Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 12:06:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: armory downloaded block chain twice  (Read 1134 times)
pflip (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 2

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 06:45:57 AM

Ok,

I need to understand better this.

win 7 64b, armory 0.93.1, bitcoin 0.10

I have Armory installed on a different drive. On the same drive I also have the bitcoin sw.

The settings of armory are pointing to this drive. Everyting is working fine.

I rescanned the entire blockchain, but now i see that armory has put 2 copies of the blocks. One in the said drive (some 38GB of data) and a similar block in the /username/appdata/roaming/armory/databases (another 38GB).

This is an SSD and I don't want it there.

The only difference I see it that the AppData the dir "databases" is made on one giant file named  "blocks" of 36GB  and some other small files (headers, history, txhints and their realtive lock files)  and there is no "blocks" dir.

In the armory directory of the regular drive I have the dir  "blocks" that is made of the hundreds of "*.dat" files totally another 36 GB of data while the dir "databases" is just a small "log" file of 1k.

The bitcoin dir "database" is empty.

So, why do I have 2 sets of 36BG lying around ?  Can I move them in one drive  and if so how ?

I've been using armory since 0.9 so I think I know what I am doing, but this double set of data  is buffling me.

Any help ?

TIA

Pflip

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
opentoe
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2015, 11:56:02 PM

Ok,

I need to understand better this.

win 7 64b, armory 0.93.1, bitcoin 0.10

I have Armory installed on a different drive. On the same drive I also have the bitcoin sw.

The settings of armory are pointing to this drive. Everyting is working fine.

I rescanned the entire blockchain, but now i see that armory has put 2 copies of the blocks. One in the said drive (some 38GB of data) and a similar block in the /username/appdata/roaming/armory/databases (another 38GB).

This is an SSD and I don't want it there.

The only difference I see it that the AppData the dir "databases" is made on one giant file named  "blocks" of 36GB  and some other small files (headers, history, txhints and their realtive lock files)  and there is no "blocks" dir.

In the armory directory of the regular drive I have the dir  "blocks" that is made of the hundreds of "*.dat" files totally another 36 GB of data while the dir "databases" is just a small "log" file of 1k.

The bitcoin dir "database" is empty.

So, why do I have 2 sets of 36BG lying around ?  Can I move them in one drive  and if so how ?

I've been using armory since 0.9 so I think I know what I am doing, but this double set of data  is buffling me.

Any help ?

TIA

Pflip

I just asked this same question in a new thread a few minutes ago. Kind of the same exact situation. I have a 40GB file called BLOCKS in /username/appdata/roaming/armory/databases folder. It was not there prior to me importing my wallet. After the import, file appeared. Need to find out how to change this. Can't mess with the Windows path statement, so I really hope Armory has a solution.

Need help with your Newznab usenet indexer? http://www.newznabforums.com
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1347

Armory Developer

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 12:09:22 PM

This is how Armory's DB has always worked. It copies all block data over to its own DB. If you want to light version, build 0.94 from source and try it out, it's in the ffreeze branch.

opentoe
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2015, 01:59:52 AM

This is how Armory's DB has always worked. It copies all block data over to its own DB. If you want to light version, build 0.94 from source and try it out, it's in the ffreeze branch.

Just to be clear, Armory developers see the issue with how big and how much GB the chain takes up locally right? Hence a "light" version is around? If in fact this is how Armory is why can't there be a setting to point that folder to another location? Why does it have to be on the local drive? Even if Armory is installed on another drive, it still makes these files on the primary drive. I run many portable programs. Can't Armory do something like that? And the chain is only getting larger and larger.

I did see your other comment in the other thread. Looking for the different switches I can use.

Need help with your Newznab usenet indexer? http://www.newznabforums.com
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2015, 04:49:49 AM

Just to be clear, Armory developers see the issue with how big and how much GB the chain takes up locally right? Hence a "light" version is around?

Goatpig already mentioned about v0.94. It is being tested. For now, you will have to build from source.

So, preliminarily 0.94 has stabilized, but it hasn't seen much testing outside "the lab."  I would like to invite folks who can build, to checkout the ffreeze branch (feature-freeze) and try it out while we continue our internal testing.

https://github.com/etotheipi/BitcoinArmory/tree/ffreeze

++ In 0.94 the Armory home dir databases folder should now be less than 150 MB!  This is what we refer to as "headless fullnode"
-- All database formats have changed. You must rebuild your databases! (and we don't have a clean way to help the user transition from the GUI).

-snip-

If in fact this is how Armory is why can't there be a setting to point that folder to another location? Why does it have to be on the local drive? Even if Armory is installed on another drive, it still makes these files on the primary drive. I run many portable programs. Can't Armory do something like that? And the chain is only getting larger and larger.

I did see your other comment in the other thread. Looking for the different switches I can use.

There are already options to do that. Read https://support.bitcoinarmory.com/kb/article/16-change-or-move-the-blockchain-database-storage-location-for-armory-and-bitcoin-core. Alternatively, you can create symlinks. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: