

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2015, 08:00:34 AM

Not sure why the homophobia but you people realize that homo sexuals are not able to procreate right?

Then why didn't homosexuality die out centuries ago?  Why does it GROW?

https://nastyscam.com - featuring 13 years of OGNasty bitcoin scams     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming sooner than you think!
Corealz

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 10:24:47 AM

It is illegal to kiss in public in the USA? I see people do that all the time, gawsh.
criptix
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1145

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 01:26:42 PM

Then why didn't homosexuality die out centuries ago?  Why does it GROW?

It might take longer then centuries or millenias.
They arent a threat or dangerous to mankinds survival.

█████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ██████
                ██████
               ██████
              ██████
             ██████
            ██████
           ██████
          ██████
         ██████
        ██████    ██████████████████▄
       ██████     ███████████████████
  ██████
 ███████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
 ████████████████████████████████████

█████
                     ██████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ████████████████████
                 ▀██████████████████▀
.LATTICE - A New Paradigm of Decentralized Finance.

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 01:59:33 PM

The Western World, especially the United States, Canada and the European Union seems to be slipping toward gay Talibanism. At this rate, heterosexual marriage will be illegal in less than 5 years, and pedophilia and bestiality will be legal by 2025. Conservative citizens will either migrate to saner countries (Eastern Europe, Russia.etc), or they will "convert" to homosexuality.
Pentax

Activity: 700

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 03:33:35 PM

The Western World, especially the United States, Canada and the European Union seems to be slipping toward gay Talibanism. At this rate, heterosexual marriage will be illegal in less than 5 years, and pedophilia and bestiality will be legal by 2025. Conservative citizens will either migrate to saner countries (Eastern Europe, Russia.etc), or they will "convert" to homosexuality.

there are all kinds of "isms" on the rise.  I can only speak for what is going on in the US as, although I read world news sources, I don't have a ton of insight into what is happening in other countries.

what is going on here is ludicrous, IMO.  catering to all and every special interest group is a massive waste of time and resources and is impossible.

all any group has to do is paint itself as a victim of something, get some press, march around a bit and suddenly they are legitimate.  anyone that opposes that viewpoint is vilified.

we've seen it here with illegal aliens.  people that have no right whatsoever to be here are now victims.  but there are a lot of them and their friends vote.  so they are victims.  speak up on the simple fact that they are breaking the law simply by being here in the first place, much less sucking resources, and you are a racist, a hater, a _______-ophobe   blah, blah, blah. 

stick that label on the opposition and ride them into the ground, whether or not they have a logical, or legal, point is utterly irrelevant. if you can make it fashionable to support your cause so morons can send it viral on social media to make themselves feel and look good you are absolutely golden.

right now it's "black lives matter" and cops suck, and of course gays and illegals and a bazillion other little groups.

our public policy is being highly influenced and driven by people that support something because it's popular.   these are the same lemming-like morons that idolize the Kardashians and their ilk.  If that isn't enough to scare the living hell out of anyone I don't know what is.

MakingMoneyHoney

Activity: 504

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 05:56:48 PM

there are all kinds of "isms" on the rise.  I can only speak for what is going on in the US as, although I read world news sources, I don't have a ton of insight into what is happening in other countries.

what is going on here is ludicrous, IMO.  catering to all and every special interest group is a massive waste of time and resources and is impossible.

all any group has to do is paint itself as a victim of something, get some press, march around a bit and suddenly they are legitimate.  anyone that opposes that viewpoint is vilified.

we've seen it here with illegal aliens.  people that have no right whatsoever to be here are now victims.  but there are a lot of them and their friends vote.  so they are victims.  speak up on the simple fact that they are breaking the law simply by being here in the first place, much less sucking resources, and you are a racist, a hater, a _______-ophobe   blah, blah, blah. 

stick that label on the opposition and ride them into the ground, whether or not they have a logical, or legal, point is utterly irrelevant. if you can make it fashionable to support your cause so morons can send it viral on social media to make themselves feel and look good you are absolutely golden.

right now it's "black lives matter" and cops suck, and of course gays and illegals and a bazillion other little groups.

our public policy is being highly influenced and driven by people that support something because it's popular.   these are the same lemming-like morons that idolize the Kardashians and their ilk.  If that isn't enough to scare the living hell out of anyone I don't know what is.

I think most sane people can agree that it's ludicrous.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 06:31:47 PM

Lol... that frequently occurs here as well. If you notice carefully, it is clear that most of the experienced users in this forum are libertarian or anti-establishment, and mostly against political correctness. We joined the forum when Bitcoin was going at $5 per coin, i.e before the hype. But most of the users, who joined after the 2013 peak are extreme-leftist nuts. If you browse this subsection, you can find certain users who indulge in verbal diarrhea all the time, especially when someone disagree with the leftist thought.
Harry Hood

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 06:34:14 PM

Yeah, ya just came make stuff like this up.

I agree, I think he's making it up too!

Seriously though, it's unfortunate (and  embarrassing) that people vilify others for conscientiously objecting to something they don't agree with when IT IS THEIR CHOICE to refuse business to anyone they want.

It's ironic. When Liberal crusaders fight for tolerance and do so by being completely intolerant of anyone who doesn't agree with them.

There's a great way to fight this, the proper way to fight this, it's about the vote. Vote for the people you want  in office (even if they aren't perfect).

pungopete468

Activity: 1470
Merit: 504

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 09:13:12 AM

I read a post above commenting on the "neutrality" of a transaction in the "free market".

Seems like any Bitcoiner would know how fallacious that statement is. The "free market" doesn't represent the goods being traded as much as it represents the market constituents and their willingness to produce, and subsequently sell. The baker was unwilling to produce, that's as far as the inquiry needs to go into the matter, as a human being you have a right to choose who you will work for, and who you won't...

Here's another hypothetical...

If a person submits a job application, but during the interview is dissatisfied by something regarding that establishment, does that establishment then have a legal recourse in suing the person who submitted the application for damages when they choose not to work there?

That's what happened here, the baker is performing a "service" not selling a "good". They're a contractor for hire, not a product for sale...

The baker was fined for choosing not to labor for somebody else... It's as simple as that, your "service" is now considered a "good" and you can be forced to work for anybody if their request falls within your profession. You can no longer turn down a job without the potential for being sued and destroyed...

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████