Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 10:53:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitinstant brokering extortion threats?  (Read 7313 times)
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 08:24:19 PM

I'm with Bitinstant on this one.
That's the spirit of Bitcoin - we are building a disruptive technology which will take over the world.
We aim at no less, so why be so shy about it?
Winners will write the history.
We can be disruptive without breaking any laws in the process....
Heroes wear white hats.
QFT

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 08:39:06 PM

The question becomes: What will the heroes do if/when "they" make the heroes' tools illegal? Regardless of how Bitcoin is promoted or portrayed, positive or negative, it has the potential by itself to be quite disruptive to many "powers that be" and that alone is enough to consider the possibility of it being "illegal" in certain jurisdictions some day in the future.

If I may butt in once again... I will anyway.   Cheesy

Some define "heroism" not as following this or that arbitrary law or social custom ( or being lucky enough to die for ones country in a meaningless war abroad ),
but in following ones heart, despite the consequences.  And no, I don't find that contradictory to what I have already said, in case someone was going to ask me
that...  
Portnoy
Legendary

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 08:41:48 PM

Whether you personally condone it or not is largely irrelevant.

It felt as though you were putting words in my mouth, which is why I clarified. Don't shoot the messenger!   Smiley

I agree that we should embrace positive aspects of human nature.

I am glad you take it that way.   Smiley

I try to avoid attacking personalities and try to stick to the ideas themselves.  I apologize if I sometimes fall short of that goal, or am lacking in clarity. 
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 08:51:19 PM

My jaw is still on the floor after reading this:

http://blog.bitinstant.com/blog/2012/9/6/a-friendly-offer-for-mitt-romney.html

Have the people who run bitinstant gone completely and utterly nuts?

Never mind the fact that the threat is certainly a hoax; the hoaxers didn't bother including even the simplest proof that they actually have the goods (i.e. FY2009 page 12 line 13 is $18.99).  The average person on the street who reads the Forbes article about your idiotic offer does not know this.  All they see is the biggest retail player in the bitcoin world offering to broker an extortion threat.  How on earth could you possibly think this would be a good thing either for bitcoin or for your business?

Congratulations, Erik Voorhees.  You are responsible for event most damaging to bitcoin's reputation thus far.  Way to go.

Hahahaha wow 

Okay then, let's play things your way. If charging him less for the service is bad (as you describe), then charging more must be the appropriate course of action? Instead of BitInstant offering to help Romney get the funds for 0% commission, you are suggesting we charge him 2%?   Roll Eyes
evoorhees
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 08:52:39 PM

TBH, it seemed a bit distasteful to me.

Extorting money for tax returns is distasteful/immoral/illegal. Offering to help the victim is none of these things.
evoorhees
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 08:56:43 PM

At best their offer being condescending to Romney and his team.

Not only that, we’ll also show you how to safely use a Bitcoin wallet, back up and encrypt it, and make payments. We’ll even set you up with a Bitcoin app on your iPhone! You’ll be a Bitcoin expert in no time!
Who the F you think you are ?

PR fail on multiple level.

It amazes me how little of a sense of humor people have, my goodness.

And yes, it is condescending to Romney and his team. That man deserves no respect whatsoever. I do not feel remorse poking fun at tyrants.
Portnoy
Legendary

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 08:57:12 PM

The question becomes: What will the heroes do if/when "they" make the heroes' tools illegal? Regardless of how Bitcoin is promoted or portrayed, positive or negative, it has the potential by itself to be quite disruptive to many "powers that be" and that alone is enough to consider the possibility of it being "illegal" in certain jurisdictions some day in the future.

If I may butt in once again... I will anyway.   Cheesy

Some define "heroism" not as following this or that arbitrary law or social custom ( or being lucky enough to die for ones country in a meaningless war abroad ),
but in following ones heart, despite the consequences.  And no, I don't find that contradictory to what I have already said, in case someone was going to ask me
that...  

Indeed, but if you follow the quotes:

We can be disruptive without breaking any laws in the process....

the discussion specifically mentioned not breaking laws. Hence my question.

Fair enough...  but my points are made within the larger context of Bitinstant's "stunt" or "joke" or whatever one would like to call it.  
I don't think it was a justified defence against some government action, if anyone tries to claim it as such.  But if any unreasonable
action 'would' be undertaken at some point then I wouldn't cry out against any reasonable defensive action... which if it was against
the government would perhaps be illegal by definition.

I agree with much of what you have said on points like this...  it's just when it gets into preemptive activism, or sensational marketing,
and the like, where I find I am in disagreement, with the views themselves, regardless of who holds them, or not.  

Portnoy
Legendary

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 09:04:57 PM

And yes, it is condescending to Romney and his team. That man deserves no respect whatsoever. I do not feel remorse poking fun at tyrants.

Are you speaking as a professional and responsible spokesman of Bitinstant here... or as a prankster needing to vent?     Wink
evoorhees
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 09:39:50 PM

Are you speaking as a professional and responsible spokesman of Bitinstant here... or as a prankster needing to vent?     Wink

Here on the forum, I'm speaking for myself.  And it was not a prank, BitInstant's offer is legitimate.

And I'm always professional and responsible... except when I'm not Wink
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2012, 10:25:55 PM

I think that all of you are 100% correct.

In all seriousness, we sat in our office for hours debating wether this was a good move or not.

We confided in PR experts, publicists, lawyers, the actual author of the article, our investors, and even my mom!

Many of you agree and many of you disagree with how we played it out.

However, we decided that if the Romney camp would ever contact us, we would want to be the people to introduce them to Bitcoin. We are legally and regulatory compliant on both the state and federal level, follow proper AML procedures and protocols and the poster child of a good Bitcoin business, among many other excellent ones.

We have nothing to hide, and we should all be extremely proud of Bitcoin. Look where the last year has taken us?

There have been ups and downs, but overall we are alive and kickin!

Let them try and shut us down.

...We are more than a community...WE ARE BITCOIN!

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2012, 10:36:24 PM

We are Bitcoin!

Sorry! Couldn't resist.
Portnoy
Legendary

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 11:03:20 PM

Here on the forum, I'm speaking for myself. 

You may find, like perhaps Matthew has, that it is a tricky tightrope to walk. 
As many disclaimers as you may have to post many may still be unable, or reluctant, to see the distinction between your personal views and your business roles.

And it was not a prank, BitInstant's offer is legitimate.

And I'm always professional and responsible... except when I'm not Wink

And I have nothing against unprofessionalism and pranksterism...   it just depends on what you want to accomplish.
Agitate and provoke the establishment etc.,  or run a respectable business catering to the average person within
the established order. 

It seems one may need to choose one or the other. 

Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2012, 11:05:42 PM

Are you speaking as a professional and responsible spokesman of Bitinstant here... or as a prankster needing to vent?     Wink

Ew.

Dont ever compare Matthew with Erik please, thats just disturbing.

What Erik says on this forum, even when speaking personally, is in line with BitInstant, unlike Matt.

I see your point though, but please use a different person next time!

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 11:30:42 PM

Are you speaking as a professional and responsible spokesman of Bitinstant here... or as a prankster needing to vent?     Wink

Ew.

What Erik says on this forum, even when speaking personally, is in line with BitInstant, unlike Matt.

I can vouch on that one.

Comparing Erik with Matthew is like comparing a BMW with a Hyundai.
FLHippy

Activity: 784
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 11:42:16 PM

A Hyundai never gambles it's gasoline away betting that the stop light will turn out to be a disco ball.

WHALES HEAVEN
Custody-free Swapping Platform
◈  ────────  Reddit ⬝  BountyWebsiteTelegramTwitterGitHub  ────────  ◈
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2012, 11:59:02 PM

A Hyundai never gambles it's gasoline away betting that the stop light will turn out to be a disco ball.

Huh? Do you even understand what you just wrote lol

Let's agree that Bruno should be the only one making metaphors here.

Portnoy
Legendary

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 12:57:04 AM

Lol...  but you know I am not comparing them in terms of interests in horsies or playing pirate games or... well I'll stop there...

They are both outspoken with strong personal views while also being front-men of prominent Bitcoin businesses. 

I am just saying good luck with that balancing act and be prepared for all kinds of reactions and perceptions from
a public you would probably rather have as customers than not. 
Portnoy
Legendary

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 01:01:57 AM

Huh? Do you even understand what you just wrote lol

Let's agree that Bruno should be the only one making metaphors here.

Please lets not.  That hyundai image makes more sense than most of Bruno's jokes... if they happen to be jokes and
not paranoid investigations into whether ZT is really the gunman on the grassy knoll... or who knows waht...   Undecided
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 01:04:10 AM

Ew.

According to Matt's own words he is involved in every existing bitcoin company Cheesy

eldentyrell (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 01:40:32 AM

PR fail on multiple level.

If this comes as a surprise you obviously shouldn't be authorized to speak to the media on behalf of a business.

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: