Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 02:18:47 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Tsarnaev Given Death Penalty in Boston Marathon Bombing  (Read 896 times)
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 02:19:54 AM

BOSTON — Two years after bombs in two backpacks transformed the Boston Marathon from a sunny rite of spring to a smoky battlefield with bodies dismembered, a federal jury on Friday condemned Dzhokhar Tsarnaev to death for his role in the 2013 attack.

In a sweeping rejection of the defense case, the jury found that death was the appropriate punishment for six of 17 capital counts — all six related to Mr. Tsarnaev’s planting of a pressure-cooker bomb on Boylston Street, which his lawyers never disputed. Mr. Tsarnaev, 21, stood stone-faced in court, his hands folded in front of him, as the verdict was read, his lawyers standing grimly at his side.

Immediate reaction was mostly subdued.

“Happy is not the word I would use,” said Karen Brassard, who suffered grievous leg injuries in the bombing. “There’s nothing happy about having to take somebody’s life. I’m satisfied, I’m grateful that they came to that conclusion, because for me I think it was the just conclusion.”

More...http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/16/us/dzhokhar-tsarnaev-death-sentence.html?_r=0
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2015, 02:55:06 AM

There are fates worse than death.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
protokol
Legendary

Activity: 1188
Merit: 1016

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 04:48:22 AM

Death by mau mau?
Rmcdermott927
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1140

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 05:09:25 AM

BOSTON — Two years after bombs in two backpacks transformed the Boston Marathon from a sunny rite of spring to a smoky battlefield with bodies dismembered, a federal jury on Friday condemned Dzhokhar Tsarnaev to death for his role in the 2013 attack.

In a sweeping rejection of the defense case, the jury found that death was the appropriate punishment for six of 17 capital counts — all six related to Mr. Tsarnaev’s planting of a pressure-cooker bomb on Boylston Street, which his lawyers never disputed. Mr. Tsarnaev, 21, stood stone-faced in court, his hands folded in front of him, as the verdict was read, his lawyers standing grimly at his side.

Immediate reaction was mostly subdued.

“Happy is not the word I would use,” said Karen Brassard, who suffered grievous leg injuries in the bombing. “There’s nothing happy about having to take somebody’s life. I’m satisfied, I’m grateful that they came to that conclusion, because for me I think it was the just conclusion.”

More...http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/16/us/dzhokhar-tsarnaev-death-sentence.html?_r=0

Honestly, if they would let me, I would give the injection myself.  There is no place left in this world for religious radicals bent on destroying innocents.   For some reason, jihad has become fashionable and it needs to be stopped. 

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 05:14:36 AM

Tsarnaev got what he deserved. But no one is examining the root cause behind this incident. During the 1990s, the American agencies were very active in providing financial and weapon support to the Chechen rebels, in order to destabilize Russia. In due time, the rebels who were financed by the Americans turned against their sponsors, just like what happened in Afghanistan three decades ago.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2015, 07:39:44 AM
Last edit: May 16, 2015, 10:00:07 AM by TheButterZone

Death by mau mau?

A card game? LOL

Anyway, yes, when murdering pieces of shit WANT to be martyrs, why should we grant their wishes? Maybe make every single second of the rest of their lives an eternity in hell, hooked up to autonomous life support, never able to see another human being until their natural deaths decades later. "You won't die, but you won't truly be alive, either."

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
pattu1

Activity: 675
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 07:46:22 AM

When the sentence is actually carried out, there will be closure.
There are appeal provisions.

Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 3099

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2015, 07:55:16 AM

How soon will this happen?  Will taxpayers still have to pay for years of comfy incarceration as the appeal deadlines are reached?

(We don't have the death penalty in Canada)

https://nastyscam.com - featuring 13 years of OGNasty bitcoin scams     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming sooner than you think!
Mt. Gox

Activity: 350
Merit: 118

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 08:17:11 AM

If you look at the stats for those in death row, it seems unlikely that he will actually be executed:

Just three of the 74 people sentenced to death in the United States for federal crimes since 1988 have been executed. The first was Timothy McVeigh, put to death in June 2001 for killing 168 people in his 1995 attack on the federal government office building in Oklahoma City.

Other people convicted of attacks labelled as terrorist by the U.S. government, including 9/11 conspirator Zacarias Moussaoui and shoe-bomber Richard Reid, drew life prison sentences.

It also seems that the decision to actually hand down a death sentence hasn't happened (yet) since that's for the judge to decide:

The jury's decision does not mean that death is imminent for the former high school wrestler. U.S. District Judge George O'Toole will formally sentence Tsarnaev to death at a yet-to-be-scheduled hearing sometime in the next few months. Defence attorneys are likely to appeal the decision.

Dear GOD/GODS and/or anyone else who can HELP ME (e.g. MEMBERS OF SUPER-INTELLIGENT ALIEN CIVILIZATIONS): The next time I wake up, please change my physical form to that of FINN MCMILLAN of SOUTH NEW BRIGHTON at 8 YEARS OLD and keep it that way FOREVER. I am so sick of this chubby Asian man body! Thank you! - CHAUL JHIN KIM (a.k.a. A DESPERATE SOUL) P.S. If anyone is reading this then please pray for me! [ www.chauljhin.com ]
maku
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 09:25:36 AM

It took time. Tsarnaev guilty was certain and his defence didn't have too many arguments to work with.

But I'm wondering is the death penalty really a big punishment? I think that for someone who committed a cruel crime there should be something else. Maybe not tortures but heavy work in the quarries for 10 years with only water and dry bread for food. And after that period death sentence.
Mt. Gox

Activity: 350
Merit: 118

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 09:34:07 AM

It took time. Tsarnaev guilty was certain and his defence didn't have too many arguments to work with.

But I'm wondering is the death penalty really a big punishment? I think that for someone who committed a cruel crime there should be something else. Maybe not tortures but heavy work in the quarries for 10 years with only water and dry bread for food. And after that period death sentence.

Just curious but how would this scale? Does Timothy McVeigh who killed 168 people get the same punishment as Dzhokhar Tsarnaev who killed 4 people? Or does McVeigh get 168 times more heavy work than Tsaenaev (and then death)?

And what would happen if they refused to work? Would they just get a normal life sentence? Or a normal death sentence?

Feeding someone only bread and water would probably count as torture in itself since the human body can't get the nutrients it needs for survival from just bread alone. Forget 10 years. He'd be dead in 8 months.

Dear GOD/GODS and/or anyone else who can HELP ME (e.g. MEMBERS OF SUPER-INTELLIGENT ALIEN CIVILIZATIONS): The next time I wake up, please change my physical form to that of FINN MCMILLAN of SOUTH NEW BRIGHTON at 8 YEARS OLD and keep it that way FOREVER. I am so sick of this chubby Asian man body! Thank you! - CHAUL JHIN KIM (a.k.a. A DESPERATE SOUL) P.S. If anyone is reading this then please pray for me! [ www.chauljhin.com ]
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 3099

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2015, 10:57:47 AM

Don't prisoners get access to TV and the Internet in their jail cells, along with conjugal visits and other amenities such as free health care?  I've even heard of lawsuits against the prisons when the food is not restaurant quality...

https://nastyscam.com - featuring 13 years of OGNasty bitcoin scams     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming sooner than you think!
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 12:04:41 PM

There are certain drawbacks with this option. For example, some Islamic State militants might kidnap a civilian aircraft in the near future and demand the release of Tsarnaev in exchange for the safety of the passengers. The US government will be forced to release him. In order to prevent such incidents in the near future, we must make sure that he is quickly executed.
maku
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 02:04:30 PM

There are certain drawbacks with this option. For example, some Islamic State militants might kidnap a civilian aircraft in the near future and demand the release of Tsarnaev in exchange for the safety of the passengers. The US government will be forced to release him. In order to prevent such incidents in the near future, we must make sure that he is quickly executed.

You are right but I still thing that just death penalty is to light for some of them. They should somehow repay for their deeds with hard work. As for  Islamic State militants making attempts to free their companions, there are plenty of terrorists in Guantanamo but somehow nobody is trying to release them by acts of terrorism.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 04:24:40 PM

You are right but I still thing that just death penalty is to light for some of them. They should somehow repay for their deeds with hard work. As for  Islamic State militants making attempts to free their companions, there are plenty of terrorists in Guantanamo but somehow nobody is trying to release them by acts of terrorism.

If the IS terrorists fail to secure the release of their companions, then they will try other means to do so. As it has happened in the past, shady "human rights" organizations (many of them funded by unknown sources) will make a great deal of hue and cry, calling for their release. You should remember that almost all of the Guantanamo prisoners have been freed by now.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 04:59:03 PM

Indeed. Do some reading into what life is like at Florence ADX. 23 hours a day in this

1 hour in a sunken exercise pit. Human contact is kept to the absolute minimum.

If I had to choose 50-60 years of that compared to a bullet in the back of the head I'd pay for the bullet myself.
koshgel
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 09:07:01 PM

Indeed. Do some reading into what life is like at Florence ADX. 23 hours a day in this

If I had to choose 50-60 years of that compared to a bullet in the back of the head I'd pay for the bullet myself.

Well that caused me to go on a Wikipedia adventure. Kind of cool to see the types of inmates that are housed there. The warden describes it as "a cleaner version of hell"

Not very surprised with the conviction regarding Tsarnaev. The way he was charged - they were looking for the death sentence. I will be surprised if all the appeals fail and he is actually executed though.
Balthazar
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1359

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 10:08:42 PM

He has chosen the wrong country. If guy would do the same in Syria, he would receive some amount of $$$ as reward.
UliJonHoth

Activity: 281
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 10:39:39 PM

That reminds me the cell from Thomas Silverstein's drawings

I first read about his story in the book The Hot House, pretty crazy stuff - Silverstein was a member of the AB and killed a guard while housed at Marion - for that, he was sent to a special cell with 24-hr surveillance and lights that never went off. When I read about shit like that, it is kind of hard to decide if I'd rather see someone like Tsarnaev taken-out or sentenced to a hell on earth such as that - I'm with you, I'd take a slug to the head any day over that.

http://www.peteearley.com/thomas-silverstein/
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 10:48:45 PM

I first read about his story in the book The Hot House, pretty crazy stuff - Silverstein was a member of the AB and killed a guard while housed at Marion - for that, he was sent to a special cell with 24-hr surveillance and lights that never went off.

If you read up on his history post Hot House it's pretty much the case that he was the main reason ADX was built in the first place. He has his own special cell there that's even more isolated than all the other prisoners.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: