Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:13:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitinstant brokering extortion threats?  (Read 7313 times)
interlagos

Activity: 496
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 12:54:39 PM

Bitcoin won't go away because of Pirate, but it can't prevent other systems from cropping up.
If majority of people consider that one person having 2.5% of coins in possession in one system is a negative thing then that system will get less weight within the set of similar systems where the distribution of coins is more fair.
Eventually the value of that particular coin will reflect that and the natural balance will be established.

Thats a good point. I feel no motivation to keep promoting bitcoin now that some of its richest people are scammers and thieving parasites.

The major problem is that most people are simply unaware of the new systems that are coming.
People using the old system don't necessarily like it, but they simply don't know what else they can do.

Bitcoin in that regard represents the idea of the new system, even though this particular implementation might not be the final solution. Once they get the idea, they'll be able to choose and decide which one of the new systems suits them best.
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
paulie_w

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 01:06:15 PM

TBC, I am of the camp that espouses any exposure to a brand, even negative, is good publicity, but wave upon wave of negativity erodes our precious beach, so to speak.

i don't think there is any evidence of that.
mirelo

Activity: 242
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 01:34:59 PM

I've been paying pretty close attention for a little over a year now. Until recently I kinda just watched and waited while hustling a few coins to pay for my lunch.

Just curious: what made you change your attitude?

Smiley I didn't change my attitude at all. I'm still hustling a few coins to pay for my lunch. Cashing out.

The recent even is I signed up for an account on the forums. And I got a spiffy back injury so I have more time to do things like read this forum while I recover. Silent Hill is on the TV and I'm going to have to re-watch it cause the various high-level bitcoin dramas are more interesting than the horror flick.

I think I just woke up in a shitty state and felt a need to vent about history repeating.

I would rather be sailing. I'm sure you would rather I be sailing also? Smiley

Why don't you just go sailing, then?
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 04:28:48 PM

This ain't the first time you've stuck it up my ass, when all I've HONESTLY done was protect the interests of bitcoiners of which you're one. Let me repeat that a different way. I will go out of my way at my expense, never asking for a satoshi in return, to protect you, Portnoy, from nefarious activities that concern Bitcoin.

That said, the next post I want to see from you in response to this is either an apology and a sticking-it-up-my-ass-further for all the users to read.

What I honestly see from you looks like a lot of spam, more often than not, to me, as if you have to post every little thing that comes into your mind at any given moment onto this forum.
( is that why you chose that handle? You don't have enough brain matter to hold all those thoughts and must spew them out here to keep them from slipping away?   Cheesy )
You yourself used the term "attention whore" for yourself, if only to deny it ( hmm? ).  I didn't call you that but your posts tend to give credibility to that theory.  

Why do you feel the need to be our protector?  You don't have to answer these questions... I would probably prefer you didn't. ( for one thing it is way off-topic for us to be talking about ourselves like this... )  I am not trying to analyze you but just commenting on your posting behavior...  as a way of helping all of us on these forums of which you're one.   Wink  

And its okay that you don't protect me.  I am as old as you and have learned to take care of myself on the internet and elsewhere. One of the things I like about bitcoin is that it is about people taking responsibility for their own money and business dealings.  I don't need some self-appointed Mr. Bitcoin superhero cyber dick* keeping me safe from harm.  

*I chose that term because I am sure you know its older slang meaning and seem to like that kind of word play.
You are a bright guy but can be very annoying with your loooong posts (  Wink )  that go nowhere...  

I say all this not in anger but because you seem to like an honest and forthright manner, especially if it may help you understand yourself and others a little better ( as self-important as it may be for me to say something like that.    Wink  )

Think a little while before deciding to reply to this...  hopefully you will decide that it is not worth replying to every idiot who has an opinion on the internet and will just move on.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 06:21:20 PM

Scammers will destroy bitcoin before the establishment even notice it exists.

Scammers will educate people that the new system is unlike the old one and the rules are quite a bit different.
That education process is now ongoing, and no, it won't destroy Bitcoin Smiley
If anything, the educated ones will move to Litecoin and won't repeat their mistakes again.
This process might need a few more iterations, but we will get there eventually.

Im not interested in funding scammers any longer. If you use bitcoin thats basically what you are doing. Pirate has 500 000 btc Im not interested in making him the new Rockefeller.

This is straight up baloney. The only people funding scam artists are the inept vocal minority. There are plenty of legitimate transactions which happen every day that you are oblivious to, because no one bothers to make ten new threads telling everyone that they've had a successful transaction.

The properties of Bitcoin that make it a desirable currency for scam artists are also properties that make it desirable for regular folks who value privacy. So, if it's working for the bad guys, and apparently it is working quite well, it's also working for the good guys.

If you want charge backs, which is the best defense against the scam artist, and one that the user pays for, why are you using Bitcoin in the first place?

Bitcoin requires the user to be responsible. Period.

Don't worry. Some bright people will realize that some folks are incapable of protecting themselves. So they will create a service that allows charge backs, and charge everyone a fee. Perhaps it already exists in Coinbase?

So Bitcoin will have come full circle, and instead of "funding scam artists" the inept will be "funding middlemen" just like they did before Bitcoin. Except, savvy users will still be able to transact without the middlemen, funding no one except the person the funds were originally intended for.
+1. Insightful.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 01:52:51 AM

This ain't the first time you've stuck it up my ass, when all I've HONESTLY done was protect the interests of bitcoiners of which you're one. Let me repeat that a different way. I will go out of my way at my expense, never asking for a satoshi in return, to protect you, Portnoy, from nefarious activities that concern Bitcoin.

That said, the next post I want to see from you in response to this is either an apology and a sticking-it-up-my-ass-further for all the users to read.

What I honestly see from you looks like a lot of spam, more often than not, to me, as if you have to post every little thing that comes into your mind at any given moment onto this forum.
( is that why you chose that handle? You don't have enough brain matter to hold all those thoughts and must spew them out here to keep them from slipping away?   Cheesy )
You yourself used the term "attention whore" for yourself, if only to deny it ( hmm? ).  I didn't call you that but your posts tend to give credibility to that theory. 

Why do you feel the need to be our protector?  You don't have to answer these questions... I would probably prefer you didn't. ( for one thing it is way off-topic for us to be talking about ourselves like this... )  I am not trying to analyze you but just commenting on your posting behavior...  as a way of helping all of us on these forums of which you're one.   Wink 

And its okay that you don't protect me.  I am as old as you and have learned to take care of myself on the internet and elsewhere. One of the things I like about bitcoin is that it is about people taking responsibility for their own money and business dealings.  I don't need some self-appointed Mr. Bitcoin superhero cyber dick* keeping me safe from harm. 

*I chose that term because I am sure you know its older slang meaning and seem to like that kind of word play.
You are a bright guy but can be very annoying with your loooong posts (  Wink )  that go nowhere...   

I say all this not in anger but because you seem to like an honest and forthright manner, especially if it may help you understand yourself and others a little better ( as self-important as it may be for me to say something like that.    Wink  )

Think a little while before deciding to reply to this...  hopefully you will decide that it is not worth replying to every idiot who has an opinion on the internet and will just move on.

I just now got to reading your reply and don't need a while to think about answering it. I'll concur with a very large percentage of what you've penned and leave it at that. I admire your forthrightfullness, and doing so with a certain amount of tact.

Later, bud.

~Bruno~
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 09:53:56 AM

I just now got to reading your reply and don't need a while to think about answering it. I'll concur with a very large percentage of what you've penned and leave it at that. I admire your forthrightfullness, and doing so with a certain amount of tact.

Later, bud.

~Bruno~

Bruno, I really admire the way you handle these situations and hold back from stepping over the troll line.

Thanks for being you (most of the time)

-Charlie

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 03:38:23 PM

Later, bud.

~Bruno~

Bruno, I really admire the way you handle these situations and hold back from stepping over the troll line.

I've got to admit that I am impressed with the way he took that, even though my post was an honest reply to his post and not a troll.
This is perhaps evidence in the direction of Bruno 'not' being an attention whore... or at least one with somewhat of a handle on it.

Note Bruno that this doesn't now mean I give you carte blanche to post anything you want with impunity.  I reserve the right to be annoyed
but anything I read on these forums.   Wink
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  

Jump to: