Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 01:31:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Closed] BLP 0.6 PPC Project Redesign  (Read 1500 times)
dreamwatcher (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 11:58:35 AM
Last edit: September 10, 2012, 05:02:26 PM by dreamwatcher

**Since the official BTC client has now been successfully ported to PPcoin and my basic design was put together in an effort to give PPC a fast GUI interface, I am going to go in a different direction with this project and restart the design from the ground up. Various issues with exceptions and other issues also led to this decision.

The project is still alive, but with some different foundations in the design principal. Now that the urgency for a PPCoin GUI client is gone, timetables have been relaxed.**

Thank you to all that have tried the client, feel free to use it and recycle any of the code you want.

This is my first public programming effort I have made in years, so please be gentle.. Wink

BLP Wallet (BTC/LTC/PPC = BLP) will eventually be a client for all three coins. The goal is to have a client that can hot-swap between any of the three daemons, with almost all of the commands available for use through the GUI.
As of now, the program is in its very early beta stage and only PPC has been programmed.
Version .6

1. BLP now uses the RPC/JSON interface for the daemon. Information retrieval is almost instant. Wallet encryption functions are still done by activating a second daemon instance.
2. Checks for default PPCoin location (32 and 64 bit). Checks for the PPCoin.conf file (Server=1 , rpc password & rpc user)
3. Wallet encryption functions now under the functions/options form.
4. More commenting in the source files
5. More checks to avoid crashing
6. Removed the unused database from the publish. Hopefully the install will no longer require installing all the .net database files.
7. I have added a 8-10 second delay after starting the daemon, this works in most cases. However if the daemon starts slow for whatever reason it can lead to issues including exception errors and strange responses from the daemon.
8. Shrunk the size of the main window.

Features Available:
1. Main screen as pictured with Refresh button and Auto refresh (every 30 seconds)
2. Coin Send is for everyday transfers with receive account and amount entry fields.
3. Full option send is for dictating which address (account) to send from, as well as inter-account transfers through the move function in the daemon.
4. Transactions List - Just a basic daemon transactions output
5. Functions/options – Wallet encryption is now available here- Be aware for mining the wallet either needs to be unencrypted or a special switch used in the "walletpassphrase" command used:

"walletpassphrase <passphrase> <timeout> [mintonly]\ nStores the wallet decryption key in memory for <timeout> seconds.\nmintonly is optional true/false allowing only block minting."

Missing Features:
1. Address book beyond the accounts controlled by the local wallet. Both  coin send and full option send have an address book on the top. In the coin send the control is blank, in the full option send the wallet accounts(that it controls/has private keys) are listed. Just click on the entries and they will appear in the send/receive boxes.

2. All the other commands available that are not heard of or used very often.

Other immediate goals:

1. I have figured out the RPC/JSON commands for the database functions for wallet.dat. They are a bit odd in implantation, but is the next step in this project.

2. Make more mundane tasks, like changing colors,fonts etc...  Available

3. I am still not happy with the shutdown of the daemon. Please remember to wait about 10 seconds before closing and opening the client back up.

Plus MANY MANY MORE.....

Install:

Just run the blp06setup file, and it will have its own copy of the PPcoin daemon locally.
One will still need to setup the ppcoin.conf file in the apps data directory according to the PPcoin setup instructions.
Daemon setup file also included.

Download At:
http://www.hartlandpc.com/blp06.zip

It can be found under "Hartland PC" under your start menu.

I also want feedback on the idea of the project in general.

Do you think it should just stay a PPC client or do you think the idea of an all-in-one client is worth developing?

Do you think I am just full of crap and think the whole idea is terrible?   Cheesy

Rubberduckie
Legendary

Activity: 1442

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 12:44:20 PM

Looks promising

I'll give it a go Smiley

luffy

Activity: 607
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 04:22:53 PM

the idea of "all into one" is great!
Vorksholk
Legendary

Activity: 1713
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 10:28:53 PM

Awesome, someone's putting my logo to good use Smiley

VeriBlock: Securing The World's Blockchains Using Bitcoin
https://veriblock.org
jjshabadoo

Activity: 535

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 01:22:49 AM

is this using the ppcoin 2.0 software ?
legolouman

Activity: 504

Decent Programmer to boot!

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 01:28:39 AM

This has potential. Will each chain have its own daemon running in the end? I don't normally use an alternate wallet, but it needs to use the daemon in case there is an urgent update or something. Do you think it could be possible to let the user add more blockchains? Considering most chains use commands similar to BTC's protocol, I imagine it can't be too hard. Just a thought. I really like what you are doing.

If you love me, you'd give me a Satoshi!
BTC - 1MSzGKh5znbrcEF2qTrtrWBm4ydH5eT49f
LTC - LYeJrmYQQvt6gRQxrDz66XTwtkdodx9udz
dreamwatcher (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2012, 07:01:17 AM
Last edit: September 08, 2012, 07:19:22 AM by dreamwatcher

is this using the ppcoin 2.0 software ?

This has potential. Will each chain have its own daemon running in the end? I don't normally use an alternate wallet, but it needs to use the daemon in case there is an urgent update or something. Do you think it could be possible to let the user add more blockchains? Considering most chains use commands similar to BTC's protocol, I imagine it can't be too hard. Just a thought. I really like what you are doing.

Yes PPcoin 2.0 is what is being used and what is included in the package.

At this time I see no reason why the daemons could not run at the same time, as I do that now with the standard clients with BTC and LTC. Hot swapping is definitely one of my goals.

****The next release is going to be a big step forward as the client will use JSON to communicate with the daemon rather then opening a new daemon with commands and parameters to communicate with the primary instance of the daemon. I am experiencing near instant information retrievals when using the in house beta.*******

I have also shrunk the size of the primary windows as not to be so obnoxious... Grin

I am have having one issue with the JSON command set. When issuing a "walletpassphrase" command with the pass and time, I receive a "error 500" exception. I receive the same error when attempting to send from an encrypted wallet without unlocking it first. Originally I caught that exception and used it as the indicator that a wallet was encrypted and needed to be unlocked to send. But I cannot get the daemon to accept the "Walletpassphrase" command through JSON. I noticed it was one of the couple of commands new to the PPCoin daemon.

Edit: Sorry Sunny, late night, I see that it is in the original API spec.

If anybody has any clue, please let me know. I would really hate resorting to calling a new PPCoin daemon instance just for this one command.

jjshabadoo

Activity: 535

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 02:42:50 PM

So as long I download this to a mining rig I should only have to change username and password in the conf file and I'm good to go for mining ?
dreamwatcher (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2012, 03:05:08 PM

So as long I download this to a mining rig I should only have to change username and password in the conf file and I'm good to go for mining ?

You do not need this client to mine. The client is only a GUI front end to the PPcoin daemon, as at this time the official PPcoin package is command line only.

You can download the official daemon at http://sourceforge.net/projects/ppcoin/files/

For mining , the PPcoin daemon sets up pretty much the same as BTC daemon.

After setting up the daemon you will need to setup a RPC username and password in the PPcoin.conf file, which will be located in the PPcoin folder in the same directory where Bitcoin and Litecoin place their folders (users\(your windows username)\appdata\roaming).

Start daemon up and point your miner to 127.0.0.1:9902 if you are running the miner on the same computer as the daemon.Same as a BTC setup except the port is 9902.

Official website is at: http://www.ppcoin.org/ and there is plenty of information in Sunny's official thread:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=101820.0

Sunny King
Legendary

Activity: 1205
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2012, 03:59:16 PM

I am have having one issue with the JSON command set. When issuing a "walletpassphrase" command with the pass and time, I receive a "error 500" exception. I receive the same error when attempting to send from an encrypted wallet without unlocking it first. Originally I caught that exception and used it as the indicator that a wallet was encrypted and needed to be unlocked to send. But I cannot get the daemon to accept the "Walletpassphrase" command through JSON. I noticed it was one of the couple of commands new to the PPCoin daemon.

If anybody has any clue, please let me know. I would really hate resorting to calling a new PPCoin daemon instance just for this one command.

The walletpassphrase command only has a small change from Bitcoin, with an additional optional flag to only mint block. I am using it on commandline myself so it should be working. I assume it works when you do it with ppcoind but not via json?
dreamwatcher (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 08:58:28 PM

The walletpassphrase command only has a small change from Bitcoin, with an additional optional flag to only mint block. I am using it on commandline myself so it should be working. I assume it works when you do it with ppcoind but not via json?

It appears this is a problem will all the daemons based on the original BTC daemon. I have not found a JSON based workaround, so for now the wallet encryption commands are calling out a second daemon instance to execute.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: