Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 11:17:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin trading strategy  (Read 13704 times)
Harry Hood

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 05:52:32 PM

Not that Im pessimist in BTC , just that people should learn that it is not a guarantee that the value will increase overtime , best thing would be earning from its movement aka daily trading

P.S : buying and holding BTC isnt really trading but somewhat it is long term investment

Buying and holding isn't trading at all - it's buying, and errr holding. There's nothing "somewhat" about the long term investment part, that's exactly what it is.

So what's been your history and success with trading BTC? There's been such little movement recently, I wonder if you've been able to make some plays that have really paid off.

Good luck!

arallmuus
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1414

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2015, 07:30:36 PM

Not that Im pessimist in BTC , just that people should learn that it is not a guarantee that the value will increase overtime , best thing would be earning from its movement aka daily trading

P.S : buying and holding BTC isnt really trading but somewhat it is long term investment

So what's been your history and success with trading BTC?
-snip-

Good luck!

I am decent on it I guess but I was a day trader like a year ago ( or about 8-10 months ago) mostly in btc-e and huobi but not anymore, I am now enjoying my life gambling with it now instead Wink .

There's been such little movement recently, I wonder if you've been able to make some plays that have really paid off.

Actually there is quite a decent movement and the price decline again just few hours ago which you can check here https://bitcoinwisdom.com/markets/huobi/btccny. If this small up and downs isnt a movement than I dont know what is . You could have profitted from all this small movements but most people are looking for big movement instead since small movement will earn them a little only .

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 08:05:02 AM

Buying and holding isn't trading at all - it's buying, and errr holding. There's nothing "somewhat" about the long term investment part, that's exactly what it is.

So what's been your history and success with trading BTC? There's been such little movement recently, I wonder if you've been able to make some plays that have really paid off.

Good luck!

so if you don't sell you are not trading? buying and holding with the aim of selling at some point(you see you will actually sell later), is a trading strategy, a long-terms ones

selling and buying can also be called an investment, a short term investment, actually they belong to the same class, one is fast the other is slow
Borisz

Activity: 476
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 09:11:36 AM

Good luck!

so if you don't sell you are not trading? buying and holding with the aim of selling at some point(you see you will actually sell later), is a trading strategy, a long-terms ones

selling and buying can also be called an investment, a short term investment, actually they belong to the same class, one is fast the other is slow

I would say it kind of depends on how long you are planning to hold on to your BTC (asset). I mean if you are planning to sell in 10 years, I agree it is trading in some extent. However at the same time, can you call something "trading" that involves a single trade in 10 years?  Tongue

I think holding is simply an investment in an asset or stock with the hope that it's price will go up. wait..which then makes BTC a "company" where we are the shareholders.  Shocked Grin
arallmuus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2015, 11:07:59 AM

I would say it kind of depends on how long you are planning to hold on to your BTC (asset). I mean if you are planning to sell in 10 years, I agree it is trading in some extent. However at the same time, can you call something "trading" that involves a single trade in 10 years?  Tongue

I think holding is simply an investment in an asset or stock with the hope that it's price will go up. wait..which then makes BTC a "company" where we are the shareholders.  Shocked Grin

This is what exactly I meant, I should have posted this in a better sentences so that people could get what I exactly meant. Most people do think that buying now and keeping it , hoping it to goes up by $10 next month/year and sell it is consider as trading but the fact that it is not, it is more to like putting investment in BTC

Actually selling and buying activity doesnt count as investment but is a trading activity. Investment is more or less into keeping things for long period of time hoping that the value of it could be better by the time . While trading is somehow different, most people that hold BTC doesnt even bother when the price is lower by 1 % of the value when they bought it and keep on hoping that the value will go uo in a few weeks ahead but as a trader this will bother you

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 01:56:14 PM

This 10'000$ dream is cool, problem is you have no way of knowing if it will ever get there. I'm not saying it cannot/won't, but do you know for sure that it will? Otherwise you will be sitting on a bunch of coins, not doing anything with them, just to find out that in 10 years it is worth the same.

Some people are living in their own delusional dream (cant really blame them though), probably driven by that BTC once reached $1200 and may reach another high peak again someday. The bolded part will be a good scenario if it really happen or the people holding and hoping it to reach $10,000 will be sitting with a worthless BTC in 10 years

The marketcap of Bitcoin is extremely low. If you look other marketcaps of other disrupting tech such as the simple uber one, you'll see how tiny the marketcap for Bitcoin is and how the space to grow is insanely big. People has a problem of a mix of putting things into perspective and not being able to be patient.
Of course you shouldn't sit on 1 BTC and do nothing with your time, you should actively try to grow your stack in any means possible.
Borisz

Activity: 476
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 02:26:17 PM

This 10'000$ dream is cool, problem is you have no way of knowing if it will ever get there. I'm not saying it cannot/won't, but do you know for sure that it will? Otherwise you will be sitting on a bunch of coins, not doing anything with them, just to find out that in 10 years it is worth the same.

Some people are living in their own delusional dream (cant really blame them though), probably driven by that BTC once reached $1200 and may reach another high peak again someday. The bolded part will be a good scenario if it really happen or the people holding and hoping it to reach $10,000 will be sitting with a worthless BTC in 10 years

The marketcap of Bitcoin is extremely low. If you look other marketcaps of other disrupting tech such as the simple uber one, you'll see how tiny the marketcap for Bitcoin is and how the space to grow is insanely big. People has a problem of a mix of putting things into perspective and not being able to be patient.
Of course you shouldn't sit on 1 BTC and do nothing with your time, you should actively try to grow your stack in any means possible.

I would say this is only true if you are looking at 1 BTC as the base unit. However if you follow the argument, which is often brought that BTC can be divided infinitely, then we have an infinite market cap. (or rather self-defined)
arallmuus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2015, 03:16:27 PM

To be honest, marketcap has less thing to do with trading anyway. It is not about the marketcap will grow few years later or the value will increase after the halving or whatsoever but it is about the movement of the price, the fluctuation of each price .

Even if BTC value were to fall into 1 cent / BTC if there is still a movement in this then BTC is worth to be used for trading , however even if we see $1000 / BTC but if the value is constant without any movement at all then it cant be traded at all (unless someone or few people manipulate it to make it looks fluctuative)

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
Dotakels

Activity: 490
Merit: 255

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 08:17:03 AM

To be honest, marketcap has less thing to do with trading anyway. It is not about the marketcap will grow few years later or the value will increase after the halving or whatsoever but it is about the movement of the price, the fluctuation of each price .

Even if BTC value were to fall into 1 cent / BTC if there is still a movement in this then BTC is worth to be used for trading , however even if we see $1000 / BTC but if the value is constant without any movement at all then it cant be traded at all (unless someone or few people manipulate it to make it looks fluctuative)
But if the value of bitcoin will drop in cents. Many users will not using bitcoin because of its value and many will disappoint when its happened.
arallmuus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2015, 08:38:29 AM

But if the value of bitcoin will drop in cents. Many users will not using bitcoin because of its value and many will disappoint when its happened.

It is not about the value or the usage of BTC to begin with. It doesnt actually important in trading, whats important is the movement of it and that is where trader got its profit and not about millions of people to use it. Of course it will be useless for trader if there isnt any movement eventhough millions of people use it or the mass adoption is happening though

Why would you not want to use it if the value were to fall into cents (which is unlikely) ? The feature as well as the technology stays the same even if the value gonna drop in the future anyway. BTC is still BTC despite the value drop or crash but ofcourse most people will jump out of the sinking ship

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
Dotakels

View Profile
June 10, 2015, 06:16:50 AM

It is not about the value or the usage of BTC to begin with. It doesnt actually important in trading, whats important is the movement of it and that is where trader got its profit and not about millions of people to use it. Of course it will be useless for trader if there isnt any movement eventhough millions of people use it or the mass adoption is happening though

Why would you not want to use it if the value were to fall into cents (which is unlikely) ? The feature as well as the technology stays the same even if the value gonna drop in the future anyway. BTC is still BTC despite the value drop or crash but ofcourse most people will jump out of the sinking ship
But if you will notice that people want more money and they not contended on what they have or how much they can earn. They want more and they don't like a small value for a long time.
arallmuus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2015, 09:40:07 AM

But if you will notice that people want more money and they not contended on what they have or how much they can earn. They want more and they don't like a small value for a long time.

Ofcourse having a higher value will benefit trader more and would attract more people into it which in this case every movement would net a higher profit for traderif you would compare it to cents but my point would be that even if the value were to drop, the technology stands.
The reality is that most people are only tied to its value, when the value drop then most people will assume that it is dead .Most people are not even aware of this but the true value of BTC were in its technology and also its decentralized principle

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
btcjoin14

Activity: 891
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 06:01:34 PM

for trading everyone needs to become more familiar with market operations and the tendencies . Be careful, especially if you are a speculator rather than a bitcoin user.
Dotakels

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 06:07:29 AM

Ofcourse having a higher value will benefit trader more and would attract more people into it which in this case every movement would net a higher profit for traderif you would compare it to cents but my point would be that even if the value were to drop, the technology stands.
The reality is that most people are only tied to its value, when the value drop then most people will assume that it is dead .Most people are not even aware of this but the true value of BTC were in its technology and also its decentralized principle
Yeah you can say that the value of bitcoin is low but if you keep it from your wallet and wait the value of bitcoin will go high so that you can't say that bitcoin is dead or its worthless
arallmuus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2015, 08:35:03 AM

but if you keep it from your wallet and wait the value of bitcoin will go high

You dont keep your BTC in your wallet if you are trading it. Thats a fatal mistake because once the price rally, it will takes sometime for your BTC to reach the exchanger and thus you wont be able to sell it at the peak point( of course this is debatable with so many exchangers were hacked ).

for trading everyone needs to become more familiar with market operations and the tendencies .

Untrue, in BTC trading the most thing that people need to learn is to distinguish a bullish or a bearish because the current market is heavily manipulated and unless you know how to distinguish this then it stands harder for you to get quite a profit in the current market

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
freeyourmind

Activity: 364
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 08:37:34 AM

Yeah you can say that the value of bitcoin is low but if you keep it from your wallet and wait the value of bitcoin will go high so that you can't say that bitcoin is dead or its worthless

I think arallmuus is saying that it's the volatility in the price that attracts traders.  Investors in bitcoin may want more value and a higher price, but I would think traders are just making a bet on the direction the price is going to go in the future.
arallmuus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2015, 09:40:15 PM

I think arallmuus is saying that it's the volatility in the price that attracts traders. 

Yes I did and thats the truth. None will be attracted to it if the value is stagnant and there isnt any movement

but I would think traders are just making a bet on the direction the price is going to go in the future.

Seriously no, you could say that most trader are gamblers as well but the fact it isnt. Trader do "make a bet" about the movement of the value but only if there is a "sign" of the movement which someone could see from several point.
The several crucial will be number of buy and sell order, volume for X hours and also activities from the other exchanger ( it isnt good just to relly on 1 exchangers chart ) also that basically a chartist would be able to pinpoint the rough direction of where the next movement will be which makes trader take action to "bet" on this movement and not just a "blind bet" without knowing where it will go

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
knowhow

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 10:02:48 PM

I think arallmuus is saying that it's the volatility in the price that attracts traders. 

Yes I did and thats the truth. None will be attracted to it if the value is stagnant and there isnt any movement

but I would think traders are just making a bet on the direction the price is going to go in the future.

Seriously no, you could say that most trader are gamblers as well but the fact it isnt. Trader do "make a bet" about the movement of the value but only if there is a "sign" of the movement which someone could see from several point.
The several crucial will be number of buy and sell order, volume for X hours and also activities from the other exchanger ( it isnt good just to relly on 1 exchangers chart ) also that basically a chartist would be able to pinpoint the rough direction of where the next movement will be which makes trader take action to "bet" on this movement and not just a "blind bet" without knowing where it will go

well about bitcoin worth no one can say where it can go tomorrow or end month.... its impossible to know where it will stand ,at the moment the worth can easy raise ,there is a lot interest to bitcoin stays at the values of 250 dollars above it will happen when the fiat money on circle would become more the offer.... this is basic knowledge the buy and offer wall affects the price as the world interest
freeyourmind

Activity: 364
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 10:04:56 PM

Yeah I wasn't suggesting that there is no due diligence or research behind the bet.  I use the word "bet" because there is a certain amount of risk and uncertainty with the choice, while choosing the direction that will make a profit.  Some people are great at betting, but it's still a bet.
arallmuus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2015, 10:18:42 PM

well about bitcoin worth no one can say where it can go tomorrow or end month
-snip-

From your statement, I could know that you are not a trader. Yes "no one could know" is a pretty general statement there and it doesnt stand in trading. If you are delusioning yourself with "no one could know" statement then it is better for you to stay away from trading  Smiley

It is not about tomorrow anyway. People are called daytrader because they are doing it consecutively in one day, taking positiong now and sell it minutes later for a few cents profit , yes it is few cents profit / BTC but daytrader do rinse and repeat this cycle daily thus this gain them profit.

Yeah I wasn't suggesting that there is no due diligence or research behind the bet.  I use the word "bet" because there is a certain amount of risk and uncertainty with the choice, while choosing the direction that will make a profit.  Some people are great at betting, but it's still a bet.

Everything is risky and uncertain to begin with i.e you are saving your money or buy some stuff in fact that you dont even know that you will be alive tomorrow, so you are taking a bet as well ? No it isnt

P.S : above is just an example that everything is uncertain and trader are not "betting" it is so much different in many aspect between a gambler and a trader

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x