Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:07:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: eBook by Satoshi - legit?  (Read 1935 times)
jerfelix (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 10:47:58 AM

I saw that an eBook went up on Amazon a couple of days ago.
http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Peer---Peer-Illustrated-ebook/dp/B00538IVFK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1306752261&sr=8-2

Bitcoin: A Peer-to-Peer Electronic Cash System [Illustrated] [Kindle Edition]
Satoshi Nakamoto (Author)

Do you think that Satoshi put this out there?  Or did someone take his original paper, and toss it on Amazon to try to profit from it?  (I didn't look at a copy of the $0.99 eBook.  Has anybody seen it?)
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 10:57:03 AM

Just a guess: Smells like a scam.

zby
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 11:06:09 AM

It would be signed if it was authentic.  Maybe there is the signature somewhere - but I guess not and I think this should be reported to Amazon.
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 11:08:51 AM

Someone converted Satoshi's paper to Kindle format and uploaded it to Amazon.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 11:12:40 AM

Someone converted Satoshi's paper to Kindle format and uploaded it to Amazon.
If that's the case it's probably a breach of copyright - there's nothing in the paper to indicate it has the same permissive license as bitcoin-the-software, and even without an explicit copyright symbol anything published is still protected by copyright - but if Satoshi were to try and enforce his rights it would mean "breaking cover". Maybe that's what the gaol is? Though I suspect it's just someone trying to make a barely-honest buck...

This space intentionally left blank.
jerfelix (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 11:22:51 AM

It would be signed if it was authentic.  Maybe there is the signature somewhere - but I guess not and I think this should be reported to Amazon.
It's a little difficult for somebody to report it to Amazon.
Notice and Procedure for Making Claims of Copyright Infringement

If you believe that your work [emphasis added] has been copied in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please provide Amazon.com's copyright agent the written information specified below. Please note that this procedure is exclusively for notifying Amazon that your copyrighted material has been infringed.

An electronic or physical signature of the person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright interest;
    A description of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed upon;
    A description of where the material that you claim is infringing is located on the site, including the auction ID number, if applicable;
    Your address, telephone number, and e-mail address;
    A statement by you that you have a good-faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law;
    A statement by you, made under penalty of perjury, that the above information in your notice is accurate and that you are the copyright owner or authorized to act on the copyright owner's behalf.

Amazon.com's Copyright Agent for notice of claims of copyright infringement on its site can be reached as follows:

Copyright Agent
    Amazon.com Legal Department
    P.O. Box 81226
    Seattle, WA 98108
    phone: (206) 266-4064
    fax: (206) 266-7010
    e-mail: copyright@amazon.com

Courier address:
    Copyright Agent
    Amazon.com Legal Department
    410 Terry Avenue North
    Seattle, WA 98109-5210
    USA
jerfelix (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 11:26:53 AM

Probably a better option if this is a scam, is that if you have an Amazon account, sign in and review the book.  Give it a 1 (or a zero?) rating, and link people to the free online paper:  http://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf

Alex Beckenham

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 11:36:21 AM

Probably a better option if this is a scam, is that if you have an Amazon account, sign in and review the book.  Give it a 1 (or a zero?) rating, and link people to the free online paper:  http://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf

There's also a link on there that says "tell us about a lower price".

You could tell them about the $0 version, however I have no problem with some random person making 99 cents if it means more people read the paper.

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 11:38:12 AM

An electronic or physical signature of the person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright interest;

How is that going to work?
jerfelix (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 02:54:31 PM

There's also a link on there that says "tell us about a lower price".

You could tell them about the $0 version, however I have no problem with some random person making 99 cents if it means more people read the paper.
Good point. 

There's something fundamentally wrong with a person selling someone else's work for a profit without permission.  I personally wouldn't do that.  But it's really up to the author to enforce this, if Satoshi wants to.  On the other hand, I have no proof that this isn't Satoshi that's put the eBook out there, or that he hasn't given permission.  So really I should mind my own business.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 04:18:29 PM

There's something fundamentally wrong with a person selling someone else's work for a profit without permission.  I personally wouldn't do that.  But it's really up to the author to enforce this, if Satoshi wants to.  On the other hand, I have no proof that this isn't Satoshi that's put the eBook out there, or that he hasn't given permission.  So really I should mind my own business.

There's nothing wrong with making a paper available to more people, even if people pay for it.

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2011, 05:17:14 PM

Satoshi can authorise Gavin or someone else he stays in contact with if he wants them to do the complaint thing. It doesnt mention having to prove where the authoriser is or who they are merely that they have to have authorised. Could be done via PGP signatures or something if the *do* ask for some kind of proof.

(Maybe tell them "on my way to meet with the CIA about bitcoin I noticed you were selling the book, can we maybe clear this up before the meeting?")

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2011, 09:13:49 PM

Isnt it a little ironic purchasing the bitcoin paper with FRN. Smiley

And hey, doesnt bitcoin compete with Amazon Payments?  Wink  whoever had the guts to upload this ebook to Amazon books is pretty clever if you ask me.

There's nothing wrong with making a paper available to more people, even if people pay for it.

+1. This is a good thing.  We should celebrate.  Even better, we should upload the paper to iTunes and charge 50 cents just to under cut this Satoshi (impersonator, most likely).

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
zby
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 09:19:07 PM

Satoshi can authorise Gavin or someone else he stays in contact with if he wants them to do the complaint thing. It doesnt mention having to prove where the authoriser is or who they are merely that they have to have authorised. Could be done via PGP signatures or something if the *do* ask for some kind of proof.

This could be a very good story. Journalists would love it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: