Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:06:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S2 Underclock  (Read 3350 times)
quakefiend420
Legendary

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 09:44:12 PM

Right so I have found the correct resistor and managed to get it downvolted to 0.70-0.71Volts from the original 0.75 V.

However its very hard to get it to run stable. At 196 Mhz half of the chips were getting X's.

So I downclocked the frequency to 163Mhz, it hashes but getting lots of rejections and 2% HW errors.

Mind taking a pic?  I have a couple S2s here that I might tinker with...I can use a soldering iron but i'm not sure what to touch with it Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 10:38:21 PM

Yes I did the pencil mod however this is a pain in the ass because the resistors you are looking for are on the opposite end of the hashboard, meaning you have to pull the heatsink off each and every hash board. There are 4 resistors per board you need to mod, so 40 resistors in total. But the grunt work is taking all those screws off the heatsinks. It helps if you have an electric drill with the right hex socket.

If you find a high res photo of the rear end of the S2 blade, I can show you which resistor to pencil. I already put my heatsinks back on.

The stock resistor is around 2.1KOhm, I got it down to 1.5KOhm and the voltage is around 0.70V or so from the stock 0.75V.

However I need to find a stable clock speed because I am getting huge errors.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 10:41:01 PM

Well done on finding the resistors. In some ways it's quite simple... If the voltage is too low for the frequency you will get too Many HW errors. So you either turn the frequency down some more until they become acceptable or you have to use an eraser on the resistors and redo them with less pencil and a higher voltage.

Have you just done a single board as an experiment or all of them? Also worth rechecking all the voltages if just one of them is too low than that one can cause the HW errors.

Rich

Yes I only did one board for now because its alot of work.

I checked the voltages and they were like 0.70,0.70,0.71,0.71 or so for each of the buck converter outputs so its close enough.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 10:47:53 PM

Alright I found a photo posted online somewhere and outlined. Either you want to overvolt or undervolt these units.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
RichBC

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 10:50:10 PM

Just looking back at my S1 notes my best results were at 0.76V. Remember that the standard voltage is 0.85V and the BM1380 spec sheet only goes to 0.75V, so  it's just possible that going to 0.7V is pushing it too far?

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 10:52:29 PM

Just looking back at my S1 notes my best results were at 0.76V. Remember that the standard voltage is 0.85V and the BM1380 spec sheet only goes to 0.75V, so  it's just possible that going to 0.7V is pushing it too far?

Rich

At 0.75V what clockrate were you running at ?

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
RichBC

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 10:54:15 PM

At 0.76V 225MHz

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 11:49:08 PM

At 0.76V 225MHz

Rich

With the S2, you can't run it at 225Mhz without it getting HW errors. The most you can run it at is around 212Mhz.

196Mhz is the stock rate for the S2.

So I am surprised the 163Mhz gives errors at 0.70Volts.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 03:25:10 AM

Alright I got it stable at 162 Frequency.

I need help figuring out the efficency since I only modded one blade.

AT THE WALL WITH AN UNMODIFIED S2 BLADE I GET 101WATTS hashing at 82Gh/s

AT THE WALL WITH THE UNDERVOLTED S2 BLADE I GET 88WATTS hashing at 82Gh/s

So taking into account the fans, PSU, controller, how would one calculate if its more efficient or not.

Since the unmodified blade uses 1W=1GHS it means that 82Watts goes to the blade and the other (101-82=19Watts) are the fans so subtrading 19 Watts from 88 Watts leads to ~69 Watts which means at 82Gh/s it consumes 69 Watts of power which is ~0.84W/GHS meaning an Antminer S3 efficiency.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
quakefiend420
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 03:25:15 AM

Alright I found a photo posted online somewhere and outlined. Either you want to overvolt or undervolt these units.

[img]http://i61.tinypic.com/2hxcdxz.jpg[/img

Neat, thanks.  I may have to try this out Smiley
quakefiend420
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 03:30:22 AM

So taking into account the fans, PSU, controller, how would one calculate if its more efficient or not.

Since the unmodified blade uses 1W=1GHS it means that 82Watts goes to the blade and the other (101-82=19Watts) are the fans so subtrading 19 Watts from 88 Watts leads to ~69 Watts which means at 82Gh/s it consumes 69 Watts of power which is ~0.84W/GHS meaning an Antminer S3 efficiency.

I think that sounds about right.  Refresh my memory, the controller has a separate power input from the backplane, right?  If so you could just unplug the fans and power the controller from another source, which would leave you powering nothing but the blade on the internal PSU, then you could see for sure what the difference looks like by swapping between an undervolted and non undervolted blade.
adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 03:40:33 AM

I think that sounds about right.  Refresh my memory, the controller has a separate power input from the backplane, right?  If so you could just unplug the fans and power the controller from another source, which would leave you powering nothing but the blade on the internal PSU, then you could see for sure what the difference looks like by swapping between an undervolted and non undervolted blade.

How would I power the controller from another board? I don't think I can.

I reran the test with all 5 fans disconnected.

AT THE WALL WITH AN UNMODIFIED S2 BLADE I GET 88 WATTS hashing at 82Gh/s

AT THE WALL WITH THE UNDERVOLTED S2 BLADE I GET 78 WATTS hashing at 82GH/s

So assuming 1W=1GHS it means that the PSU+Controller are using only 6 watts. So the undervolted blade is using 72 Watts.

72 Watts at 82Gh/s means 0.878W/GHS.

Hard to tell if this is correct until I get all 10 blades undervolted which can take hours.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
quakefiend420
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 03:43:29 AM

I think that sounds about right.  Refresh my memory, the controller has a separate power input from the backplane, right?  If so you could just unplug the fans and power the controller from another source, which would leave you powering nothing but the blade on the internal PSU, then you could see for sure what the difference looks like by swapping between an undervolted and non undervolted blade.

So assuming 1W=1GHS it means that the PSU+Controller are using only 6 watts. So the undervolted blade is using 72 Watts.

Hard to tell if this is correct until I get all 10 blades undervolted which can take hours.

Doesn't the controller get 5V separately from the backplane that it's plugged into?  If so, just feed it 5V from another source.  I doubt it's using much anyway, honestly.  I think those numbers make sense, the fan load can be variable, I bet the controller is pretty constant.
adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 03:46:45 AM

I think that sounds about right.  Refresh my memory, the controller has a separate power input from the backplane, right?  If so you could just unplug the fans and power the controller from another source, which would leave you powering nothing but the blade on the internal PSU, then you could see for sure what the difference looks like by swapping between an undervolted and non undervolted blade.

Doesn't the controller get 5V separately from the backplane that it's plugged into?  If so, just feed it 5V from another source.  I doubt it's using much anyway, honestly.  I think those numbers make sense, the fan load can be variable, I bet the controller is pretty constant.

I think the controller gets +12V from the same area as the 10 other blades, basically from the PCIe looking female end.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
quakefiend420
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 03:58:31 AM

I think the controller gets +12V from the same area as the 10 other blades, basically from the PCIe looking female end.

Oh, never mind then.
adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 04:27:34 AM

Oh, never mind then.

Seems to also run at 175Mhz putting out 88Gh/s at the same efficiency.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 10:36:37 AM

SUCCESS!!!

Finally finished doing all 10 blades on one of the miners.

@ 162 Mhz frequency

STOCK VOLTAGE 820GHash/s = 867 WATTS = 1.07W/GHS

UNDERVOLT 0.70V 820Ghash/s = 729 WATTS = 0.889W/GHS

-----------------------------

Tomorrow I will try tweaking and see if I can run it at a higher clockrate. The miner is very quiet now. And runs exactly the same efficency as my Antminer S3.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
RichBC

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 10:58:49 AM

Nice job, you just need to do the S3 now.  Smiley

Here's what I managed to get my S3 to.

Code:
MHz	V Core	GH	W	J/GH	R Ohm
206.25 0.728 412.5 271 0.66 4700
150 0.69 300 165.6 0.55 1800
125 0.64 250 122.4 0.49 330

The R Ohm is the value of the resistor soldered in parallel with the existing VFB resistor.

Rich

adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 12:06:53 PM

Nice job, you just need to do the S3 now.  Smiley

Here's what I managed to get my S3 to.

Code:
MHz	V Core	GH	W	J/GH	R Ohm
206.25 0.728 412.5 271 0.66 4700
150 0.69 300 165.6 0.55 1800
125 0.64 250 122.4 0.49 330

The R Ohm is the value of the resistor soldered in parallel with the existing VFB resistor.

Rich

Yes I might as well mod it to make it quieter.

What is the stock voltage for the S3? 0.75V ?

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2015, 12:42:08 AM

UPDATE!

Had more time to play around with these miners. Basically the ASIC CHIP cannot run at all under 0.70 Volts. I tried 0.67 Volts and its impossible to make it run under any frequency without getting huge hardware errors. 0.70-.71 Volts is the limit on these chips.

I have managed to get it to run on 181Mhz frequency and its very stable, no "X", and gets like 0.004% hardware errors. It hashes around 915Gh/s and uses around 830Watts of power at the wall. So 0.90Ghs/W and the stock would of been 1.1Ghs/W using the same hashrate.

Runs cooler and will pro-long the life of the stock Enermax 1000W PSU.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██