Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 05:43:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: watching only vs. offline  (Read 750 times)
therealmrmike (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 08:37:53 PM

I've created 2 separate wallets on my PC that's not connected to the internet.   I added one to my connected PC last month and it showed offline in the security box.  The one I did earlier showed "watch only".   What is the difference  is one better than the other?
Thanks
zombieslayer9099

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

Java Coder

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 09:07:31 PM

Watching only is the same thing as offline, it will display Offline in the Security tab when you go to Wallet Properties > Wallet Owner and check off This Wallet is Mine.

Did you know there are 1,461,501,637,330,902,918,203,684,832,716,283,019,655,932,542,976 possible bitcoin addresses? To put that into perspective, that's greater than the width of the universe in zeptometers (10^-21 meter).
  ▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ Cloudmining 101: how to avoid scams  ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁
bryonp

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 04:18:33 PM

Hi I have a question about this type of wallet. If I create the wallet off line, and put 100 bitcoins in it. Then on line I remove the keys??? Im not sure how to keep it totally secure??
Do I create the wallet on line, then copy the wallet on the offline system and move the coins to it off line only... then when I go on line computer it will know that the coins are there???

I guess you can see how I am not sure how to stay totally secure... any info or a link would be so helpful... Thanks
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 04:33:16 PM

Hi I have a question about this type of wallet. If I create the wallet off line, and put 100 bitcoins in it. Then on line I remove the keys??? Im not sure how to keep it totally secure??
Do I create the wallet on line, then copy the wallet on the offline system and move the coins to it off line only... then when I go on line computer it will know that the coins are there???

I guess you can see how I am not sure how to stay totally secure... any info or a link would be so helpful... Thanks

• Create wallet offline
  • Create a watching only copy of that offline wallet
  • Move the watching only wallet to online machine
  • Keep full wallet file on the offline machine only

Malware danger could exist when you're copying the watching only wallet to the online machine. Mitigate by using CD-ROMs to move the file, or operating systems that can keep USB devices quarantined from online devices

Vires in numeris
bryonp

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 05:24:15 PM

OK if I have 100 bit coin delivered via on line. then backup. then open backup on offline wallet. then make new wallet with offline system and copy bitcoins to that offline wallet. then send that watch online to on line wallet.....  I will try.  and copy everything to a CD rather then a usb?Huh
Thanks its much appreciated .....
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 06:12:17 PM

Let's start again.

• Create full wallet offline
  • Encrypt full offline wallet you just created with strong password (Armory will prompt you to do this automatically)
  • Create a watching only copy of that offline full wallet
  • Move the watching only wallet to online machine
  • Keep full wallet file on the offline machine only
  • Generate address with the online watching only wallet
  • Send your 100 coins to the address you just created in the online watching only wallet

The watching only wallet MUST be generated from your full offline wallet. Do not make any mistakes with this, it is your responsibility. You can be sure the watching only copy is definitely derived from the full offline wallet by checking the wallet ID code is the same for each wallet filename. The wallet ID code is also displayed in the Armory application in the wallet info.

Disable external storage device "autostart" feature, on both the online machine and the offline machine. Details of how to do this comprehensively differ depending on the operating system on the each computer. You will need to find instructions to do this for your computer's operating system(s) for yourself. Yes, if possible, use a CD-ROM to transfer the watching wallet copy to the online.

The above represents best practice as far as I am aware at this point in time (and I follow all my own advice with this issue).

Vires in numeris
bryonp

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 07:07:22 PM

Thanks so much! I have some questions, but rather then bug you further... I will just create it and transfer .001 bitcoin and see how it all works.

I am assuming that the offline wallet will not ever show its balance, just the watching one on line? But Like I say I will play around with just a few dollars and get first hand experience.

Thanks for all of your time to help with this issue!
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 07:35:41 PM

Thanks so much! I have some questions, but rather then bug you further... I will just create it and transfer .001 bitcoin and see how it all works.

Good plan

I am assuming that the offline wallet will not ever show its balance, just the watching one on line? But Like I say I will play around with just a few dollars and get first hand experience.

Indeed, there is no way for the offline wallet to know anything about it's balance.

No worries, play carefully.

Vires in numeris
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: