Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:14:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Does Satoshi still have plans to access his coins?  (Read 3895 times)
Omikifuse
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 07:19:29 AM

I was doing some research on Counterparty and thought "Why didn't Satoshi "burn" his coins if he didn't have any intention to access them again?"

So maybe we'll see those coins move in the future?

Edit:  For the newbies.  Here's a wiki for "proof of burn" https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Proof_of_burn

no one here has direct line with Satoshi.
There is no way to know what is going to happens with Satoshi's btc. They might move now, soon, decades from now or never.
We will only know when they move or when the time reaches its end.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ingatqhvq

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 12:58:19 PM

If he doesn't want to keep his anonymous, he can spend his bitcoin.
If he use it he has the risk exposure his identity.
btcsnatcher

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 03:50:58 PM

If Satoshi would have  wanted to use his bitcoins he would have done so when the cost of bitcoin reached $1200... nevertheless it would have risked his anonymity, also t is based under the assumption that he has 1.5 million bitcoins... what's he gonna do with them if not spend them or utilize them.. keep them as a souvenir... I hardly think so...
Anyways... Human mind is a complex structure and a mind of a person as smart as Satoshi... maybe he has found out a way to do something with all his bitcoins by not doing anything with them...
MIND=BLOWN  Shocked Shocked Shocked

╲╲ ╲╲ COINOMAT.COM  ▬▬▬ WITHDRAW YOUR CRYPTO TO ANY BANK CARD ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
╱╱ ╱╱                                    INSTANT CRYPTOCURRENCY & FIAT EXCHANGE ✔       |  Vote For New Coins  |  Visit our Twitter |
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
AGD
Legendary

Activity: 2069
Merit: 1164

Keeper of the Private Key

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 04:00:50 PM

If Satoshi would have  wanted to use his bitcoins he would have done so when the cost of bitcoin reached $1200... nevertheless it would have risked his anonymity, also t is based under the assumption that he has 1.5 million bitcoins... what's he gonna do with them if not spend them or utilize them.. keep them as a souvenir... I hardly think so...
Anyways... Human mind is a complex structure and a mind of a person as smart as Satoshi... maybe he has found out a way to do something with all his bitcoins by not doing anything with them...

There is something more than just an "assumption" that Satoshi has 1 Mio BTC (not 1.5):  https://bitslog.wordpress.com/2013/04/17/the-well-deserved-fortune-of-satoshi-nakamoto/

Bitcoin is not a bubble, it's the pin!
+++ GPG Public key FFBD756C24B54962E6A772EA1C680D74DB714D40 +++ http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1C680D74DB714D40
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2015, 04:05:40 PM

Was "burning" coins a thing in the early days? Maybe he destroyed the private keys or deleted his wallet on purpose instead?

thought the same. i think he deleted the keys to the very early coins.

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2015, 04:08:52 PM

there is no proof that he is dead already

Where is your proof that he is alive?

Where is your proof that he is dead?

Proof:

goxxed.

btcsnatcher

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 04:14:58 PM

If Satoshi would have  wanted to use his bitcoins he would have done so when the cost of bitcoin reached $1200... nevertheless it would have risked his anonymity, also t is based under the assumption that he has 1.5 million bitcoins... what's he gonna do with them if not spend them or utilize them.. keep them as a souvenir... I hardly think so...

There is something more than just an "assumption" that Satoshi has 1 Mio BTC (not 1.5):  https://bitslog.wordpress.com/2013/04/17/the-well-deserved-fortune-of-satoshi-nakamoto/

"Note that from the 1814400 BTC awarded, 1148800 BTC has never been spent (63%). I suppose (but have not checked it yet) that these are exactly the segments that belong to the mystery entity,"

╲╲ ╲╲ COINOMAT.COM  ▬▬▬ WITHDRAW YOUR CRYPTO TO ANY BANK CARD ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
╱╱ ╱╱                                    INSTANT CRYPTOCURRENCY & FIAT EXCHANGE ✔       |  Vote For New Coins  |  Visit our Twitter |
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2015, 07:19:06 PM

At this point six years in, there is little reason to believe Satoshi will ever exchange any of his/her/their bitcoins for fiat.

there is any proof that he did not exchanged any at all yet?

Yes noob, of course Satoshi's addresses are known and watched.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1250

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 08:40:36 PM

I was doing some research on Counterparty and thought "Why didn't Satoshi "burn" his coins if he didn't have any intention to access them again?"

So maybe we'll see those coins move in the future?

Edit:  For the newbies.  Here's a wiki for "proof of burn" https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Proof_of_burn

no one here has direct line with Satoshi.
There is no way to know what is going to happens with Satoshi's btc. They might move now, soon, decades from now or never.
We will only know when they move or when the time reaches its end.
Some say a lot of people know him even IRL, like Gavin, Andreas, and even some dude said Karpeles. I do not believe any of that for a second tho, no one knows Satoshi in real life.
neurotypical

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 09:09:33 PM

Satoshi invented this, how can you even doubt that he doesn't have everything planed and safely stored? Everything satoshi does is for a reason and for Bitcoin's sake.
bitllionaire
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 09:11:05 PM

I don't think so,at least not to all the coins, he may access to some coins to have a good life,but he will never sell the whole amount of bitcoins in his property
btcsnatcher

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 02:04:16 AM

Satoshi might be somewhere watching the posts that we make making assumptions as to why he would or won't sell his possession of bitcoins... and thinking "hehehe...I'll just wait and watch these guys until I create another mind boggling invention... till then... "where's my popcorn for this topic"" (If he eats popcorn, that is)  Grin  Tongue

9kv

Activity: 145
Merit: 100

Learning

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 02:04:50 AM

nah, he's not going to use them.
Mt. Gox

Activity: 350
Merit: 118

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 02:58:25 AM

I thought 1 million was the most commonly accepted figure for Satoshi's stash.

And how would he have known that $1,200 was the ultimate top?

It's pretty obvious from reading his earliest posts that Satoshi thought Bitcoin could achieve prices much higher than $1,200:

Quote from: satoshi
I would be surprised if 10 years from now we're not using electronic currency in some way, now that we know a way to do it that won't inevitably get dumbed down when the trusted third party gets cold feet...

Right. Otherwise we couldn't have a finite limit of 21 million coins, because there would always need to be some minimum reward for generating. In a few decades when the reward gets too small, the transaction fee will become the main compensation for nodes. I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large (bitcoin) transaction volume or no volume.

Assuming that he's still alive, we know that he definitely witnessed the $33 high in June 2011 and the $265 high in April 2013. He could have cashed out during these peaks but didn't. He probably saw the $1,200 high in November 2013 in much the same way.

Dear GOD/GODS and/or anyone else who can HELP ME (e.g. MEMBERS OF SUPER-INTELLIGENT ALIEN CIVILIZATIONS): The next time I wake up, please change my physical form to that of FINN MCMILLAN of SOUTH NEW BRIGHTON at 8 YEARS OLD and keep it that way FOREVER. I am so sick of this chubby Asian man body! Thank you! - CHAUL JHIN KIM (a.k.a. A DESPERATE SOUL) P.S. If anyone is reading this then please pray for me! [ www.chauljhin.com ]
Mikestang
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 07:05:19 AM

Satoshi just called me, he said I can have all his bitcoins.  So that's settled then.
btcsnatcher

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 02:16:28 PM

If Satoshi would have  wanted to use his bitcoins he would have done so when the cost of bitcoin reached $1200... nevertheless it would have risked his anonymity, also t is based under the assumption that he has 1.5 million bitcoins... what's he gonna do with them if not spend them or utilize them.. keep them as a souvenir... I hardly think so...

It's pretty obvious from reading his earliest posts that Satoshi thought Bitcoin could achieve prices much higher than $1,200:

I would be surprised if 10 years from now we're not using electronic currency in some way, now that we know a way to do it that won't inevitably get dumbed down when the trusted third party gets cold feet...

Right. Otherwise we couldn't have a finite limit of 21 million coins, because there would always need to be some minimum reward for generating. In a few decades when the reward gets too small, the transaction fee will become the main compensation for nodes. I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large (bitcoin) transaction volume or no volume.

Assuming that he's still alive, we know that he definitely witnessed the $33 high in June 2011 and the $265 high in April 2013. He could have cashed out during these peaks but didn't. He probably saw the $1,200 high in November 2013 in much the same way.
That may be a reason...
I think he was optimistic about the growth of Bitcoin as a currency otherwise he wouldn't have created it... and his hard work paid off... as for his plans for accessing the bitcoins when they were $1200... I think he won't do it... otherwise it could be seen as the creator himself selling off a portion or entire possession of bitcoins which could result in loss of confidence in bitcoins by newer members of bitcoin community... moving BTCs through transactions could have worked out great... but who knows what's going on his mind Huh

JayCrypto

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 02:22:27 PM

I guess he has lost his wallet. Whereas not he thought that btc would have a so huge impact. He have had so much time to wash his btc and stay anonymous, but he still stay away from that fortune. It is too much strange!
Lorenzo

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 03:08:05 PM

That may be a reason...
I think he was optimistic about the growth of Bitcoin as a currency otherwise he wouldn't have created it... and his hard work paid off... as for his plans for accessing the bitcoins when they were $1200... I think he won't do it... otherwise it could be seen as the creator himself selling off a portion or entire possession of bitcoins which could result in loss of confidence in bitcoins by newer members of bitcoin community... moving BTCs through transactions could have worked out great... but who knows what's going on his mind Huh

From reading the earliest conversations between Satoshi and Hal Finney, it's apparent that Bitcoin was designed to be a direct competitor to fiat currencies from the very beginning. Satoshi selling his coins would be almost tantamount to a statement that fiat currencies are preferable to BTC which would likely have deep implications far into the future. A quick look at the genesis block and the message that has been embedded within it ("The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks.") pretty much shows how unlikely this scenario would be.

I guess he has lost his wallet. Whereas not he thought that btc would have a so huge impact. He have had so much time to wash his btc and stay anonymous, but he still stay away from that fortune. It is too much strange!

See above. It's also possible that Satoshi is already wealthy enough or is otherwise satisfied with his current standard of living that he doesn't see the need to tap into his Bitcoin fortune.
JayCrypto

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 05:53:04 PM

Forget about what his intentions are.  But does Satoshi have plans to access his coins again?  What do you think?

He's Dead! How can he access his coins when he already died? Huh ( if he's not undertaker from WWE)
He is not dead. He is eating his arms because of he lost the pkeys XD
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: