Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 11:04:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Self-Driving Trucks Are Going to Hit Us Like a Human-Driven Truck  (Read 2234 times)
(oYo) (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 500

I like boobies

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2015, 06:27:39 AM

Autonomous vehicles are going to lay waste to employment of drivers very soon. As more and more jobs are eliminated by automation we are left with higher unemployment. If humanity doesn't evolve to the point where jobs are no longer a necessity for survival, we will soon find ourselves with a largely underemployed population with no means to support itself and no alternative plan to address this trend.

It should be clear at a glance just how dependent the American economy is on truck drivers. According to the American Trucker Association, there are 3.5 million professional truck drivers in the US, and an additional 5.2 million people employed within the truck-driving industry who don’t drive the trucks. That’s 8.7 million trucking-related jobs.

We can’t stop there though, because the incomes received by these 8.2 million people create the jobs of others. Those 3.5 million truck drivers driving all over the country stop regularly to eat, drink, rest, and sleep. Entire businesses have been built around serving their wants and needs. Think restaurants and motels as just two examples. So now we’re talking about millions more whose employment depends on the employment of truck drivers. But we still can’t even stop there.

Those working in these restaurants and motels along truck-driving routes are also consumers within their own local economies. Think about what a server spends her paycheck and tips on in her own community, and what a motel maid spends from her earnings into the same community. That spending creates other paychecks in turn. So now we’re not only talking about millions more who depend on those who depend on truck drivers, but we’re also talking about entire small town communities full of people who depend on all of the above in more rural areas. With any amount of reduced consumer spending, these local economies will shrink.

One further important detail to consider is that truck drivers are well-paid. They provide a middle class income of about $40,000 per year. That’s a higher income than just about half (46%) of all tax filers, including those of married households. They are also greatly comprised by those without college educations.

Article: https://medium.com/basic-income/self-driving-trucks-are-going-to-hit-us-like-a-human-driven-truck-b8507d9c5961

YouTube video: Daimler's Self Driving Truck Nevada Worlds First Licensed Autonomous Freightliner Inspiration CARJAM

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cryptocoiner

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

hyperboria - next internet

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2015, 06:29:23 AM

Yep, welcome to the future.

jacktheking
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1001

Personal Text Space Not For Sale

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 07:51:08 AM

The future is Bitcoin. People might not work in physical but they might work virtually. Which they earn Bitcoin and spend Bitcoin. And yes, welcome to the future.

So sad! This profile does not appear as the #1 result (on anonymous) Google searches anymore.

Time to be active on the crypto forums again? Proud to be one of the few Legendary members of the Sparkie Red Dot!

Gonna put this on my resume if I ever join a cryptocurrency/blockchain industry!
neoneros

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

I can draw your avatar!

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2015, 09:56:10 AM

And working for virtual coins happens in the virtual space, mostly from home, so the chances you will meet with an automated driving truck are reduced to nearly zero, so the chance of you getting hit by one even moreso. There is a lot of fear of self driving vehicels. There was an automated self driving bus in Eindhoven over ten years ago, people did not want to get in if there was no driver at the driver seat, so there was a 'dummy' driver appointed who sat all day at the driver seat doing nothing.

We rely on a lot of things that do not involve in-person handling anymore. We rely on servers to deliver our e-mails and do not worry the digital mailman might forget or puts it in the wrong mailbox.

We should have an open view for the future and not be held back by the fear of the unknown.

Most truck accidents happen when the driver works too many hours and falls asleep behind the wheel. Or when the driver ignores the height of a tunnel/bridge. Computer drivers are more accurate and less stuborn.

Falconer
Legendary

Activity: 2478
Merit: 1123

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 11:16:47 AM

Future is an era that make our life more comfortable and safe with helping of technology
But, there is something that never been had by a computer. That is the humans sense. Grin

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1365

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 11:37:07 AM

Everything in life changes. "Robots" taking away our jobs isn't really a big problem.

Ultimately, if robots did all the jobs, nobody could afford the products, and the companies would go under, leaving room for new companies that couldn't afford to buy robot workers, but could afford to pay people. If the new companies decided to rent robots, there still wouldn't be anybody to buy the products, and they would fail same as the others.

This scenario probably will not happen. A happy medium will be found.

There is always change. There are always companies that are downsizing while other companies are growing. There are always companies laying people off while others are hiring. It has been happening since people hired others to work for them, and it will probably continue to happen. The only thing robots will do is to change the way it happens a little.

No fun for the people it happens to, but opportunity for others.

Smiley

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2015, 12:04:53 PM

The world needs to progress and we need to move on. There were people who were against the use of computers as well as it would lead to unemployment and many other factors but still the world has accepted it as a positive change. Similarly self driven cars might help to reduce the number of accidents and would be safer for people to cross the roads.

BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 12:09:54 PM
Last edit: May 19, 2015, 12:24:48 PM by BADecker

The world needs to progress and we need to move on. There were people who were against the use of computers as well as it would lead to unemployment and many other factors but still the world has accepted it as a positive change. Similarly self driven cars might help to reduce the number of accidents and would be safer for people to cross the roads.

Think of all the squirrels, rabbits and skunks that would live.    Cheesy   Think of all the crushed product every time the truck slams on its brakes for squirrels, rabbits and skunks.    Grin

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
Wonka

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 12:24:59 PM

Most unskilled jobs will be eradicated in the future, that's why people will need to evolve themselves and learn more crafts or trades. Soon we arent going to need delivery men or warehouse pickers/packers/sorters because it can all be done via machines. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing but people need to move with the times.
erikalui
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2015, 12:39:10 PM

Think of all the squirrels, rabbits and skunks that would live.    Cheesy   Think of all the crushed product every time the truck slams on its brakes for squirrels, rabbits and skunks.    Grin

I haven't seen any truck driver applying brakes for any squirrel, rabbit or skunk. In fact, I have seen them crushing down animals who run across the streets.

neoneros

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

I can draw your avatar!

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2015, 02:55:35 PM

in the utopian future, all labor will be done by the robots and computers. All will be provided for the people, the machines will run the world and the man will be pampered. Men can do things they like, go sporting all day, draw, paint, write, sleep, bingewatch the world happening from their couch. The world would be in  a status quo and boring as hell, the human mind going in extremes to get statisfaction and enough resources to comply, just watch out for robocop, we have ten seconds to comply  Grin

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 03:22:20 PM

in the utopian future, all labor will be done by the robots and computers. All will be provided for the people, the machines will run the world and the man will be pampered. Men can do things they like, go sporting all day, draw, paint, write, sleep, bingewatch the world happening from their couch.

We've been promised endless leisure since somewhere around the 1950s and look at the state of the working world now. Something will have to give eventually or maybe the future of the world economy will involve nothing but selling increasingly convoluted cups of coffee to each other.
BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 04:56:57 PM

I haven't seen any truck driver applying brakes for any squirrel, rabbit or skunk. In fact, I have seen them crushing down animals who run across the streets.

Trucks usually are there to carry products for people. If trucks slam on the breaks to keep from crushing an animal, often the product is damaged in the back part of the truck. Sometimes trucks roll over and are damaged making it so that the truck owner has to pay lots of money to get them fixed.

It is good to crush little animals that run out into the road, just to save the product in the trucks from getting damaged.

When you grow up, perhaps you could start a school for animals where you would teach them to look both ways.

Robot trucks might stop for the animals, thereby damaging the product and the robot trucks. Good thing human drivers understand that it is best to crush the animals.

Smiley

erikalui
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2015, 05:08:22 PM

Trucks usually are there to carry products for people. If trucks slam on the breaks to keep from crushing an animal, often the product is damaged in the back part of the truck. Sometimes trucks roll over and are damaged making it so that the truck owner has to pay lots of money to get them fixed.

It is good to crush little animals that run out into the road, just to save the product in the trucks from getting damaged.

When you grow up, perhaps you could start a school for animals where you would teach them to look both ways.

Robot trucks might stop for the animals, thereby damaging the product and the robot trucks. Good thing human drivers understand that it is best to crush the animals.

Smiley

You're so inhuman. You don't mind a life being lost but are worried about the expenses it will cost you. Have you ever run down an animal/human in your life and hence you are supporting it?

I'm shocked and saddened the way you think animals should be killed. The more people like you will say such things, the more people like me will pray for the life of animals and the end of this damn world. Inhumanity sucks.

BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 05:15:24 PM

Smiley

You're so inhuman. You don't mind a life being lost but are worried about the expenses it will cost you. Have you ever run down an animal/human in your life and hence you are supporting it?

I'm shocked and saddened the way you think animals should be killed. The more people like you will say such things, the more people like me will pray for the life of animals and the end of this damn world. Inhumanity sucks.

This isn't inhumane. It's practical. Go start your animal school.

Smiley

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 05:15:30 PM

I'm not so worried about goods, but my own safety and the safety of other people on the road is more important than any animal that strays into my path.

When I was a nipper we used to take an hour-long bus journey to school through pheasant shooting country (so they were dead meat anyway).

One particular driver thought nothing of risking 40 little lives to avoid one pheasant that was dumb enough to stray into the road. He would slam on the brakes, veer everywhere and throw people all over the bus. Eventually he was fired after one near calamity too many.
BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 05:21:11 PM

I'm not so worried about goods, but my own safety and the safety of other people on the road is more important than any animal that strays into my path.

When I was a nipper we used to take an hour-long bus journey to school through pheasant shooting country (so they were dead meat anyway).

One particular driver thought nothing of risking 40 little lives to avoid one pheasant that was dumb enough to stray into the road. He would slam on the brakes, veer everywhere and throw people all over the bus. Eventually he was fired after one near calamity too many.

We need to remember that erikalui is a little girl. She might be a young teenager, but maybe not even that old. She is here to learn about life.

I don't understand why her parents allowed her into this forum, where you can find just about anything that you want. I'd break my kids in a little easier than that.

Smiley

erikalui
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2015, 05:46:58 PM

We need to remember that erikalui is a little girl. She might be a young teenager, but maybe not even that old. She is here to learn about life.

I don't understand why her parents allowed her into this forum, where you can find just about anything that you want. I'd break my kids in a little easier than that.

Smiley

And I care about animals more than humans. Animals are innocent and they have a right to live rather than humans who have a brain and can think evil. If I have to chose between saving a human/animal, I'll try to save both but not crush an animal to save the other.

@bold: Why do you want me to leave this forum? Because I don't appreciate your inhuman thoughts and with the fact that you prefer to kill animals? I'm proud that I don't think so low. That's because of my parents and I'm proud of their upbringing.

BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 06:04:53 PM

Smiley

And I care about animals more than humans. Animals are innocent and they have a right to live rather than humans who have a brain and can think evil. If I have to chose between saving a human/animal, I'll try to save both but not crush an animal to save the other.

@bold: Why do you want me to leave this forum? Because I don't appreciate your inhuman thoughts and with the fact that you prefer to kill animals? I'm proud that I don't think so low. That's because of my parents and I'm proud of their upbringing.

What makes you think that I want you to do anything, either leave this forum or not, or anything else for that matter?

Animals were given to people, by God, as property of people. While mankind is not supposed to intentionally torture animals, he also has the right to do with them as he wishes if he is their owner.

Now watch this. You want people to be under animals. Because you want this, you place yourself under the animals. And God has given you the right to do that if you really want.

God also has given people the authority over animals. So, the thing that you are doing is placing yourself under animals, under other people. Do you really want to be a slave to other people that badly, just like the animals are?

Smiley

erikalui
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2015, 06:22:10 PM

What makes you think that I want you to do anything, either leave this forum or not, or anything else for that matter?

Animals were given to people, by God, as property of people. While mankind is not supposed to intentionally torture animals, he also has the right to do with them as he wishes if he is their owner.

Now watch this. You want people to be under animals. Because you want this, you place yourself under the animals. And God has given you the right to do that if you really want.

God also has given people the authority over animals. So, the thing that you are doing is placing yourself under animals, under other people. Do you really want to be a slave to other people that badly, just like the animals are?

Smiley

@bold: Definitely it's a yes. I would love being an animal rather than a human. Humans rape, murder, rob and are selfish compared to animals who harm humans when they feel a danger.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: