Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 11:28:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Does Butterfly Labs Deliver?  (Read 6276 times)
Paladin69

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 04:14:25 AM

I like my mini-rig.  But my estimated btc income per day is dropping slowly little by little...
arklan
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 04:17:48 AM

I like my mini-rig.  But my estimated btc income per day is dropping slowly little by little...

as is everyone's, really. and i don't think there is any circumstance where that won't be the case. the keep a given level of income from mining, one will need to continually grow their hash rate. i'm not suggest we'd need to buy a new $1000 worth of hardware each month, but now and then to counteract the rise in difficulty? yea.

now, if only i had the money to DO that...

i don't post much, but this space for rent.
psilan

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 10:08:32 AM

Has the investment paid itself off yet?

dip
HDSolar

Activity: 386

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2012, 07:37:39 PM

Its going to do that since that is how bitcoins works, sucks and I am right there with you.

To answer the bigger question, they deliver!  Slow and with some tweaks but they do deliver.  Got first single perfect no problems but slow.  Got ten more singles and slow again but two out of ten did not work right, traded out and two weeks later they were replaced.  All 11 working and if I could get the room colder without effecting cost they work as listed. 

I will send a photo of my little crop soon.  Also I am in on a mini-rig too but that is hosted offsite.

Getting ready for the SC switch too so looking forward to that (I hope that goes well but I know BFL will deliver on those in Nov'ish time).

Get paid to be social and visit HypeWizard today!  www.hypewiz.com
AR-15 80% at www.uspatriotarmory.com
my Cryptanalys.is profile
CJGoodings

Activity: 322
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 05:27:04 PM

I wonder how long they will draw it out before packing up all your btc & fpga trade ins and heading for their newly purchased private island.
GernMiester

Activity: 285

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 05:28:49 PM

Yes. But slowly
MXRider

Activity: 466

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 05:41:28 PM

Has the investment paid itself off yet?

No way. I'm not sure that any MiniRigs has time to pay itself off. Maybe gigavps got them early enough and sold coins when the price was ~14 but I doubt that.
jjshabadoo

Activity: 535
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 09:08:54 PM

Mini-rig was a pre-funding option for BFL to begin their ASIC development. They knew they would then have 50% lock-in for their ASIC terahash rigs or so it seems.

It will still work out for mini rig folks as long as they do the trade-up, without it they have zero economic chance outside of a huge price spike.

crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 11:06:01 PM

Mini-rig was a pre-funding option for BFL to begin their ASIC development. They knew they would then have 50% lock-in for their ASIC terahash rigs or so it seems.

It will still work out for mini rig folks as long as they do the trade-up, without it they have zero economic chance outside of a huge price spike.
http://bitcoinx.com/profit/
Break even on a Single: 224 days.
Break even on a MR: 173 days.

IIRC, the first MR started showing up ~ 3 months ago. That's 90 days. we still have ~60 more days till the ASICs start shipping. That's pretty close to the break even, even without ASIC level difficulty.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Paladin69

Activity: 784

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 05:42:55 AM
Last edit: September 15, 2012, 05:55:43 AM by Paladin69

I'm estimating 120-150 days to pay itself off depending on where the spot price goes.  I earned almost $3.5K my first month owning...I would've been $4.5K if it weren't for Pirate causing the market to drop due to his stealing from others.  No stock in the world can return that kind of dividend regardless.  I will be upgrading to ASIC.  I'm even tempted to buy a second ASIC rig.

People also have to remember that those of us buying mini-rig's aren't buying into bitcoin.  We're buying into the security network that can audit the ledger transactions that just so happens to earn coins and fees in the process.

These rigs can be retooled to mine for anything else the market decides could possibly be more valuable than bitcoin in the future.  They can do a variety of things.  Even hackers see value in them for brute force stuff.  Their resale value should maintain so long as you keep up with the ASIC upgrade path.  SHA-2 has a variety of uses as a technology that many industries can see value in.

The biggest loser will be kids that can't afford more than GPU's and people that stick with FPGA's and not upgrade.  They will be displaced and drop out of the market.  It sucks for those that don't have money so I sympathize with them.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 06:29:34 AM

I'm estimating 120-150 days to pay itself off depending on where the spot price goes.  I earned almost $3.5K my first month owning...I would've been $4.5K if it weren't for Pirate causing the market to drop due to his stealing from others.  No stock in the world can return that kind of dividend regardless.  I will be upgrading to ASIC.  I'm even tempted to buy a second ASIC rig.

People also have to remember that those of us buying mini-rig's aren't buying into bitcoin.  We're buying into the security network that can audit the ledger transactions that just so happens to earn coins and fees in the process.

These rigs can be retooled to mine for anything else the market decides could possibly be more valuable than bitcoin in the future.  They can do a variety of things.  Even hackers see value in them for brute force stuff.  Their resale value should maintain so long as you keep up with the ASIC upgrade path.  SHA-2 has a variety of uses as a technology that many industries can see value in.

The biggest loser will be kids that can't afford more than GPU's and people that stick with FPGA's and not upgrade.  They will be displaced and drop out of the market.  It sucks for those that don't have money so I sympathize with them.

These ASICs perform a double SHA-256, which has been pointed out elsewhere, has no other functional use outside of bitmining. BFL said these cannot be used for password cracking. Hate to tell ya, but you're making a 30k bet that BTCs are here to stay.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
jjshabadoo

Activity: 535

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 02:26:54 PM

Well the key as Paladin pointed is securing the network. I wasn't comfortable with BFL's pre-order restrictions which is why I didn't buy from them. I also was concerned about distribution of ASIC technology which we all went over ad nauseum. I feel comfortable now that there is some competition and it appears BFL has addressed previous issues.

In the end we will now see wide deployment of ASIC technology which I NEVER felt was a bad thing, as along as it was distributed widely so there was limited chance of "cornering" the mining market.

Of course people will still be pissed if there is a price war, because we all know this technology had high development cost and very low production cost after the product is developed.

This might not be great for early adopters depending on when prices drop, but it will certainly be good for the network as people will continue buying hardware as prices drop.

In the end we will see bitcoin being secured by a petahash in due time.

This is great news for any of us who believe decentralized digital currency is the people's weapon against international banking cartels.

As someone who has a few business plans for bitcoin related businesses, this is the news I had been waiting for.
Badonkadonk

Activity: 560

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 02:58:34 PM

Well the key as Paladin pointed is securing the network. I wasn't comfortable with BFL's pre-order restrictions which is why I didn't buy from them. I also was concerned about distribution of ASIC technology which we all went over ad nauseum. I feel comfortable now that there is some competition and it appears BFL has addressed previous issues.

In the end we will now see wide deployment of ASIC technology which I NEVER felt was a bad thing, as along as it was distributed widely so there was limited chance of "cornering" the mining market.

Of course people will still be pissed if there is a price war, because we all know this technology had high development cost and very low production cost after the product is developed.

This might not be great for early adopters depending on when prices drop, but it will certainly be good for the network as people will continue buying hardware as prices drop.

In the end we will see bitcoin being secured by a petahash in due time.

This is great news for any of us who believe decentralized digital currency is the people's weapon against international banking cartels.

As someone who has a few business plans for bitcoin related businesses, this is the news I had been waiting for.

+1

now we only need to get more buisnisess to accept bitcoin, as finland is at a good start im hoping atleast scandinavia will follow in there footsteps.

i live in a pretty small town, like 10k-15k ppl and ive allready talked to a few of the local shops about it, and they seem to be a bit interested Cheesy ( pun intended Tongue )
would be awsome beeing able to go out and buy groceries or hardware and whatnot for bitcoins using a smartphone  Cool

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2012, 02:59:54 PM

decentralized digital currency is the people's weapon against international banking cartels.

Nice turn of phrase.  Mind if I steal it?   Cheesy

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Zack

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 05:21:05 PM

Sincerely hoping my jalapenos will get here before the end of the year. I've heard they are just NOW shipping singles (Not ASICS) ordered from early August.
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2012, 05:29:05 PM

Sincerely hoping my jalapenos will get here before the end of the year. I've heard they are just NOW shipping singles (Not ASICS) ordered from early August.

The singles shipping time is the best its ever been.  You should have done more research if you were worried about a 30 day turnaround.

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
Zack

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 05:44:42 PM

The singles shipping time is the best its ever been.  You should have done more research if you were worried about a 30 day turnaround.

I've read and done quite a bit of research on BFL and their problematic shipping, and I of course was not looking for a 30 day turnaround, I was given an estimate that pre-orders would begin shipping late October-Early November, so I'm hoping to get it before January.
CJGoodings

Activity: 322
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 05:52:49 PM

So many pre-orders with 0 proof that the ASIC tech will even work.... its just blows my mind that so many people will throw thousands into a site that sells you a place in line...

Now i understand how so many of you guys are taken for everything your worth by people like Pirate.
Zack

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 05:56:21 PM

So many pre-orders with 0 proof that the ASIC tech will even work.... its just blows my mind that so many people will throw thousands into a site that sells you a place in line...

I have a few worries, but $170 of investment isn't much for me. Can't speak for people who have pre-purchased single SC's or even mini rig SC's, for me that is just too much to invest in something I have yet to see actual proof of, though if I have owned BFL machines before I could have a different outlook on this.
nolo200

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 02:03:45 AM

They have refused to allow anyone to pick up a unit or see their facility.  I have asked.  I'm very close to Kansas City, so it would be easy if I knew their address.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: