Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 01:26:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Is NEM [XEM] professionally developed and is it really different from other projects?
Absolutely - 23 (41.8%)
Yes, but there are better alternatives - 3 (5.5%)
Maybe in the near future - 4 (7.3%)
No it's kinda similar to other coins - 9 (16.4%)
Absolutely not - 16 (29.1%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [POLL] Is NEM really that GOOD ????  (Read 1833 times)
kodtycoon
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 05:29:29 PM

POI (proof of importance) what the heck is that supposed to mean?

I was reading about this coin last night. Visited their site, saw they recently had a couple of rounds of fundraising through auction and although they were only accepting bids in BTC you had to pay 1000 (non redeemable) XEM  along with your bid, just to show you're serious.

Mind you they didn't ask that you send the BTC until after you were notified you had a winning bid. That seemed kinda different.

Still I couldn't find anywhere I could buy XEM. I guess that's Proof I'm just not Important enough.

you couldnt have missed the part on exchanges if you were on nem.io.

either way

https://poloniex.com/exchange#btc_xem <- by far most liquid
http://www.btc38.com/trade_en.html?mk_type=btc&btc38_trade_coin_name=xem
https://bittrex.com/Market/?MarketName=BTC-XEM

"what the heck is that supposed to mean? " -> https://www.google.ie/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=proof%20of%20importance (no white paper out yet

the auction wasnt just a random fund raiser.. it was to help pay for a mobile app that is in development  (andriod and ios)

▄▄██████▄
         ▄▄████████████
   ▄▄█████████▀▀   ▀████
 ▄███████████▄      ████
████▀   ▀▀██████▄▄▄████
████      ▄███████████▄
▀████▄▄▄████████▀▀▀████▄
 ▀███████████▀      ████
 ████▀▀▀██████▄▄   ▄███▀
████      ▀███████████▀
████▄   ▄▄█████████▀▀
 ████████████▀▀
  ▀██████▀▀
█████████████████

███

██████████

██████

███████████

███████████████

███████████████████
█████████████████

███   

██████████

██████   

███████████

███████████████   

███████████████████
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
██████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄█████
█████▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄█████

████▀               █████
█████▄              ███████
██████▄            ████████
███████▄▄        ▄█████████
█████▄▄       ▄████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
██████████████████▀▀███████
█████████████▀▀▀    ███████

███████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ███████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
█████████▌▐       █████████
██████████ ▄██▄  ██████████
████████████████▄██████████
███████▀           ▀███████
██████  ▄██▀▀▀▀▀█▀▄  ██████

█████  █▀  ▄▄▄  ▀█  █████
██████  █  █████  █  ██████
██████  █▄  ▀▀▀  ▄█  ██████
██████  ▀██▄▄▄▄▄██▀  ██████
███████▄           ▄███████
██████████▀█████▀██████████
███████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀███████

█████▌             ▐█████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
██████▄  ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄  ▄██████
████████▄▄███████▄▄████████
fdylstyx

Activity: 158
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 08:32:31 PM

I was reading about this coin last night. Visited their site, saw they recently had a couple of rounds of fundraising through auction and although they were only accepting bids in BTC you had to pay 1000 (non redeemable) XEM  along with your bid, just to show you're serious.

Mind you they didn't ask that you send the BTC until after you were notified you had a winning bid. That seemed kinda different.

Still I couldn't find anywhere I could buy XEM. I guess that's Proof I'm just not Important enough.

either way

"what the heck is that supposed to mean? " -> https://www.google.ie/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=proof%20of%20importance (no white paper out yet

the auction wasnt just a random fund raiser.. it was to help pay for a mobile app that is in development  (andriod and ios)

Thanks for the links and yeah I saw that about the mobile app.   
kodtycoon
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 08:42:03 PM

I was reading about this coin last night. Visited their site, saw they recently had a couple of rounds of fundraising through auction and although they were only accepting bids in BTC you had to pay 1000 (non redeemable) XEM  along with your bid, just to show you're serious.

either way

the auction wasnt just a random fund raiser.. it was to help pay for a mobile app that is in development  (andriod and ios)

Thanks for the links and yeah I saw that about the mobile app.  

no problem

http://cointelegraph.com/news/113698/proof-of-importance-nem-is-going-to-add-reputations-to-the-blockchain

i meant to post the cointelegraph link not google search lol Cheesy

▄▄██████▄
         ▄▄████████████
   ▄▄█████████▀▀   ▀████
 ▄███████████▄      ████
████▀   ▀▀██████▄▄▄████
████      ▄███████████▄
▀████▄▄▄████████▀▀▀████▄
 ▀███████████▀      ████
 ████▀▀▀██████▄▄   ▄███▀
████      ▀███████████▀
████▄   ▄▄█████████▀▀
 ████████████▀▀
  ▀██████▀▀
█████████████████

███

██████████

██████

███████████

███████████████

███████████████████
█████████████████

███   

██████████

██████   

███████████

███████████████   

███████████████████

fdylstyx

View Profile
May 08, 2015, 08:28:00 PM
Last edit: May 08, 2015, 08:44:02 PM by fdylstyx

Joined Poloniex, was simple, and bought some XEM just in case their whitepaper on POI gets good reviews from the technoids.

Turns out someone a couple days ago (can't archive back any further,afaik) threw 5BTC at the same price I got my little stash. Hope he/she knows what's going on 'cause I sure don't. First time on an exchange for me...folks in chat box are helpful so there's some support from the mods 24/7. Just need to watch out for the usual FUD'n.

Edit: oh...and the fact any exchange could have your funds stolen, confiscated or hacked.

kodtycoon
Legendary

View Profile
May 08, 2015, 09:03:51 PM

Joined Poloniex, was simple, and bought some XEM just in case their whitepaper on POI gets good reviews from the technoids.

Turns out someone a couple days ago (can't archive back any further,afaik) threw 5BTC at the same price I got my little stash. Hope he/she knows what's going on 'cause I sure don't. First time on an exchange for me...folks in chat box are helpful so there's some support from the mods 24/7. Just need to watch out for the usual FUD'n.

Edit: oh...and the fact any exchange could have your funds stolen, confiscated or hacked.

first time on an exchange? nice.. you made a very smart move for your first move. Smiley iv seen snips of the white paper.. looks like the most professional and well written white paper iv seen in crypto. its easy tell its written by academics. poloniex are great. trust them the most out of all alt exchanges.

ps. you should check out the nem multisig feature for security. Wink tutorial list here: http://blog.nem.io/nem-tutorial-list/

▄▄██████▄
         ▄▄████████████
   ▄▄█████████▀▀   ▀████
 ▄███████████▄      ████
████▀   ▀▀██████▄▄▄████
████      ▄███████████▄
▀████▄▄▄████████▀▀▀████▄
 ▀███████████▀      ████
 ████▀▀▀██████▄▄   ▄███▀
████      ▀███████████▀
████▄   ▄▄█████████▀▀
 ████████████▀▀
  ▀██████▀▀
█████████████████

███

██████████

██████

███████████

███████████████

███████████████████
█████████████████

███   

██████████

██████   

███████████

███████████████   

███████████████████

fdylstyx

View Profile
May 08, 2015, 11:12:23 PM

first time on an exchange? nice.. you made a very smart move for your first move. Smiley iv seen snips of the white paper.. looks like the most professional and well written white paper iv seen in crypto. its easy tell its written by academics. poloniex are great. trust them the most out of all alt exchanges.

ps. you should check out the nem multisig feature for security. Wink tutorial list here: http://blog.nem.io/nem-tutorial-list/

I've read about that too, not very technical myself but I'm living proof that this cryto currency stuff is doable by your middle of the road average Joe/Jill...with the right motivators.
Bizmark13

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

WikiScams.org - Information about Bitcoin Scams

View Profile
May 09, 2015, 08:41:57 AM

My prediction is that NEM will probably take the role of NXT's "Litecoin". I think there is great potential for the platform, and NEM does bring a few good ideas and innovative concepts to the table (such as their POI algorithm which has never been attempted before). Litecoin did the same back in 2011. It allowed people without GPU farms to mine it, and it had a faster block time which meant that people had to wait less for confirmations. Like Litecoin, NEM offers some potential advantages over NXT but also like Litecoin, I personally don't feel that these advantages are significant enough to overcome the fact that NXT got there first.

That isn't to say that the NEM community won't grow over the next months/years or that the technology is destined to die. It just means that it's unlikely that NEM will overtake NXT, that's all. Even utopianfuture seems to have liked the Litecoin comparision. When drawing up the specifications for NEM, he copied Litecoin's practice of multiplying the total coin supply by 4 (which was later abandoned however).

I'm not a software dev, but I have some experience in software development and programming. I've seen snippets of NEM's code and it looks to be well written (although the same also went for Qora too which wasn't exactly a success). Then again, it's the ideas that matter and not the quality of the code. NEM has good ideas, good distribution, good devs, and the beginnings of a good community. I think it has a bright future. Smiley
patmast3r

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 09, 2015, 08:51:12 AM

My prediction is that NEM will probably take the role of NXT's "Litecoin". I think there is great potential for the platform, and NEM does bring a few good ideas and innovative concepts to the table (such as their POI algorithm which has never been attempted before). Litecoin did the same back in 2011. It allowed people without GPU farms to mine it, and it had a faster block time which meant that people had to wait less for confirmations. Like Litecoin, NEM offers some potential advantages over NXT but also like Litecoin, I personally don't feel that these advantages are significant enough to overcome the fact that NXT got there first.

That isn't to say that the NEM community won't grow over the next months/years or that the technology is destined to die. It just means that it's unlikely that NEM will overtake NXT, that's all. Even utopianfuture seems to have liked the Litecoin comparision. When drawing up the specifications for NEM, he copied Litecoin's practice of multiplying the total coin supply by 4 (which was later abandoned however).

I'm not a software dev, but I have some experience in software development and programming. I've seen snippets of NEM's code and it looks to be well written (although the same also went for Qora too which wasn't exactly a success). Then again, it's the ideas that matter and not the quality of the code. NEM has good ideas, good distribution, good devs, and the beginnings of a good community. I think it has a bright future. Smiley

I whish everyone was levelheaded enough to write down their thoughts in this manner. I may not agree 100% of what you're saying but I respect that you kept it clean Smiley

I would agree with you if NXT was already was what BTC was when LTC came. I don't think NXT has the adoption yet (not that BTC has much of "real" adotpion but you know what I mean ?) that would prevent NEM - or any other crypto - to take it's spot. IMHO there isn't much of a spot to take as the majority of people haven't even heard of either of them.

Can't argue with the fact that NXT is far ahead regarding 3rd party driven projects utilizing it and even community wise (to some extent at least).

jabo38
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2015, 09:09:54 AM

NEM has biockchsin based multisig alerts, making multisig easy for the first time in any crypto.

It is the first and only to ever use Eigentrust++ to make sure that the network has healthy nodes.

NEM is the first to have POI, which is the first great leap after POS.

Yes. It's that good.

And it's also soooo young. If the devs continue on in their creative ways, it could someday be the best 2.0 platform in crypto.

Bizmark13

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

WikiScams.org - Information about Bitcoin Scams

View Profile
May 09, 2015, 09:17:15 AM

I whish everyone was levelheaded enough to write down their thoughts in this manner. I may not agree 100% of what you're saying but I respect that you kept it clean Smiley

I would agree with you if NXT was already was what BTC was when LTC came. I don't think NXT has the adoption yet (not that BTC has much of "real" adotpion but you know what I mean ?) that would prevent NEM - or any other crypto - to take it's spot. IMHO there isn't much of a spot to take as the majority of people haven't even heard of either of them.

Can't argue with the fact that NXT is far ahead regarding 3rd party driven projects utilizing it and even community wise (to some extent at least).

Hmm... That's a good point. I'll add a few others too:

1. Litecoin was released a couple of months after Bitcoin was first "revealed" to the mainstream world. That was around June 2011. NXT, so far, has not had such an opportunity to cement its name into the public consciousness.

2. NXT isn't the only platform in the 2.0 niche whereas Bitcoin was pretty much the only crypto back in 2011 so the possibility of NXT getting dethroned as the most widely used 2.0 platform is probably far greater than Bitcoin getting dethroned.

3. If you compare the market cap of Bitcoin in October 2011 when Litecoin was released and NXT today, they're actually pretty comparable. Bitcoin was trading at $2-3 back then with a total coin supply of 7 million coins which equals a market cap of about $20 million. NXT's market cap right now is $10 million and was higher in the past. However, market cap doesn't really tell the full story and being the first crypto is a lot more significant than being the first 2.0 crypto.

I do still think that NEM being so late to the party will prove to be a handicap though but you definitely have a point in saying that this barrier will probably be nowhere near as unsurmountable as that of Litecoin's.
mrvegad

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 07:13:47 PM

NEM is just another shit coin.
Who can tell me which great feature NEM have and other coin doesn't"?

first ever blockchain based multisig
eigentrust++ node reputation system
PoI
Delegated harvesting
ability to connect safely to ANYONES nis and transacted and harvest securely using their nis even if the owner is malicious.
dynamic spam protection (per account, not global)

that was all ready at launch, not after.
Check out Blocks 59336 and 59337, there are 120 txs in each block and just about all of them came from NCDLLSCSHLNWGJ35HSPUGT3WQHUFFKEVRA6353QY
gimre
Legendary

Activity: 866

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2015, 08:49:20 PM

Check out Blocks 59336 and 59337, there are 120 txs in each block and just about all of them came from NCDLLSCSHLNWGJ35HSPUGT3WQHUFFKEVRA6353QY

You've experimented a lot, so it should be pretty clear for you.
spam filter does not get triggered, when there are no (OTHER) txes waiting.

NemusExMāchinā
Catapult docs: https://docs.symbol.dev
github: https://github.com/symbol
mrvegad

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 09:06:09 PM

You've experimented a lot, so it should be pretty clear for you.
spam filter does not get triggered, when there are no (OTHER) txes waiting.
First it was Spam Protection, now it's Spam Protection when there are no other txs waiting. Guess we will see if this hold true when the amount of txs increase. Meanwhile, people are free to bloat the chain.
gimre
Legendary

Activity: 866

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2015, 09:50:18 PM

First it was Spam Protection, now it's Spam Protection when there are no other txs waiting. Guess we will see if this hold true when the amount of txs increase. Meanwhile, people are free to bloat the chain.

It all will be clear, once WP is out. #soon

NemusExMāchinā
Catapult docs: https://docs.symbol.dev
github: https://github.com/symbol
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: