Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:30:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How the Single SCs will be operated?  (Read 4168 times)
Fking (OP)

Activity: 136
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 02:54:18 PM

Does anybody know if they will be stand alone units that just need internet, or we will have to connect them to a PC?
How they will be controlled?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 03:45:58 PM

You will need a spare PC with spare USB ports (laptops work great for this).

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
stick_theman

Activity: 372
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 02:55:53 PM

Once configured, we can free up the laptop so the SC can go headless, right?
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 03:10:15 PM

Once configured, we can free up the laptop so the SC can go headless, right?
No. It should be just like current Singles or Mini Rigs or any other FPGA out there, you need a PC to run the mining equipment.

stick_theman

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 03:39:39 PM

No. It should be just like current Singles or Mini Rigs or any other FPGA out there, you need a PC to run the mining equipment.

I don't understand.  Sorry.

So the Single SC will simply be a replacement for the current CPU or GPU?  the Single SC will need other components of the PC, e.g. hard drive, memory to run?

Thanks
freeAgent

Activity: 240

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 04:02:57 PM

So the Single SC will simply be a replacement for the current CPU or GPU?  the Single SC will need other components of the PC, e.g. hard drive, memory to run?

Thanks

Yes, exactly.  Think of it as a peripheral.  Like a mouse or keyboard, it's useless without being connected to a running computer.
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 04:09:56 PM

Thanks
No it's not like that. You need a working computer or a laptop to run the mining software. Then you connect the SC Single to the PC with a USB cable, like you would a USB keyboard or a flash drive.

Here is a video (not mine) of 8 Singles connected by USB to a laptop, running a mining software (BitMinter) that uses the Singles to mine.

stick_theman

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 04:40:34 PM

Thanks
Chomp

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 06:54:35 PM

A cheap low powered netbook will work well for this. You dont need a lot of cpu power and 2gb ram is plenty. Connect to a usb hub if you need more ports.
freeAgent

Activity: 240

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 07:34:28 PM

A cheap low powered netbook will work well for this. You dont need a lot of cpu power and 2gb ram is plenty. Connect to a usb hub if you need more ports.

Some people are even using Raspberry Pis with FPGA.  I would think that they should theoretically be able to handle the ASICs as well: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=69183.msg919685#msg919685
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 07:51:35 PM

Some people are even using Raspberry Pis with FPGA.  I would think that they should theoretically be able to handle the ASICs as well: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=69183.msg919685#msg919685

I think this is my favorite tho.  Grin

stick_theman

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 11:58:19 PM

I understand we haven't seen the design yet.  If we were going to use the laptop, how many USB ports do we need?  Each SC will take a USB port?!  Can we join SCs together?
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 03:52:00 AM

I understand we haven't seen the design yet.  If we were going to use the laptop, how many USB ports do we need?  Each SC will take a USB port?!  Can we join SCs together?

Each SC Single will most likely use 1 USB port. They don't use a lot of bandwidth, so using any USB hub will work just fine to connect several SC Singles to one laptop.

Paladin69

Activity: 784

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 05:58:51 AM

They are just external devices that plug into USB ports.

The FPGA mini-rig needs two USB ports.  What I'm wondering is how many will be needed for 1,000GH rigs?  Seems like a lot of data to be passing thru.
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 06:25:52 AM

The FPGA mini-rig needs two USB ports.  What I'm wondering is how many will be needed for 1,000GH rigs?  Seems like a lot of data to be passing thru.
The BFL MR uses 2 USB ports because it is actually using an average of 18 FPGA modules, that are all controlled via USB. There are 2 USB hubs inside the MR, and each hub has one of the cables you mentioned. It is unknown how many ASIC chips a 1TH unit will have, and likely won't be known until someone here on the forums gets one and takes it apart.

It's actually not a lot of data, from what I've read here on the forums. The data sent to/from the computer to the miner is very small, so the USB bandwidth is nowhere near its max limits.

Desolator

Activity: 392

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 03:48:56 AM

You would need somewhere in the neighborhood of 2500 of them PLUS also magic if you want them to be profitable, as ASICs are about to be released that are 8.75x faster at approximately the same power level (everyone assumes).
Fking (OP)

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 06:56:01 PM

Good to know, i thought they will be stand alone units.
Does anybody know if they will require cooling? eg will they have fan noise? And what would be the physical dimensions of the new singles...?

I have a spare galaxy S3, would be pretty cool if i can connect them to that and run the mining proggie on it... :>
Desolator

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 07:57:11 PM

I believe the specs say they'll use a very similar casing as the FPGA single which has a top-mounted fan.  I think it's even a super silent Effizio Silenx red series fan if I remember correctly.  So they're basically self contained units that monitor and run themselvs with their own power indicators and cooling and all that.
Fking (OP)

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 01:28:33 PM

so, they will be quite small? that's good.
What's the noise level?
Desolator

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 01:43:17 PM

Okay, I was assuming it was this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835226034
which is a mere 15 dba!  Silenx claims it's beyond human hearing capability Tongue But unfortunaetly I must be thinking of another manufacturer's device because this pic:

Seems to indicate that they're using unbelievably crappy, low quality, cheap fans.  I carry those at my shop and they suck!  They're loud, they break a lot, and I hate them.  So they spend a fortune on copper heatsinks and then can't spend an extra couple bucks to get a good fan, wow.
BFL says the current single from them runs at 32db btw so that's probably similar to the new ones.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: