Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:06:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Option "track/follow user"  (Read 1201 times)
ajareselde (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 06:16:00 AM

Is it possible, or better yet, did anyone else feel that there is need for such a thing? I often find myself in need of such an option, instead of just making
dozens of user profile bookmarks in my browser, and then reading up their posts from there..

I think option to track user (all his posts/threads) would be appreciated amung many members.

cheers

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2015, 08:53:51 AM

It is suggested in New Forum Software. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=976114.0

I support this.

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2015, 09:07:32 AM

It is suggested in New Forum Software. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=976114.0

I support this.
Indeed, there is function that enables us to track users. I don't see much benefits besides trying to track down spammers, unless people like to stalk others (?).
Although this would be very useful for tracking someone like Danny and reading his magnificent posts.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
ajareselde (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 09:11:42 AM

I support this.

Thanks for the response, however are those features hard to add ? It seams that this "new forum software" is never going to be added, it would be much
better if tweaks and modifications are made on this old forum software, atleast until new one is ready.

Indeed, there is function that enables us to track users. I don't see much benefits besides trying to track down spammers, unless people like to stalk others (?).
Although this would be very useful for tracking someone like Danny and reading his magnificent posts.

Trying to track down spammers and scammers was my original idea behind this feature.

cheers
erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2015, 10:39:41 AM

You want to be notified via email about dozens of users? That will just spam your inbox with such notifications and I don't see any good use of having this feature.

Astargath

Activity: 1624
Merit: 645

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 10:58:35 AM

If you know someone is a scammer or a spammer why not just report him immediately to the admins, obviously if you know he is a spammer its because he has already spammed enough to be considered a spammer, there is no point in waiting for him to spam more to report him

\\\\\...COIN.....
...CURB...
         ▄▄▄████████████▄▄▄
      ▄██████████████████████▄
    ▄█████▀▀▀          ▀▀▀█████▄
   ████▀      █████▄▄       ▀████
  ████        ██   ▀██        ████
 ████         ██    ██         ████
▐███▌         ██▄▄▄██▀         ▐███▌
▐███▌         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▐███▌
▐███▌         ████████         ▐███▌
 ████            ██            ████
  ████           ██           ████
   ████▄         ██         ▄████
    ▀█████▄▄▄          ▄▄▄█████▀
      ▀██████████████████████▀
         ▀▀▀████████████▀▀▀
........NEWS, UPDATES, & ICO'S........
...FROM ALL THE PROJECTS YOU LOVE...
▄▄█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████▀     ██  ██  ██     ▀██▀     ██      ██     ▀██  ██     ▀██     █████████████
█████████████  ██████  ██  ██  ██  ██  ██████  ██████  ██  ██  ██  ██  ██  ████████████████
█████████████▄    ▀██  ██  ██  ▀▀  ██▄    ▀██  ██████  ▀▀  ██  ██  ▀▀  ██     █████████████
█████████████████  ██  ██  ██  ██  ██████  ██  ██████  ▄  ▀██  ██  ██  ██  ████████████████
█████████████     ▄██▄    ▄██  ▀▀ ▄██     ▄██      ██  ██  ██  ██  ▀▀ ▄██     █████████████
 ▀▀█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀

▄▄█████████▄▄
   ▄███▀▀     ▀▀███▄
  ███             ███
 ███               ███
▐██   ▐█▄   ▄███▄   ██▌
██▌    ███▄██████▀  ▐██
██▌    ▐████████    ▐██
▐██     ▐██████     ██▌
 ███   ▀█████▀     ███
  ███             ███
   ▀███▄▄     ▄▄███▀
     ▀▀█████████▀▀

▄▄█████████▄▄
   ▄███▀▀     ▀▀███▄
  ███             ███
 ███   ▄██████▀▄   ███
▐██   ████▀▀▀████   ██▌
██▌   ███ ███ ███   ▐██
██▌   ███ ███ ███   ▐██
▐██   ████▄▄▄████   ██▌
 ███   ▀███████▀   ███
  ███             ███
   ▀███▄▄     ▄▄███▀
     ▀▀█████████▀▀
/////
ajareselde (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 11:26:50 AM

You want to be notified via email about dozens of users? That will just spam your inbox with such notifications and I don't see any good use of having this feature.

It could be implemented to the top of the site notifications right next to watchlist, for example, there is no need for email notification aswell.

If you know someone is a scammer or a spammer why not just report him immediately to the admins, obviously if you know he is a spammer its because he has already spammed enough to be considered a spammer, there is no point in waiting for him to spam more to report him

yeah, well , it doesn't quite work that way. You need to gather info first, to prove someone is trying to scam, and that involves a lot of time, especially when you have to manually go through dozen of users each day.
It's one thing to have indication of scam, it's completely another to actually prove it beyond reasonable doubt.

cheers
Muhammed Zakir

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2015, 11:48:10 AM

Who said this is for tracking spammers and scammers? Like LaudaM said, Danny, there are are also other users such as DeathAndTaxes and gmaxwell whose posts are great to read. Please don't turn this to a scammer/spammer hunting feature.

Astargath

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 12:01:40 PM

Who said this is for tracking spammers and scammers? Like LaudaM said, Danny, there are are also other users such as DeathAndTaxes and gmaxwell whose posts are great to read. Please don't turn this to a scammer/spammer hunting feature.

OP did: ''Trying to track down spammers and scammers was my original idea behind this feature. cheers'' Right above a few posts. Besides what would this feature be for if not for that?

\\\\\...COIN.....
...CURB...
         ▄▄▄████████████▄▄▄
      ▄██████████████████████▄
      ▀██████████████████████▀
         ▀▀▀████████████▀▀▀
▄▄█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄
█████████████▀     ██  ██  ██     ▀██▀     ██      ██     ▀██  ██     ▀██     █████████████
█████████████  ██████  ██  ██  ██  ██  ██████  ██████  ██  ██  ██  ██  ██  ████████████████
█████████████▄    ▀██  ██  ██  ▀▀  ██▄    ▀██  ██████  ▀▀  ██  ██  ▀▀  ██     █████████████
█████████████████  ██  ██  ██  ██  ██████  ██  ██████  ▄  ▀██  ██  ██  ██  ████████████████
█████████████     ▄██▄    ▄██  ▀▀ ▄██     ▄██      ██  ██  ██  ██  ▀▀ ▄██     █████████████
 ▀▀█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀

▄▄█████████▄▄
   ▄███▀▀     ▀▀███▄
  ███             ███
 ███               ███
▐██   ▐█▄   ▄███▄   ██▌
██▌    ███▄██████▀  ▐██
██▌    ▐████████    ▐██
▐██     ▐██████     ██▌
 ███   ▀█████▀     ███
  ███             ███
   ▀███▄▄     ▄▄███▀
     ▀▀█████████▀▀

▄▄█████████▄▄
   ▄███▀▀     ▀▀███▄
  ███             ███
 ███   ▄██████▀▄   ███
▐██   ████▀▀▀████   ██▌
██▌   ███ ███ ███   ▐██
██▌   ███ ███ ███   ▐██
▐██   ████▄▄▄████   ██▌
 ███   ▀███████▀   ███
  ███             ███
   ▀███▄▄     ▄▄███▀
     ▀▀█████████▀▀
/////
Muhammed Zakir

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2015, 12:24:34 PM

OP did: ''Trying to track down spammers and scammers was my original idea behind this feature. cheers'' Right above a few posts. Besides what would this feature be for if not for that?

this would be very useful for tracking someone like Danny and reading his magnificent posts.

ajareselde (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 01:21:30 PM

this would be very useful for tracking someone like Danny and reading his magnificent posts.

Let's just agree that it would have multiple purposes, both for keeping up with the good and the bad guys.
And it's downsides are none, as far as i see it, unless someone really thinks people would want to stalk someone here..
CrackedLogic
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 01:44:34 PM

If this feature is to be enabled, there must be a feature or a setting that blocks users from tracking or following you.
I can see this being a feature used my staff,mods and admins.

Shocked BUY GAMESWITHBTCITCOINFORDISCOUNTEDPRICES Shocked
ajareselde (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 01:53:48 PM

If this feature is to be enabled, there must be a feature or a setting that blocks users from tracking or following you.

Why in the world would that be needed ? I can see all your posts anyways, and this would just make it easier and less time consuming.
There is no legitimate reason why anyone would need "a feature or a setting that blocks users from tracking or following you." , if you have nothing to hide, that is.

cheers
CrackedLogic
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 01:58:54 PM

Why in the world would that be needed ? I can see all your posts anyways, and this would just make it easier and less time consuming.
There is no legitimate reason why anyone would need "a feature or a setting that blocks users from tracking or following you." , if you have nothing to hide, that is.

cheers

I have nothing to hide, it's just that I don't want users "stalking" me when it's not needed. I don't like knowing that there is a chance of people following me around when I do something. It's just my personal preference, although you can see my posts, I feel a little bit more safer? I like my privacy. If you know what I mean. I'm horrible at explaining.

ajareselde (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 02:06:18 PM

I have nothing to hide, it's just that I don't want users "stalking" me when it's not needed. I don't like knowing that there is a chance of people following me around when I do something. It's just my personal preference, although you can see my posts, I feel a little bit more safer? I like my privacy. If you know what I mean. I'm horrible at explaining.

I do understand what you are saying, but i fail to see logic behind it, and at this point ill stop even trying, because it makes zero sense, to me atleast.

cheers
Astargath

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 02:12:53 PM

I do understand what you are saying, but i fail to see logic behind it, and at this point ill stop even trying, because it makes zero sense, to me atleast.

cheers

I think he means a tool to block someone and make that someone not be able to see his posts never again?? I dont know how that would work and it would be kind of stupid but i think thats what he means

\\\\\...COIN.....
...CURB...
         ▄▄▄████████████▄▄▄
      ▄██████████████████████▄
      ▀██████████████████████▀
         ▀▀▀████████████▀▀▀

▄▄█████████▄▄
   ▄███▀▀     ▀▀███▄
  ███             ███
 ███               ███
▐██   ▐█▄   ▄███▄   ██▌
██▌    ███▄██████▀  ▐██
██▌    ▐████████    ▐██
▐██     ▐██████     ██▌
 ███   ▀█████▀     ███
  ███             ███
   ▀███▄▄     ▄▄███▀
     ▀▀█████████▀▀

▄▄█████████▄▄
   ▄███▀▀     ▀▀███▄
  ███             ███
 ███   ▄██████▀▄   ███
▐██   ████▀▀▀████   ██▌
██▌   ███ ███ ███   ▐██
██▌   ███ ███ ███   ▐██
▐██   ████▄▄▄████   ██▌
 ███   ▀███████▀   ███
  ███             ███
   ▀███▄▄     ▄▄███▀
     ▀▀█████████▀▀
/////
CrackedLogic
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 02:15:20 PM

cheers

I think he means a tool to block someone and make that someone not be able to see his posts never again?? I dont know how that would work and it would be kind of stupid but i think thats what he means
No. Basically I don't people having easy access to being able to watch over me.

Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 02:20:31 PM

cheers

I don't think that would be a good idea. Someone could easily get around this by simply using an alt account to receive tracking notifications. You don't even need to be logged in to see posts.

I think scammers would likely use this feature to avoid people noticing that they are attempting to scam (the same could be said about spammers)
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2015, 02:40:15 PM

cheers

I don't think that would be a good idea. Someone could easily get around this by simply using an alt account to receive tracking notifications. You don't even need to be logged in to see posts.

I think scammers would likely use this feature to avoid people noticing that they are attempting to scam (the same could be said about spammers)

And those that use shills to follow others round the forums abusing them. I don't think the potential benefits of this feature outweigh the possible abuse.

erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2015, 02:58:03 PM

Like the Block feature of Twitter?

This is an open forum and not to keep user's posts private or support privacy. In case of Twitter, it seems necessary to prevent bashers/bashing comments while it's not a necessity on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: