Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:18:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you think BFL's new ASIC is a lie?
Yes - 88 (23.8%)
NO - 119 (32.2%)
NO, but they are lying about performance, delivery dates etc. - 162 (43.9%)
Total Voters: 369

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: NEW info. Everyone is lying about ther ASIC project  (Read 26571 times)
king_pin (OP)

Activity: 416
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2012, 10:42:31 PM
Last edit: April 12, 2013, 11:34:36 PM by king_pin

In my personal opinion there is something very stinky about BFL:
NEW info. BFL are the biggest liars it appears
  • No certain delivery dates.
  • No pictures or schemes or anything.
  • Very limited information (actually there is no information on the ASICs).
  • No one answers their phone.
  • They answer your e-mail within 2-3 weeks.
  • All their answers are with a maybe or possibly.
  • I never got it why are BITCOIN payments preferred.
  • The broke the law of e-bay - 2 months to appeal and ask for a refund with their 2 to 4 to 6 months delivery - maybe.
  • They are a business registered in Massachusetts on the name of some Mexican woman.
  • They are playing with millions yet their website is made with WordPress.
  • Up to today no one has either seen, touched or heard their ASICs. (even remotely)

So what is your opinion, I personally believe that they are developing something but they are quite away from delivering it or with the given characteristics.
Some of my friends think that all of it might be a lie.

EDIT1:
So after 3 months this is what BLF has to say:
https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/437-asic-update-26-november-2012-a.html
"fuzzy" date
Got to love that! Cheesy

EDIT2:
FOUR months now, still nothing while other manufacturers, are posting pics of their real chips!

EDIT3:
FIVE months have passed and now it appears that all ASIC companies are lying.
AVALON are trying to make us believe that they shipped a week ago, but no one has received anything, and DEEPBIT blew it officially -    
DeepBit Reclaimer ASIC

EDIT3: - HAHAHA HA ......7 months!!! Cheesy

Help to save a persons life with BITCOIN - http://www.bitcoinsaves.org/en/
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
solareclipse64236

Activity: 392

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 10:51:21 PM

just wait, just 2 more months

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 10:54:38 PM

I don't see anything fishy, just a business that doesn't do customer-service very well.  You could have said the same things about their current-gen stuff before it was released too.
pyrkne

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 10:55:34 PM

To be honest, (most of) the things you bring up are very legitimate concerns. When they come out, we'll know for sure.

Let us early adopters take the jump.
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 10:58:13 PM

yeah, they fucked this up last time so they are reluctant to make promises this time and blow it again

they are literally sitting on a gold mine, that IP is going to be very closely guarded

see above

• No one answers their phone.

see their FAQ

• They answer your e-mail within 2-3 weeks.

they answered my last email the next day

• All their answers are with a maybe or possibly.

see the first point

duh, they want to promote bitcoin

• The broke the law of e-bay - 2 months to appeal and ask for a refund with their 2 to 4 to 6 months delivery - maybe.

??

• They are a business registered in Massachusetts on the name of some Mexican woman.

because no Hispanic people live in Massachusetts

• They are playing with millions yet their website is made with WordPress.

and?

• Up to today no one has either seen, touched or heard their ASICs. (even remotely)

see point 2

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
king_pin (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2012, 11:15:50 PM

yeah, they fucked this up last time so they are reluctant to make promises this time and blow it again

- Exactly, they fu**ed up once so they are probably going to f**k up again!

they are literally sitting on a gold mine, that IP is going to be very closely guarded

- If I have a gold mine and I am looking for inverters, I wont show the where the mine is, but I will give them pictures from inside the mine.

see above

- So again if im sitting on a gold mine I wont tell where it is but I will provide geological data or something.

duh, they want to promote bitcoin

- duh, cause with BITCOINS you may get away without returning them

• They broke the law of e-bay - 2 months to appeal and ask for a refund with their 2 to 4 to 6 months delivery - maybe.
??

- If you have bought anything on e-bay you will see that u can ask for your money back within 2 months, well BFL are telling me on e-bay that I can buy something with PayPal and they will probably maybe send it to me within 6 months. So again I cant get my money back - see above. Smiley

Now I can give such answers to all your replyes, but I understand your point, and that is exactly what I want to see who thinks what.

Somewhere someone sad that with Bitcoins it is Christmas all over again for the Pyramid and Ponzi schemes, old stuff that everyone knows but they seem to forget it when BITCOIN is involved - bear in mind Pirate40

live627

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 11:23:13 PM

They are playing with millions yet their website is made with WordPress.
and?
His point was that it seems unprofessional and maybe even a rush job. But it works for them, it works well. Should it be changed?
king_pin (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2012, 11:36:23 PM

His point was that it seems unprofessional and maybe even a rush job. But it works for them, it works well. Should it be changed?
Yes I have always sad that if something works well it shouldn't be changed, so that maybe one down but it still remains a big list Cheesy

Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 11:42:32 PM

That isn't them on Ebay !!!

It's just some guy making money off folks that have no clue on how to buy the devices on thier own...............

You are talking about this,right???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230826486809?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 12:10:14 AM

because no Hispanic people live in Massachusetts

This is incredibly common.  It doesn't mean anything bad.  All states require that a corporation list an agent with a physical address in the same state that is capable of accepting legal process.  Because of this, all states have companies and/or people that act as registered agents for various fees.  States with favorable corporate laws (Nevada, Delaware, North Dakota, etc) have tons of these agents.

Apparently it is a huge secret, because at least once a month I hear someone just learning about it and talking like they think it is evidence of something sinister.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
king_pin (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2012, 12:29:35 AM

@Unacceptable
Actually i was told that they are selling on e-bay I never bothered to look if it was really them, but how can you be sure?

Apparently it is a huge secret, because at least once a month I hear someone just learning about it and talking like they think it is evidence of something sinister.
I learned about it a few months ago, but it just adds to the conspiracy theory Smiley
Funny thing is that their offer sound so good that even I would buy one if I wasn't in Bulgaria and I'd probably wait 1000 years for it. Cheesy

billotronic
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000

Crackpot Idealist

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 01:49:23 AM

Not to say I know anything... but look at all the trouble the raspberry pi went through to come to market. Now, waiting for a 35 dollar computer vs a 1500 dollar money mill is different, but that is the price of bleeding edge tech.

This post sums up why all this bullshit is a scam
Read It. Hate It. Change the facts that it represents.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1606638.msg16139644#msg16139644
localhost

Activity: 392

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 06:11:20 AM

I don't think it's a lie but I really don't like their PR...

-
king_pin (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2012, 10:56:57 PM

Well the vote is kind of split, maybe some more votes will help decide

firefop

Activity: 420

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 05:31:32 AM

I'll say this:

BFL acts like a small business (probably because it is one).

That being said, a couple of points:

It doesn't matter if you believe them or not, they have product in the wild.
That implies a customer base who trusts them to deliver a product, maybe not on time - but they are shipping orders.
BFL has chosen to capitalize on their brand by selling pre-orders on ASIC product plan to produce. It's safer than a speculative investment - you could always sue if they don't deliver the product or return the money.

Conclusion:

If they release an ASIC product first, it doesn't matter what that product is - if network hash rates increase by 5 or 10 times (potentially 40 times) then GPU mining becomes pointless. And you'll then be stuck with no way to earn. My advise is this, if you haven't jumped on the BFL bandwagon yet - do it now, order an fpga single and pre-order the upgrade for it. If another company produces an ASIC product, you should buy from them as well. The more developers making this hardware would be the best thing for growth of bitcoin longterm.

An Aside:

BFL has been very careful to leave the small independent miner a very cost effective way to get into ASIC mining - that $150 Jalapeno - affordable and it would will effectively gpu mining for a third of the cost to the miner. This shows that BFL is in fact hitching their company to the future of bitcoin.

So basically Jalapeno mining replaces gpu mining (probably will generate about the same as a high end video card or two after difficulty adjustments) -

Incidently, if the network hash rate goes 40 times - and the asic single hits numbers, it should be pulling in ~20 btc per month. And as long as they're earning themselves out in under a year... I'll be glad I pre-ordered.

king_pin (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2012, 12:54:53 PM

There is one thing I don't understand:
If I have posted this pool 1 week after their announcement the result would have been probably 100% sayng that they are lying.
Now after 2 months absolutely nothing has changed on the BFLs side, no info no previews, no news nothing at all.

So why is the trust in them growing?

It is called euphoria Cheesy people starting to get excited and believing, and of course it is the sheep principle - people following the herd.
Even I am thinking about ordering one.  Roll Eyes

ashjam

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 10:47:41 PM

i just paid for two "warmer" units via paypal and email support for order number. A person named pegi replied saying the order number is the paypal transaction number . Did anyone get this same reply ?
doubleganger

Activity: 12

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 11:07:26 PM

The two I bought (at different times) had the order number in the email.
BFL_Josh

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2012, 11:11:45 PM

BFL has not and does not sell on eBay. 

BFL is not registered in Massachusetts ... not sure where that came from?  We are currently registered in Wyoming.

ashjam

Activity: 7

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 11:14:35 PM

The two I bought (at different times) had the order number in the email.

when u had order number ? what kind of number is it ?
 as in string of numbers like XXXXX ?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: