Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:38:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Requesting Posts be undeleted and unedited from Several Scammer Accounts  (Read 3136 times)
Quickseller (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 04:47:29 AM

I would like to request the following:

That all posts from the following accounts that were deleted on or after 2359 GMT on May 1 2015 be undeleted
That all posts that were edited from the following accounts on or after 2359 GMT on May 1 2015 be reverted back to how they were as of 2359 GMT on May 1 2015:

moreia - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=147832
Spodermen - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=366423
Plutonium - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=399356
silvercane - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=351921
fastponzi - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=413326
bit-dividends.com - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=434420
dmugetsu - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=408040
fiisco - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=324783
btcgains - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=351936
gambian-  - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=359740 (note this account has a dash at the end of it's name)

That all posts that were ever deleted by anyone other then a moderator in threads that are filed, or should be filed in the following sections, from the following accounts
Gambling - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=56.0
Investor-based games - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=207.0
Games and Rounds - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=71.0

All of the above accounts
bit-dividends - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=496639
Crypterest - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=487999
InvestCryptos - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=507340
niothor - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=119718

I would like all of the above accounts to be restricted to be unable to further edit and be unable to further delete any of their posts. A scammer tag and/or an untrustworthy tag would really be preferable, however the accounts really need to have the ability to edit/delete their posts be disabled.

Although the forum does not usually get involved in scams, it has in the past gotten involved in the un-delation of posts/threads. Additionally, there is no question that James Volpe is a scammer, as he has previously admitted to stealing funds from his "investors", (he actually admitted to it previouisly however he deleted the posts prior to me archiving the thread - the quotes inside the post are accurate).

James is attempting to cover his tracks by attempting to cover up evidence against him in a number of scams, as he was arrogant enough to think he was not able to have his "real life" identity uncovered which he was incorrect in assuming. He has a history of deleting all of the posts that his scammer accounts have ever posted and a history of deleting all the posts in a self moderated thread after he scams.

Additionally he has very recently edited the OP of threads he has created to make it look like his posts were very much unrelated to threads he created (which were very often related to various scams) and this will make it much more difficult to investigate his scams and potentially bring civil and/or criminal charges against him. He has done this in 21 of the most recent 40 (remaining) posts that he has not deleted. here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, ,here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here are all examples that TheGambler has done of this, and I do not doubt that he has engaged in similar practices on his other accounts.

I also believe that James was behind the hacking of what I believe to be theymos's close personal friend Akka several months ago.

Additionally, I would appreciate it if someone could review the linkeddox[/url] to ensure it conforms with forum policy.

Getting the dox was easy and relied on public information. First, I used blockchain evidence to link the account dzeros to the account TheGambler. I knew that he was in the GMT +10 time zone (that included, but is not limited to Melbourne, Australia) in this thread (the OP that contained the image has since been edited, however this post that remains confirms it). I then found the Skype handle (archive) that was posted by dzeros, which matched exactly the twitter handle exactly, and had posted a facebook account whose name very closely matched the facebook username of one of his friends. I was able to find a whois entry with a domain that matches the name of the above Facebook account. A search of the above domain resulted in the phone number and address associated with the above domain that was located in the above timezone.
This person has overall created an unsafe environment for the community to trade in and has overall wreaked havoc within the community. A lot of time and effort has been put into finding the various alts and scams this person carried out, especially considering the fact that he put in great effort in order to avoid detection.

On a somewhat related note as to how much effort was put into finding this person, and stopping his scams in their tracks, I would like to request a VIP account, or if not then a donator account, or if not then at the very least a custom title of "honorary legendary" member. As a result of my time and effort, someone who has scammed massive amounts of money will likely no longer attempt to scam here and someone who has spammed massively (via bump spam of his various shill alts for his various HYIP scams) will no longer spam.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Quickseller (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 08:23:35 AM

I would also like to add TheGambler - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=152722 to the list of accounts that need edits undone and posts undeleted. This was the account that had the most posts deleted and was how this activity was discovered.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2015, 11:34:01 AM

He can no longer edit or delete his posts, or delete others posts in self moderated threads, but theymos will have to deal with the restoring posts, he can do it far easier/faster than I can when it's a lot.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Quickseller (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 12:15:03 PM

He can no longer edit or delete his posts, or delete others posts in self moderated threads, but theymos will have to deal with the restoring posts, he can do it far easier/faster than I can when it's a lot.
Thanks. It looks like his newbie accounts also had the imposter warning removed when he sends PMs. I've received a few spam PMs from him with a sob story from dzeros that would normally have the warning but does not. It should be fine though because he doesn't have any imposter accounts.
OrangeSeller

Activity: 1008
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 01:19:13 PM

You would like to request honorary or donator just because you stop his scam?
sukamasoto
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1006

Black Panther

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 04:12:13 PM

At least quickseller try to make this forum clean from scam attempt. We should proud for that.

▄._      
                                       ▀█████████▀ 
                                     ,▄▓████████   
                                ╓▄▓███████████▀   
                           ╓▄▓███████▀╙.  ▀█     
                      ▄▄▓███████▀╙▄▄▄▄███         
                 ▄▄▓███████▀╙▄,  ▓███████        
           .▄▄▓██████▀▀╙▄▄▓████▌ ████████         
      .▄▄███████▀▀╙▄▄  ▐███████▌ ████████         
 .▄▄███████▀▀ ▐▄▄▓████ ▐███████▌ ████████         
╙█████▀▀▐▄▄▓  ████████ ▐███████▌ ████████        
 ╙▀ ▄▄▓█████  ████████ ▐███████▌ ████████         
    ████████  ████████ ▐███████▌ ████████         
    ████████  ████████ ▐███████▌ ████████             
Twipple

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 04:20:17 PM

At least quickseller try to make this forum clean from scam attempt. We should proud for that.

I wouldn't question or argue with that, as it is true. But perhaps, when he gives negative trust to other accounts where no scam was obvious, then he should consider his trust and atleast speak to the person being accused.
Quickseller (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 06:58:51 PM

well first of all it really isn't a big deal either way. However my argument is that I have probably put more then 10 BTC worth of time/effort/work into finding and stopping his various scams and into finding his dox. And as a result of my efforts that he will most likely stop attempting to scam on here, and as a result of that the marketplace sections will overall be safer, especially considering that people will probably think twice in the future before they try to start similar type scams as they will see there is real risk of facing legal consequences.
Quickseller (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 01:19:05 AM

There is any estimate when this should be completed? I am wanting to contact stakeholders in the bitcoin gambling arena to lobby Australian Law Enforcement to take action against James Volpe, however my argument for them doing so will be much stronger once the posts from the accounts in the OP are restored.

magneticfields

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 01:06:36 PM

There is any estimate when this should be completed? I am wanting to contact stakeholders in the bitcoin gambling arena to lobby Australian Law Enforcement to take action against James Volpe ...

Doesn't this forum have a whole sub where ponzi schemes are advertised?
What, exactly, did James Volpe do to warrant "contact[ing] stakeholders in the bitcoin gambling arena to lobby Australian Law Enforcement to take action against [him]"

BTW, isn't he a 17 year old kid? Have you tried calling his mom before calling in a nuclear strike?

For argument's sake, just how would you phrase your request? I'll offer you a draft to work from:

Dear upstanding gamblers of Australia, halp!

James Volpe, a 17-year-old minor living in your country, stoled our monys while running a ponzi scheme. A ponzi scheme which turned out to be not so legit.
He operated from Bitcointalk.org, posting on a forum dedicated to promoting ponzi schemes (which, as I'm sure you know, are illegal pretty much everywhere but here).
Imagine our surprise and dismay, gentlemen, when this boy's ponzi ran away with our money! Just like all the other ponzis advertised on this forum.
Dishonesty? In OUR ponzi forum?!!

We're all sorta libertarian here, and have healthy a distrust, nay, disdain towards law enforcement. Until a kid steals our money, that is. Then we run to the nannystate to wipe our bloody noses & tell us everything's gonna be alright.
I'm sure you understand.

Sincerely,

Anonymous

Quickseller (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 01:12:54 PM

There is any estimate when this should be completed? I am wanting to contact stakeholders in the bitcoin gambling arena to lobby Australian Law Enforcement to take action against James Volpe ...

What, exactly, did James Volpe do to warrant "contact[ing] stakeholders in the bitcoin gambling arena to lobby Australian Law Enforcement to take action against [him]"

BTW, isn't he a 17 year old kid? Have you tried calling his mom before calling in a nuclear strike?

For argument's sake, just how would you phrase your request? I'll offer you a draft to work from:

James Volpe, a 17-year-old minor living in your country, stoled our monys while running a ponzi scheme. A ponzi scheme which turned out to be not so legit.
He operated from Bitcointalk.org, posting on a forum dedicated to promoting ponzi schemes (which, as I'm sure you know, are illegal pretty much everywhere but here).
Imagine our surprise and dismay, gentlemen, when this boy's ponzi ran away with our money! Just like all the other ponzis advertised on this forum.

We're all sorta libertarian here, and have healthy a distrust, nay, disdain towards law enforcement. Until a kid steals our money, that is. Then we run to the nannystate to wipe our bloody noses & tell us everything's gonna be alright.
I'm sure you understand.

Sincerely,

Anonymous

He has scammed on this forum many times. He has stolen an estimated 100 BTC from various Ponzi and HYIP scams. He has made it more dangerous to gamble with Bitcoin because of the increased risk of getting scammed and gamblers will not want to gamble because they fear that their bets are not going to be fair.

His mothers identity (at least her name) has been known for years so I assume that someone has contacted her in the past. Regardless I don't see what contacting her is going to do. This guy has been scamming for years and getting spanked by his parents is not going to get him to stop scamming in the future.
magneticfields

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 01:18:47 PM

I'm sure you understand.

Sincerely,

Anonymous

He has scammed on this forum many times. He has stolen an estimated 100 BTC from various Ponzi and HYIP scams. He has made it more dangerous to gamble with Bitcoin because of the increased risk of getting scammed and gamblers will not want to gamble because they fear that their bets are not going to be fair.

His mothers identity (at least her name) has been known for years so I assume that someone has contacted her in the past. Regardless I don't see what contacting her is going to do. This guy has been scamming for years and getting spanked by his parents is not going to get him to stop scamming in the future.

So you haven't even called his mom, because you "assume that someone has contacted her in the past"? You realize how ridiculous that sounds?
Why don't you give her a ring & make sure she knows, instead of assuming & "lobbying Australian Law Enforcement"? Seems like a reasonable first step, no?
Would take all of 5 minutes.
Quickseller (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 01:29:37 PM

What is calling his mom going to accomplish? The estimated amount he has stolen is in the tens of thousands of dollars. In most places that would be considered to be a felony. The estimate only covers his scams on bitcointalk which only started around 18 months ago, however there is evidence that he was scamming for 4-5 years so the total amount scammed is likely higher.
magneticfields

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 01:48:01 PM
Last edit: May 11, 2015, 02:02:15 PM by magneticfields

What is calling his mom going to accomplish? The estimated amount he has stolen is in the tens of thousands of dollars. In most places that would be considered to be a felony. The estimate only covers his scams on bitcointalk which only started around 18 months ago, however there is evidence that he was scamming for 4-5 years so the total amount scammed is likely higher.

My guess is you're simply trying to generate some drama instead of getting anything done.
The reason internet ponzi schemes are so popular is they target the stupid, poor gamblers--people who are unlikely to press charges. Each victim has a pittance invested, and is not likely to be willing to testify. Unless you personally lost money, you have no standing in this case--can't press charges.

Add the fact that you're dealing with a minor, add "across national boundaries," add slim chance of getting your money back, and going after $24k starts sounding absurd. Yeah, it's felony theft in US, pretty much on par with stealing a car. Probation, unless black & poor. Is he black & poor?

And, of course, if you're not even willing to call the kid's parents, I really doubt that you'll follow through with any of this. I know this because of the rich, storied history of Bitcoin scams.
Not that I have anything against all the posts being restored, just 99% sure that no legal action will be taken.
'Prove me wrong.

P.S. Which "stakeholders in the bitcoin gambling arena" do you suppose would be interested in pursuing this case?
Quickseller (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 02:04:06 PM

My guess is you're simply trying to generate some drama instead of getting anything done.
The reason internet ponzi schemes are so popular is they target the stupid, poor gamblers--people who are unlikely to press charges. Each victim has a pittance invested, and is not likely to be willing to testify. Unless you personally lost money, you have no standing in this case--can't press charges.

Add the fact that you're dealing with a minor, add "across national boundaries," add slim chance of getting your money back, and going after $24k starts sounding absurd. Yeah, it's felony theft in US, pretty much on par with stealing a car.

And, of course, if you're not even willing to call the kid's parents, I really doubt that you'll follow through with any of this. I know this because of the rich, storied history of Bitcoin scams.
Not that I have anything against all the posts being restored, just 99% sure that no legal action will be taken.
'Prove me wrong.

P.S. Which "stakeholders in the bitcoin gambling arena" do you suppose would be interested in persuing this case?
I am not sure why you are posting from an alt account in order to try to get me to not try to have charges brought against this guy.

Testimony will probably not be necessary by his victims as there is evidence against him that can hopefully get a conviction on the forum.

You are right, his victims were greedy morons however that doesn't mean it is okay to steal from them. You are right that they are unlikely going to attempt to have charges brought against him because they have individually lost small amounts.

The difference between what he did and stealing a car is that he did it many times and took advantage of many people (stole from many people) while stealing a car involves generally one victim and one act. You could argue that someone was desperate for money when stealing a car while the same arguement cannot be made with this guy.

I would not need to have standing for criminal charges to be brought against him as the legal theory behind most criminal laws is that a crime harms society as a whole so society will bring criminal charges (via a government prosecution) against him. This is how a murderer can be criminally charged because the person he killed obviously cannot bring charges - they are dead.

The plan is to attempt to have owners of large Bitcoin casinos lobby Australian law enforcement bring charges against this kid as their business was likely harmed due to his ponzis have caused gamblers have less faith in Bitcoin related gambling when gambling on his HYIP schemes proved to be unfair. If none of the people I ask are willing to lobby law enforcement to have charges brought against him then I will do it myself although I am half a world away from them so doing it myself would likely be more difficult.

Charges have been brought against people who ran ponzis in the past - see pirate40. This kid has even gone as far as to outright admit to scamming people on here and admit to hacking accounts and spreading malware.
magneticfields

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 02:55:58 PM

Add the fact that you're dealing with a minor, add "across national boundaries," add slim chance of getting your money back, and going after $24k starts sounding absurd. Yeah, it's felony theft in US, pretty much on par with stealing a car.

'Prove me wrong.

P.S. Which "stakeholders in the bitcoin gambling arena" do you suppose would be interested in persuing this case?
I am not sure why you are posting from an alt account in order to try to get me to not try to have charges brought against this guy.
No, I encourage you "to have charges brought against this guy." That's what "prove me wrong" is all about. I'm just saying that you will not follow thorough, and are only attention-seeking, trying to turn swindlers stealing from swindlers into high drama. If you do manage "to have charges brought against this guy," I'll be amazed & apologize. Word of honor.
Testimony will probably not be necessary by his victims as there is evidence against him that can hopefully get a conviction on the forum.

You are right, his victims were greedy morons however that doesn't mean it is okay to steal from them. You are right that they are unlikely going to attempt to have charges brought against him because they have individually lost small amounts.

The difference between what he did and stealing a car is that he did it many times and took advantage of many people (stole from many people) while stealing a car involves generally one victim and one act. You could argue that someone was desperate for money when stealing a car while the same arguement cannot be made with this guy.
dunno. he could be a junkie. I understand those are desperate all the time. Besides, multiple small amounts would make it multiple misdemeanors, not very enticing to prosecute.
I would not need to have standing for criminal charges to be brought against him as the legal theory behind most criminal laws is that a crime harms society as a whole so society will bring criminal charges (via a government prosecution) against him. This is how a murderer can be criminally charged because the person he killed obviously cannot bring charges - they are dead.
That's why you can not press charges in a murder case. You can report a murder, but it's the state who chooses to press charges. If this was happening in US, the case would be "State v. James Volpe," not "Anonymous v. James Volpe."

If [whatever Australian authorities you plan to contact] chose to go after this kid, they (through US counterparts) will requisition Bitcointalk logs, just as it was done with Trendon, Josh, etc., etc. Nothing could be simpler.
The plan is to attempt to have owners of large Bitcoin casinos lobby Australian law enforcement bring charges against this kid as their business was likely harmed due to his ponzis have caused gamblers have less faith in Bitcoin related gambling when gambling on his HYIP schemes proved to be unfair. If none of the people I ask are willing to lobby law enforcement to have charges brought against him then I will do it myself although I am half a world away from them so doing it myself would likely be more difficult.
"Ponzis have caused gamblers have less faith in Bitcoin related gambling when gambling on his HYIP schemes proved to be unfair"?!
"A high-yield investment program (HYIP) is a type of Ponzi scheme, an investment scam that promises unsustainably high return on investment by paying previous investors with the money invested by new investors. Most of these scams work from anonymous offshore bases which make them hard to track down."
DUH?
Charges have been brought against people who ran ponzis in the past - see pirate40. This kid has even gone as far as to outright admit to scamming people on here and admit to hacking accounts and spreading malware.
Pirate stole millions & is an adult. As far as I know, he's not in jail & no one will see a penny back.
And yeah, the kid's bad news. Talking about it on Bitcointalk is just milking the drama. And pretty low-grade drama at that. I mean, there's always Jon and Graet & all the folks who are well-known & stole substantially more interesting amounts.
The ponzi victims don't want a white knight to prance in & resque them from their stupidity. They'll defend their right to be scammed, over and over again, as long as they can still afford an internet connection. Trust me, I know Cheesy
But then again, feel free prove me wrong.
Quickseller (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 03:18:10 PM

Well I obviously cannot guarantee any specific results however I can try to see that he is criminally charged, and can follow through.

He could be a junkie however he appears to be more of a gambling addict as he has lost the money he scammed by gambling on at least one occasion.

The problem with the authorities requesting evidence from the forum is that they would need probable cause in order to request information and they need some level of evidence of a crime to start investigating.

The difference between a traditional ponzi and what this kid did was that this kid build up trust of the ponzi and then instead of using new money to pay back old investors, he simply stole the new money and paid old investors nothing. Gamblers may not fully understand the risks involved in "investing" in a ponzi and ponzis are certainly not provably fair.

You are right, any case against this guy will likely be US v. Violpe or Australia v. Volpe however the prosecution /law enforcement needs to be made aware of his crimes to potentially investigate and prosecute them. If they don't know about them then they obviously can't prosecute them. As it stands now his crimes are pretty well covered up as he deleted and edited his posts.

No the greedy morons do not need a white knight however I think James should be held accountable for his actions. What he has done is wrong in a number of ways and he should be punished for what he has done (via legal means).
magneticfields

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 04:01:21 PM

^^^
OK. The kid's been doing it since he was 12/13 years old, a quick Google search nets piles of results.

I'm ~85% sure that theymos won't restore the posts, but he'll certainly provide them if requested by the authorities. In the mean time, nothing is stopping you from getting in touch with his parents/Aus. authorities. My guess is 50% chance of you not initiating contact, 99% chance of not following through if no instant gratification.

If you did contact his parents/whatever authorities, and posted your progress, people might take you more seriously. Because this forum has never lacked blusterous talkers with 0 follow-through. See pretty every ponzi thread and pretty much every "Securities" thread.

Of course, asking you to post progress is a bit of a catch-22: serious people seldom threaten legal action on internet forums or discuss their strategies.
Same applies to whiteknighting willing participants in HIYP/Ponzi schemes.
If you've been around as long as I have, you'd understand that these people (sometimes subcounciously) want to be scammed, it's an S&M kink.
What you're basically doing is galloping into an S&M dungeon & rescuing the damsel tied to a chair with a pink gag in her mouth.
But you go right ahead, I'm sure she'll thank you later Cheesy
Quickseller (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 04:21:08 PM

theymos has already restored a number of James's threads from self moderated threads prior to me finding his dox, however James recently deleted his posts on his accounts that were not banned. As of now the evidence against him is flimsy at best because of the lack of posts so contacting them now would likely result in an open and closed case in his favor which is not what I want.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12972

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 04:53:15 PM

You request is too broad/complicated. I can't do most of that stuff automatically.

Give me a list of topics and I'll restore posts by those users that used to be in those topics.

After I restore the posts, give me a (preferably short) list of posts that you want the edit logs for. I can't unedit posts automatically.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: