Bitcoin Forum
October 02, 2024, 05:34:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: US government is still confiscating private gold  (Read 1830 times)
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 08:16:36 AM

"The Mint meticulously tracked the '33 Double Eagles, and the records show that no such transaction occurred," U.S. District Judge Legrome Davis Jr. wrote in his decision. "What's more, this absence of a paper trail speaks to criminal intent. If whoever took or exchanged the coins thought he was doing no wrong, we would expect to see some sort of documentation reflecting the transaction, especially considering how carefully and methodically the Mint accounted for the '33 Double Eagles."

More importantly, what does this precedent have to do with Yamashita's Gold and the recently confiscated gold-backed Treasury bonds?

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 11:34:23 AM

Sadly this is a drop in the bucket for asset forfeiture in our police state.

dotcom

Activity: 354
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 08:30:07 PM

The actual lessons of this story are to 1. never let the government know you're holding metals and 2. the government will always win on its own turf: the courts.

Don't know the details of this particular story, but I couldn't agree with this statement more
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 08:39:50 PM

Innocent until presumed guilty? Cheesy
This was a civil seizure. The standard is just preponderance of the evidence -- which side makes the stronger case.

If I claim you stole my television and you say you bought it from a guy on the street who swears I sold it to him, the court will just decide which side is more likely to be correct. If there was a higher standard, then the case would just hinge on who went to court first or who had physical possession of the television. Neither of those options make any sense.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: