Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 01:46:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Petition for Monero to have its own board, so we don't bother the altcoins.  (Read 8259 times)
BlockaFett

Activity: 392
Merit: 255

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 01:08:52 AM
Last edit: May 20, 2015, 01:37:35 AM by BlockaFett

I'm going to try to explain this like you're five. I don't don't if it will work. You might not be quite at that mental level yet.

Show the bitcoin blockchain to the Average Joe, and he doesn't see a damn thing, just a bunch of letters and numbers. Better yet, show the actual bytes, not how it is interpreted on a block explorer. Understanding, interpreting, and verifying that blockchain requires an understanding of the protocol, and being able to do things like verify secp256k1 signatures and sha256 hashes (two bits of complex cryptographic math) in order to tell that the blocks are valid, the transactions are valid, and the outputs (coins) you receive are legitimate.

Monero is exactly the same damn thing. If you understand the protocol, and how to verify CryptoNight hashes and CryptoNote ring signatures (two more bits of complex cryptographic math) you can tell the blocks are valid, the transactions are valid, and the outputs (coins) you receive are legitimate.

It is a different protocol, with different cryptographic math, but from the point of view of verifying the chain, exactly the same.

You also don't know what fungibility even means as a definition. It means interchangeable. If the coins are all mathematically verifiable (and they are), and can't be attached to some unique and distinctive history (which the can't), then it is fungible. Whatever other gibberish you want to throw around in an ongoing months- (years- ?) long display of your own ignorance does not mean fungible, if it means anything at all.

Smooth I think it's quite disgraceful that you as a core-dev are here on a thread asking for your own special forum section on BCT, and are then replying to people who disagree with you insulting their mental level and saying it's that of a five year old, that really shows you aren't capable of defending your position or behaving with any kind of decorum that we would expect from a core-dev of a coin that BCT needs to create a separate section for.

Opaque blockchain with everything hidden sounds pretty dumb to a lot of people and just insulting them doesn't make your argument correct.  

For a start you have no idea what the distribution is (unless of course you are Busoni at Poloniex or FluffyPony with MyMonero.com) or how funds are being moved around.....and given you have whales on Poloniex throwing around chunks of 50k XMR like they are candy I think actually you might have a problem in this area, and in fact doesn't opaque blockchain attract people who want to take of advantage of hidden distribution for manipulation purposes?

Second if there is any backdooring in the cryptography or more likely implementation of same that is found, then the whole thing falls apart (which I am guessing if there was, you wouldn't find it, because Bytecoin/Cryptonote developed the cryptography, not you, and you didn't have the competence to find the scam miner code you launched according to yourself).  

Third, anonymity in Monero has the caveat that it can be reversed at any time in the future with a viewkey (instant deanonimization.......).  So if the police seize your PC and order you to hand over your viewkey which in most countries you have to, or extortionists / border agents / tax officials or whoever, voila they can deanonimize that account.  Unlike mixing techs which create ambiguity that's irreversible so you can't just deanonimize someone with a key - that 'feature' in a coin claiming to be 'untraceable' like Monero seems like a pretty dumb idea to me....

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 01:20:22 AM
Last edit: May 20, 2015, 01:37:48 AM by smooth

I'm going to try to explain this like you're five. I don't don't if it will work. You might not be quite at that mental level yet.

Show the bitcoin blockchain to the Average Joe, and he doesn't see a damn thing, just a bunch of letters and numbers. Better yet, show the actual bytes, not how it is interpreted on a block explorer. Understanding, interpreting, and verifying that blockchain requires an understanding of the protocol, and being able to do things like verify secp256k1 signatures and sha256 hashes (two bits of complex cryptographic math) in order to tell that the blocks are valid, the transactions are valid, and the outputs (coins) you receive are legitimate.

Monero is exactly the same damn thing. If you understand the protocol, and how to verify CryptoNight hashes and CryptoNote ring signatures (two more bits of complex cryptographic math) you can tell the blocks are valid, the transactions are valid, and the outputs (coins) you receive are legitimate.

It is a different protocol, with different cryptographic math, but from the point of view of verifying the chain, exactly the same.

You also don't know what fungibility even means as a definition. It means interchangeable. If the coins are all mathematically verifiable (and they are), and can't be attached to some unique and distinctive history (which the can't), then it is fungible. Whatever other gibberish you want to throw around in an ongoing months- (years- ?) long display of your own ignorance does not mean fungible, if it means anything at all.

Smooth I think it's quite disgraceful that you as a core-dev are here on a thread asking for your own special forum section on BCT

I'm not asking for a forum section, I think that's a pretty silly idea.

I responded on a technical matter of how blockchains work and what the word fungibility means. Maybe toknormal can learn something and stop embarrassing himself. Because I'm trying to be friendly to him is all. Monero Cares.

Also, view key doesn't reverse mixing, only stealth, giving a list of one time addresses. It is the same as seizing your wallet.dat or Electrum (HD) wallet seed (although these might also allow spending your unspent coins, a view key alone never would).
adhitthana
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 01:45:42 AM

Is Americanpegasus pretending to be a Monero fan so he can be obnoxious and turn people off Monero.
That's my theory.  Wink
kazuki49

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 02:00:35 AM

Is Americanpegasus pretending to be a Monero fan so he can be obnoxious and turn people off Monero.
That's my theory.  Wink

even if this was true, as if anyone speaks for Monero (a decentralized currency) Cheesy
americanpegasus (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 02:01:14 AM

That's my theory.  Wink

Your theory is shit.  I have a demonstrably large stake in the success of Monero.  

Also, the other troll did give me an idea.  TrueCrypt has plausible deniability built in.  I have no idea how it could mathematically work, but it would be amazing to have a crypto with this same plausible deniability built into a viewkey.  

For example, one private address has a certain amount of Monero in it, a public amount and a private amount.  The method to input the viewkey is the same, and reveals any Monero at that address, but only the Monero that corresponds to the viewkey presented.  

I know what I'm theorizing would likely be unbelievably difficult/impossible with cryptography but it's an interesting thought experiment.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
G2M

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Activity: 616

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 02:04:15 AM

Nah

Just a bunch of people who like Monero and dgaf what people think here.

Guess people will have to just deal w/ it, this one's not like moneroman88 whom I'm sure we've all sorely missed.

Things were different then, than they are now, because Monero Cares.

Also, that unknown distribution argument - nah. Just another lie you tell yourself.

You don't know the distribution of any cryptocurrency, or any currency, properly enough to the level you want Monero to represent. Save to say for something like Dash, where we know at least one person is in control of over 8.7% of it. Nice to just hand over that kind of information so freely, given its (comedic) value. Usually to get such an idea in fiat, earnings and cash values have to be regulated by government or are shared publicly, or just compiled from estimates really. Much like what can be done with any cryptocurrency really. I mean, if you decide to present the IRS with falsified info, that's on you and them really, but I sure dgaf. Weird that you dartards can't get that through your brain emulsified pudding.

Sorry you can't rub off shortcomings of everything on Monero.

It's okay though, I'm sure you'll enjoy using it in ten years.

I'll even name a couple of account files after you, so when you're ready to buy up I'll be there for yas.

Wind picked up: F4BC1F4BC0A2A1C4

banditryandloot goin2mars kbm keyboard-mash theusualstuff

probably a few more that don't matter for much.
BlockaFett

Activity: 392
Merit: 255

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 02:15:31 AM

Smooth I think it's quite disgraceful that you as a core-dev are here on a thread asking for your own special forum section on BCT

I'm not asking for a forum section, I think that's a pretty silly idea.

I responded on a technical matter of how blockchains work and what the word fungibility means. Maybe toknormal can learn something and stop embarrassing himself. Because I'm trying to be friendly to him is all. Monero Cares.

Also, view key doesn't reverse mixing, only stealth, giving a list of one time addresses. It is the same as seizing your wallet.dat or Electrum (HD) wallet seed (although these might also allow spending your unspent coins, a view key alone never would).

Just point out what you did here - First you reply to Tok and cut out his argument and reply saying he has the mental age of a 5 year old...

Then when I reply you cut out my text, avoid all my points and chop the first sentence in half to totally change it's meaning, and say Tok can learn something and stop embarrassing himself?

And you just leave your own text intact and carry on insulting people lol...

You ignored / redacted all my points apart from viewkeys so - you are marketing them as enabling compliance with financial authorities, then when I point out the potential backdoor from extortion / seizure you're saying they aren't any use to authorities that demand you hand them over - makes no sense at all - if it's good enough to satisfy tax official's compliance, it's good enough to *not* have as an open feature that said officials can *force* any Monero holder to hand over - end of story.  (and unfortunately I think viewkeys is the only innovation Monero added to Cryptonote in the last year right?)  

About funigibility etc... I take Tok's point to be that in the real world 'invisible blockchains' are going to have a problem including convincing people that the units are fungible - From experience I agree with that sentiment, a lot of people won't trust some Bitcoin geeks who show up and tell them 'yeh you should switch to this currency, you can't see anything, but it's all secure / fungible thanks to our code', they will want to see it to believe it.  That might not fit into your equations but that's how the real world works as you obviously don't know that yet....and all the cryptography in Monero was copy/pasted from Bytecoin anyway and you missed the scam miner / only did 8 commits in 1 year so on what basis are you an authority on any of this?
benthach
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2015, 03:09:04 AM

all altcoins are just scam for now, included monero. there is no real use for monero. the mainstream coins are bitcoin, litecoin and dogecoin. these three coins creating their own voice/news outside of bitcointalk and working hard for cryptocurrency as whole. chance we all have heards about bitcoin, litecoin, dogecoin on news, social media and other sources. monero investors are just scammers within bitcointalk community and it don't even deserve this thread.

reddit btcwriter1 - twitter kingpininvestor
adhitthana
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 03:13:16 AM

all altcoins are just scam for now, included monero. there is no real use for monero. the mainstream coins are bitcoin, litecoin and dogecoin. these three coins creating their own voice/news outside of bitcointalk and working hard for cryptocurrency as whole. chance we all have heards about bitcoin, litecoin, dogecoin on news, social media and other sources. monero investors are just scammers within bitcointalk community and it don't even deserve this thread.
If they were scammers wouldn't there have been a premine? Or a secret launch with a large early distribution?
benthach
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2015, 03:16:02 AM

If they were scammers wouldn't there have been a premine? Or a secret launch with a large early distribution?

monero are scammers because it have no tech and no real use, just bagholders spamming and scamming bitcointalk

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 03:20:50 AM

There are no real uses for any coins, Bitcoin included, with the possible exception of a bit of gambling, trading between each other, and a relatively small amount of dark market stuff. They're all about future potential right now. The total user base of cryptocurrencies is a maybe (very optimistically) a million people out of 7 billion (i.e. 1/7000 of the world population). Or 1/1000 of the so-called developed world.

A lot of Monero activity occurs outside bitcointalk and the Bitcoin world entirely. I'm sure the other credible projects are doing the same.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 03:24:36 AM

You ignored / redacted all my points apart from viewkeys so - you are marketing them as enabling compliance with financial authorities, then when I point out the potential backdoor from extortion / seizure you're saying they aren't any use to authorities that demand you hand them over - makes no sense at all - if it's good enough to satisfy tax official's compliance, it's good enough to *not* have as an open feature that said officials can *force* any Monero holder to hand over - end of story.

What I said was view keys don't undo mixing. They undo stealth, which allows disclosing the payments you receive (so for example, a company can document its income to an auditor or a charity can document or disclose publicly its donations). It doesn't show where those coins came  from. That's the same as any other form of mixing. With Dash, for example, you can show (or have seized) your wallet logs or your wallet files your spent keys, or your HD wallet seed, which reveal the coins you have received but not where they came from (assuming they came through a mixer). Same thing, different mechanism.

and unfortunately I think viewkeys is the only innovation Monero added to Cryptonote in the last year right?

No. There is a whole year in review that lists some of the work that Monero has done. That doesn't even include view keys, although the first actual deployed uses of view keys (such as the back end of MyMonero) were done over the past year.

On the issue of "cutting out", I always leave the link back to the original message. Click it if you want to see it. There is no reason to requote the entire text of every single message 100 times on a thread.  lrn2forum.
benthach
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2015, 03:29:25 AM
Last edit: May 20, 2015, 03:45:14 AM by benthach

There are no real uses for any coins, Bitcoin included, with the possible exception of a bit of gambling, trading between each other, and a relatively small amount of dark market stuff. They're all about future potential right now. The total user base of cryptocurrencies is a maybe (very optimistically) a million people out of 7 billion (i.e. 1/7000 of the world population). Or 1/1000 of the so-called developed world.

A lot of Monero activity occurs outside bitcointalk and the Bitcoin world entirely. I'm sure the other credible projects are doing the same.

plus these companies;
Many companies are accepting bitcoins, many are not. Here is a list of the biggest names who accepts bitcoins as a currency.

Overstock.com – A company that sells big ticket items at lower prices due to overstocking
Amazon – An online company that sells almost anything.
Target – An American retailing company
CVS – A pharmacy shop
Subway – Eat fresh
Victoria’s Secret – A lingerie outlet
Namecheap - Domain name registrar
Bitcoin.Travel – a travel site that provides accommodation, apartments, attractions, bars, and beauty salons around the world
Pembury Tavern – A pub in London, England
 Old Fitzroy – A pub in Sydney, Australia
The Pink Cow – A diner in Tokyo, Japan
Virgin Galactic - Richard Branson company that includes Virgin Mobile and Virgin Airline
The Pirate Bay - BitTorrent directories
Reddit – You can buy premium features there with bitcoins
Zynga – Mobile gaming
PayPal / Ebay - Credit card / payment processor / Auction
Tesla – The car company
OkCupid – Online dating site
4Chan.org – For premium services
EZTV – Torrents TV shows provider
Mega.co.nz – The new venture started by the former owner of MegaUpload Kim Dotcom
Lumfile – Free cloud base file server – pay for premium services
Etsy Vendors – 93 of them
PizzaForCoins.com - Domino’s Pizza signed up – pay for their pizza with bitcons
Tigerdirect – Major electronic online retailer
CheapAir.com – Travel booking site for airline tickets, car rentals, hotels
Expedia.com – Online travel booking agency
Zappos – Online retailer
Whole Foods – Organic food store (by purchasing gift card from Gyft)
Bitcoincoffee.com – Buy your favorite coffee online
Grass Hill Alpacas – A local farm in Haydenville, MA
Jeffersons Store - A street wear clothing store in Bergenfield, N.J
Helen’s Pizza - Jersey City, N.J., you can get a slice  of pizza for 0.00339 bitcoin by pointing your phone at a sign next to the cash register
A Class Limousine - Pick you up and drop you off at Newark (N.J.) Airport
Fiverr.com – Get almost anything done for $5
Seoclerks.com – Get SEO work done on your site cheap
Namecheap – Cheap domain registration company
Sacramento Kings – Professional Basketball team out in Sacramental California (NBA)
Mint.com - Mint pulls all your financial accounts into one place. Set a budget, track your goals and do more
with your money, for free! (Source: mint.com)
TechCrunch.com – IT blog
Fancy.com - Discover amazing stuff, collect the things you love, buy it all in one place (Source: Fancy)
Bing by Microsoft – 2nd search engine to Google
Bloomberg.com – Online newspaper
Humblebundle.com – Indie game site
BigFishGames.com – Games for PC, Mac and Smartphones (iPhone, Android, Windows)
Suntimes.com – Chicago based online newspaper
San Jose Earthquakes – San Jose California Professional Soccer Team (MLS)
Square – Payment processor that help small businesses accept credit cards using iPhone, Android or iPad
Crowdtilt.com - The fastest and easiest way to pool funds with family and friends (Source: crowdtilt)
Lumfile – Server company that offers free cloud-based servers
Museum of the Coastal Bend - 2200 East Red River Street, Victoria, Texas 77901, USA
Home Depot - Office supplies store
Kmart - Retail products store
Sears - Clothing and household products, electronic store
Gap, GameStop and JC Penney – have to use eGifter.com
Etsy Vendors – Original art and Jewelry creations
Fight for the Future – Leading organization finding for Internet freedom
i-Pmart (ipmart.com.my) – A Malaysian online mobile phone and electronic parts retailer
curryupnow.com - A total of 12 restaurants on the list of restaurants accept bitcoins in San Francisco Bay Area
Dish Network - An American direct-broadcast satellite service provider
Apple’s App Store - Buy music and any app on the Apple AppStore with bitcoins
The Libertarian Party – United States political party
Yacht-base.com – Croatian yacht charter company
Euro Pacific – A major precious metal dealer
CEX – The trade-in chain has a shop in Glasgow, Scotland that accepts bitcoin
Straub Auto Repairs - 477 Warburton Ave, Hastings-on-Hudson, NY 10706 - (914) 478-1177
PSP Mollie – Dutch Payment Service
Intuit - an American software company that develops financial and tax preparation software and related services for small businesses, accountants and individuals.
Newegg.com – Online electronics retailer now uses bitpay to accept bitcoin as payment
ShopJoy – An Australian online retailer that sells novelty and unique gifts
 Wikipedia -  The Free Encyclopedia with 4 570 000+ article
Lv.net - Las Vegas high speed internet services
ExpressVPN.com – High speed, ultra secure VPN network
Grooveshark – Online music streaming service based in the United States
Dell - American privately owned multinational computer technology company
Braintree – Well known payments processor
MIT Coop Store - Massachusetts Institute of Technology student bookstore
SimplePay - Nigeria’s most popular web and mobile-based wallet service
SFU bookstore - Simon Fraser University in Vancouver, Canada
State Republican Party – First State Republican Party to accept bitcoin donations (http://www.lagop.com/bitcoin-donate)
mspinc.com – Respiratory medical equipment supplies store
1-800-FLOWERS.COM – United States based online floral and gift retailer and distributor
http://www.bitcoinvalues.net/who-accepts-bitcoins-payment-companies-stores-take-bitcoins.html#sthash.sKsc1lG8.dpuf

monero = what's that?
oh wait, it's just another scammer and spammer coin on bitcointalk
the name(monero) itself sound pretty gay

onewiseguy

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 03:34:26 AM

I think at this point it's fair to say that everyone on Bitcoin Talk is aware that Monero is the successor to Bitcoin proper.  Calling it an altcoin is inaccurate and a clumsy, archaic protocol.  

(If you honestly don't realize what's about to happen with Monero, it's probably time to educate yourself)

Point is, the Monero community is passionate, legitimate, and honestly excited about the crypto currency that will soon revolutionize the world, and our fervor is starting to overshadow the altcoins we are forced to post around.  

I think that everyone here can agree that Monero is not an altcoin, and as such should not be forced to continue annoying the altcoin board.  

The time has come for Monero to get its own heading on Bitcointalk, along with appropriate sections and child boards.  

This way, the altcoins won't be annoyed at our presence (which will only increase in the coming months and years).  Just think, what if bitcoin discussion was forced to occur on precious metals websites?  That simply wouldn't work.  

Monero needs it's own board on Bitcointalk.  

I'm pretty sure we can all agree on that.  

Is Monero really that big?  can you provide some valid information of what your claims are I cant seem to find any good info..
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 03:35:09 AM

plus these companies;

If you look at the public statements of those companies, nearly all of them get a brief spurt of activity when they first announce Bitcoin (if that, maybe the newer ones not even that), then it dies down quickly to near zero.

There is a reasonable analysis of Bitcoin activity here: http://www.ofnumbers.com/2015/04/22/the-flow-of-funds-on-the-bitcoin-network-in-2015/

It shows that the entire Bitpay system (thousands of merchants) processed about $50 million total over an entire year. Peanuts. This is entirely in line with every other analysis I've seen.

benthach
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2015, 03:46:51 AM

plus these companies;

If you look at the public statements of those companies, nearly all of them get a brief spurt of activity when they first announce Bitcoin (if that, maybe the newer ones not even that), then it dies down quickly to near zero.

There is a reasonable analysis of Bitcoin activity here: http://www.ofnumbers.com/2015/04/22/the-flow-of-funds-on-the-bitcoin-network-in-2015/

It shows that the entire Bitpay system (thousands of merchants) processed about $50 million total over an entire year. Peanuts. This is entirely in line with every other analysis I've seen.

Dell, Braintree, newegg.com.. plus thousands of mom and pop stores
monero = what's that? never heard of it = gay name #no offence to gay people#

americanpegasus (OP)

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 04:02:11 AM

plus these companies;

Dell, Braintree, newegg.com.. plus thousands of mom and pop stores
monero = what's that? never heard of it = gay name #no offence to gay people#

About what I would expect from you.  

Trying to use some kind of middle-school edgy language, and then not even having the guts to stand behind it without some kind of disclaimer.  What are you, 13 years old?  Go do your algebra homework, and maybe one day understanding cryptography will be within your grasp.  

By your terrible logic, bitcoin was doomed in 2009 because no one had ever heard of it.  

This thread is about how Monero needs its own board because we are tired of trolls from other alts getting annoyed at our success.  Your unwanted invasion into a successful petition only validates our claim that Monero definitely needs its own section on Bitcointalk.

GTO911

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 04:12:09 AM

Why are Dastards on this thread attacking Monero?  Why are they so butthurt?
adhitthana
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 05:09:40 AM

Trying to use some kind of middle-school edgy language, and then not even having the guts to stand behind it without some kind of disclaimer.  What are you, 13 years old?  Go do your algebra homework, and maybe one day understanding cryptography will be within your grasp.  

By your terrible logic, bitcoin was doomed in 2009 because no one had ever heard of it.  

This thread is about how Monero needs its own board because we are tired of trolls from other alts getting annoyed at our success.  Your unwanted invasion into a successful petition only validates our claim that Monero definitely needs its own section on Bitcointalk.

Are you sure you aren't someone who hates Monero trying to be obnoxious while pretending you like Monero. You definitely look like that to me
americanpegasus (OP)

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 06:16:05 AM

Are you sure you aren't someone who hates Monero trying to be obnoxious while pretending you like Monero. You definitely look like that to me

Are you sure you aren't someone who hates Monero trying to obnoxiously question my motives while pretending you honestly don't know that I like Monero? You definitely look like that to me 

If you want higher quality responses, then give me higher quality conversation as input.  My responses aren't going to be of a higher caliber than the useless drivel that the trolls are tossing around. 

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: