Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:37:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How faucets make money?  (Read 3328 times)
Werko

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2015, 06:31:20 AM

Aren't implementing captchas enough for this? Which ones would you recommend? I've been using Solve Media and ReCaptcha. And what other anti-bot measures are there (apart from captchas) that a faucet owner could choose to implement?

Is not enough, SolveMedia in security mode revenue or secure level 1 could be easy read with OCR.
I think recaptcha is the best one
But with phantomjs or imacro is it simply to simulate a human.
You also need a mouse detection, measurement of time and other few think to detect a bot.

The best way against bots is a email registration, but this is really annoying

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
asztar7

Activity: 154
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 07:36:21 AM

I am running a faucet and I have to say:
all other ad systems apart from adsense, generate almost nothing
you have to have really big faucet to start receiving earnings from other things than adsense
I earn enough form adsense to keep the faucet going, but there is not much profit there. (some days 100% profit, but then 2 days in a row with 50% loss)
Mt. Gox

Activity: 350
Merit: 118

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 08:07:31 AM

Aren't implementing captchas enough for this? Which ones would you recommend? I've been using Solve Media and ReCaptcha. And what other anti-bot measures are there (apart from captchas) that a faucet owner could choose to implement?

Is not enough, SolveMedia in security mode revenue or secure level 1 could be easy read with OCR.
I think recaptcha is the best one
But with phantomjs or imacro is it simply to simulate a human.
You also need a mouse detection, measurement of time and other few think to detect a bot.

The best way against bots is a email registration, but this is really annoying

Hmm... Didn't realize that. Perhaps that might explain why my faucets keep getting drained so quickly. Sad

I'll probably be shifting to ReCaptcha and testing to see if it's any better. I've noticed that ReCaptcha sometimes doesn't check to see if a captcha was successfully filled in (i.e. you just press a button and the system analyzes your behavior/setup and determines whether or not you're a bot based on just that analysis alone). Email registration would be very annoying, and I'm not sure if many popular faucet scripts out there support that either (at least not out of the box I think).

Anyway, thanks for the help. Smiley

I am running a faucet and I have to say:
all other ad systems apart from adsense, generate almost nothing
you have to have really big faucet to start receiving earnings from other things than adsense
I earn enough form adsense to keep the faucet going, but there is not much profit there. (some days 100% profit, but then 2 days in a row with 50% loss)

Doesn't AdSense require sites displaying their ads to be rich in content? I would have thought most faucet sites would fail this requirement. Huh

Dear GOD/GODS and/or anyone else who can HELP ME (e.g. MEMBERS OF SUPER-INTELLIGENT ALIEN CIVILIZATIONS): The next time I wake up, please change my physical form to that of FINN MCMILLAN of SOUTH NEW BRIGHTON at 8 YEARS OLD and keep it that way FOREVER. I am so sick of this chubby Asian man body! Thank you! - CHAUL JHIN KIM (a.k.a. A DESPERATE SOUL) P.S. If anyone is reading this then please pray for me! [ www.chauljhin.com ]
asztar7

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 08:55:17 AM
Last edit: May 15, 2015, 09:06:22 AM by asztar7

To create an adsense account you need a site rich in content. Then, however, you can add the adsense to the sites not so rich in context - it is said so in rules.
I have other pages than faucet, that have a lot of text and generaly a bit of "quality" users. Then, a faucet which generates much more traffic, but low quality
Mt. Gox

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 09:08:41 AM

To create an adsense account you need a site rich in context. Then, however, you can add the adsense to the sites not so rich in context - it is said so in rules.
I have other pages than faucet, that have a lot of text and generaly a bit of "quality" users. Then, a faucet which generates much more traffic, but low quality

Ah, OK thanks for the explanation. I always assumed the requirement was universal. Never thought that as long as at least one of your sites have good content, you can place the ad even on pages/sites which lack high-quality content. I see that Freebitco.in also has AdSense ads and they're the largest faucet in the world so I guess that pretty much validates it then. Smiley

Dear GOD/GODS and/or anyone else who can HELP ME (e.g. MEMBERS OF SUPER-INTELLIGENT ALIEN CIVILIZATIONS): The next time I wake up, please change my physical form to that of FINN MCMILLAN of SOUTH NEW BRIGHTON at 8 YEARS OLD and keep it that way FOREVER. I am so sick of this chubby Asian man body! Thank you! - CHAUL JHIN KIM (a.k.a. A DESPERATE SOUL) P.S. If anyone is reading this then please pray for me! [ www.chauljhin.com ]
mnporter2001

Activity: 602
Merit: 250

HEX: Longer pays better

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 04:06:15 PM

I've been running Faucets for years, and I would not have been doing that unless they made profit !

Most of what has been said above is pretty accurate regarding how the faucet makes money.

• Advertising
  • Captcha's
  • Re using your traffic
  • Donations

I don't use captcha's to generate income, or donations, but I do make money from advertising, and re selling my traffic.

My outgoings for the two fauctets I currently have is around 2.5BTC per mth but I aim to make what ever I spend x2,

Just out of curiosity but why don't you use captchas to generate income? Is it because you specifically choose not to or because their reward is too low for it to be worthwhile? I know Solve Media gives you a small reward for each successfully solved captcha and I haven't heard any complaints about their captchas being easily beaten by bots.

Donations, I can pretty much understand though.

When I started Bitcoingenie.info I used solvemedia on that one and to be honest for what they pay, and there min amount to payout which I think is currently $200 and the fact I'm in the UK just didn't make it worth while, plus the fact it is pretty easy to defeat with a bot, I mean there captcha is either "very nice" crocodile tears" or "pajama bottoms" they don't revolve the captcha enough, plus I don't like the way they have started the out of screen thing when you click the reveal.

Its all about keeping your users happy, I'm fortunate enough to have an adsense account, in fact I logged into adsense yesterday and apparently it was my 9th year anniversary of using adsense lol

And yeah donations are just a dumb ass way of trying to make money from a faucet.... if people need the dust to start with they are hardly likely to chuck a BTC at you are they lol Wink

████████████████████
       ██████████████████████
      ████████████████████████
     ██████████████████████████
    ████████████████████████████
   ████               ▀██████████
  ████  ██████████████  ██████████
████  ████████████████  ██████████▄
████  ██████████████████  █████████▀
██  ████████████████████  ███████
    ███          █████████  █████
   ███  ███████   ███████  █████
       █████████   █████  █████
      ███████████   ███  █████
       █████████   ███  █████
        ███████   ███  █████

Powered by,
Mt. Gox

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 04:41:18 PM

I've been running Faucets for years, and I would not have been doing that unless they made profit !

Most of what has been said above is pretty accurate regarding how the faucet makes money.

• Advertising
  • Captcha's
  • Re using your traffic
  • Donations

I don't use captcha's to generate income, or donations, but I do make money from advertising, and re selling my traffic.

My outgoings for the two fauctets I currently have is around 2.5BTC per mth but I aim to make what ever I spend x2,

Just out of curiosity but why don't you use captchas to generate income? Is it because you specifically choose not to or because their reward is too low for it to be worthwhile? I know Solve Media gives you a small reward for each successfully solved captcha and I haven't heard any complaints about their captchas being easily beaten by bots.

Donations, I can pretty much understand though.

When I started Bitcoingenie.info I used solvemedia on that one and to be honest for what they pay, and there min amount to payout which I think is currently $200 and the fact I'm in the UK just didn't make it worth while, plus the fact it is pretty easy to defeat with a bot, I mean there captcha is either "very nice" crocodile tears" or "pajama bottoms" they don't revolve the captcha enough, plus I don't like the way they have started the out of screen thing when you click the reveal.

Its all about keeping your users happy, I'm fortunate enough to have an adsense account, in fact I logged into adsense yesterday and apparently it was my 9th year anniversary of using adsense lol

And yeah donations are just a dumb ass way of trying to make money from a faucet.... if people need the dust to start with they are hardly likely to chuck a BTC at you are they lol Wink

Thanks for the answer.

I didn't realize Solve Media had so many issues. Would you say ReCaptcha is the best captcha then? (especially in regards to resistance to bots)

And donations were probably more of a factor back when there were fewer faucets and most of them weren't solely motivated by profit. I believe Gavin's original faucet subsisted solely through donations for most of it's existence.

superiorus
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

Bitcoiner since start, and continue to love it!

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2015, 06:31:56 PM

Hi

I'm a faucet owner too (I think is one of the best) : http://bitcoinspace.net/freebitcoins
We pay 600, 1500, 2000, 3000, 5000, 10000 satoshis every hour.
We have : Google Adsense, Bitmedia.io, Adbit.co, Bitclix.com as advertising networks.
The main revenue is generated by Adsense (over 80%)
We have 35-40 k unique vistors per day.

winspiral
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1026

Free WSPU2 Token or real dollars

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2015, 06:39:08 PM

Hi

I'm a faucet owner too (I think is one of the best) : http://bitcoinspace.net/freebitcoins
We have : Google Adsense, Bitmedia.io, Adbit.co, Bitclix.com as advertising networks.

I think many of your faucet users will give up before reaching the minimum payout...

superiorus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2015, 07:00:54 PM

Hi

I think many of your faucet users will give up before reaching the minimum payout...

You are wrong:) they don't give up, they continue to play and recommend our page to others, because we are trusted and we have high rewards.
Now (because we have just 45 days from lauch) we have the minimum set to 100100 satoshis.
We will reduce it to 50000 satoshis or even more in the future (after we get a fair formula between payments and revenue and after we receive the payments from Adsense)
Also other adjustments can be made.

asztar7

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 07:42:15 PM

Hi

You are wrong:) they don't give up, they continue to play and recommend our page to others, because we are trusted and we have high rewards.
Now (because we have just 45 days from lauch) we have the minimum set to 100100 satoshis.
We will reduce it to 50000 satoshis or even more in the future (after we get a fair formula between payments and revenue and after we receive the payments from Adsense)

Hey, did it take long to get approved by bitmedia?
I am waiting over 10 days now. Are the earnings from them good?
superiorus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2015, 07:57:03 PM

Bitmedia is in the 2-nd place for revenue (after Adwords)
10 days ?  woow I think you should contact them.
From what I remember the activation is our case was in 2-3 hours

winspiral
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2015, 07:23:00 AM

Hi

I wish you succes...and I promote your faucet...but it's not as webmaster my preferest and i think it is the same for many little webmasters.

superiorus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2015, 07:32:18 AM

I wish you succes...and I promote your faucet...but it's not as webmaster my preferest and i think it is the same for many little webmasters.

Can you explain a bit ?

asztar7

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 08:11:59 AM

Bitmedia is in the 2-nd place for revenue (after Adwords)
10 days ?  woow I think you should contact them.
From what I remember the activation is our case was in 2-3 hours

So I have already mailed them and another day passed...
I did not know they provide such good earnings....
I hope they will answer soon
aniko11

Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2015, 08:16:15 AM

You're not alone, my site was never approved by bitmedia either, they may have some rules about which site to accept.

winspiral
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2015, 08:44:39 AM

Can you explain a bit ?

of course:
My ad space is not unlimited.
If I promote your link it is more a service for my members and visitor than a purpose to earn more.
But I see that faucets users keep up or give up if the payout is to high.

it is same for me:
I test many faucets and if the payout is to high,I will never reach the payout before the faucet close (lol)
I and my referrals prefer earning less but faster because they see too much scam,and honnest webmaster are put in the same basket...

if you are realy the best and your payout is not too high,then I will promote your faucet more...

superiorus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2015, 09:11:39 AM

of course:
If I promote your link it is more a service for my members and visitor than a purpose to earn more.

it is same for me:
I test many faucets and if the payout is to high,I will never reach the payout before the faucet close (lol)
I and my referrals prefer earning less but faster because they see too much scam,and honnest webmaster are put in the same basket...

if you are realy the best and your payout is not too high,then I will promote your faucet more...

Our cashout limit is set to 100100  satoshi right now.
Some people say that this is a high number, but ... let's compare it with https://freebitco.in/ for example: they pay once a week. On http://bitcoinspace/freebitcoins you can reach the actual cashout amount in aprox 1 week also.
We will reduce this limit (I think to 50% ) once we receive the revenue from advertising.
You can start promote it and benefit later.
We dont open a faucet for 1 month (we invested too much money in this project (server, security, script, payments to users etc)
We want to offer one of the best platform in this business.

PS : there are users who already have many referrals (I have a user with 3,972 referrals - you can check this by yourself by entering this addres in the "REFS" page on our website : 1BDSf6T17iCRFkSwXbWUFWqsr29j24KqGu)  Check his address and see how many payments he received from BitcoinSpace.

winspiral
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2015, 09:58:00 AM

of course:

it is same for me:

Our cashout limit is set to 100100  satoshi right now.
Some people say that this is a high number, but ... let's compare it with https://freebitco.in/ for example: they pay once a week. On http://bitcoinspace/freebitcoins you can reach the actual cashout amount in aprox 1 week also.
We will reduce this limit (I think to 50% ) once we receive the revenue from advertising.
You can start promote it and benefit later.
We dont open a faucet for 1 month (we invested too much money in this project (server, security, script, payments to users etc)
We want to offer one of the best platform in this business.

PS : there are users who already have many referrals (I have a user with 3,972 referrals - you can check this by yourself by entering this addres in the "REFS" page on our website : 1BDSf6T17iCRFkSwXbWUFWqsr29j24KqGu)  Check his address and see how many payments he received from BitcoinSpace.

Ok I will try it...

I have just seen i have referrer commission 150 sat...

Your balance:
Current: 4,950 satoshis | Referral: 150 satoshis | All time: 4,950 satoshis
Cash out amount: 100,100 satoshis -

I let you know...

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: