Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 07:58:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is no one uses bitcoin.com  (Read 2521 times)
Jeremycoin (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 06:37:12 PM

I'm just curious, why is nobody uses this domain --> bitcoin.com

faucet used to be profitable
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
HI-TEC99
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 2846

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 06:42:41 PM

A who.is lookup says Roger Ver owns it, although I don't know why he doesn't use it.

https://who.is/whois/https://bitcoin.com

Domain Name: BITCOIN.COM
Registry Domain ID: 1371058558_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.enom.com
Registrar URL: www.enom.com
Updated Date: 2014-05-28T09:14:14.00Z
Creation Date: 2008-01-04T14:15:00.00Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2017-01-04T14:15:00.00Z
Registrar: ENOM, INC.
Registrar IANA ID: 48
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: Email Masking Image@enom.com
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.4252982646
Reseller: NAMECHEAP.COM
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited
Registry Registrant ID:
Registrant Name: ROGER VER
Registrant Organization: WWW.MEMORYDEALERS.COM
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 06:45:54 PM

Probably no use for it? Smiley They've got to use it for something big...
moni3z

Activity: 899
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 12:44:28 AM

domain squatting probably wanting to lease it to somebody for enormous $
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3073

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2015, 02:31:28 AM

Still, while he is waiting he could do a revenue sharing agreement where someone else builds the website and they share the income.

This is like letting a nice house sit vacant while trying to sell it, instead of having renters in there.   Undecided

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 02:36:58 AM

Still, while he is waiting he could do a revenue sharing agreement where someone else builds the website and they share the income.

This is like letting a nice house sit vacant while trying to sell it, instead of having renters in there.   Undecided
Some people are rich enough that they do as they please. Maybe he doesn't want this domain to be used and he is rich enough or doesn't care about the money he can gain from it.

celestio

Activity: 770
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 02:56:03 AM

That's weird, there was a website on there for the longest time.

"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime" - Satoshi Nakamoto, June 17, 2010
moni3z

Activity: 899

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 02:56:36 AM

This is like letting a nice house sit vacant while trying to sell it, instead of having renters in there.   Undecided

Apparently Blockchain owns it http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2014/04/17/blockchain-buys-bitcoin-com-domain-name/ weird they do nothing with it

Edit: they merely leased it for 5 years from whoever orig owns it, I assume Roger Ver.
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2015, 03:19:27 AM

Maybe he would consider redirecting it to bitcoin.org while the domain is not in use?

That would seem to be more beneficial to the currency than a dead domain.
Troonetpt

Activity: 322

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 03:38:09 AM

I guess he just wait the right time to use it, or just want to sell someone who need it with a good price.
okae
Legendary

Activity: 1401
Merit: 1008

northern exposure

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2015, 08:53:55 AM

Whats the sense to buy that domain and dont use it?, just waiting to made some real&huge profit with it in a near future? dunno.

Maybe he would consider redirecting it to bitcoin.org while the domain is not in use?

agree with you 100%, if he love this community and the BTC world he should do something about it,also doing something with it is like helping to himselft ( if his purpose is to sold it later ) so i cant understand why the domain is not used atm.

IMHO #1.b of suspects, Hal Finney is/was S.N.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 09:03:52 AM

it was originally bought simply to preserve the bitcoin community and to stop scammers buying up the name and placing fake information on it or trying to extort the community.

imagine if the bank of england/bank of america bought it instead of a bitcoin community member.. imagine the propaganda the banks would write on the website to talk people out of investing in bitcoin. highlighting things like volatility and darkweb usage, etc.

im glad the majority of main bitcoin branding is in the hands of the community members

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
HI-TEC99
Legendary

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 09:14:53 AM
Last edit: December 26, 2015, 12:23:47 AM by HI-TEC99

it was originally bought simply to preserve the bitcoin community and to stop scammers buying up the name and placing fake information on it or trying to extort the community.

imagine if the bank of england/bank of america bought it instead of a bitcoin community member.. imagine the propaganda the banks would write on the website to talk people out of investing in bitcoin. highlighting things like volatility and darkweb usage, etc.

im glad the majority of main bitcoin branding is in the hands of the community members

Has he bought all the other similar names like bitcoin.org and bitcoin.co.[insert country here]? There are surprisingly few misinformation sites at the top of the search results for those sorts of names, so they must be in safe hands.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2015, 09:23:14 AM

If Amazon, the final frontier, ever accepts BTC and converts 0% of it to fiat (instead, paying BTC to all who previously got paid fiat), I'd probably point bitcoin.com there (or have a geo redirect so if you're in the UK you get sent from bitcoin.com to amazon.co.uk instead of amazon.com - unless amazon.com itself already redirects like that).

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
trafficolaa
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 09:23:32 AM

bitcoin.com is not necessary to use it, why we need to use that domain when everything working perfect as we are growing as nice community, i dont think that domain can help to skyrocket the growth so discussion about this is just feed the trolls.
SpanishSoldier

Activity: 686
Merit: 255

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 09:34:51 AM

That's weird, there was a website on there for the longest time.

The latest snapshot is from April 8th.

http://web.archive.org/web/20150408221825/http://www.bitcoin.com/

I think they are down for maintenance.
shulio
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1016

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 09:35:14 AM

Do you have any sources where I can read on this ? Bad thing about it is that the domain is sitting like a useless domain there and if he decided to sell it , the price will be very high . Anyway the domain of btc.com is in the hand of the liar Josh Garza that claimed to purchase it over 1 million USD
Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2015, 10:29:20 AM

The first thing that came to my mind is how much money the guy would have made if he decided to monetize the site. I mean, the list are endless like marketplace, trading site, exchanger or even a wiki page with ads on it. But never mind, at least I'm glad that it didn't fall into the hands of a person who would misuse it.

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2015, 11:07:20 AM

A who.is lookup says Roger Ver owns it, although I don't know why he doesn't use it.

https://who.is/whois/https://bitcoin.com

Domain Name: BITCOIN.COM
Registry Domain ID: 1371058558_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.enom.com
Registrar URL: www.enom.com

lets ask him: Roger - why  Wink ? you could do a simple website for education purpose.

thebenjamincode

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

37iGtdUJc2xXTDkw5TQZJQX1Wb98gSLYVP

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 11:23:53 AM

i thought i have visited this website before and something like a bitcoin tutorial was displayed there
coolmyrig

Activity: 323

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 12:26:57 PM

He is rich enough,no need sell it or make money with it.
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 03:02:39 PM

He is rich enough,no need sell it or make money with it.

Being rich doesn't mean he is not willing to make good money with it. He could get a decent amount with it if he decide to let some one lease it.

Same with btc.com from gaw, some one leased it till 2018. Great way of generating income out of nothing.

A lot high quality domains have not being used for years and years. Which is a shame, they could have made thousands with it.
goosoodude

Activity: 584

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 03:43:38 PM

I would agree with this, especially the part about a scammer buying the domain to be used for scamming purposes. There are a huge number of scam websites out there and someone could potentially scam for huge amounts of money if they were to own a domain like bitcoin.com. There are already enough scam sites that impersonate legit sites (like sites that pretend to be blockchain.info).

My guess is that bc.i doesn't want to have bitcoin.com redirect to bc.i to avoid creating a precedent of other domains being legit mirrors of their own site. They are probably waiting to come up with a new business venture and host it there

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 05:48:36 PM

But he may try to sell his domain name, he can sell it lot of money i think.

he should have sold it at the 1200 peak then...two thing, he don't want to sell it, because he is waiting for bitcoin to become big, or he is simply waiting for a more better price than a mere 1200

still the question stand, why he is not using it?
Jeremycoin (OP)
Legendary

𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 09:39:08 PM

i thought i have visited this website before and something like a bitcoin tutorial was displayed there

Do you mean, this one --> https://bitcoin.org/en/ or this one https://www.weusecoins.com/ ?

HI-TEC99
Legendary

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 10:03:03 PM

Do you mean, this one --> https://bitcoin.org/en/ or this one https://www.weusecoins.com/ ?

I read https://bitcoin.org/en/ when I first started learning about bitcoin, and the one thing I really wanted to know that it didn't tell me was how and where to buy them. There might be a difficult to find link to an exchange on the site, but if there is I couldn't find it.

http://bitcoin.com shows on the first page of results for a Google of "bitcoin", but I don't know why because the link leads nowhere.
MemoryDealers
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1105

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2015, 06:53:20 AM

Hi everyone,
OKCoin signed a 5 year contract to manage the domain.
There are about 4.5 years left in that contract, but I'm not sure what their current intent is.

Hopefully a much better website will be coming soon.

ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2015, 11:11:54 AM

Selling this domain name now would be a mistake IMO and the guy who owns it probably thinks the same. Especially if he bought it for dirt cheap. Bitcoin is still in its infancy, once it's properly integrated society, this domain name could be worth 1000 times what it's worth now.

LOL just noticed, the post above me is from the guy who owns the domain name ??  Shocked
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470

!! HODL !!

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 11:45:22 AM

For me, bitcoin.com domain is already re-directing to:
https://bitcoin.org/en/

I'm sure it must not be only me, though?
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 12:13:57 PM

It is now redirecting to bitcoin.org, it wasn't like this yesterday. Perhaps the owner Mr Ver has changed it due to this thread  Smiley
Cruxer

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 12:36:38 PM

wanting to lease it to somebody for enormous $
Probably as above, time will tell what will happen with this domain. Currently it points to bitcoin.org so its ok Smiley
HI-TEC99
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 03:52:20 PM

Not for me, I get a page not found error from bitcoin.com

I Googled for "bitcoin" yesterday and bitcoin.com was on the first page of results. Strangely, I Googled for it again today and it doesn't show up in the first two pages of results. Perhaps someone important noticed our discussion and decided to change things.
randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 04:31:48 PM

this domain is indeed pointed at the official bitcoin website. it doesn't make much difference as everyone knows the official site has a .org extention.
MemoryDealers
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1105

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2015, 01:01:04 AM

this domain is indeed pointed at the official bitcoin website. it doesn't make much difference as everyone knows the official site has a .org extention.

That is true for all of us,  but new people don't know.
Bitcoin.com gets tens of thousands of unique visitors each month from people who don't know anything yet,  so they go to Bitcoin.com because they figure that must be the official website for the official Bitcoin company.

celestio

Activity: 770

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 01:13:57 PM

bitcoin.com is the most valuable, then comes bitcoin.org, bitcoin.net, bitcoins.com, bitcoins.org, and bitcoins.net. Everything after that is nothing.

But yea, the amount of traffic going to bitcoin.com must be huge.

"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime" - Satoshi Nakamoto, June 17, 2010
turvarya

Activity: 714

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 01:41:36 PM

Bitcoin.com gets tens of thousands of unique visitors each month from people who don't know anything yet,  so they go to Bitcoin.com because they figure that must be the official website for the official Bitcoin company.

lol

I wondered if people are doing that: Hearing about some thingy and than just type somethingy.com in their browser to learn about it.
Obviously they do. Haven't they heard about google?

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
Jeremycoin (OP)
Legendary

𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 01:45:56 PM

lol

I wondered if people are doing that: Hearing about some thingy and than just type somethingy.com in their browser to learn about it.

Can the owner of the domain get some earnings from that visitors? Grin

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 02:01:06 PM
Last edit: May 19, 2015, 02:19:56 PM by QuestionAuthority

That is true for all of us,  but new people don't know.
Bitcoin.com gets tens of thousands of unique visitors each month from people who don't know anything yet,  so they go to Bitcoin.com because they figure that must be the official website for the official Bitcoin company.

lol

Can the owner of the domain get some earnings from that visitors? Grin

You people do realize that when you talk to MemoryDealers you are talking to Roger Ver, right? LOL

You are hearing directly from the owner of Bitcoin.com. ROFL

/thread

Angelina Jolie

Activity: 169
Merit: 10

Global Risk Exchange - gref.io

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 11:36:44 PM

Hi everyone,
OKCoin signed a 5 year contract to manage the domain.
There are about 4.5 years left in that contract, but I'm not sure what their current intent is.

Hopefully a much better website will be coming soon.

Looking at the versions that you and Star Xu have posted, it seems like both of you are correct indeed. Changpen Zhao has probably played the trick in between.

So, someone has already got the contract to build a new website ? For now, as I can see, it is going to blockchain.info new wallet page.

▐▐ █     GRE   ≣   GLOBAL RISK EXCHANGE     █ ▌▌
━━  ((     Whitepaper     |     ANN Thread     ))  ━━
Telegram     Medium     Facebook     Twitter     Github
EternalWingsofGod

Activity: 700

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 11:51:07 PM

I see a redirection to blockchain.info to create a new wallet like Angelina
I'm assuming that OKpay put a redirect for a while when they build the site it's a step up from a dead url at least.
At least new bitcoin users will know where to go to create a bitcoin wallet

sgk
Legendary

!! HODL !!

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 05:02:31 AM

There is an ongoing dispute between Roger Ver and OKCoin over Bitcoin.com Domain Name:

http://www.coindesk.com/roger-ver-and-okcoin-at-war-over-bitcoin-com-domain-name/
Jeremycoin (OP)
Legendary

𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 05:08:53 AM

There is an ongoing dispute between Roger Ver and OKCoin over Bitcoin.com Domain Name:

http://www.coindesk.com/roger-ver-and-okcoin-at-war-over-bitcoin-com-domain-name/
Under the agreement, OKCoin was set to redesign the site and pay Ver a percentage of the revenue generated each month, with a minimum of $10,000 per month.
10,000 Shocked What kind of site he want to build?

lithiumc

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 05:19:52 AM

does it really matter  ?
AGD
Legendary

Activity: 2069
Merit: 1164

Keeper of the Private Key

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 05:52:19 AM

Is it just a coincidence, that one random dude (OP) asks about bitcoin.com and at about the same time there starts a fight Roger Ver vs. OKCoin for this domain?

Bitcoin is not a bubble, it's the pin!
+++ GPG Public key FFBD756C24B54962E6A772EA1C680D74DB714D40 +++ http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1C680D74DB714D40
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 06:04:18 AM

That is something that actaully should be on a website like that.. Or maybe some youtube videos or links to some big bitcoin forums.

Leaving it like this is a waisted opportunity. Although, people will probably use google to find stuff anyway, not just randomly typing in urls.
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 06:12:54 AM

Because Roger Ver doesn't have a use for it at the moment. His best bet is just to sit on it and wait, so that in the long term - if Bitcoin gains more attention and acceptance then he can sell it to a business for a sizeable amount of money. You could see with the OKCoin fiasco that he was willing to lend it out for $120K a year - just that no one else is willing to pay enough for him to bother reaching a similar agreement with anyone else.
sgk
Legendary

!! HODL !!

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 11:25:28 AM

10,000 Shocked What kind of site he want to build?

The idea was to create an informative website about Bitcoin that can guide new users, at the same time generate revenue from advertising.
But still $10,000 a month is certainly NOT a conservative estimate.
maheshmahi

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 11:45:43 AM

That domain may b down...dis community is better than that
sgk
Legendary

!! HODL !!

View Profile
May 28, 2015, 07:18:52 AM

Interestingly, the domain now redirects to https://bitcoinmagazine.com/
(Few days ago it was being redirected to bitcoin.org)

That domain may b down...dis community is better than that
Did you even read the thread or OP? It is not about the domain being down. It is about why no content is hosted on this domain.
EternalWingsofGod

Activity: 700

View Profile
May 28, 2015, 07:24:33 AM

Is it just a coincidence, that one random dude (OP) asks about bitcoin.com and at about the same time there starts a fight Roger Ver vs. OKCoin for this domain?

Perhaps it could be a way to boost traffic to the website to justify the $10,000 a month price agreement he had with OKCoin to future buyers nothing like proof the domain is a premier investment.

Interestingly, the domain now redirects to https://bitcoinmagazine.com/
(Few days ago it was being redirected to bitcoin.org)

That is interesting since yesterday it was redirecting to creating a new blockchain wallet, well if he really got bored he could sell it as a rotator site with it redirecting to a new site every week for a fee.

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: