Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:59:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can someone explain to me how PoS works?  (Read 2871 times)
spartak_t
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1176

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2015, 08:48:26 AM

Because POS is also much better than POW because you don't get the sell pressure and when you do it's from people who already invested.

OP asked how POS works.

Can we agree that PoS has more positive things than flaws (like inflation, on which Daedelus is avid supporter Grin)?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Crestington
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1024

View Profile
May 09, 2015, 09:13:51 AM

Because POS is also much better than POW because you don't get the sell pressure and when you do it's from people who already invested.

OP asked how POS works.

Can we agree that PoS has more positive things than flaws (like inflation, on which Daedelus is avid supporter Grin)?

I didn't read the whole thread but I think it has more positives than flaws.

and also i want to let you know that today i doubled my holdings just by staking  Grin
spartak_t
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1176

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2015, 09:23:55 AM

and also i want to let you know that today i doubled my holdings just by staking  Grin

Yeah, I've checked last posts on PayCon while I was looking on it's specs. Kinda crazy interest. Smiley

Crestington
Legendary

View Profile
May 09, 2015, 09:28:24 AM

Yeah, I've checked last posts on PayCon while I was looking on it's specs. Kinda crazy interest. Smiley

Well I think you may be able to get away with higher interest if it's a static reward because the reward per year reduces as the money supply grows. If you have high compounding interest then it just goes to the floor and creates a revolving door at 1 Satoshi.
Daedelus

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 09, 2015, 07:26:54 PM

OP asked how POS works.

You haven't been reading the posts in this thread. Troopnetpt and I are against inflation, you are the only one in favour.

It would help if you stopped trying to distort others views and just present your own.
photon_coin

Activity: 310
Merit: 256

Photon --- The First Child Of Blake Coin --Merged

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2015, 08:25:34 PM

I cannot comment on nxt since unfamiliar with how the code works, never had time to review the source....

That being said, pos fails the byzantine generals problem so while I think it has a lot of great ideas and I used to think it was cool ....

I feel differently now,  proof of work is the best...

For more on the Byzantine Generals Dilema http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~sschang/OS-Qual/reliability/byzantine.htm

achimsmile
Legendary

Activity: 1225
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 09, 2015, 08:30:37 PM

pos fails the byzantine generals problem

Could you elaborate what makes you think that?
Crestington
Legendary

View Profile
May 09, 2015, 09:23:13 PM

I cannot comment on nxt since unfamiliar with how the code works, never had time to review the source....

That being said, pos fails the byzantine generals problem so while I think it has a lot of great ideas and I used to think it was cool ....

I feel differently now,  proof of work is the best...

For more on the Byzantine Generals Dilema http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~sschang/OS-Qual/reliability/byzantine.htm

I disagree because large holders would sell for profit if the price went high enough and are sometimes forced to sell due to economic issues (rent, bills etc.)
Scaccomatt0
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

https://cryptoworld.io

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2015, 06:32:56 PM

I need to keep up this thread to better understand how POS works.
How is a coin/block in a wallet selected to create the next block?
More coins in a wallet, more age the coins, more weight and so more chance to be selected. But what about the hash and mathematical calculus? Is there a paper or something else where to study on?

thanks

████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
               ______
          __███████████████_      █████         █████          █████           █████
       _█████████████████████      █████         █████        █████           █████
     _███████¯¯¯     ¯¯██████       █████         █████      █████           █████
   _██████¯            ¯████¯        █████         █████    █████           █████
  ██████¯                             █████          ██████████            █████
 ██████                               █████          ██████████            █████
 █████                                 █████         ██████████            █████
█████                                  █████          ████████            █████
█████                                  █████           ██████             █████
█████                                  █████           ██████             █████
█████                                  █████           ██████            █████    
█████                                   █████          ██████          █████    
 █████                                  █████          ██████          █████
 ██████                                 █████          ██████        █████
  ██████_                                █████         ██████        █████
   ¯██████_            _████_            █████        ████████       █████
     ¯███████___     __██████            █████      █████  █████     █████
       ¯█████████████████████             █████    █████    █████   █████
          ¯¯███████████████¯               ████████████      ███████████
               ¯¯¯¯¯¯                      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯         ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
|

FAUCET
ICO
ANDROID

████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
Crestington
Legendary

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 06:11:17 AM

OP asked how POS works.

You haven't been reading the posts in this thread. Troopnetpt and I are against inflation, you are the only one in favour.

It would help if you stopped trying to distort others views and just present your own.

I am in favor of inflation because if you have higher inflation then people will pull their Coins off the exchanges in order to Stake them which reduces the amount of sell orders on the exchange and increases the security of the network. When you have higher inflation (the sweet spot), there is enough liquidity that you have high volume on the exchange and people can trade on the exchanges and make profits of buying and selling but if bought it a little high, then can hold on to them and Stake and still gain profit later on. A lot of buying and selling (volume) creates distribution and over time it distributes the Coin more evenly provided there is also a good amount of development work happening. Very few people are going to buy and hold on to any Coin forever, especially if they are building a good amount of Coins and the price is rising, if you bought 1 btc worth and now it's worth 10 btc then you would probably sell some to make ROI.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: