Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:42:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining accidents having caused physical damage (overheating hw, fires, etc)  (Read 12116 times)
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 10:37:09 PM

Not a 100% mining related accident, but I found out the hard way that my whole flat has a 16A fuse (which is BEFORE my circuit breaker... and of course irreplaceable without redoing the whole wiring in the flat and probably house).

At least now I know about it and will be more careful when planning to boil water for tea while having the washing machine switched on.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Genrobo

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 10:41:04 PM

My mining rigs have kicked the breaker in my house once, but beyond that I don't have any scary mining stories.

Hardware stories though?
Once I was replacing the thermal paste on my CPU, I got some thermal paste on my hand and didn't wash it off. (That's a BIG mistake depending on what type of thermal paste...)

I now have a permanent chemical burn on my hand from CPU thermal paste...
Any skin I have that grows over the burn dies at a very accelerated rate, it looks like psoriasis.
did you go to the doctor for that?

Nah, I didn't go to a doctor, I went over the affected area with a razor blade as soon as I realized it was burning, to get out the skin and chemicals.
I washed off what I could, and I tried to cut the chemicals out of my skin, but I didn't get all of it.
I don't have prints there anymore.
It's on the right side of my right hand's index finger.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 03:05:50 AM

Who here would be willing to be interviewed for articles on my site, bitcoinminingaccidents.com (reg'd but undeveloped) ?
I would, but you'd have to pay me for it.  Tongue

My mining rigs have kicked the breaker in my house once, but beyond that I don't have any scary mining stories.

Hardware stories though?
Once I was replacing the thermal paste on my CPU, I got some thermal paste on my hand and didn't wash it off. (That's a BIG mistake depending on what type of thermal paste...)

Any skin I have that grows over the burn dies at a very accelerated rate, it looks like psoriasis.

Nah, I didn't go to a doctor, I went over the affected area with a razor blade as soon as I realized it was burning, to get out the skin and chemicals.
I washed off what I could, and I tried to cut the chemicals out of my skin, but I didn't get all of it.
Dang, I had no idea thermal paste could do that!
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 03:10:42 AM

that sounds very painful. That will probably remind me to wear gloves when handling ANY chemical.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 04:13:26 AM

Hardware stories though?

really?  interesting.

what brand of thermal paste, and what was the formulation:  silver?  zinc?  how long did it stay on your skin?  how long have the prints been gone?  much pain?
rezin777

Activity: 154

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 04:21:26 AM

I just realized, this could be valuable information.  Grin
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 04:39:46 AM

I just realized, this could be valuable information.  Grin

took you eight minutes longer than me.  Cool
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 04:48:58 AM

Tell me what thermal paste you were using, I want to put smiley faces into my fingerprints!
pokermon919

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 05:03:01 AM

I'm guessing it was silver compound, when I was in chem class we were told to be very careful with it or we'll get a chemical burn that will stain the skin for a very long time when we were handling solutions with silver in it. Just a guess, lemme know if I'm right plox!
bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 05:05:52 AM

and remember to wash beforehand in the bathroom.
Genrobo

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 05:28:15 AM

It was either Arctic Silver 5 or it was an OEM brand. Those are the only types I've worked with.
I don't remember exactly which it was.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 06:12:51 AM

Strange.  He must be really unlucky.  I've had every imaginable type of heatsinking compound all over my fingers before and never had any side effects from it.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
OVerLoRDI

Activity: 60

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 06:23:22 AM

Typical stuff, cut fingers while working with cheap cases and fingers hurt by fans.

phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2011, 06:50:59 AM

I'll start with one from a friend of mine (who shall remain anonymous): he lives in a place with old 120V electrical wiring. He put a rig of ~1.6kW (~13A), as measured by a kill-a-watt, on a 20A circuit for about half a day, until he started smelling smoke in his apartment, apparently coming from the wiring inside the walls. He completely stopped using this circuit, and now runs his rig on a dedicated 240V circuit. A 20A circuit is normally rated 16A for continuous loads by the National Electric Code, but that old wiring was likely defective and the insulation probably started melting.

Did you actually measure the current with the Kill-a-watt? Most my computer have a power factor of about 0.67. That means that for every 100W (833mA resistive), the actual current draw is closer to 1.24 amps. or in your example, 19.9 amps. My kill-a-watt is only rated to measure up to 15Amps, IIRC.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
mrb (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2011, 07:00:05 AM

Yep, he did measure. I am pretty sure his PSU had active PFC, so pf = 1.0.
OVerLoRDI

Activity: 60

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 01:51:14 AM

I'll start with one from a friend of mine (who shall remain anonymous): he lives in a place with old 120V electrical wiring. He put a rig of ~1.6kW (~13A), as measured by a kill-a-watt, on a 20A circuit for about half a day, until he started smelling smoke in his apartment, apparently coming from the wiring inside the walls. He completely stopped using this circuit, and now runs his rig on a dedicated 240V circuit. A 20A circuit is normally rated 16A for continuous loads by the National Electric Code, but that old wiring was likely defective and the insulation probably started melting.

That is makes me worry.  I am putting a lot of load on my old house wiring.  The electrics were redone sometime after grounded plugs became standard, but it is still very old.  Yay for 100+ year old houses...

Maxxx

Activity: 70
Merit: 11

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 02:06:26 AM

That is makes me worry.  I am putting a lot of load on my old house wiring.  The electrics were redone sometime after grounded plugs became standard, but it is still very old.  Yay for 100+ year old houses...

Yeah, that story actually made me purchase a kill-a-watt.

Time is money. This means that if you have spare time, you can use it to make money.

Modular, open, and stack-able miner case.
gigabytecoin

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 10:40:37 AM

Just almost set my entire mining rig room on fire... With shitty PSUs apparantly.

I hooked up 2*850W raidmax gold PSUs to 6 video cards and it started smoking like crazy.

I can hook up 6 * video cards to a 1200 watt gold psu with no problems whatsoever.

WTF raidmax?!? You made me inhale some kind of weird assed fumes!
rb1205

Activity: 797
Merit: 1017

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 10:55:11 AM

Thank you EU for our 230 V power.

Hey US, enjoy your doubled current drain at your wall socket  Grin

d3m0n1q_733rz

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2011, 12:30:40 PM

Insert Quote
Thank you EU for our 230 V power.

Hey US, enjoy your doubled current drain at your wall socket  Grin
Enjoy your half-assed amperage in yours.    Cool

Funroll_Loops, the theoretically quicker breakfast cereal!
Check out http://www.facebook.com/JupiterICT for all of your computing needs.  If you need it, we can get it.  We have solutions for your computing conundrums.  BTC accepted!  12HWUSguWXRCQKfkPeJygVR1ex5wbg3hAq
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: