Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 06:27:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Libertarianism sucks.  (Read 5046 times)
Coincomm (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 05:31:28 AM

People do not like libertarianism because it makes their lives harder. It does not support the view that Americans are better and more deserving of a disproportionate share of the world's resources. It does not use the state to create benefits for a specific group of people. It does not shift the costs of now onto the future. It does not allow people to use the power of the state to stop unpopular ideas, criticism, or offensive material. It does not allow the majority to enforce morality through law.

It is not a fun way of life. Imagine living someplace where the state had no moral control over actions and behaviors that do not violate the rights of others? It would be total chaos. People could enter into legal relationships with those of the same sex or people that they are related to. People could use illegal drugs. they could sell organs. Maybe they would be saying things that you find offensive.

That would be a terrible place. The state exists to serve me. I am owed everything and no one should ever do anything that offends or inconveniences me.
Coreadrin_47

Activity: 56

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 05:50:37 AM

I believe in unicorns, too!

My favorite thing is voting.  I love it.  That's because hen you write someone's name down on a piece of paper and enough millions of people check off the box beside the name on that piece of paper, that the person who was chosen has undergone what is formally known as the "rite of purification by ballot", and that all negative aspects of their human nature that might exist have been washed away by the will of the majority, and they will only use their armies of hundreds of thousands of men with guns and free reign to use them indiscriminately, without consequence, will be the greatest, bestest thing for all of us!
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2012, 06:12:03 AM

Reductio ad absurdum, expertly done.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
AntiCap

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 07:17:37 AM

Yes it does, in many ways, but not for the reasons you detailed above.
Good job defeating that straw-man though. I'm sure it was hard work.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4368
Merit: 3060

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 07:44:08 AM

Yes it does, in many ways, but not for the reasons you detailed above.
Good job defeating that straw-man though. I'm sure it was hard work.
You're not familiar with Poe's Law, are you?

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 08:56:32 AM

Libertarianism will actually work, yes. But even as a libertarian I really wonder sometimes if the anarcho-capitalists and self-described libertarians on this forum realize that with liberty does come responsibility. You can't fraud your way to success, folks. You've got to take the "responsibility" angle seriously, and be able to own up to your own actions.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2012, 10:49:56 AM

Libertarianism will actually work, yes. But even as a libertarian I really wonder sometimes if the anarcho-capitalists and self-described libertarians on this forum realize that with liberty does come responsibility. You can't fraud your way to success, folks. You've got to take the "responsibility" angle seriously, and be able to own up to your own actions.

+1 but some of us do realize that. Wink

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2012, 12:13:28 PM

People do not like libertarianism because it makes their lives harder. It does not support the view that Americans are better and more deserving of a disproportionate share of the world's resources. It does not use the state to create benefits for a specific group of people. It does not shift the costs of now onto the future. It does not allow people to use the power of the state to stop unpopular ideas, criticism, or offensive material. It does not allow the majority to enforce morality through law.

It is not a fun way of life. Imagine living someplace where the state had no moral control over actions and behaviors that do not violate the rights of others? It would be total chaos. People could enter into legal relationships with those of the same sex or people that they are related to. People could use illegal drugs. they could sell organs. Maybe they would be saying things that you find offensive.

That would be a terrible place. The state exists to serve me. I am owed everything and no one should ever do anything that offends or inconveniences me.

Welcome back Atlas http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I8BPDjUgKI

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 02:44:40 PM

That's not why I don't like libertarianism. Try again.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 03:48:01 PM

Welcome back Atlas http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I8BPDjUgKI
Good catch. I just dislike Libertarians because they write nonsense like this. I usually just ignore them. QED.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
ElMoIsEviL

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 06:15:47 PM

Well I tend to use the moniker Mutualist or simply "Anarchist" (without any adjectives) to describe my views.

My one grip with Libertarianism isn't really with the ideology itself but many of the followers of said ideology. You see I have a problem with what Roderick Long calls "Left-Right Conflation-ism" and Kevin Carson calls "Vulgar Libertarianism".

An example of this would be how some view modern day "Corporations" who buy political power. Those institutions are not legitimate. Their wealth was made by way of utilizing means not accessible to any of us. They also tend to be safe from Market competition due to regulations they've purchased. Simply chalking it off as "well they did the best they could under the current conditions" does not cut it.

Their wealth ought to be stripped from them, as we do with bureaucrats and others Statists, the moment Freed Markets takes shape. They are enemies of Liberty and Freed Markets.

Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 06:25:07 PM

The state exists to serve me.

Yeah! I'm sick of choices. I want the state to take them away so the only decision I have to make is, "Coke or Pepsi?"
Coincomm (OP)

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 08:47:03 PM

Well I tend to use the moniker Mutualist or simply "Anarchist" (without any adjectives) to describe my views.

My one grip with Libertarianism isn't really with the ideology itself but many of the followers of said ideology. You see I have a problem with what Roderick Long calls "Left-Right Conflation-ism" and Kevin Carson calls "Vulgar Libertarianism".

An example of this would be how some view modern day "Corporations" who buy political power. Those institutions are not legitimate. Their wealth was made by way of utilizing means not accessible to any of us. They also tend to be safe from Market competition due to regulations they've purchased. Simply chalking it off as "well they did the best they could under the current conditions" does not cut it.

Their wealth ought to be stripped from them, as we do with bureaucrats and others Statists, the moment Freed Markets takes shape. They are enemies of Liberty and Freed Markets.

I agree Corporations are in the same league as Governments. Same abuse of power when you get to the depths of it.
Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 08:48:44 PM

I agree Corporations are in the same league as Governments. Same abuse of power when you get to the depths of it.

They're the same thing these days. The only ones that think there's a difference are the average voters.
Coreadrin_47

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 09:37:27 PM

Sure, but only to an extent.  I can walk out of walmart without spending a dime.  Try "not spending" on sending other people's kids to school and paying those public teacher bureaucracies.  See how far that gets you and if you don't have men showing up at your house with guns taking your house from you because you "owe" them.

I don't see any walmart cops grabbing people off the sidewalks and dragging them into the store because they "owe" walmart for shelving and stocking all these products on behalf of the public.
Coincomm (OP)

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 09:44:24 PM

Sure, but only to an extent.  I can walk out of walmart without spending a dime.  Try "not spending" on sending other people's kids to school and paying those public teacher bureaucracies.  See how far that gets you and if you don't have men showing up at your house with guns taking your house from you because you "owe" them.

I don't see any walmart cops grabbing people off the sidewalks and dragging them into the store because they "owe" walmart for shelving and stocking all these products on behalf of the public.

Wal-mart is one of the lesser evils when it comes to corporatism. They act more like clouty market participants than anything.

I look more to Monsanto and BP who bribe their way to government benefits and bailouts.

For instance, Monsanto evades Puerto Rico's constitutional land limit by using several LLC names. They are looking for a monopoly on Puerto Rico agriculture.

Everybody else is forced to follow the rules.
asdf

Activity: 527

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 10:46:18 PM

People do not like libertarianism because I can't use the state to enforce my environmental policy through violent coercion.

That's why don't like libertarianism!

better?
myrkul

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2012, 10:50:12 PM

People do not like libertarianism because I can't use the state to enforce my environmental policy through violent coercion.

That's why I don't like libertarianism!

better?

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Coreadrin_47

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 12:57:41 AM

Sure, but only to an extent.  I can walk out of walmart without spending a dime.  Try "not spending" on sending other people's kids to school and paying those public teacher bureaucracies.  See how far that gets you and if you don't have men showing up at your house with guns taking your house from you because you "owe" them.

Wal-mart is one of the lesser evils when it comes to corporatism. They act more like clouty market participants than anything.

I look more to Monsanto and BP who bribe their way to government benefits and bailouts.

For instance, Monsanto evades Puerto Rico's constitutional land limit by using several LLC names. They are looking for a monopoly on Puerto Rico agriculture.

Everybody else is forced to follow the rules.

Monsanto might retain some benefits by bribing the state (again, only possible when the state exists in the first place).

But their biggest fascist benefit is in patent law (which is immoral, in all cases, along with the entire concept of IP).  They can patent a planet, are waived from all consequences that their modified food might impose upon consumers, and if anyone DARES to take that and improve it or make it safer, they are sued into oblivion and/or locked into a cage.  It is the artificial monopoly that is the real killer, because the monopoly is where they shirk all accountability, and every natural mechanism of the market is beaten down to a pulp.
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 02:05:04 AM

That's why don't like libertarianism!

better?

Don't be an idiot.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: